Constitution Drafting Commission insists new charter will have no more than 200 articles

rooster59

Constitution Drafting Commission insists new charter will have no more than 200 articles

BANGKOK, 19 December 2015 (NNT) - The Constitution Drafting Commission has insisted that there will be fewer articles in the new charter than in the draft which was previously voted down.

Second Vice Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Commission Apichart Sukhagganond said that the new draft charter is positively going to be ready within January.

Mr. Apichart said that, at present, there are about 250 articles in the draft charter but the CDC is going to remove some in order to leave no more than 200 articles when the drafting is completed.

He assured that the new draft will include all suggestions from the National Council for Peace and Order and other related agencies as well as members of the public.

< He expects the public referendum on the new draft charter will take place around July of 2016 while expressing his hope that the people will understand the new charter and come out to vote at the referendum.

? Meanwhile, member of the National Reform Steering Assembly Kamnoon Sidhisamarn added that the next 18 months will be a crucial period for the transition of Thailand as it will be the time when the national reform review by the NRSA will take place before all details are handed over to the cabinet to implement.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-12-20 footer_n.gif

Trying to micro-manage a constitution, for 70 million people is doomed to failure, and further coups.

I'm no constitutional scholar, but it would seem to me that a broad and basic set of laws, that are the backbone of what a country is all about, constitutes an, ummm, errr, constitution.

Once again, I have no idea, but it would appear that most constitutions they have are a few thousand pages long and open to every sort of interpretation under the sun = coup after coup after coup.

I don't understand...........

Edited by jaywalker

Trying to micro-manage a constitution, for 70 million people is doomed to failure, and further coups.

I'm no constitutional scholar, but it would seem to me that a broad and basic set of laws, that are the backbone of what a country is all about, constitutes an, ummm, errr, constitution.

Once again, I have no idea, but it would appear that most constitutions they have are a few thousand pages long and open to every sort of interpretation under the sun = coup after coup after coup.

Well, even the Indian Constitution, which is the longest one in the world, has only 395 articles and has been amended just over 100 times.

The American Constitution, which is the worlds shortest one, has only seven articles and has been amended 28 times.

America is considered to have the oldest written constitution but only if one refines the criteria of "written constitution" and excludes Switzerland wink.png

In very simple terms, a constitution is just fundamental principles on how a state should governed, a set of basic rules on the rights and duties of the government, institutions and the people.

Everything else are laws who can change or be added at any time by any government.

Edited by JoeLing

Whilst I can not see much change in the 25 sections of Chapter 1 and Chapter 2,
Chapter 3 could be reduced to 2 articles
- "Do as you're told"
- "Don't ask questions"
the rest is of no use or interest.

3 Chapters, 27 Articles - Thailand would have the world's shortest constitution.

new charter will have no more than 200 articles

Seriously, who cares?

A turd is a turd, no matter how many articles it has. After all, the junta needs only one article, Article 44... OK, Article 112 is helpful, too...

As for indications that the turd will smell as bad or worse than the last,

He assured that the new draft will include all suggestions from the National Council for Peace and Order

done deal... coffee1.gif

America is considered to have the oldest written constitution but only if one refines the criteria of "written constitution" and excludes Switzerland wink.png

The US Constitution is printed on just 6 pages with the 5th page being the letter of transmittal. The 6th page contains the first ten amendments also known as "The Bill of Rights" (rights of the people).

No federal, state or local entity can pass any law that runs contrary to that constitution. It has stood for so long because it is simple, gets right to the point, gives most rights to the people, and is very hard to amend.

This is the opposite of what Thailand is trying to do. They are trying to control people and take away rights with a very detailed and lengthy document.

Cheers.

The US Constitution is printed on just 6 pages with the 5th page being the letter of transmittal. The 6th page contains the first ten amendments also known as "The Bill of Rights" (rights of the people).

No federal, state or local entity can pass any law that runs contrary to that constitution. It has stood for so long because it is simple, gets right to the point, gives most rights to the people, and is very hard to amend.

This is the opposite of what Thailand is trying to do. They are trying to control people and take away rights with a very detailed and lengthy document.

Cheers.

If Americans had a specific "Bill of Rights" (rights of the people)

where is "The Bill of Duties" (duties of the people)?

Or are American citizens duty, like in many other "democracies", just to pay Taxes?

I learned, in a real democracy, there is no right without duty. wink.png

Well, even the Indian Constitution, which is the longest one in the world, has only 395 articles and has been amended just over 100 times.

The American Constitution, which is the worlds shortest one, has only seven articles and has been amended 28 times.

In very simple terms, a constitution is just fundamental principles on how a state should governed, a set of basic rules on the rights and duties of the government, institutions and the people.

Everything else are laws who can change or be added at any time by any government.

Point being, they have a mechanism to allow them to be changed. Thai constitution can apparently only be changed by coup.

As a Brit, constitution, what?

We've got one, its not written down, everything's going along just fine, if there's a problem, we'll look into it, but we're several hundred years in and we've yet to find anything that can't be sorted over a few glasses of whisky and a game of chequers.

Edited by naboo

Whats not to understand you answered your own question in the paragraph above. Making a silk purse out of a sows ear is a hard project.