Sainthood for Mother Teresa confirmed after Vatican recognises second miracle

rooster59

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She never lifted up anyone from the misery of extreme poverty!

I take it you've never been to Calcutta and are just spouting out made up Hitchens-esque drivel now.

If you're not a Catholic, why so wound up by something that is none of your business, nor affects you in the slightest?

Edited by Youaredoomed

Most of the naysayers are loser expat sex tourist types whose only positive contributions to the society in which they live, is to marry some NEP dirtbag or bung same 1000B for a roll in some sperm soaked mattress, get a job shouting English at a load of disinterested brats and then think they are the Mayor of Nakhorn Nowhere....

How disgusting. You must have a mind like a sewer to create that lot.

Now of great interest is that spidermike007 'liked' your filthy post, yet only a few posts earlier he himself contributed this to us:

I met her many years ago, on a trip to Calcutta. I asked to see her, for spiritual guidance, and she took the time to see me. She gave me a very wise answer to my dilemma at that time. She exhibited nothing but humility, kindness and sincerity.

Well spidermike007, you were right on one count if you 'like' youaredoomed's post you are definitely in need of some spiritual guidance. Her answer was clearly not wise enough because I guess you, who must claim to be a religious man (do you claim yourself virtuous?) actually 'like' one of the most disgustingly worded posts I have seen on TV. What a pity you cannot match her 'humility, kindness and sincerity'...or maybe you do!

Youaredoomed, thank you for the lesson in the type of company to avoid. Just because people disagree with the idea of beatifying this woman you come out with a disgraceful slur against them. Nice! Was it done in the pub? And to think the supporters of making this woman a Saint are people like you and spidermike007. You ironic!! Hells Angel indeed.

What a well thought out reply....I think I walloped a nerve there......how was that mattress?

No nerves walloped don't think yourself that good. As for the mattress - yuk! What a world you live in.

I take it you've never been to Calcutta and are just spouting out made up Hitchens-esque drivel now.

If you're not a Catholic, why so wound up by something that is none of your business, nor affects you in the slightest?

Returned from India last week, over there again beginning of January. Lost count of the number of times I have been there. I assume from the fact that you think i have no business commenting because I am not a catholic that you are a catholic because you comment. Figures with the filth that comes out in your posts. Go's with the whole Peadophillia and sex abuse theme of the Catholic church. If it has not escaped your notice this is a public news forum which is here for people to make comment. I do not need your permission to exercise that right.

As taxpayers we all subsidize religions either directly with cash or indirectly through the tax cuts that religious organizations get.

Yes I get wound up when I see my money wasted on religion.

May god forgive you. biggrin.png

Let's assume that the universe is banana shaped and that there is a god.

(that banana statement is borrowed from Monty Python's King Arthur movie)

Starting from those postulates, what is the statistical chance that god is the christian god?

Therefore it is very probable that god will be pleased when people bash that Romanian nun.

Ah the art of deduction.

All this assuming that the universe is banana shaped and that there is a god of course.

She is from Macedonia.

May god and Alexander The Great forgive me for mixing up those funny Balkan countries.

Never mind. At the time she was born it was part of Kosovo and that is where she is generally considered to be from.

She is from Macedonia.

May god and Alexander The Great forgive me for mixing up those funny Balkan countries.

Not that it makes any difference but as far as I know she was Ethnically Albanian

She was born to Albanian parents in an ethnically Albanian area then part of Kosovo in the ottoman empire, later part of Yugoslavia and of late a country created after the breakup of Yugoslavia that calls itself Macedonia but certainly not Greek. It is a politically charged situation in the region.

When she was born and for most of her life Macedonia the country did not exist , what existed was the Greek province of Macedonia of which she was not part of.

So she was neither Romanian nor Macedonian but rather Albanian.

I guess it is fair ti say, that area of the world has a very complicated history.

And for the detractors, I have two questions.

1. Who else can you name, that has made the kind of impact that this women made, on so many lives of desperation, in our lifetime?

2. What great acts have you devoted yourself to, that allows you to question the lifetime of achievement, of this great woman?

Not responding to #2, as I'm not questioning her achievement(s).

But for #1...

Deng Xiao Ping. His policies directly/indirectly "led the greatest poverty alleviation program in the history of the world. During that time, an estimated 500 million Chinese were lifted out of extreme poverty."

http://www.trust.org/item/20140408110950-ndf6e/

1. She enabled many to die in 'dignity', ie not on the streets, though it is arguable most of those who died were young ( tuberculosis victims) and could have been saved with proper medical care- on the other hand one could argue the Indian belief in castes and karma prevented any support for the 'untouchables'. Undoubtedly we can say, she relieved many lives of desperation,though she did nothing to solve the underlying cause- (who could?)

2. This question is a classic example of circular reasoning, the inference is that Mother Teresa has achieved a lot therefore cynics have no right to question her accomplishments- but the questioner disputes your premise- namely she achieved so much to warrant sainthood..

The motives of those who claim God has spoken to them may be multifarious, though personal aggrandizement and political legitimacy spring to mind.

To pick up the sick and dying and enable them to die with dignity whilst doing nothing to alleviate their basic conditions can lead to accusations of personal psychological motives ( look at me helping these suffering souls- how kind I am)) but the fact is those suffering appreciated her assistance, regardless of motives.

Apologies for continuing these theme but 2 different psychological perspectives came to mind, both understandable.

I remember reading about a Jewish woman in a concentration camp on a truck when a baby fell off the back due to the bumpy road. An SS officer picked the baby up by the legs and smashed its head against the side of the truck, killing it to the horror of all on board. The woman said her belief in any benevolent god died at that moment.The pain was so overwhelming, the despair of the situation of her Jewish race and family was so utterly hopeless, any faith in an omnipotent being was utter foolishness.

Another case, Mother Teresa, On 10 September 1946, Teresa experienced what she later described as "the call within the call" while travelling by train to the Loreto convent in Darjeeling from Calcutta for her annual retreat. "I was to leave the convent and help the poor while living among them. It was an order. To fail would have been to break the faith."-

to quote Wiki-

Mother Teresa, in her early years known as Agnes, was fascinated by stories of the lives of missionaries and their service in Bengal, and by age 12 had become convinced that she should commit herself to a religious life.- The inner certainty of the rightfulness of her path in life, the subconsciousness conviction, drove her forward, determined to achieve more in life, , as in the opposite way, and with just as much validity, the Jewish woman,by her own experience of utter brutality, despaired.

I met her many years ago, on a trip to Calcutta. I asked to see her, for spiritual guidance, and she took the time to see me. She gave me a very wise answer to my dilemma at that time. She exhibited nothing but humility, kindness and sincerity. Some say she was a grandstander. If that was what was required to promote her orphanage, and her organization, in order to attract donations, what the hell? Who cares? I considered her a great woman, and I think she is more worthy of sainthood than most of the others that were considered. She did a lot of great work. She did make a big difference. How many true saints are out there these days?

1. Who else can you name, that has made the kind of impact that this women made, on so many lives of desperation, in our lifetime?

2. What great acts have you devoted yourself to, that allows you to question the lifetime of achievement, of this great woman?

Well, in answer to #1; how about the makers of beer and viagara? For #2, I have been a good husband, father, and friend, but there are others who, not that, have done much more--start with the top philanthropists.

Apologies for continuing these theme but 2 different psychological perspectives came to mind, both understandable.

I remember reading about a Jewish woman in a concentration camp on a truck when a baby fell off the back due to the bumpy road. An SS officer picked the baby up by the legs and smashed its head against the side of the truck, killing it to the horror of all on board. The woman said her belief in any benevolent god died at that moment.The pain was so overwhelming, the despair of the situation of her Jewish race and family was so utterly hopeless, any faith in an omnipotent being was utter foolishness.

Another case, Mother Teresa, On 10 September 1946, Teresa experienced what she later described as "the call within the call" while travelling by train to the Loreto convent in Darjeeling from Calcutta for her annual retreat. "I was to leave the convent and help the poor while living among them. It was an order. To fail would have been to break the faith."-

to quote Wiki-

Mother Teresa, in her early years known as Agnes, was fascinated by stories of the lives of missionaries and their service in Bengal, and by age 12 had become convinced that she should commit herself to a religious life.- The inner certainty of the rightfulness of her path in life, the subconsciousness conviction, drove her forward, determined to achieve more in life, , as in the opposite way, and with just as much validity, the Jewish woman,by her own experience of utter brutality, despaired.

Well maybe if Mother Theresa would have seen someone smash the skull of a young baby on the side of a car she too would have seen that God is a heartless ba****d who really does not give a crap about humanity. The religious will justify the baby slaughter as 'God was taking it to a better place' - well God could have given the baby a heart attack then in that case if he was a loving God as we are told. I would say that when the SS Officer picked the baby up by the feet with the intent of harming it, a real and just God would have sent a hammer from heaven to crush the SS Officers head to ensure the as yet innocent baby was unharmed. Using the principle of Occam's Razor it is therefore simple - God does not exist, and whatever injustices occur in the world, the people that believe in an invisible friend will say 'it was Gods will', whatever the outcome. The baby dies a gruesome and sick death - God was taking it to a better place, The baby does not die - 'God saved the baby form Satans spawn what a miracle praise be to God'. You get the idea.

Whilst I commend your attempt to engage in intelligent discourse on this forum, I am afraid on a religious thread it is lost. There is absolutely nothing intelligent to discuss on any thread concerning all religions which are after all , make believe. In 2000 years from now humans can be forgiven for worshiping the one true Prophet JK Rowling (PBUH) for writing Gods true words about the son of God, Harry Potter and his main disciple Ron Weasley and the slut that washed his feet Hermione Granger. All of course fighting against the fallen angel, lucifer himself - Voldermort. Quiditch will be a holy game (as much as Football is today ((quite rightly)) - 'soccer' for the yanks'), and rather than Heaven or indeed Valhalla, the good will go to Hogwarts and only be permitted through the gates if they can satisfy the two headed demon Hagrid and Saint Dumbeldore of their purity. !!!

Does my story sound far fetched ? THATS HOW IT STARTS FOLKS ;) All I have to do now is add the requirement for multiple wives and the mandatory but secret sexual abuse of children and I could have a main stream religion on the go within a decade. In two thousand years I would be Anderman Al the sole messenger of the prophet!!

Forget God, forget BS Sainthood by a corrupt organization. If you have it in your heart to give your time and/or money DIRECTLY to the truly needy and truly lift them out of poverty and help them or provide a cure for them so that they can live a fulfilled life then you will create the Kingdom of Heaven within yourself, and all the preachers that need $50 to say a prayer for someone can go screw themselves.

Mother Theresa was given tens of millions. Where is it?? -The Vatican! - THAT is why she is being given a sainthood!

If my words are false, may the true God strike me down in my sleep and make me die or become a vegetable and unable to communicate in the morning!

See you at breakfast coffee guys ;)

I met her many years ago, on a trip to Calcutta. I asked to see her, for spiritual guidance, and she took the time to see me. She gave me a very wise answer to my dilemma at that time. She exhibited nothing but humility, kindness and sincerity. Some say she was a grandstander. If that was what was required to promote her orphanage, and her organization, in order to attract donations, what the hell? Who cares? I considered her a great woman, and I think she is more worthy of sainthood than most of the others that were considered. She did a lot of great work. She did make a big difference. How many true saints are out there these days?

Well, in answer to #1; how about the makers of beer and viagara? For #2, I have been a good husband, father, and friend, but there are others who, not that, have done much more--start with the top philanthropists.

It is unbelievable that people can compare raising children to helping thousands in a dire situation cope with the kind of hunger only the people on the streets of Calcutta will ever know. Have you ever experienced the real pain of hunger? What the hell is such a big deal about raising kids? Billions do it. Granted, I give parents credit for doing it right. But, in and of itself the act of being a parent is no big deal at all. Certainly it cannot be considered a great contribution to mankind, though many would like to consider it as such. Being a good spouse is much the same. And as far as friendship goes, it is a special relationship. But, again nowhere near the level of being comparable to devoting ones life to charity. Come on now. Lets get real please.

As to #1, well we will leave that one alone, as it appears to have been said entirely in jest.

to quote Wiki-

Well maybe if Mother Theresa would have seen someone smash the skull of a young baby on the side of a car she too would have seen that God is a heartless ba****d who really does not give a crap about humanity. The religious will justify the baby slaughter as 'God was taking it to a better place' - well God could have given the baby a heart attack then in that case if he was a loving God as we are told. I would say that when the SS Officer picked the baby up by the feet with the intent of harming it, a real and just God would have sent a hammer from heaven to crush the SS Officers head to ensure the as yet innocent baby was unharmed. Using the principle of Occam's Razor it is therefore simple - God does not exist, and whatever injustices occur in the world, the people that believe in an invisible friend will say 'it was Gods will', whatever the outcome. The baby dies a gruesome and sick death - God was taking it to a better place, The baby does not die - 'God saved the baby form Satans spawn what a miracle praise be to God'. You get the idea.

Whilst I commend your attempt to engage in intelligent discourse on this forum, I am afraid on a religious thread it is lost. There is absolutely nothing intelligent to discuss on any thread concerning all religions which are after all , make believe. In 2000 years from now humans can be forgiven for worshiping the one true Prophet JK Rowling (PBUH) for writing Gods true words about the son of God, Harry Potter and his main disciple Ron Weasley and the slut that washed his feet Hermione Granger. All of course fighting against the fallen angel, lucifer himself - Voldermort. Quiditch will be a holy game (as much as Football is today ((quite rightly)) - 'soccer' for the yanks'), and rather than Heaven or indeed Valhalla, the good will go to Hogwarts and only be permitted through the gates if they can satisfy the two headed demon Hagrid and Saint Dumbeldore of their purity. !!!

Does my story sound far fetched ? THATS HOW IT STARTS FOLKS wink.png All I have to do now is add the requirement for multiple wives and the mandatory but secret sexual abuse of children and I could have a main stream religion on the go within a decade. In two thousand years I would be Anderman Al the sole messenger of the prophet!!

Forget God, forget BS Sainthood by a corrupt organization. If you have it in your heart to give your time and/or money DIRECTLY to the truly needy and truly lift them out of poverty and help them or provide a cure for them so that they can live a fulfilled life then you will create the Kingdom of Heaven within yourself, and all the preachers that need $50 to say a prayer for someone can go screw themselves.

Mother Theresa was given tens of millions. Where is it?? -The Vatican! - THAT is why she is being given a sainthood!

If my words are false, may the true God strike me down in my sleep and make me die or become a vegetable and unable to communicate in the morning!

See you at breakfast coffee guys wink.png

Morning!! Still here, though the one true God - Wifey, nearly did slay me for going to bed late last night!

Christopher Hitchens in his book The Missionary Position, pointed out that the money donated to Mother Teresa could have been used to build a fully staffed hospital. Many of those who died in her hospices had treatable diseases.

Could have been used by whom?

As in the money could have been donated to others who might have made better use of it? I daresay many donations were made as a result of Mother Theresa's ongoing work and reputation. Far from certain that donations would have been made available for similar (if better executed) projects. As an aside, while there is a certain level of competition among organizations when it comes to potential funds, having a well-known personality acting as a donation magnet, may result in an overall increase of donations for all organizations acting within the same sphere.

Could Mother Theresa's organization have made potentially better use of funds donated? With the benefit of hindsight, probably yes. That said, I do not believe that there were massive amounts of money involved from the start, and by the time this changed, things were already set on course. The Situation is somewhat different nowadays, but during many of the years Mother Theresa worked in India, building a hospital, not to mention "fully staffing" it, were not the trivial propositions some imagine them to be. Again, one thing that could be chalked up on Mother Theresa's Good Deeds List, is creating greater awareness of conditions in India, and promoting greater global willingness help.

Christopher Hitchens in his book The Missionary Position, pointed out that the money donated to Mother Teresa could have been used to build a fully staffed hospital. Many of those who died in her hospices had treatable diseases.

As in the money could have been donated to others who might have made better use of it? I daresay many donations were made as a result of Mother Theresa's ongoing work and reputation. Far from certain that donations would have been made available for similar (if better executed) projects. As an aside, while there is a certain level of competition among organizations when it comes to potential funds, having a well-known personality acting as a donation magnet, may result in an overall increase of donations for all organizations acting within the same sphere.

Could Mother Theresa's organization have made potentially better use of funds donated? With the benefit of hindsight, probably yes. That said, I do not believe that there were massive amounts of money involved from the start, and by the time this changed, things were already set on course. The Situation is somewhat different nowadays, but during many of the years Mother Theresa worked in India, building a hospital, not to mention "fully staffing" it, were not the trivial propositions some imagine them to be. Again, one thing that could be chalked up on Mother Theresa's Good Deeds List, is creating greater awareness of conditions in India, and promoting greater global willingness help.

I dont understand the above reply

Others had build fully staffed hospitals in India at the time, Why Mother Theresa could not?

@Andaman Al

On a previous post you commented that:

She never lifted up anyone from the misery of extreme poverty! In fact before anyone could get a free bed or a cup of soup they had to renounce all worldly goods and take a vow of poverty. She never lifted anyone from poverty, she did just made them accept it.

She was a teacher for some 20 years, and her charity and affiliates run orphanages and schools. Some would say that counts as doing something to lift people from poverty.

As far as I'm aware, the Vow of Poverty requirement, refers to nuns (or other members), not patients and not even volunteers.

Others had build fully staffed hospitals in India at the time, Why Mother Theresa could not?

How many fully staffed hospitals were built in India, "at the time", solely funded by donations? How many of these hospitals were specifically aimed at aiding the poor or those suffering from diseases carrying social stigma?

It is unbelievable that people can compare raising children to helping thousands in a dire situation cope with the kind of hunger only the people on the streets of Calcutta will ever know. Have you ever experienced the real pain of hunger? What the hell is such a big deal about raising kids? Billions do it. Granted, I give parents credit for doing it right. But, in and of itself the act of being a parent is no big deal at all. Certainly it cannot be considered a great contribution to mankind, though many would like to consider it as such. Being a good spouse is much the same. And as far as friendship goes, it is a special relationship. But, again nowhere near the level of being comparable to devoting ones life to charity. Come on now. Lets get real please.

As to #1, well we will leave that one alone, as it appears to have been said entirely in jest.

Being a good husband, father, and friend says a lot more than raising children or having a special relationship--orphanages raise children, social clubs and all religions claim special relationships. I have helped under-privileged children since I was a teenager, still do. I have worked with Catholic Relief Services in Vietnam and local Catholic churches in the PI and in Florida--I saw no saints with any of them. However, as I said, there are others who do much more and claim no god to do it. So, you will just have to forgive me if I am not as much a fan of Mother Theresa as you.

As taxpayers we all subsidize religions either directly with cash or indirectly through the tax cuts that religious organizations get.

Yes I get wound up when I see my money wasted on religion.

Wouldn't it be more to the point to criticize one's home country political system, then?

So Kodak are responsible for her Fame? Amazing LOL

Still the Church needed a Celebrity for its marketing and MT was certainly a worthy choice, nevertheless she devoted her life to good, so still light years ahead of us in the do good arena

@Andaman Al

On a previous post you commented that:

She never lifted up anyone from the misery of extreme poverty! In fact before anyone could get a free bed or a cup of soup they had to renounce all worldly goods and take a vow of poverty. She never lifted anyone from poverty, she did just made them accept it.

She was a teacher for some 20 years, and her charity and affiliates run orphanages and schools. Some would say that counts as doing something to lift people from poverty.

As far as I'm aware, the Vow of Poverty requirement, refers to nuns (or other members), not patients and not even volunteers.

No. Those requiring the help of the charity had to convert to Catholicism and take a vow of poverty, renouncing all worldly goods. Nice eh !

How many fully staffed hospitals were built in India, "at the time", solely funded by donations? How many of these hospitals were specifically aimed at aiding the poor or those suffering from diseases carrying social stigma?

I don't profess to know much about India, and I am willing to learn,

But I am sure there were and are many fully stuffed Hospitals in India, how they got the funding to build them I dont know.

The fact that Theresa got her funding from donations should not preclude her from directing those funds toward treatment and recovery , rather than hospice Unless of course the funds were not adequate for treatment, or there were some other dynamics that I dont know of.

Perhaps someone who knows more about India and Theresa than me can explain.