Felangs publicly disrespecting the Thai National anthem

luke000

I was sat in a temple recently having something to eat , every Sunday the temple grounds turn into eating place . At 6 PM, as every Sunday, the National anthem got played and every one stood up .
Everyone stood up apart from one felang woman , I looked at her and moved my hand up and down letting her know that She should stand up .
To my surprise, she shook her head and refused to stand up .
Once the National anthem had finished , I walked over to her and said to her that she should stand up for the National anthem , She just smiled and said "I know"
I asked her why She didnt stand up and and she mumbled about "lots of other things going on in the World" .
I then said that its disrespectful to remain seated for the National anthem , she smiled again and said "I know" .
I reckon that she was being rebellious for rebellious sake, if everyone else would have remained seated, she would have probably stood up

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The market where I eat it is surprising how many thai people dont stand for the national Anthem.

There are some places where no one stands up, and there are other places where everyone stands yup, like in bus stations and certain other public places .

I just do as everyone else does.

If they stand up, I do as well.

If they dont stand up, then neither do I

Seem to have seen this posted on another forum some months ago, unless there are lots of foreign women not standing at temples for the anthem

Yes, I did post it on another forum, but I thought that I would post it here as well, since I only recently joined TV

As a Brit, I wouldn't expect any foreigner to stand up for God Save The Queen.

In fact, there are quite a few nationalities that we Brits have been rather beastly to, that if they did stand up, it could be construed as disrespectful to their own countries.

Should a Burmese person stand up for the Thai national anthem?

In fact, there are quite a few nationalities that we Brits have been rather beastly to, that if they did stand up, it could be construed as disrespectful to their own countries.

If they have good reason to disrespect a National anthem, then fair enough, dont stand .

But the lady in question , had no good reason.

I did ask her why, and she offered no reason at all

Seem to have seen this posted on another forum some months ago, unless there are lots of foreign women not standing at temples for the anthem

Yes, I did post it on another forum, but I thought that I would post it here as well, since I only recently joined TV

Wee you not happy with the replies you received on the 'other Forum'?

Thought of sort of the game was 'Ask the question, get the answers'.

Seems you have been answered already.

BTW, I stand, but I don't cuss Thai or Westerner who doesn't.

Not my country, nor does my opinion count.

Dear OP,

No-one put you in charge of the world. No-one is beholden to you to explain their actions. It doesn't matter how much of a tizzy you work yourself into. If this had been an actual problem for people around her, I'm sure they'd have let her know. That they didn't just shines a light on your own actions. Unasked for, uncalled for and obnoxious is the person who harangues another for minding their own business and that's you.

So let it go, not just now but always. In Thailand, there are many Thais and they are perfectly capable of demarking what they consider respectable behaviour without any input from you at all.

Cheers.

Not her country, not her anthem.

Why should she stand up?

Because She appeared to be obnoxious and arrogant .

If She genuinely has no respect for Thailand, one must question why She bothers coming here

You saw how the army in CM treated random foreigners at 11pm Friday night (Moonmuang Soi 1/2).

Who can have any respect for such a place?

Dear OP,

No-one put you in charge of the world. No-one is beholden to you to explain their actions. It doesn't matter how much of a tizzy you work yourself into. If this had been an actual problem for people around her, I'm sure they'd have let her know. That they didn't just shines a light on your own actions. Unasked for, uncalled for and obnoxious is the person who harangues another for minding their own business and that's you.

So let it go, not just now but always. In Thailand, there are many Thais and they are perfectly capable of demarking what they consider respectable behaviour without any input from you at all.

Cheers.

Dear SiemReaper : I could equally use the same logic in regards to your reply to my post

Loads of Thais ignore the national anthem.

Where this event occurred, in the Sunday market in Chiang Mai, everyone stood up and stood still, thousands of people , Thais and Foreigners alike...............apart from ONE person

I agree it's kinda a middle finger. If it's not your country, you're really not making a statement other than one of ignorance.

You saw how the army in CM treated random foreigners at 11pm Friday night (Moonmuang Soi 1/2).

Who can have any respect for such a place?

I just saw some army raiding a premises because of a complaint about noise after hours , also, as the bar opened as usual the following day, one must assume that no further action was taken.

I havent seen or heard of the army harassing foreigners , or even the army having any contact with regular foreigners at all , let alone mistreating them

I agree with everything you just said but if you are in the UK or Thailand you should stand up or just stay at home

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not her country, not her anthem.

Why should she stand up?

Because She appeared to be obnoxious and arrogant .

If She genuinely has no respect for Thailand, one must question why She bothers coming here

Many people visit many countries with no desire to respect them but more for the opportunities afforded to them to fulfill their own egocentric desires.

That may explain the magic found here!

Edited by WaiLai

I am just curious What business is it of yours what a complete stranger does?. Why do you think she has to explain herself to a complete stranger such as you?

Can you not see the irony of asking a complete stranger (myself) to explain why he asked a complete stranger to explain herself (and that he had no right to do so )?

You have as much right asking me, as I have of asking her

I am just curious What business is it of yours what a complete stranger does?. Why do you think she has to explain herself to a complete stranger such as you?

Can you not see the irony of asking a complete stranger (myself) to explain why he asked a complete stranger to explain herself (and that he had no right to do so )?

It's a public fourm mate Haha which you started

Edited by juice777

Are you sure its a public fourm mate, ha ha

Are you sure its a public fourm mate, ha ha
Is it not then or am I missing something?

The market where I eat it is surprising how many thai people dont stand for the national Anthem.

There are some places where no one stands up, and there are other places where everyone stands yup, like in bus stations and certain other public places .

I just do as everyone else does.

If they stand up, I do as well.

If they dont stand up, then neither do I

What's a lemming luke?

Perhaps this lady needs a bit of defence here:

...and I play the devil's advocate saying:

she may have been totally absorbed in having been raped the previous night

she may have been absorbed in how she would deal with the multiple loan defaults she had made in her home country

- neither are small matters!

*asserting oneself and opinions upon another is tricky at the best of times - but sadly inhumane at the worst of times!