Retirement visa extension combined income and bank deposit

I am 70 yers old and a german national living for about 35 years in Thailand, now married with my Thai wife for 22 years, with 2 teenaged kids

It is not clear to me ( and maybe other TV members)? how the immigration officers handle the issue with the bank-deposit ( 3 month prior the due extension of the retirement visa) and other proof of income.

I have already a retirement visa with a Non immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy in Munich Germany.

I had shown the 800 000 baht bank-deposit with all relevant papers and copy's.

Now try a different way as I am getting short a bit on the 800 000 baht in the bank.

Have obtained a letter, valid 6 months, from the German embassy in Bangkok showing my pension income, monthly deposited into my German bank account / proof bank account statement.

It is not the required 65 000 baht amount.

I had to proof that i get such an amount by showing the embassy a yearly statement from the pension office and the yearly increase of same.

Now , say I get 27 000 baht a month paid into my bank, I figured out that I have to show about 465 800 baht in my Thai bank account in March 2016, starting December 14 2015. ( depends on the exchange rate then).

When do I have to start the extension procedure of my yearly retirement visa?

Any help from the members please?!

Sorry is quite a long post !!

You do not provide the end of your current stay - that will determine when you have to make extension. You may have to have funds in account 3 months prior to that date to meet the difference between letter of income and the 800k yearly requirement - although the written rule does not mention 3 month rule being required when using combined method many/most seem to believe it should these days.

It needs to have been in account the 3 months when you make the extension of stay if it is required.

• Like 1

Whether or not the money needs to be in the bank for 3 months or not depends upon where you have to apply for it.

If they refused your extension based upon retirement you could apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. To apply for it only requires 400k baht to be in the bank or 2 months.

Your calculation is for the retirement extension (12 times monthly income + bank deposit >= 800k) and is correct.

As you wrote that you are getting short of 800k a bit then you should not have a problem with the combination method.

Retirement extension is easier with documents and normally issued at the spot (no under consideration period).

But as others wrote you could go the "married to Thai national" route.

Which is your office? (which region you live?).

You can apply for the extension a month before your current permission to stay (from the Non O) expires.

Sounds like your first extension after entry (?) in which case the money would only have to be in the account for two months.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

Your calculation is for the retirement extension (12 times monthly income + bank deposit >= 800k) and is correct.

As you wrote that you are getting short of 800k a bit then you should not have a problem with the combination method.

Retirement extension is easier with documents and normally issued at the spot (no under consideration period).

You can apply for the extension a month before your current permission to stay (from the Non O) expires.

Sounds like your first extension after entry (?) in which case the money would only have to be in the account for two months.

I live in the north of Thailand in the Chiang Rai Area.

Mae Sai is my immigration office.

Thanks or the info.

OK, one month before my Non O expires ( issued in Germany in 2014) expires 14 March 2016) I shall contact the Immigration office again.

My 90 days report is due again on Febr. 2016, very close to the Non O visa expiration.

I guess I can again get a one year extension and pay some money and for the Re- Entry permit.\

I can obtain a letter from my Thai bank that I have 500.000 baht in the account for 3 months about 3 days before applying

You do not provide the end of your current stay - that will determine when you have to make extension. You may have to have funds in account 3 months prior to that date to meet the difference between letter of income and the 800k yearly requirement - although the written rule does not mention 3 month rule being required when using combined method many/most seem to believe it should these days.

It needs to have been in account the 3 months when you make the extension of stay if it is required.

3 month rule applies?

Cannot find anywhere a rule for the combination of income - proof in that case

Letter from embassy is valid 6 months

I must have letter from Bank about my deposit 3 months before applying?

Bit confusing, must happen to other TV members as well.

I live in the north of Thailand in the Chiang Rai Area.

Mae Sai is my immigration office.

Thanks or the info.

OK, one month before my Non O expires ( issued in Germany in 2014) expires 14 March 2016) I shall contact the Immigration office again.

My 90 days report is due again on Febr. 2016, very close to the Non O visa expiration.

I guess I can again get a one year extension and pay some money and for the Re- Entry permit.\

I can obtain a letter from my Thai bank that I have 500.000 baht in the account for 3 months about 3 days before applying

I think you have a non-oa visa not a standard non-o.visa. A OA visa allows multiple one year entries a non-o only allows 90 day entries.

It seems your visa has already expired if it was issued in 2014 and it is your last one year entry that is ending in March,

3 month rule applies?

Cannot find anywhere a rule for the combination of income - proof in that case

True, its not in the written rules.

But as reported some immigration offices now simply require it.

Arbitrary, but what can you do?

I must have letter from Bank about my deposit 3 months before applying?

Bank letter just confirms account details and balance on the day it is written.

Best to get is as short as possible before applying at the immigration.

The proof of 2 or 3 month rule is done by showing the bank book.

The balance on the account can vary over time (living account), just never be below the required amount (not a single day, not a single Baht).

I think you have a non-oa visa not a standard non-o.visa. A OA visa allows multiple one year entries a non-o only allows 90 day entries.

It seems your visa has already expired if it was issued in 2014 and it is your last one year entry that is ending in March,

Sounds very much like.

And "visa expires" is just the normal confusion of words.

The "ADMITTED UNTIL" stamp in passport seems to show dd March 2016?

Visa expires on the "ENTER BEFORE" date on the visa sticker.

Some date past in this year?

I also mixed up something:

you can apply for extension anytime you want and have the financials ready.

So you can well do it at the 90 day report date in February.

Just try it and you will learn whether they insist on two or three months seasoning.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Great help here,

I have a visa sticker in my passport from the Thai embassy in Germany, a Non immigrant category O multible entry.

After arrival at the airport Suvarnabhumi in Bangkok i got a stamp on the 15 dec 2014, permitted to stay until 14 March 2015, after 3 months in Thailand I went to the immigration office in Mae Sai and got again a proper Retirement visa,

application of stay is permitted up to 14 March 2016, I shall contact the immigration office when my 90 day report is due in February 2016 to clearify the money situation, combination of income and bank-deposit for 2 or 3 months..

I did that before, but last year I went back to Germany before my last visa expired and had to start all over again.

I still had a re-entry visa and wanted to extend it before leaving but it was denied

You cannot get a visa inside of the country. Obviously what you got at Mae Sai was a year-long extension of stay for the purpose of retirement. Since this will be your second extension, your money will have to be in the bank three months before you apply for another year-long extension of stay. Be sure that it is or your extension will be denied. As posters have pointed out, if you are really short of funds, you could do the extension based on marriage. Good luck.

• Like 1

You seem to have had a one year multi entry non immigrant O visa allowing 90 day stays - but rather than exit/return for a new stay you went to immigration in March this year and extended your first entry for one year on basis of retirement and are due to extend again on or before 14 March 2016.

• Like 1

The fog is lifting biggrin.png

So you don't have a Non O-A but already have a one year extension (not "new visa") and now you simply have to apply for another extension of stay before March 14, 2016.

So forget about going anytime to apply but the usual rule applies: one month before expiry you can apply.

14 March -> you could apply for extension on Mon, 15 February as the earliest date.

When exactly is the 90 day report due?

Maybe you could do it all in one visit.

(90 day report, extension, re-entry permit)

From what I understood:

you have one bank account in your name (since longer?) which has just fallen below 800k?

In this case the seasoning rule (if any) would be fulfilled and no reason to worry anyway!

Edited by KhunBENQ

Watch it on the three-month requirement for your bank deposit. There are too many incidences of immigration requiring that the money be in the bank for three months even when you are using a combination of pension income and money in the bank. If memory serves me correctly, a poster using the combined pension and bank deposit method was recently denied his extension of stay because his money had been in the bank for less than three months. Why take a chance and risk being denied your extension of stay? Ignore posters who tell you that your money doesn't need to have been in the bank for three months. That's technically but not practically true.

@kraxlhuber

the combination method pension plus bank deposit requires the additional letter from the german embassy in bkk, hence

it appears easier to apply for 1 year exention of stay based on marriage.

i can advance advice to you in german if u wish as im a native.

wbr

roobaa1

• Like 1

So. I've read of companies guaranteeing retirement visas for people with no income or capital

And also met guys living on basic US /UK state pensions on retirement visas again how does that work?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

So. I've read of companies guaranteeing retirement visas for people with no income or capital

And also met guys living on basic US /UK state pensions on retirement visas again how does that work?

Involvement with these companies results in at least deception which in turn may involve fraud and criminality.

Best avoided.

@kraxlhuber

the combination method pension plus bank deposit requires the additional letter from the german embassy in bkk, hence

it appears easier to apply for 1 year exention of stay based on marriage.

i can advance advice to you in german if u wish as im a native.

wbr

roobaa1

Which he already has.

Have obtained a letter, valid 6 months, from the German embassy in Bangkok showing my pension income, monthly deposited into my German bank account / proof bank account statement.

So again how do guys living on basic us pensions get retirement visas? And I've defo met some.

Perhaps they are meeting the 65k baht income requirement or are using the combination of what they get and money in the bank totaling 800k baht.

So again how do guys living on basic us pensions get retirement visas? And I've defo met some.

Perhaps they are meeting the 65k baht income requirement or are using the combination of what they get and money in the bank totaling 800k baht.
Sorry for my ignorance, but combination? how does that work?

thanks people are really helpful on this thread

So. Am i reading that right 800, 000 baht ie about 20,000 sterling in a Thai bank account for 3 months will get you a retirement visa?

So. Am i reading that right 800, 000 baht ie about 20,000 sterling in a Thai bank account for 3 months will get you a retirement visa?

Yes if you are at least 50 years of age.

And its an "extension"/"permission to stay" based on retirement for one year.

After having the stamp you can use the money, just make sure the account is filled up again in time for next application.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Yes if you are at least 50 years of age.

And its an "extension"/"permission to stay" based on retirement for one year.

After having the stamp you can use the money, just make sure the account is filled up again in time for next application.

So again just so i'm reading it right to get the initial stamp the cash has to be the Thai bank account For 3 months and then. You will be allowed a one year retirement visa. after the initial stamp the Cash has to be in the account for For3 months b4 the renewal date. Ie The rest of the time Its available to use if needed. There's no need to report/check in with anyone between the 12 months ? Rather than reply a quick 'like ' will work if I've got it right cheers again folks

Edited by rijit
  • Like 1

No you do not have it right - the requirement is 2 months for first retirement extension of stay (to allow setting up bank account and making the application on the 90 days that a non immigrant O visa allows in Thailand.

You must always report address if your remain in Thailand more than 90 days using a TM.47 form to immigration - and do so every time you stay 90 days or more. First extension of stay is start of the 90 day clock - or any return from overseas trip on a re-entry permit thereafter.

You are not reading it "right"

1. To begin with you need a single entry non immigrant "O" visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand.(or by way of "conversion" from a TV or visa exempt entry)
  2. During the last 30 days of the 90 day stay the visa will provide you apply for an "Extension of Stay based on retirement (It is NOT a visa)
  3. During the life of the extension every 90 days a report is made to immigration
  4. If travel outside Thailand is undertaken a re-entry permit must be obtained to keep the extension alive.
  • Like 1