Thailand vs Panama

RichardThailand

Given the choice of having to learn Thai or Spanish I know which I would choose: Spanish without a doubt.

Spanish is much easier to learn (similar alphabet and quite similar pronunciation to other European languages, including English) and of much more use (the official language of 21 countries), whereas Thai is only useful in Thailand. Personally I also think that Thai can be quite unpleasant on the ear.

I started learning Spanish in the USA 7th grade (age 13) and started to learn Thai written and spoken 10+ years before I moved here full time. Portuguese I started to learn in Orlando as I thought I might get a job in the tourist industry. Oh well.

As to Thai maybe being unpleasant to the ear, depending upon who is speaking it, so can be English.

Edited by JLCrab

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I speak both Spanish and Thai. I could live in Panama without ever speaking English and can live (and mostly do) live in Thailand without ever speaking English. I like speaking Thai -- I don't like speaking Spanish. Don't cry for me Argentina or Panama.

I find Spanish to be infinitely more poetic, fluid, gorgeous and sexy to listen to, and easier to speak and to understand. I also find most people in Latin America to be linguistically inclined, in that they have the ability to figure out what you are trying to say, if you do not speak perfectly. Absolutely the opposite in Thailand. The Thais do not have an ear for language, one iota.

On the contrary, the Thais have an acute ear for language, use the wrong tone and they're laughing because the meaning has altered fundamentally. They're just not familiar with non- native speakers speaking Thai so mispronunciations throw them.But they soon adapt when a foreigner in their circle speaks Thai with an accent, before long they're working out what he is trying to say.

Thai is wonderfully poetic in the right hands- read the poet Sunthon Pu, melody and meaning with alliteration and rhythm flowing seamlessly.

Want I meant is that most Thais are not linguistic. Of course they understand their own language and their own people speaking it. But few have the ability to understand thai that is not spoken well. Few can extrapolate meaning from a poorly spoken question or sentence. Not so in Latin America. I have traveled all over that region and can be understood everywhere with imperfect Spanish. Most will go out of their way to try to figure out what I am saying. That is not part of the Thai mentality on any level.

I speak both Spanish and Thai. I could live in Panama without ever speaking English and can live (and mostly do) live in Thailand without ever speaking English. I like speaking Thai -- I don't like speaking Spanish. Don't cry for me Argentina or Panama.

I find Spanish to be infinitely more poetic, fluid, gorgeous and sexy to listen to, and easier to speak and to understand. I also find most people in Latin America to be linguistically inclined, in that they have the ability to figure out what you are trying to say, if you do not speak perfectly. Absolutely the opposite in Thailand. The Thais do not have an ear for language, one iota.

On the contrary, the Thais have an acute ear for language, use the wrong tone and they're laughing because the meaning has altered fundamentally. They're just not familiar with non- native speakers speaking Thai so mispronunciations throw them.But they soon adapt when a foreigner in their circle speaks Thai with an accent, before long they're working out what he is trying to say.

Thai is wonderfully poetic in the right hands- read the poet Sunthon Pu, melody and meaning with alliteration and rhythm flowing seamlessly.

Want I meant is that most Thais are not linguistic. Of course they understand their own language and their own people speaking it. But few have the ability to understand thai that is not spoken well. Few can extrapolate meaning from a poorly spoken question or sentence. Not so in Latin America. I have traveled all over that region and can be understood everywhere with imperfect Spanish. Most will go out of their way to try to figure out what I am saying. That is not part of the Thai mentality on any level.

I don't think may posters here have much of an idea of linguistics. It is said in earlier posts the Thai people have no ear for languages. This is totally incorrect. The fact is many speak a local dialect a district dialect and central Thai and in addition speak English. I have met a Thai that speaks perfect English, French, Italian, German and Dutch. (A guide working at Greenleaf GH Khao Yai ) . The problem is they have too good an ear and as Thai is tonal and most European languages are not tonal we speak garbage when attempting Thai. In European languages the intonation is not really so important generally, so if your accent is off it doesn't really change the meaning. I speak Thai as well as I can - which is not great but improving. I find the Thai people very helpful and understanding of my linguistic blundering as a rule. In fact the short time I spent in Panama I was more frustrated by the lack of Spanish than my poor Thai in Thailand. Strangely I discovered that Japanese is quite widely spoken in Panama - (at least in the tourist centre) much to the delight of my Japanese friend who was traveling with me. Seems Japanese fishing fleets have been calling there for years.

I agree. The Thais are simply unable to figure out what you mean when you make some mistakes.

helf.png

Edited by mesquite

I actually admire the Thais and how they cope with foreign languages. It seems that every foreigner who comes to Thailand expects the Thais to understand their language, whether it's French, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Russian...whatever. And the many different variations of English, from the Brits to Americans, Aussies, Scots, to all the other non-Native English speakers trying to speak English. I wouldn't have the patience. And the Thais do appreciate foreigners making the effort to speak Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

Ever thought of Nicaragua ? Proof of $800/month coming in. Very low cost of living. Little crime (cops after graduation are sent back to where they grew up.) Easy to get citizenship.

I came here for a second time. This time to check out for possible retirement. no thanks. (I wouldn't consider CM cheap) Back to Mexico for me. Don't believe what you read about the violence there. Less violent than Good ole U.S. of A

Jingthing wrote:

Granada Nicaragua definitely looks like a great place for a vacation but some research indicated that it doesn't have quite enough for me to really be happy living there. Many would be though.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/nicaragua/granada-and-the-masaya-region/granada

that clinched it. stopped looking, booked the ticket. what better recommendation could a country get than the Jingthing doesnt want to be there

That's funny. A few years ago I was really close to an exploratory trip to Granada. Found the flights. Was booking a guesthouse. Emailed the guesthouse and the owner of the guesthouse actually wrote back: WHY ARE YOU COMING HERE? That made me think. What a nosy arsed guesthouse owner! Didn't go.

We spent about a week in and around Granada. Not for us. Very dangerous to walk around at night. And forget straying too far from the "tourist" area. We rented a room in a very cool "mansion". Run by a retired American, who had a gun on him for protection. Kept 3-4 pitbulls in his yard also. Crazy, crazy stories from him. Donkey carts still roam the streets, so poo is everywhere. Food shopping is abysmal. Transport is dodgy. Spanish is an absolute must.

Great fun with a group of friends for 3-4 days, but after that, time to go.