British woman falls off moving tuk tuk in Kamala, dies after late night in Patong

rooster59

The driver is hardly going to say I was speeding and rushing for my next job now is he, so it doesn't matter what he has to say he is directly connected to the incident and will say anything to try and pass blame to the passengers which is exactly what he has done

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

Can not be. Farang are always right and smart, Thai are stupid and idiots.

Agree with the last bit of your post but still think in this case it was booze that was to blame. I could be wrong.

RIP to the poor women, it sounds like a bad way to go, hopefully the alcohol helped ease the trauma.

I do believe that both parties need to share the blame here, unless it can be proven to be a murder, and we do need the surviving Brits version, and I can't help but wonder why that isn't included, As I doubt it would change much between the event and waking up today ( and no... I don't believe I'm being insensitive saying this...,the sooner after an incident the better as their is less time for the imagination to change things)

But ultimately..... The driver has a duty of care to his passengers, and should be monitoring their action, whilst in his care. To have "fallen out" of the tuk tuk, she must have been moving around, and the driver should have known this ( shifting weight in a very light vehicle and RV mirrors) and should then have modified his driving, even to the extent of stopping and asking them to sit down.

We all know that common sense drains out as alcohol drains in, so the couple in the back were least equipped to make sensible decisions... That's why they hired a sober driver ( assumedly sober)

Problem with proper taxis is the tuk tuk mafia, which was supposed to be going thru government mediated changes, following the fracas earlier in the year, when yuk yuk drivers blockaded patong.... They won't allow proper taxis into their area

But.... A very simple gate arrangement could easily be installed on every tuk tuk to prevent this sort of thing happening... But it would mean that the driver would have to get out of his vehicle to let the passengers out, so that may be asking to much

I also wonder were in rawai something similar to Bangladesh road may be found.... Beer and ping pong balls are always entertaining.

( yer... That bit was insensitive)

Hopefully someone will attach an update with the surviving Brits version of what happened, as simple saying that they argued over which tuk tuck to grab, in itself, means nothing at all, and could be construed as being misleading..... One could simple have had no cushioned seats, verse cushioned seats... Etc

Both parties are not to blame.

Phuket Authorities have failed everyone by not installing a proper and safe taxi meter service.

These modified vans/pickups are not up to any safety standard and its a disgrace they are still in action in 2015.

They have a duty to keep their guests safe period..

You just introduced a third party into the whole duty of care issue

Party A/ the victim must be seen to act reasonably... Being pissed and perhaps cavorting about in the back of a Tuk tuk is not acting reasonable

Party B/ the driver has a clear duty of care to his clients, and may have only breached this by not stopping the vehicle and accosting the drunken duo in the back

Party C/ the authorities do indeed have a duty of care to implement safe standards.

But... Duty of care laws also factor in common law and practices, and as the use of tuk tuks, though perhaps outdated, is still common throughout Asia and India , and not illegal, they then fall into the greyness of commonality.

Laying more precise "blame" will have to wait until we hear the tail from the actual witness in the rear of the tuk tuk, verses the driver and his wife, who most probably were unaware of the incident until it was done and dusted

post-249978-0-60061800-1450685935_thumb.

RIP to the Brit lady and sincere condolences to her family and friends only good thing regarding her death was that she died in hospital and not in a road accident so will not go against the Thai road deaths, and I suppose we will have to wait and see what her partner says once he sobers up and gets over the shock of his partners death. Looks like a tragic accident and a bit of over indulgence with the booze

Not one person explored the idea that her husband, also being pissed and perhaps ticked off concerning his wife, "helped" her off the Tuk Tuk when it went into the curve. Nice way to rid himself of a possible nagging wife. All it would take was a little push. The article did say they were arguing prior to taking the Tuk Tuk.

Now now, keep that imagination in check!

Doesn't take much of an imagination, does it. Now...how many of the members here would have jumped on this scenario. An Englishman, who was intoxicated fell to his death out of a Tuk Tuk. He was with his Thai girlfriend at the time. How many here would immediately blame the Thai lady for pushing him to his death? Hmmmm?

Killing one's spouse is still one of the most frequent crimes committed. One does not have to think "O.J. Simpson" to understand that scenario.

A driver, specially of a paid transportation, is also responsible for his passengers or their safety. If they were to drunk to join a (safe) taxi ride, me must have refused to take them.

But unfortunately this is western logic and also law in some countries and therefor doesn't apply here.

Time to upadate to cars with seat belts.

These so called tuk tuks lost their charm a decade ago.

No it isn't. I am tired of losing something just because some yahoo f-it up..they're fun and it gives a sense of uniqueness to Thailand.

You losing something?

I'm not talking about the 3 wheeled variety.

Sometimes it's not about us living here. Think of the tourist not being safe ridden around in a death trap without seatbelts or a door.

Nothing unique about a Daihatsu hijet converted into a taxi.

You can lay blame on the victim if that makes you feel better.

No it isn't. I am tired of losing something just because some yahoo f-it up..they're fun and it gives a sense of uniqueness to Thailand.

You losing something?

Sometimes it's not about us living here. Think of the tourist not being safe ridden around in a death trap without seatbelts or a door.

"Sometimes it's not about us living here."

Exactly, and the tourists love the Phuket tuktuks.

The first two posts immediately jump on the tuk tuk driver. How about this? The woman was drunk out of her mind, did something stupid and FELL OUT of the tuk tuk. You notice the tuk tuk driver didn't so a runner, but stuck around till the cops got there. Not the actions of a guilty man.

OK I realise that there could be some jumping to false conclusions and the very nice Tuk Tuk driver negotiated the bend in a sensible manner HOWEVER

how many tourists have been killed THIS week.

Come to Thailand and have a lovely time BUT Phuket, Samui and the South should be no go areas. OH and Chang Mai

Font colour edited. L.K.

You losing something?

They leave their brains back at home if thats the case.

I cringe when i see a family wedged into the back of these things.

OK I realise that there could be some jumping to false conclusions and the very nice Tuk Tuk driver negotiated the bend in a sensible manner HOWEVER

Come to Thailand and have a lovely time BUT Phuket, Samui and the South should be no go areas. OH and Chang Mai

Glad to see you consider Phuket safe.

You forgot Pattaya.

Hardly a model for safety.

If the only person with her in the back was the husband, I'd be looking at him very closely.

Two drunk people, an argument starts…I saw you look at that thai tart Hugh, confess... you really wanted to screw her….bla bla boa….

But this being thailand it could only be an accident.

'the incident was an accident' ... priceless piece of wording.

'according to the tuk tuk driver, blah blah blah ...' meaning : 'the dead woman is totally responsible'. And the reason why the tuk-tuk driver can only be right is because only he can bear witness. Sickening piece of Phuketness.

Ahhhh yes, velly clever. Don't run away and everyone will think you are completely innocent!

These tuk-tuks in Phuket are enclosed and never have standing passengers do they? Unlike the little things in Bangkok or the songtaews of Pattaya.

the tuk tuk's are dangerous so no question there, they likely take drunk people home all the time, this was not a journey from a pub to a hotel around the corner, it was out on a main road connecting two different resort areas of Phuket, I would blame the driver of the tuk tuk as he was likely driving too fast and had little regard for the safety of his drunk passengers, round a bend at speed hit a bump passenger loses grip on handrail and out she goes - no helmet head hits the curb or post and dead

These drivers should be well experienced driving drunk people home that is what they are there for, the couple are on holiday doing the right thing and getting someone else to drive them home, should they have been drunk ? well yes up to them they are on holiday, should the tuk tuk drive have been more careful and perhaps driving slower instead of racing for his next job ? well I say yes

Another pointless avoidable death of the roads of Phuket

RIP

As you were obviously there and know exactly what happened I am sure that you have gone to the police and cleared things up. If you weren't there at all then all you are offering is your opinion. The biggest problem with this website is people offering opinion as fact.

the tuk tuk's are dangerous so no question there, they likely take drunk people home all the time, this was not a journey from a pub to a hotel around the corner, it was out on a main road connecting two different resort areas of Phuket, I would blame the driver of the tuk tuk as he was likely driving too fast and had little regard for the safety of his drunk passengers, round a bend at speed hit a bump passenger loses grip on handrail and out she goes - no helmet head hits the curb or post and dead

These drivers should be well experienced driving drunk people home that is what they are there for, the couple are on holiday doing the right thing and getting someone else to drive them home, should they have been drunk ? well yes up to them they are on holiday, should the tuk tuk drive have been more careful and perhaps driving slower instead of racing for his next job ? well I say yes

RIP

I have a different scenario. Pissed out of her brain, she climbs out of the back of the moving tuk tuk to have her face in the air, having a good old yahoo, but loses grip and falls off.

It's what I do all the time on songtheaws ( minus the yahooing ), but I'm not pissed when I do it and don't lose my grip.

The truth may be different from both our scenarios, but it's too early to be blaming the driver without the facts.

You losing something?

"and the tourists love the Phuket tuktuks" - really? So why are the majority of tourists to Phuket now in coach buses? biggrin.png

Edited by NamKangMan

RIP

As you were obviously there and know exactly what happened I am sure that you have gone to the police and cleared things up. If you weren't there at all then all you are offering is your opinion. The biggest problem with this website is people offering opinion as fact.

"The biggest problem with this website is people offering opinion as fact." - sadly, the biggest problem with this website is it has to keep reporting road fatalities on Phuket, almost on a daily basis.

And that is a 'fact."