Information about Fang

outofafrica

Pubs - along Thanon Suan Dok opposite PEA (nothing to shout about)

It is Thai owned but the pizza shop beside the pub is farang owner.

Accommodation - I don't know the name but here is the GPS coordinates 19.909705, 99.207067

Also nothing to shout about but I like it because of convenience... Just right behind Tesco and it is cheap... 350 baht per night.

Btw, I just realized you mentioned April... Don't you think it is a bit too early to ask?

There is not much to do in Fang. Why are you going there?

There was recently a whole thread on Fang Started by Fang 37 a local resident. Sounds like a nice place to kick back.

Yep.

Fang

(the place, not the legendary poster)

Started by fang37, 2015-07-04 08:21 -- 95 replies

Fang is not a tourist area - no tuk-tuks; has songtaees; no m/c taxis; regular bus service to CNX; 100km to Chiang Rai

It was apparently a drug area many years ago eg yabba. Fang is famous for oranges, coffee & even oil.

Not much to do here - Lotus, Makro, no movies, many temples, a Buddhist meditation retreat centre; no golf course; no airport; expat restaurants - probably zero; spa; national park; close to bordering countries (good for visa runs if applicable)

Why did I come here?

The love of my life lived here as a youngster; her parents & relatives live here.

As CNX got busier & more polluted, Fang became more attractive.

Fang - the sky is blue; birds sing; traffic good.

We built a house. Will we live happy everafter?

Thoughts re Fang - a little premature. Basiclly, I like it; asy going. homely

Negative - English is rarely spoken here. The Thai language spoken here is difficult for me to understand.

No pub scene here. I doubt that unattached people would enjoy it.

Generally, I sense that the locals are a little scared of us expats - similar to going to the zoo - we expats are the animals.

Cost of living here - even cheaper than CNX. Buy food at the market - prices start at B20' massage - from B100/hr.

Not designed for younger people ie entertainment; no universities.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the quite life.Like to see how other people live and what make them tick. I'm not into prossies and Lady-boys so decided to see what the mountains have to offer

When did they move Fang into the mountains or the mountains to Fang?

I like the quite life.Like to see how other people live and what make them tick. I'm not into prossies and Lady-boys so decided to see what the mountains have to offer

Really? Did you make this comment out of ignorance?

While the area of Fang is ~471m/1544Ft elevation, the general elevations of the National Park is 400 to 2,285 metres above sea level.

Mae Fang National Park
Mae Fang national covers Mae Ai, Mae Fang, and Chaiprakarn districts in northern Chiang Mai province. Total area is about 524 square kilometres.
Topography
There are high mountains such as Doi Pha Hom Pog (the second highest of Thailand), Doi Pu Muen, Doi Laem, and Doi Ang Karng. These mountains are parts of Dan Laos Mountain range. General elevations pf the park is 400 to 2,285 metres above sea level. Many kinds of forest grow at their favorable elevations, and some rare tree species are found.
Climate
The weather is pleasant all year round (25.4ºC average). During November to February the average temperature is between 13 and 19ºC. On the highland above 1800 meters the temperature can be much lower in the winter.
ThaiVisa_Fang_Elevation.PNG

Wow, I'm beginning to wonder about you!

My recollection is that the city of Fang is not in the mountains just as the city of Chiang Mai is not in the mountains.

My recollection is that the city of Fang is not in the mountains just as the city of Chiang Mai is not in the mountains.

Surrounded by near mountains, both, how pedantic do you want to be!

Let's share some good information about Fang...

The below pic is situated beside Tesco and directly opposite of Bus station. The noodle shop marked by the red circle(It's closed on the day google took that street view) served 1 of the best noodle in Fang.

post-237147-0-75279000-1451876194_thumb.

• 1 year later...

I am the original fang37.

I knew 4 expats here all of whom have left.

The most complimentary thing I can say is that it is quiet (if that is what you desire).

An Immigration Office caters primarily for the Burmese. I do my 90 day checks there - 5 mins.

Language - Thai-Lanna. I could speak basic Thai but this is a different ballgame.

Services are cheap - Thai massage - B100/hr.

LOTUS & Makro.

Edited by superglue

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, outofafrica said:

Thaton ticks your boxes. It actually has very high hills right next to the town. Nice river with restaurants on it, and many resorts. I recommend the Riverside resort- amazing river view with forest on opposite bank.

As quiet as one could wish for.

Amazing temple on the hill.

It's on the bus route from Chiang Mai.

The only thought I had about Fang was that I was happy not to be staying there, as I passed through.

If driving from Chiang Mai, the Tub Tao cave is better, IMO, than Chang Dao.

Chang Dao is also a nice quiet place in the mountains, unlike Fang, with great scenery and bird life. However, not on the bus route. Can hire a bike there.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:22 PM, chiang mai said:

Then wonder about me too.

I drove through Fang and there are, IMO, no mountains near the town. Far away, yes.

I just checked on google images, and I can't find any of the town with anything resembling a mountain beside it. When I passed through, it looked so boring that I didn't even take a photo of my own.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Crikey, one section of the loop road (3037) to the second highest mountain in Thailand, Pha Hom Pok, begins just out of town along the northern segment of the Fang bypass ring road. But that stretch is unpaved. You can catch the paved road (check your brakes as it is steep)  to the top just north of Fang at Baan Huai Pa Sang.  Look for the brown tent and camping signs.  Although only the second highest peak, the views and the Royal Project up top puts Doi Inthanon to shame.  It is the only national park worth the price of Farang admission.  But yes, like just about every large town of Fang's size in Thailand, Fang is a pretty dull place to live for an ex-pat unless you have strong Thai speaking skills, and even then you will probably get bored with Fang itself eventually.  Like most of Thailand outside the tourist centers, unless you marry into the community you will be like a fish out of water,

Better to stay up in the Thaton area as Thaton always has a mix of Thai, ex-pat, and tourist visitors, a hidden gem as long as you get out of Thaton in the daytime.

We all have our own agenda for a move. Mine was fairly standard. My wife's family has its roots in this town. Then it must suit you the individual.

I was ready for a change having lived in CNX for 12 years - now 2 of Fang.

The biggest change is language - Thai-Lanna v Thai. I did not include English as there are so few with these skills.

Early to bed, early to rise; living for today - no long-term plans.

Cost of living is very affordable but for expats it is not a place to begin.