High Season ?

si196

Just an observation.

One of my preferred places has free standard rooms all the month into January except for two or three days around New Year.

I remember a year when I could not get a room in February as a walk in.

Good for me as I want to be there a few days in January without planning ahead.

WOW free rooms? They must be really struggling if they are giving their rooms away. goof.gif

Den

The beach and surroundings is busy, go past buakhao and its dead.

I am surrounded by 5 hotels and we all on good terms, price ranging from 500 to 2500 and we are all empty , 2-3 rooms.

No doubt hotels with contracts to Chinese or Korean groups are full but it does not help most other businesses

Just an observation.

One of my preferred places has free standard rooms all the month into January except for two or three days around New Year.

They are not the only ones. I am in the same boat, even the New Years is still not fully booked

I am always amazed at how little people that post on TV really know, but I guess most that they know is gained from the bar stool at their favourite bar, especially the ones from Pattaya, unless you have or had a business in Pattaya or speak with the Thai business people it is very hard to know how busy it is. looking at people walking around or seeing the tour buses with Chinese don't do much for business, the Chinese don't spend money it is all per paid for in China.

Many times I see posted on here the high season starts after December , that is really wrong, most business in tourists places are charged one amount of rent for the high season and a lower rent for the low season, the high season starts in October and the high rent starts in October until May, low season is June ,July , August , September, . easy to check just ask any one that has a business for tourist .

As for hotels being full that is wrong also, many are still discounting a lot, occupancy way down in most hotels, one way to know if the hotels are doing well, they let off fireworks when the hotel reaches full occupancy normally late at night, have not heard many fireworks this year yet, and not many last year, the years before many fireworks every night. again easy to check just ask any hotel they will tell you.

Many Farangs don't realize the big affect that the Russian tourist stopped coming to Pattaya had on all business in Pattaya,,, Russian tourist not the ones living in Pattaya,,,, some Russians are still come but numbers are way down, many business gone broke many not making money like before, things are not good for business in Pattaya.

have you heard the expression " put a sock in it?" You think you know everything about pattaya? You don't. Lol

Just an observation.

WOW free rooms? They must be really struggling if they are giving their rooms away. goof.gif

Den

As a non native speaker I sometimes fall in such traps.

Of course "available".

Not free, not even reduced compared to other years.

Edited by KhunBENQ

of course its busy and his season, the place is full active and the hotel rooms are far and few between.

it happens every year and it won't stop high season guaranteed from November 15, to April.

Total BS. No problem finding rooms. I'm paying half what I paid last year. Chinese - yes. Lots of 'em. Their tour busses are doing a pretty fine job of clogging up Beach Rd and making it look busier than it really is. Without them, Pattaya would be a ghost town. Even the crowd for the fireworks festival was down from last year. Christmas & New Years? We'll have to wait & see. Business owners doing everything they can to talk it up of course, but actually down noticeably from last year.

Seems to be rockin' and rollin' nicely; at least if you go out late-nights. Nine o'clock in the morning really is not a valid test period!

Air lines from Europe jack-up their prices around 10 December until about the end of the 2nd week in January, so the high-season crowd seem to come in 2 waves; the first lot at the end of November, then those who like to spend Christmas at home around mid-January; so expect things to be pretty busy until around mid-March.

It's probably true that many go-go bars are quiet, but with some 86 go-gos now there are simply too many, and too few attractive dancers to staff them or punters to keep them in business; except of course for the very special ones. But for that fine dining experience or the dream condo room, if you haven't booked you might be disappointed.

I am always amazed at how little people that post on TV really know, but I guess most that they know is gained from the bar stool at their favourite bar, especially the ones from Pattaya, unless you have or had a business in Pattaya or speak with the Thai business people it is very hard to know how busy it is. looking at people walking around or seeing the tour buses with Chinese don't do much for business, the Chinese don't spend money it is all per paid for in China.

Many times I see posted on here the high season starts after December , that is really wrong, most business in tourists places are charged one amount of rent for the high season and a lower rent for the low season, the high season starts in October and the high rent starts in October until May, low season is June ,July , August , September, . easy to check just ask any one that has a business for tourist .

As for hotels being full that is wrong also, many are still discounting a lot, occupancy way down in most hotels, one way to know if the hotels are doing well, they let off fireworks when the hotel reaches full occupancy normally late at night, have not heard many fireworks this year yet, and not many last year, the years before many fireworks every night. again easy to check just ask any hotel they will tell you.

Many Farangs don't realize the big affect that the Russian tourist stopped coming to Pattaya had on all business in Pattaya,,, Russian tourist not the ones living in Pattaya,,,, some Russians are still come but numbers are way down, many business gone broke many not making money like before, things are not good for business in Pattaya.

have you heard the expression " put a sock in it?" You think you know everything about pattaya? You don't. Lol

So you think you know more about Pattaya than 'merlen10002', who in your opinion should 'put a sock in it'. From your brief response to his post it appears you are the person to enlighten TV members on the current economic status of Pattaya, now that it's supposed to be boom time there. Please give us all the facts and figures about tourist numbers, hotel occupancy rates etc.to make your post a little bit more credible.

Don't forget the bad exchange with the euro and the fact that Europe isn't a very happy place at the moment. Nearly all of my usual friends who comfortably retired , normally spend around 4 comfortable months in Phuket through winter are not coming . Thailand isn't cheap any more !

I guess your user name says it all about you, it doesn't take much for you to get your nickers in knot. hate to see what would happen with you if someone posted some that was really worth getting upset about. what is your problem anyway.

I totally agree... Some hotels still give 50% discount, and normally this time of the year, it is a nightmare to go down Pattaya Tai to reach Pattaya 2nd road or beach road.. Same, 3rd road is normally packed.. Nowadays, quite easy to go even at 11.30 in the morning, which I normally absolutely avoid at this time of the year..

Yes LOTS of russians disappeared and LOTS of second hand condos for sale, even with discounts don't find buyers..

I heard a pretty high number of businesses closed down in Kho Chang as buses don't go there and few "common" tourists to be seen, even resorts close apparently

Have a nice day..

you are right about Kho Chang. I was there just a few weeks ago and it seemed like every other business was up for sale including resorts. The trouble is so many business owners want to sell up and get out that the agents/brokers have so many on the books they are totally disinterested in taking on any more listings. so some business owners feel totally helplesssad.png

I live on the darkside and try and avoid the town as much as possible.

However, I had to go to Immigration yesterday and it was like a crowded menagerie!. I've never seen so many people in there and I was struck by the number of eastern Europeans among the queues.

Thank goodness I was only doing my 90 day. Don't know if it was just a bad day or a reflection of the numbers in town.

Seems to be rockin' and rollin' nicely; at least if you go out late-nights. Nine o'clock in the morning really is not a valid test period!

Air lines from Europe jack-up their prices around 10 December until about the end of the 2nd week in January, so the high-season crowd seem to come in 2 waves; the first lot at the end of November, then those who like to spend Christmas at home around mid-January; so expect things to be pretty busy until around mid-March.

It's probably true that many go-go bars are quiet, but with some 86 go-gos now there are simply too many, and too few attractive dancers to staff them or punters to keep them in business; except of course for the very special ones. But for that fine dining experience or the dream condo room, if you haven't booked you might be disappointed.

Just as "nine o'clock in the morning" is not the best barometer of tourist levels, neither is the high-end crowd, which is pretty much immune to whatever economic conditions prevail at home and elsewhere, oblivious to Thailand's deteriorating standards of service & behavior, and will probably continue to come if they're used to Thailand and have become accustomed to it no matter what. But the high end lies at one end of a large bell curve. It's by no means the big picture. And if by "rockin' & rollin', you mean the open air bars with live music - of COURSE they're still belting it out. That's what they DO. It's about all they do. No, the bloom is off the rose as far as Pattaya is concerned. NO problem with hotel rooms (again, except perhaps those high-end condo rooms - see my earlier comments about high end tourists). "Fine dining"? If you say so. Can you cite some examples of unobtainable restaurant reservations? I don't seek out the ultra high end, but aside from the restaurants which attract the Chinese tour crowds, some of which are doing a land office business, I most often have NO trouble getting a table, without reservations, almost anywhere. The businesses which are doing the best are those, usually foreign-owned, who have accumulated a loyal clientele/repeat business/solid reputation over the years, and maintained their standards. That's the minority, and I think current conditions are incentivizing many of these heretofore successful businesses to sell out to local owners, unfortunately. The economic squeeze is definitely on in Pattaya. Edited by hawker9000

Why is it that the Chinese always hunt in packs?

Can't they book a holiday by themselves? I was in Pattaya after the golf at Amata Spring, and in 2nd road there must have been 50 to 80 chinese altogether, halfway covering the road. Then there was the stupid tour guide with a red flag on his head....they are like frickin ants swarming about, if one moves, they all move...

Why is it that the Chinese always hunt in packs?

Can't they book a holiday by themselves? I was in Pattaya after the golf at Amata Spring, and in 2nd road there must have been 50 to 80 chinese altogether, halfway covering the road. Then there was the stupid tour guide with a red flag on his head....they are like frickin ants swarming about, if one moves, they all move...

Yep....saw them today on the golf course too. Red ants. Thousands of them laugh.png

I have over 200 small business customers in Pattaya and can confirm this Peak Session is a complete FAIL. Hotels are at best 50% average occupancy and we are still able to get rooms at all major locations. Beaches are empty and clubs from what i see are just trying to survive. Locals and Expats make up the largest amount of business currently not tourists.

What months are considered "high season" verses "low season"? Lastly what is the rainy season, cool season, or hot season?

One other note that is not being discussed is the all out war on Farangs and Visa's! I had the pleasure of living in Thailand for nearly 3 years. Had to leave to renew my Visa Non B which expired in July but they stamped me in for my last 90 days which put me out around the first of October. The cost of getting this Visa rose again in price to 800$. US Not expensive when compared to the PE visa regime but enough to make me look some place else to live. Now I'm considering Belize for the winter. Although rent will be more, air fare round trip is down right cheap, and flight time a mere 6 hours compared with 23 hours from Ohare. Thailand has an immigration problem and reather than address the problems they thrown the baby out with the dirty water.

Until a simple Visa can be established that allows foreigners to come and stay the winter months or year round and not require large amounts of money be held in banks for proof of what I don't know the White Crowd will continue to diminish!

Far more subdued this year,punters looking for fun city,not having much fun,hardly would know Christmas was on us,no effort with decorations for sure.

Few bars and I mean few got limited crowds in that has only materialised last few days,down Soy Boocow,the laying of water pipes has added to congestion,.....days after Christmas Ill be looking for pics of Christmas past,blink and Ive missed it

I have over 200 small business customers in Pattaya and can confirm this Peak Session is a complete FAIL. Hotels are at best 50% average occupancy and we are still able to get rooms at all major locations. Beaches are empty and clubs from what i see are just trying to survive. Locals and Expats make up the largest amount of business currently not tourists.

What months are considered "high season" verses "low season"? Lastly what is the rainy season, cool season, or hot season?

Study the published room rates of an arbitrary hotel and you get an idea.

From the website of a budget hotel in Soi Buakhao:

MAY-SEP 1050

OCT 1100

NOV 1250

DEC-JAN 1350

FEB 1250

MAR-APR 1140

Some places even have an extra rate for Christmas/New Year (like 23 DEC to 5 JAN or so).

Edited by KhunBENQ

like a ghost town near Big C extra, but many Chinese here, you do not see them spend money however. Not good for local economy

With more Chinese tourists, the big losers will be the lady boys, prostitutes in gogo bars and alcohol sellers.

Which will in turn improve the quality available as the lower end is slowly weeded out due to non-profitability.

Low seasons are a win for expats. I have no idea why people who make their money elsewhere are concerned about the "lowness" of high seasons. Bring them on I say. The lower the better.

Its very crowded everywhere you go in central Pattaya now, I guess thats a good sign for high season. Not so much in Jomtien , but still busy enough.

If there were some way to factor out the Chinese (and their juggernaut tour busses, which gum up traffic no end), it'd be indistinguishable from the low season.

Its very crowded everywhere you go in central Pattaya now, I guess thats a good sign for high season. Not so much in Jomtien , but still busy enough.

If there were some way to factor out the Chinese (and their juggernaut tour busses, which gum up traffic no end), it'd be indistinguishable from the low season.

Something like that. But with the exception of thousands of white males walking/lying around smoking cigarettes all day.

This group is getting just about as bad as the Asian males.

Edited by morrobay