Back To Bangkok... Quick Sharp!

ourmanflint

Well I made it to Phuket finally, and I have mixed feelings, obviously with the rain and all I haven't seen Phuket at its best, but I do like it, well parts of it anyway. I stayed in Patong, and had no idea just how popular the place is, everything is overpriced, but managed to find a great AC room for 400 baht, and a couple of nice places to eat that cook real Thai food and don't charge you 20 bt for plain rice!!!

The one thing that is certain beyond any doubt however, is that I could never, ever deal with Phuket without a car. It's just impossible to get around without being ripped off, and I though Samui was bad, I cannot believe people can put up with it. 300 baht to go to Phuket town 10km away is abhorrent.

I can't even leave the place without feeling ripped off..... so I know, can anyone tell me how much the 24 seat VIP bus to Bangkok should be, on the net it's 750 baht from Official phuket sites, yet I cannot find it for less than 1200 baht anywhere in Patong. I really hate being screwed over by the transport mafia, and I've never been anywhere in the world that was as bad as Patong for ripping people off.

You might tell me that I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Really surprised!!!

:o

Well I made it to Phuket finally, and I have mixed feelings, obviously with the rain and all I haven't seen Phuket at its best, but I do like it, well parts of it anyway. I stayed in Patong, and had no idea just how popular the place is, everything is overpriced, but managed to find a great AC room for 400 baht, and a couple of nice places to eat that cook real Thai food and don't charge you 20 bt for plain rice!!!

The one thing that is certain beyond any doubt however, is that I could never, ever deal with Phuket without a car. It's just impossible to get around without being ripped off, and I though Samui was bad, I cannot believe people can put up with it. 300 baht to go to Phuket town 10km away is abhorrent.

I can't even leave the place without feeling ripped off..... so I know, can anyone tell me how much the 24 seat VIP bus to Bangkok should be, on the net it's 750 baht from Official phuket sites, yet I cannot find it for less than 1200 baht anywhere in Patong. I really hate being screwed over by the transport mafia, and I've never been anywhere in the world that was as bad as Patong for ripping people off.

You might tell me that I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. Really surprised!!!

Kimera

Well my friend I'm sorry you dont like Phuket but I hear the roads are bad (flooded even) to BKK maybe you could spend a little more time with us. That would be nice :o

Edited by Kimera

that's just it I do like it. But I know I could never live here if I had to deal with the transport mafia everytime I wanted to go somewhere. Otherwise I can see Phuket being the best of all worlds. I can't believe that the local authorities are happy with the situation as it stands. But this being Thailand, I don't think much will change which is a shame as I think everyone, tourists and residents alike would have a much better experience if it were more like Bangkok.

Hire a motorbike... you can get them for as little as 80b a day... but in the touristy areas you will expect to pay closer 150b a day.

or Hire a car... or Use the public buses...

If you were based in Patong and were on 'holiday' there isn't really much need to use transport, you have practically everything you need within a few mins walk. If you wanted to go visit the 'sights' expect to get ripped off by the tour operators, its low season and they are trying to make a buck.

The other option is to hire a car/tuk tuk with the driver for the day. It works out much more reasonable price wise and the guy will take you anywhere you wanna go.

Also, maybe you didn't realize, but you can barter for practically everything in phuket, where you paid 300b you could have haggled that down to 150b. (not always the case, but generally)

I find Bangkok is much more expensive than phuket, for everything except transport... food, drinks, sightseeing, shopping etc.

Sorry you didn't have a pleasant experience in phuket, I'm not a great fan of patong anyway.. maybe next time you come and the taxi driver says 300b, just smile offer him 200 and walk away if he doesn't accept it :o

On the beach road you'll find an open public bus on a regular schedule about 15 Baht I think.

Go with them to Phuket city and head to the bus terminal to ask for a ticket to go back to BKK, guess around 800 Baht VIP.

I would use a budget airline instead.

Gerd

Expats living in Phuket enjoy it, for the most part. Bitching and complaining, we do that, but at the end of the day, who wants BKK traffic and pollution.

You are welcome to it.

Patong expensive, finding out you need transportation to get anywhere, etc etc etc. Some background info prior to coming would have helped you a bit.

Those of us who live here, bid you adieu!

Edited by sniperteam6

I'm still here, can't seem to make the break and leave!!!! I'm in no rush now, missed my appointment at Bumrungrad, so maybe I'll explore more.

I did take a bus today to Central, 20 baht great, but then I didn't know they stopped at 5 o'clock and had to pay 300 baht back again, yes I did try to offer 200 for 10 minutes but no go!!!

made it to Phuket town today to buy my bus ticket and thought I'd let you know how much they are.

Government bus (999) are 970 bt, and private co. 1045 bt, both 24 seat VIP.

I'll definitely be back soon, Phuket has grown on me.

Cheers

Maybe I was to harsh on my first reply, Phuket does grow on people. maybe YOU can fit in :o

Would it not be much cheaper to get a GF for a few days and let her haggle for everything.

There is a two tier system of priceing.

Think of the fun you would have as well as saving money.

easy come easy go.

Would it not be much cheaper to get a GF for a few days and let her haggle for everything.

There is a two tier system of priceing.

Think of the fun you would have as well as saving money.

easy come easy go.

You are surely not suggesting people are not equal here, like the fun bit tho, think we could haggle there ! :o

quick hint on tuk tuks ........

Don't get them where they are hanging out .... go to the road going the direction you want and wait for one going empty.

In Kamala they ask 300 to go to Patong <even closer than Central Festival is from Patong> However .... I wait on the main rd and pay 150 (they ask 300 coming back and always accept 200 ... and that is at 2 am and me being 1/2 in the bag!)

(I have the bike for anywhere but truly hate riding in the rain!)

made it to Phuket town today to buy my bus ticket and thought I'd let you know how much they are.

Cheers

you can normally fly air asia for that much ,or sometimes less!

Cheers

I know but all in all with taxis to and from the airports it works out double in reality, ( 899 Bt ticket, 650 taxes, then at least 600 bt in cab fares, so 2100 bt approx ) by the way is ther a domestic departure tax at Phuket airport??

The van scam from the airport is only 150 baht. Meter taxi is 400.

Private car back to airport is normally only 400-500.

There is regular cheap bus service. Moto taxi are just 20 baht.

If you think 400 baht for an aircon room too much(perhaps you'd prefer the dumps on KoaSan road?...what can I say.?There are hundreds of places to eat for 25-30 baht.

Too expensive!!!!!! &lt;deleted&gt;.

Maybe you're in the wrong country. Try Cambodia!

We like Phuket because it isn't Bangkok.

Edited by kasi

The van scam from the airport is only 150 baht. Meter taxi is 400.

Private car back to airport is normally only 400-500.

There is regular cheap bus service. Moto taxi are just 20 baht.

If you think 400 baht for an aircon room too much(perhaps you'd prefer the dumps on KoaSan road?...what can I say.?There are hundreds of places to eat for 25-30 baht.

Too expensive!!!!!! &lt;deleted&gt;.

Maybe you're in the wrong country. Try Cambodia!

We like Phuket because it isn't Bangkok.

There had to be one didn't there... the ability to read is wasted on some people isn't it???

I was very happy with my 400 bt AC room and yes I did eat at a few 30 bt food stalls and they were great, best food I had there. Maybe if you read my post you may have understood that my only gripe was with the trafic mafia in Patong.

Maybe you've had one too many!!

:o

Edited by ourmanflint

I've just flown with Thai Air Asia. Flight o.k. but announced prices "just for show". Paid (in September, Flight FD 3028) as follows:

Announced Price B 799

LOTUS Service Fee Dom B 20

Admin Fee B 50

Insurance Fee B 50

Airport Tax B 50

Other Service (???) B 400

Subtotal B 1369

VAT (7 %) B 96

Total Amount B 1465

That is the reality!

I've just flown with Thai Air Asia. Flight o.k. but announced prices "just for show". Paid (in September, Flight FD 3028) as follows:

Announced Price B 799

LOTUS Service Fee Dom B 20

Admin Fee B 50

Insurance Fee B 50

Airport Tax B 50

Other Service (???) B 400

Subtotal B 1369

VAT (7 %) B 96

Total Amount B 1465

That is the reality!

I'm guessing that was through a travel agent?

You can get rid of a lot of those charges by booking the ticket yourself online...

Edited by jezchesters