Benefit of Travel Agent over Skyscanner?

Sawan Chan 7

My old travel agent quoted me Bangkok to London with British Airways for 32,000 baht.

I went to skyscanner and can book it myself for 25,000 baht.

Why the big difference? is there something I am missing? Are there any benefits going through a travel agent?

With myself and family the saving is considerable.

For simple flights, use an aggregator to get an idea of airlines and prices. Then go directly to the airlines website and book there. You'll get the same price 95% of the time. If problems arise, they'll be better equipped to help you as opposed to an online company in another country.

For complex flights, agents can really help out. It's worth the extra money.

I can't see any use for them personally. I prefer doing the homework and booking myself

For complex flights, it's impossible to do what an agent does. Some airlines don't even show up on search engines. And putting together open jaw, multi destination, etc, flights, is difficult....if not impossible to do without an agent.

And sometimes, their package deals are really good value. If that's what you're looking for...

I could go directly to BA and get the flight but we are coming back on different days and she is getting a extra fight from Aberdeen to London on the way back.

They can sort that out quickly for you. Trying to do this on your own is painful. I've done this before, but also made mistakes and had to call them to fix it! LOL

whistling.gif Not always true, but often on-line is the best way these days.

However try booking a 3rd party ticket, one you pay for a flight that someone else catches at another airport.....such as flying your mother from Heathrow to Bangkok and she picks up the ticket in Heathrow without access to the credit card you will use to book the flight in Bangkok.

Now a case like that, (yes it can be done) is too complex for a computer booking system to handle, only a human being can sort that kind of thing out.

And yes, I have found cases where a discount on a flight to a certain place on a certain date was only available from an agent and not on line.

P.S. What I often due is to use a ticket condolidater to find the best and cheapest flight I want, and then with that info go to the airline and request that flight on that date on the date and route I already know is the best deal.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone recommend a good travel agent? I used t use Mox Travel but they seem to have closed.

I have some special needs which don't lend themselves to online booking (want long layover when switching planes, prefer specific aircraft types etc).

Can someone recommend a good travel agent? I used t use Mox Travel but they seem to have closed.

I have some special needs which don't lend themselves to online booking (want long layover when switching planes, prefer specific aircraft types etc).

Can you tell us the routing? If it can be with a specific airline (or ones that are part of an alliance) calling their reservation department works out pretty good. A few years ago I had to come here with my mom, dog, lots of luggage, multiple airports, etc. The airline agent sorted it all out for me, got me great prices, etc. Worked pretty good....just a thought....

Only benefit too use Local travel agent is most take Cash payment no Credit Card Required..

Or if you want Itinerary with hotel airfare transport all paid for in a package deal like the Koreans do I guess...

What other flight service you guys use??

Skyscanner

Hipmunk

Kayak

Momondo

Orbits

I have use both Skysanner and Hipmunk with good results

That being said i always check airline price as well before i book flights

If possible Make booking 30 days in advance is best way too save money IMHO

There are other benefits to a travel agent if you have specific requirements of a sort not suited to online booking.

In my case I fly bkk-NY and as I am completely unable to sleep on planes, and there has to be at least 1 stop involved anyhow, I need a routing that connects through an airport with a transit hotel and a connection that has a layover of at least 8 hours. The last part is the problem, the online bookings always go to the most direct routing and often will not show options with longer layovers. For example, I can't get Asiana to show anything but an almost immediate connection though I am sure it is possible to have a longer lay over.

So what I was looking for was a travel agent I could actually communicate with (as opposed to just another online booking). Mox Travel was great with this back when they were in business.

Will check out T.V. Air

There are other benefits to a travel agent if you have specific requirements of a sort not suited to online booking.

In my case I fly bkk-NY and as I am completely unable to sleep on planes, and there has to be at least 1 stop involved anyhow, I need a routing that connects through an airport with a transit hotel and a connection that has a layover of at least 8 hours. The last part is the problem, the online bookings always go to the most direct routing and often will not show options with longer layovers. For example, I can't get Asiana to show anything but an almost immediate connection though I am sure it is possible to have a longer lay over.

So what I was looking for was a travel agent I could actually communicate with (as opposed to just another online booking). Mox Travel was great with this back when they were in business.

Will check out T.V. Air

Try calling Asiana. We flew JAL quite a few years ago and wanted a 3 day layover in Tokyo on the outbound segment. They helped put it together, but it did cost a bit more.

That's a looooong flight!

I use to follow the flight deals with these guys, and they do have a Thai phone number:

http://www.asiatravel.com/allthailand.html?sid=8018&trck=&lan=

And many years ago use to hear good things about these guys:

http://www.travelconnecxion.com/charlie_connection_travel.php