Bread making fundamentals

Kenny202

anyone wanna discuss their efforts making traditional middle eastern and indian flat breads?...arabic bread, chapatis, parathas, nan...etc...oven or stove top...I seen recipes on the internet but they sound a bit too 'simple'...and my previous efforts were of limited success...

any mixing devices or machinery involved?

Edited by tutsiwarrior

anyone wanna discuss their efforts making traditional middle eastern and indian flat breads?...arabic bread, chapatis, parathas, nan...etc...oven or stove top...I seen recipes on the internet but they sound a bit too 'simple'...and my previous efforts were of limited success...

any mixing devices or machinery involved?

Try this recipe:

https://www.ploetzblog.de/2011/09/09/tuerkisches-fladenbrot-rezept-ii/

Please use Google translate

I made it today.
You should have mixer with kneading hooks and oven.

837c26477f7b2639ebcbbc301716870d.jpg

Arabian Flatbread

Together with some home-made Mungbean spread (similar to Humus)

15ea9046df946a7f40966c88ca877c7b.jpg

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Try this recipe:

https://www.ploetzblog.de/2011/09/09/tuerkisches-fladenbrot-rezept-ii/

Please use Google translate

I made it today.
You should have mixer with kneading hooks and oven.

837c26477f7b2639ebcbbc301716870d.jpg

Arabian Flatbread

Together with some home-made Mungbean spread (similar to Humus)

15ea9046df946a7f40966c88ca877c7b.jpg

yeah...mung beans are available but chickpeas aren't...do you need tahini for the mung bean spread?

• Like 1

yeah...mung beans are available but chickpeas aren't...do you need tahini for the mung bean spread?

Like I said, it's more like a own creation Mung bean spread.

250g Mungbean
Cook in rice cooker (non-stick!!!) or equivalent until very soft and water has evaporated

Then add (as available)
Cream cheese
Yogurt
Butter or Oil
Milk

Until soft texture reached

For seasoning I used:
Finely cut Cilantro green, spring onion and garlic
Cumin powder
Black pepper powder
Ground chili
Sugar
Salt
Vinegar
Mustard

• 2 weeks later...
I've seen bread machines here for 7000 baht plus. Could pick one up at a yard sale back home near new for $10 :-( I miss yard sales and pawn shops

Where are you seen bread machine?, I'm living in Chantha, I'm interested to buy one. Thanks [emoji106]
  • Like 1

Where are you seen bread machine?, I'm living in Chantha, I'm interested to buy one. Thanks [emoji106]

For ordering online, check Lazada or Aliexpress. Plenty of them

Personally, and if you have space in your kitchen, I would recommend you to buy oven and kitchen mixer separate.
Cost is equal and you have more possibilities.
  • Like 1

Anyone tried Agar to improve texture of soft bread?

Actually I looked for a recipe to copy Subway bread that requires wheat gluten.
Knowing that it might be not available here I searched for substitutes and came to the Agar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Anyone tried Agar to improve texture of soft bread?

Actually I looked for a recipe to copy Subway bread that requires wheat gluten.
Knowing that it might be not available here I searched for substitutes and came to the Agar.

You mean that stuff from Japanese algue? I sometimes use it in desserts instead of gelatine, but in bread? 

But in Makro they sell a bread improver (Imperial brand I believe), maybe that helps. If I make soft breads, I mix approx 10% butter of in the dough, that improves a lot, but honestly I haven't been in a subway in years, so I'm not sure this is what you mean.

• Like 2

You mean that stuff from Japanese algue? I sometimes use it in desserts instead of gelatine, but in bread? 

But in Makro they sell a bread improver (Imperial brand I believe), maybe that helps. If I make soft breads, I mix approx 10% butter of in the dough, that improves a lot, but honestly I haven't been in a subway in years, so I'm not sure this is what you mean.

Yes it's made from red algae and commonly used in deserts.

It has better heat stability than gelatine and can be mixed straight with the dry ingredients.

Supposed to give the bread more moisture, chewability and longer bread "fibers"

Commercial breads use Guar or Xanthan gum but I see no way to get these in small amounts here.

Besides that in the Subway copy recipe the fresh loaf is brushed with butter straight after baking to achieve a soft crust and cool down under a kitchen towel to retain steam.

I will try soon, and if successful, post the recipe here

1 minute ago, CLW said:

I will try soon, and if successful, post the recipe here

I'm curious. Just worried that the agar will bind with the water of the bread, and your nice bun will have the feeling of a perfect silicone tit. Don't want you to have issues with the missus....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, U235 said:

The bread improver that Makro sells is called KS 505 and is generally close to the yeast and flour shelves.

I use it every time I make bread and rolls and it does a good job.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2016 at 9:19 PM, CLW said:

Passed the Thai test 555
Even GF likes it, so it must be soft.

Anyone has an idea how to make the most horrible cake in the world?

The problem is: I make nice cakes (at least I think so) but my family doesn't like them at all. If I ask what is wrong with them. the answer is always "you should make them more Thai style".

I figured out that 'Thai Style' means a very light, artificial cake, full of chemicals. If possible in all the colors of the rainbow. The kind you buy in 7/11

But how to make them? I suppose one of these cake mixes in the supermarket will do, but I prefer to mix my poison by myself. It became a real challenge for me... Already tried overdoses of baking powder an to substitute the butter with palm oil, but still 'too falang'. Even the nice green colour I added to the dough could not convince them :smile:

So anyone has an idea how I can win a Thai baking contest?

Anyone has an idea how to make the most horrible cake in the world?

The problem is: I make nice cakes (at least I think so) but my family doesn't like them at all. If I ask what is wrong with them. the answer is always "you should make them more Thai style".

I figured out that 'Thai Style' means a very light, artificial cake, full of chemicals. If possible in all the colors of the rainbow. The kind you buy in 7/11

But how to make them? I suppose one of these cake mixes in the supermarket will do, but I prefer to mix my poison by myself. It became a real challenge for me... Already tried overdoses of baking powder an to substitute the butter with palm oil, but still 'too falang'. Even the nice green colour I added to the dough could not convince them [emoji2]

So anyone has an idea how I can win a Thai baking contest?

What exactly they don't like?
And what kind of cake did you do already and what kind of cake your family wants to eat?

I would think a well done European style cake should also be liked from Thais.

15 hours ago, CLW said:

What exactly they don't like?
And what kind of cake did you do already and what kind of cake your family wants to eat?

I would think a well done European style cake should also be liked from Thais.

It is difficult to describe in words what they don't like, but is seems my cakes are not 'airy' enough.

Look at the pics of the breads you posted here and compare with a Farmhouse bread you can buy in 7/11: they would prefer Farmhouse for the same reason.

I'm talking about 'muffin and biscuit' style' cakes.

Normally, I don't care if they like it or not, but at birthdays I'm always asked to deliver the cake, and it is very frustrating that I have to trow away half of it.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to outsmart them and made an Italian 'torta di riso a miele'. Main ingredients are rice and honey (not light and airy at all, but rice should be something they like I supposed) Even substituted the carnaloni  rice with jasmine rice to be sure to obtain the 'Thai taste'. Do you think they liked it? Nope! (but they loved the red jellies...)

IMG_1350.JPG

• Like 2

It is difficult to describe in words what they don't like, but is seems my cakes are not 'airy' enough.

Look at the pics of the breads you posted here and compare with a Farmhouse bread you can buy in 7/11: they would prefer Farmhouse for the same reason.

I'm talking about 'muffin and biscuit' style' cakes.

Normally, I don't care if they like it or not, but at birthdays I'm always asked to deliver the cake, and it is very frustrating that I have to trow away half of it.

A couple of weeks ago, I tried to outsmart them and made an Italian 'torta di riso a miele'. Main ingredients are rice and honey (not light and airy at all, but rice should be something they like I supposed) Even substituted the carnaloni  rice with jasmine rice to be sure to obtain the 'Thai taste'. Do you think they liked it? Nope! (but they loved the red jellies...)

IMG_1350.thumb.JPG.d8f486417cc5af1c59124d8f1715ef2c.JPG

Okay, I think I understand your "problem".

For bread, you could try any recipe with water roux / Tangzhong.
Also you will have to increase the sugar and fat content. It's insane, no one in Europe would call it a bread anymore, but here they like it. I don't bake or eat it [emoji16]

For cake, you could try angel or chiffon cake recipes. They have a very light and fluffy texture.
Any cheesecake was also liked.
Especially fluffy Japanese cheesecake (sure, everything from Japan or Korea is popular here 555)

Good luck!
  • Like 1