How Agoda can offer a room for less then have price then paying at counter reception?

Sandman77

Areived 3 day ago in pattaya in a hotel

First with last 13 year I stay here the hotel stuff of reception told me a price for walk in pay at counter of 1500 baht

Then I talk with tourist behind me got informed must book at Agoda.com

I take my ipad Out payed in us Dollar

Coz American Company

And payed only 800 baht a Night charged by Visa !

For my understanding agoda charge a 10 Procent fee of each booking so who is the winner in this system I not realy understand it

Also reception later recomend me must book online cheaper can it realy happen that in total the for more money from Agoda in mass booking that everybody would pay at counter

Some nice side information

On hotel website before high season and also now a price of 590 Bhat was showing

I called hotel 2 weeks before and make a tel confirmation for longtime stay for 500 baht yes sir 500 baht was Aswer on phone

But after I areived the price was triple

The broke there promises give me before on phone, it's normal that price go up in high season but that's very tricky cheating before high season the old agly room with laud noisy aircon was cheaper then superior room all rooms casts same reception stuff real unfriendly want book massage you must pay at counter first cAnot pay woman directly is this a case for the Thailand tourist authority? Did ever someone contact them in similar cases and got any help?

Or is it loose of time or is it just tit?

You might have not spoken with the manager there. Maybe somebody made you an offer that wasn't authorized to do so? Verbal confirmations do tend to lead to complications. That's why I at least get things in writing via email.

As for why Agoda or other sites charge less money, it's worth reading this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/872705-agoda-and-bookingcom/

booking site " buy " in bulk , or tell the Hotel owners to quote them in bulk , then they spend $$$$ trying to sell the Hotels rooms ,

The Desk clerk may not have the power to match the price ,

If the Hotel could always sell all its rooms by itself it would not need Agoda etc ,

I am not sure whether I got the message from the OP.

But one point has been described in other posts:

sites like Agoda will pressure hotels to not offer cheaper prices at the desk than they have on their site.

Hotels getting caught will be thrown out.

So guess why some real popular places are not available through Agoda or the like.

booking site " buy " in bulk , or tell the Hotel owners to quote them in bulk , then they spend $$$$ trying to sell the Hotels rooms ,

If the Hotel could always sell all its rooms by itself it would not need Agoda etc ,

They don't buy in bulk; they don't buy the hotel rooms at all. Package tour companies do work in this way but the likes of Agoda, Booking.com etc. do not.

They purely act as a sales agent for a commission.

Large hotels rarely match the price on Agoda as the staff don't have authority. Small places will often discount as they can save on commission.

having worked for agoda,( way back when it was planet holiday and run in Phuket) accor and hotel travel .com i can tell you

they do NOT BUY ROOMS

for 15-18% of which they also pay out to affiliates 5-15% of their commissions

Edited by phuketrichard

I've been using "Booking.com" more than Agoda lately, though they are apparently under the same ownership. I went to Pattaya over the last weekend and I didn't feel like trudging around central Pattaya looking for a room. Booking.com does not add a service charge and frequently do not require pre-pay. They allow you to search a fairly narrow area, in my case, Central Pattaya and I easily found what turned out to be a very decent room for close to what I normally pay as a walk-in at less busy times of year.

having worked for agoda,( way back when it was planet holiday and run in Phuket) accor and hotel travel .com i can tell you

they do NOT BUY ROOMS

for 15-18% of which they also pay out to affiliates 5-15% of their commissions

ok then they get blocks of rooms at special prices....

I've been using "Booking.com" more than Agoda lately, though they are apparently under the same ownership. I went to Pattaya over the last weekend and I didn't feel like trudging around central Pattaya looking for a room. Booking.com does not add a service charge and frequently do not require pre-pay. They allow you to search a fairly narrow area, in my case, Central Pattaya and I easily found what turned out to be a very decent room for close to what I normally pay as a walk-in at less busy times of year.

both owned by Priceline;

booking.com Includes the charges up front in the price u see

agoda u need click thru to get the final price ( i hate that, as at first they appear cheaper)

I do prefer booking as for many u pay when you arrive in local currency and can easily cancel, usually 3 days in advance of ur stay for no charge

Quite often even a Hotels own web site will offer cheaper prices than walk-in. If you walk in then you need a room hence supply and demand. Happened to me a few years ago when trying to book a room at Hard Rock Pattaya for a friend, the receptionist told me to go to the online bookings for the hotel and I got quite a reduction.

There are 3 main types of rates that most hotels use:

1. Published rate, also know as Walk in rates. These are the full rates of the room, without discounts, that are usually given to walk-in customers. Hotel staff are usually told to stick to this rate whenever they have walk in customers, as Hotels do not want to empower their front office staff to negotiate rates with customers in order to minimise fraud.

2. Online Travel Agent rates (OTA rates). These rates are lower than the Published rates and are the rates that are given to all Online Travel Agents (OTAs) like Agoda, Booking.com, Expedia, etc. These are also commissionable rates, which means that the OTAs earn a commission on every bookings generated. In all OTA contracts, there is a clause which insists on having rate parity with all other OTAs, including the Hotel booking engine on its website. It therefore means that the rates should be the same on OTAs and the Hotel has to all OTAs that it is working with the same rate. Each OTA however have their own "tricks" to give lower rates by doing Private Sale to its members, membership points, among others.

3. Travel Agents rates, also know as wholesale rates. These are rates are usually cheaper than the above two types, and are rates that are usually packaged with flights, tours, etc and are rates that you will receive when you book through a travel agent (not an online travel site). The travel agent will however mark up the rates with their commission and sell this to its customer (mainly in the form of package trips). This type of rate is however a dying breed, as the role of travel agents have been largely reduced and taken over by OTAs. Most people nowadays tend to book their own flights and hotels online, rather than going through a local travel agents.

In summary, by booking online through an OTA, you will most likely get the best deal for a hotel. I also recommend to book using an OTA app on your phone or tablet, as these are where OTAs do their Private Sale to bypass the Rate Parity clauses. You may also try to contact the hotel's reservation in advance and request for the rates. If they are clever, they may give you a better rate that what you will find online.

They don't buy in bulk; they don't buy the hotel rooms at all. Package tour companies do work in this way but the likes of Agoda, Booking.com etc. do not.

I stayed at a couple different hotels on Lower Sukhumvit for extended stay.

They had entire floors which would only be given to agoda type customers. Those floors were the only floors to not have received recent remodels and were inferior quality due to flooded carpets and mold.

At numerous hotels I have been informed at different times that the front desk has no more available rooms but then I can go on Agoda and book a room for that same night. This suggests to me that Agoda does save or "buy in bulk" a group of rooms contrary to what you indicate above.

Have never found any Booking site cheaper than emailing in advance asking for best price. Just prior to posting this gone on Agoda to compare Sabai Lodge Soi 2 Pattaya where we just returned from.

Rates are same in Febuary as they are when we left. We paid 900 Baht a night. Price Febuary 900 Baht a night (email price). Price Agoda based on current exchange rates 1406 Baht !!

Absolute joke

Edited by Chivas

Have never found any Booking site cheaper than emailing in advance asking for best price. Just prior to posting this gone on Agoda to compare Sabai Lodge Soi 2 Pattaya where we just returned from.

Rates are same in Febuary as they are when we left. We paid 900 Baht a night. Price Febuary 900 Baht a night (email price). Price Agoda based on current exchange rates 1406 Baht !!

Absolute joke

If Agoda found out, the hotel would lose their "Agoda membership".

Absolute joke

lol !!

Their Website is there for all to see !! I'll repeat have never found one single hotel ever cheaper on Agoda than standard email contact. Looks like Agoda will need to remove 100's of Hotels

Absolute joke

lol !!

Their Website is there for all to see !! I'll repeat have never found one single hotel ever cheaper on Agoda than standard email contact. Looks like Agoda will need to remove 100's of Hotels

You have no idea how incorrect your statements actually are....

They are basically corrupt people with nice beaches, food and girls.

It's always amazed me that Thailand has a reputation for nice beaches. Maybe I am just too fussy when it comes to the definition of nice beach.

There are some stunning beaches if you know where to look.

But that's for you to find out,I know where they are but I'm not telling anyone because I don't want to.

Back on topic.

I use agoda very often in the past,great rates never an issue,I don't do price comparison to lazy for that.

Absolute joke

lol !!

You have no idea how incorrect your statements actually are....

I speak as I find. Never once have I found Agoda or any of the others cheaper than direct Email contact. Those ARE the facts period

Edited by Chivas

Chivas

those are your facts as reported by you only. the truth is the opposite. there are MANY hotels that wont sell rooms direct to a customer either walk in or email and especially when a hotel uses a 3rd party booking company such as the one in question. If you are emailing a hotel directly to get rooms then it is a small hotel or guesthouse

im not saying you are wrong in your experiences with whatever hotels you have used, im saying your statement is absolutely not correct with MANY hotels and especially ones that have agreements with 3rd party booking companies. what you have experienced is definitely not the norm.

Just this evening heard a report from a German radio station about booking.com that exactly tried to gag hotel to their "best price" in any means.

Not a single condition offered by the hotel directly (be it on the website, via mail, phone etc.) must be better than booking.com.

As I understood booking.com lost a court case and can not continue with this practice.

First with last 13 year I stay here the hotel stuff of reception told me a price for walk in pay at counter of 1500 baht

Coz American Company

For my understanding agoda charge a 10 Procent fee of each booking so who is the winner in this system I not realy understand it

Also reception later recomend me must book online cheaper can it realy happen that in total the for more money from Agoda in mass booking that everybody would pay at counter

On hotel website before high season and also now a price of 590 Bhat was showing

I called hotel 2 weeks before and make a tel confirmation for longtime stay for 500 baht yes sir 500 baht was Aswer on phone

The broke there promises give me before on phone, it's normal that price go up in high season but that's very tricky cheating before high season the old agly room with laud noisy aircon was cheaper then superior room all rooms casts same reception stuff real unfriendly want book massage you must pay at counter first cAnot pay woman directly is this a case for the Thailand tourist authority? Did ever someone contact them in similar cases and got any help?

It's also depend on what promotion the tourist behind you was. Example 1 year booking in advance non refundable might be way cheaper than a walk in in high season. It's work more or less like the airline tickets. Book long before your ticket or just buy your ticket at the airport for the next flight...

A guest who book is room in advance, with a secured deposit (under clear cancellation or no show fees conditions) will get a better deal than a guest just showing up a the reception asking if there is a room available or even just a phone call which give no guaranty to the hotel that the guest will really come and might leave the hotel with a room not sold without a any profit.

They are basically corrupt people with nice beaches, food and girls.

It's always amazed me that Thailand has a reputation for nice beaches. Maybe I am just too fussy when it comes to the definition of nice beach.

Exactly !

They quit having nice beaches 30 years ago.

Coz American Company

It's also depend on what promotion the tourist behind you was. Example 1 year booking in advance non refundable might be way cheaper than a walk in in high season. It's work more or less like the airline tickets. Book long before your ticket or just buy your ticket at the airport for the next flight...

A guest who book is room in advance, with a secured deposit (under clear cancellation or no show fees conditions) will get a better deal than a guest just showing up a the reception asking if there is a room available or even just a phone call which give no guaranty to the hotel that the guest will really come and might leave the hotel with a room not sold without a any profit.

Actually no, hotel tickets are not like that. Hotel and airline tickets are sold based on season model. More customers staying, higher room price and seasonal rates drive up the price.

Also with airlines the days of booking early are over too. With so many cheap tickets and specials, you cannot count on the old way of purchasing early getting cheaper seats. Its a complicated world anymore

Coz American Company

Actually no, hotel tickets are not like that. Hotel and airline tickets are sold based on season model. More customers staying, higher room price and seasonal rates drive up the price.

Also with airlines the days of booking early are over too. With so many cheap tickets and specials, you cannot count on the old way of purchasing early getting cheaper seats. Its a complicated world anymore

Agreed but what i mean is: book a room in my hotel in Phuket today for a stay in December 2016, using one of the OTA and you will get a very competitive rate. Or just show up in my hotel in Dec 2016 without reservation and you are pretty sure that won't get the rate of the guest that booked today, so a year ago. Also as mentioned, prices are different according to the season.

Yes not always with the airlines but mostly you might get a higher price if you try to get a ticket at the airport for the next flight available.

Coz American Company

Agreed but what i mean is: book a room in my hotel in Phuket today for a stay in December 2016, using one of the OTA and you will get a very competitive rate. Or just show up in my hotel in Dec 2016 without reservation and you are pretty sure that won't get the rate of the guest that booked today, so a year ago. Also as mentioned, prices are different according to the season.

Yes not always with the airlines but mostly you might get a higher price if you try to get a ticket at the airport for the next flight available.

Especially in Thailand with hotels the rates are based on high and low season and NOTHING else. Now thats not to say you cant get lucky and get a different rate but as a NORM, its all about season. There are several guys on TV that own hotels and guest houses maybe they can chime in and give their views, that would be interesting.