NCPO widens the net over Rajabhakti FB posts

webfact

The Nation

Second arrest made as family searches for detainee's whereabouts

BANGKOK: __ Another suspect was taken into military custody yesterday as authorities intensified their operation against alleged anti-junta individuals who posted, shared or just clicked "like" on Internet posts about the Rajabhakti Park scandal, while police set up a working group to hunt for more suspects.

Thanet Anantawong, 25, was detained yesterday at a military camp for sharing information about the scandal on his Facebook account, a day after a military court issued an arrest warrant for him.

He was charged with lese majeste, sedition and computer crime for sharing an infographic that linked many senior officials in the government and the military to the Rajabhakti scandal, according to Col Burin Thongprapai, a member of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO)'s legal team.

Thanet is the second suspect to be arrested on charges related to the infographic.

Last week, Thanakorn Siripaiboon, a 27-year-old factory worker in Samut Prakarn province, was arrested after sharing the same graphic about the scandal.

Officials believe that Thanakorn and Thanet are members of the same movement, which involves other members who have now opened a new Facebook account launching a campaign against the military. They have posted more false information online about the Rajabhakti Park project, said an official who declined to be named, with the intention to discredit and insult the military and its operations. The official added that the military would seek their arrests.

Meanwhile, human right groups have expressed grave concerns over the secretive prosecution procedures, demanding that the NCPO disclose Thanakorn's whereabout.

"Thanakorn's secret detention should set off flashing red lights - especially since the Thai authorities failed to resolve two recent deaths of detainees in military custody," said Brad Adams, Human Rights Watch Asia director. "Thailand's junta has increasingly flouted international legal protections by holding civilian detainees incommunicado in military camps."

Thanakorn was arrested last Tuesday. The Thai Lawyers for Human Rights (TLHR) association said it has been contacted by Thanakorn's relatives and asked to give legal assistance the following day. The legal group made an inquiry at the Nakhon Chaisri temporary remand facility located in the 11th Military Circle, and was informed by a custodial officer that Thanakorn was not being held there and the facility staff had no idea of his whereabouts.

Detained under Section 44

Meanwhile, a plainclothes military officer from an unknown unit informed the TLHR that Thanakorn was being held in custody under Section 44 of the 2014 Interim Constitution, although he could not provide more information about his whereabouts.

On Friday, Thanakorn's relatives were informed by Samut Prakan police that the case had been reported to the Crime Suppression Division (CSD) and advised them to contact the relevant authorities.

The TLHR then contacted Subdivision 2 of the CSD. "We were informed by the CSD police that the case had been reported to them and the arrest warrant against Thanakorn issued, but he had not yet been sent to police custody," the TLHR said in a statement.

Burin, from the NCPO's legal team, said officials would bring Thanakorn to the CSD today and might ask permission from a military court to continue his detention.

Pawinee Chumsri, a lawyer with the TLHR, said she would wait with Thanakorn's mother today at the CSD offices to see if the military handed him over to police.

In a related development, Pol Maj-General Chayapol Chatchaidej of Royal Thai Police's Strategic Office said police would set up a working group focused on cases related to the Rajabhakti scandal as the military arrests more suspects.

"People should not share, post or click 'like' on any information about a diagram on the scandal, otherwise they could face legal consequences in accordance with the law on computer crimes," Chayapol said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/NCPO-widens-the-net-over-Rajabhakti-FB-posts-30274858.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-12-14

A new low for this government. The responsible PM would have ordered a transparent enquiry into which authority figures dipped into the cookie jar, not a witch-hunt into persons that "liked" amateur sleuthing efforts online. Shocking really.

A new low for this government. The responsible PM would have ordered a transparent enquiry into which authority figures dipped into the cookie jar, not a witch-hunt into persons that "liked" amateur sleuthing efforts online. Shocking really.

Learning the ' disappearing ' trick from best new friends China.

One can only wish that (in the future) the low-life hiding under Section 44 are brought to justice for their crimes against the Thai people.

Yeah, but of course they gave themselves amnesty. And then to think that all the trouble began with another amnesty bill, even though that one wasn't quite as far reaching and would have benefited quite a few more people biggrin.png

So, anyone who opposes this despotism is automatically assumed to be part of a 'movement'? And what's with charging these Facebook users with LM? If any party deserves that charge, it's those who enriched themselves at the expense of charitable donations to honor the monarchy.

They have started with face book, how long before they start on forums like this one?One thing that you may have not concidered, is that when you get locked up or kicked out of LOS, for spouting off about the current Juna ,the first thing your parner will do is go back to his/her old place of employment and pick up a new sugar daddy and won't give you a second thought or your predicament.wai.gif

Thailand is fast becoming a very dark place.

Consider someone stumbling on your open Facebook page in an Internet cafe , after you forget to log out.

They simply could add LM pics or statements and you get 30 years prison.

Or they could ""like "" things that get you 15.

Or do both to get you 45.

This means Thailand is no longer safe.

It's very dangerous if your clumsy and forget to log out.

Or if your accused in an anti western environment .

Don't pay police bribes.

Or are in the wrong place at wrong time.

It's only a matter of time.

Fear is now everywhere .

It's sad.

US envoy's don't escape the witch hunts.

It's remarkable and it's only the beginning.

I seriously left because I foresaw this months ago.

Visit with caution .

But warning signs are this is going to get significantly worse before better.

They may be slicing their own wrists rounding up people who dare speak up.

But sanctions now are almost certain to follow.

I think the visiting MR Russell may give them some home truths shortly

( visiting American high ranking official)

This will spiral downwards fast.

You basically risk liberty going there to some degree

Edited by Plutojames88

Consider someone stumbling on your open Facebook page in an Internet cafe , after you forget to log out.

Don't pay police bribes.

Fear is now everywhere .

It's sad.

Visit with caution .

They may be slicing their own wrists rounding up people who date speak up.

You're dead right! I feel sorry for any of the guys who made a life there with a family and are beginning to feel stuck and powerless. These are the ones who will suffer most. I also fear for them if the international community gives this toy military a rude awakening: anything like sanctions and they will go after foreigners one way or another. Knee-jerk reactions with sledgehammers is exactly how this group of individuals roll.

Folk who openly criticize these junta people should be aware a forum is NOT truly anonymous. You should protect yourself with VPN or similar methods or just not be in Thailand, safe out of harm's way of their Mickey Mouse laws and outdated bully-boy tactics.

Edited by Squeegee

Don't pay police bribes.

Fear is now everywhere .

It's sad.

Visit with caution .

You're dead right! I feel sorry for any of the guys who made a life there with a family and are beginning to feel stuck and powerless. These are the ones who will suffer most. I also fear for them if the international community gives this toy military a rude awakening: anything like sanctions and they will go after foreigners one way or another. Knee-jerk reactions with sledgehammers is exactly how this group of individuals roll.

Folk who openly criticize these junta people should be aware a forum is NOT truly anonymous. You should protect yourself with VPN or similar methods or just not be in Thailand, safe out of harm's way of their Mickey Mouse laws and outdated bully-boy tactics.

This post will probably disappear very quickly but I have to say there are some involved with all aspects of the forum that would likely fall over themselves to assist officials sort us out.

Considering the junta has no problem with going after their own people that are asking for independent and transparent investigations, and then going after people that click like on FB, followed with secret detections and charges, Will they go after foreigner's for the same thing, yes I know they are investigating the US ambassador for his comments regardless diplomatic immunity, not sure about the UK envoy for his support on the issue, but what about the average bloke down the road? and what would the world think if it comes to that?

Don't pay police bribes.

Fear is now everywhere .

It's sad.

Visit with caution .

This post will probably disappear very quickly but I have to say there are some involved with all aspects of the forum that would likely fall over themselves to assist officials sort us out.

I agree cut back posting and just watch over the next few years

Edited by LannaGuy

so when they should be widening their net to catch the corrupt officials, this bunch of clowns is widening the net to capture more people from a FB group, tossing them in a reprimand military prison, and charging them with LM so they can try them in secret in a military court and give them multiple decade sentences...

And to imagine that there are still junta cheerleaders on this forum. coffee1.gif

How typical of this government. Rather than focus on investigating the allegations of corruption they focus ALL their efforts on arresting Thai people who just want to express their opinions.

...and Prayut says he wants Democracy...right!

"Shocking really."

This is deeply troubling but not shocking. This had to happen as the whole stinking mess starts unraveling.

So, anyone who opposes this despotism is automatically assumed to be part of a 'movement'? And what's with charging these Facebook users with LM? If any party deserves that charge, it's those who enriched themselves at the expense of charitable donations to honor the monarchy.

I have been trying to find the connection about how they got the LM charge as well simply for sharing or clicking like on a diagram showing their idea as to how the corruption was accomplished. This has nothing to do with His majesty at all except for the fact the park is made to honour the kings

I was also unaware about the deaths reported here for detainees at their attitude adjustment camps.

They have started with face book, how long before they start on forums like this one?One thing that you may have not concidered, is that when you get locked up or kicked out of LOS, for spouting off about the current Juna ,the first thing your parner will do is go back to his/her old place of employment and pick up a new sugar daddy and won't give you a second thought or your predicament.wai.gif

What makes you think we all met our partners in an entertainment place?

Get a life.

What makes you think we all met our partners in an entertainment place?

Get a life.

What makes him think you didn't ??facepalm.gif