New Thai alcohol laws come into effect from January

webfact

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for the small ma & pa shops that have been operating for years just to be told now that with this new law they are basically going to lose their livelihood. Absolutely no use of brains from the people in BKK. Just as Jaywalker mentioned, a simple use of the existing ID checking law and there would be no need for this complete retarded action from the powers that be.

I guess they'll continue sell alcohol like they do on elections, buddhist non alcohol days and outside the hours.....

Every single store on my street sells alcohol 365 days a year.

What a bull shi7

There will still be alcohol sold within the (vaguely established lines) zones. Note that there are many bars,nightclubs,karaoke bars ,that are operating illegally nightly..As long as these establishments pay the BIB your alcoholic life will not be affected.This is just another way for the BIB to increase their Mercedes payments.

But didn't they scrap the 300m rule, in favor of something more vague, decided by the police?

As I recall, yes - the 300m was replaced with "near". This thread all seems to be based on somebody revisiting a long past BP story.

The article linked to in the OP is dated today so it's not some old link being misreported from last year.

I'm in Hua Hin so maybe if I get a chance I'll check out this 'Mondo Vino' place for myself and ask them about the closing.

I've never heard of it before now but I googled it and these came up :

They're on facebook here : https://www.facebook.com/mondovino.huahinthailand

and they have a website here : http://www.mondovino.co.th

True but the OP refers to an older post in the BP as its source. I asked a friendly bar owner in ThongLor and he's never heard of it.

A quick google gives the most recent references to this being 5 months back, when the "law" was bering reversed.

Edited by Snig27

The "Government" in BKK is cranking out laws and police orders at a record pace. The rest of Thailand and it's ruling local "Chieftains" will classify all this merely as "recommendations". As they always have, They will interpret those "recommendations" at their own discretion.

Go to 2 different Amphoe's, Immigration Offices, Land Offices, local Police etc. etc. and you will exactly know what I am talking about.

Thailand is politically an extremely federalist country. So, whenever the "recommendations" originating from BKK get too absurd and bizarre, they will be either ignored or "adapted" to suit local needs and circumstances.

As long as this persists, Thailand can not be fully controlled/governed by any centralized government sitting in BKK. = The alcohol-law will not need "creative adaptation", it will simply be ignored and die of natural causes.

Cheers.

Is there any official map of Bangkok,

with proportional 300m circles around each school, so you can see where you even still can buy Alcohol.

The whole may well be quite problematic.

Maybe there are exceptions.

Of course could even be a nice source of income for certain uniformed persons.

Bureaucracy is honey for corruption

I can hear the Vietnamese tourism people laughing from here.

Mate, you can freely smoke weed outside restaurants in Viet Nam and get a bottle of Saigon Green for as little as 14 baht and 25 satang. 20 Craven A cigarettes are less than 32 baht.

Getting visas? Walk into a shop, pay 50 USD and after 3 days your passport is returned with another 3 months for you to stay. No going to immigration, nevermind border runs to another country.

People in the service industry, even in cheap restaurants know how to smile and say "Enjoy your meal, sir."

There are kids laughing and playing everywhere. The population is happy and the country is booming.

Plus it's Heaven for anyone with a thing for thighs on bikes....

Darn it, I didn't want to be saying things like this on TVF!

Craven A, that takes me back about 50 years.

Take me back a little further

I used to own a pub, now I'm a teacher. Thank God I got out when I did!

Yes, because teachers are highly regarded these days.

I assume you intend some irony in your comment, to which I would say that I couldn't give a flying f**t whether I am highly regarded or otherwise. I earn a 6 figure monthly salary and am no longer subject to Thailand's increasingly erratic, draconian and unequally enforced alcohol laws. Nuff said!

I assume you intend some irony in your comment, to which I would say that I couldn't give a flying f**t whether I am highly regarded or otherwise. I earn a 6 figure monthly salary and am no longer subject to Thailand's increasingly erratic, draconian and unequally enforced alcohol laws. Nuff said!

But your still a Millwall fan. Nuff said!

But your still a Millwall fan. Nuff said!

I bear that cross stoically!

• 2 weeks later...