Kitchen Drawer Unit Detaching - which Glue?

SantiSuk

One of my wooden kitchen units has come unstuck from its concrete and tile host. See pictures attached or below if I have inserted the pictures correctly.

Clearly the builder used caulking sealant to stick them in 5 years ago and presumably that's a good idea as an outer trail to provide a water seal against liquids dripping down the unit. It would be nice to put a layer of something else more adhesive inside that though - so I don't have to repeat the task in 5 years time.

Suggestions as to which adhesive? Plus where can buy if its not something that's widely available in the usual watsadu branches?

post-74421-0-34392800-1450340390_thumb.jpost-74421-0-35349000-1450340549_thumb.j

Are the units full 'box'?

I might be tempted to ADD some 'anchor' bolts though the back of the box cabinet (or alternately attached 90° to the sidewalls of the box if backing board not possible) to act as a pulley to keep the box cabinet snug in the cavity against the back wall.

Re-apply the caulk, then tighten the new anchor bolts until snug.

I recommend the Sika Brand or a similar Poly Urethane glue, should be available in white. Sold in most major chains like HomePro and Thai Watsadu. post-249309-0-62969900-1450342803_thumb.

It takes some skill to apply it properly. I recommend you use a masking tape to tape up your kitchen fittings before applying the caulk.

For masking tapes, i recommend the Nitto Tape Brand. All other brands sold in Thailand are pretty much unusable, since they all leave sticky residues if you leave them on for more than 1 day. post-249309-0-75807000-1450342837_thumb.

The Nitto Tape will be slightly harder to find. But try your luck at hardware stores.

I attached reference photos for both product.

Ask for "silicone" and get the one in a tube - check the color to make sure it's white. Unless it's just the open drawer that is causing the gap you will need to do something else though (like ^^). Be sure to scrape off the old bead first.

Edited by bankruatsteve

I am about to fit the same units myself. Never even considered anything other than a couple of screws each side.

I cant believe people use silicone; that should only be used to fill a very small gap between the archtrave and tbe tiles.

Just push it back and fit one screw each side.

Edited by eyecatcher

Thanks guys - I'll investigate the possibilities of tieing/screwing it down from the sides/back and aslo thanks for the detailed ID on materials for glueing MorganWu

Clean off the existing silicone with a Stanley knife/blade and buy some "Strong as Nails" (or is it tough as nails) and stick back on with this..........extremely strong and have used it for similar applications inside and outside.

Well, I don't know if you want to glue them in just in case they should need to be removed at some point. (I needed to remove the ones I have to clean out a bad case of mold.) My units just set in place with a slightly snug fit - so don't have anything securing them. If a loose fit, can fold up some paper and wedge into the sides. Actually, the silicone probably isn't necessary either unless it just makes you feel better about it.

I have a number of similar cabinet units mounted inside concrete kitchen floor cabinet unit which also has the sink/HOB. The cabinets are in essence a box within the concrete, with the box retained by screws into the side of the shelf unit. The screws are set into anchors in the concrete, two on each site.