Van Driver Seen Stabbing At Reporter Surrenders, Gets Fined

snoop1130

Van Driver Seen Stabbing At Reporter Surrenders, Gets Fined
Teeranai Charuvastra
Staff Reporter

14508627501450862850l.jpg
Anan Charoenkham (left) apologized to his victim Bancha Eiammeechai yesterday at Ayutthaya Police Station (photo by Matichon)

AYUTTHAYA -- The public van driver who attempted to stab a TV reporter in Ayutthaya province with a knife for honking his horn at him has surrendered himself to police and apologized to his victim.

Although the driver, Anan Charoenkham, 45, was initially charged with attempted murder, the charge was dropped at the request of the victim,police say. His punishment was reduced to a 2,500 baht fine and a possible sanction by the Department of Land Transport in the province.

Anan surrendered himself to police at Ayutthaya Police Station on Tuesday morning, said an officer at the station, Col. Ekkarat Uncharoen.

The suspect reportedly confessed to attacking Thai PBS reporter Bancha Eiammeechai on Monday after the reporter honked his horn at him. According to Col. Ekkarat, Anan said he reacted with a momentary flash of rage.

Anan also apologized in person to Bancha yesterday at the police station, and in return Bancha withdrew the criminal charge against the van driver.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1450862750

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-12-23

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The amount of broken face on those two (with only the cop grinning like a loon).

The van driver looks like he could still stab the other guy at any minute and is probably ashamed at having to do this public apology and also having his face out there so people now know who he is. But hey, it was either this or an attempted murder charge.

I am thinking that the reporter has been told by certain people to seek the apology and look like the bigger man. I bet he would of wanted to of pressed charges, I know I would of.

The cop is just happy for the photo op, aren't they always?

Of course their could be other pics where they are all smiles but this looks like genuine awkwardness.

Edited by mrrizzla

Firstly, I thought it was illegal to carry knives in Thailand.

Secondly, (and here come the groans) Would the incident have been handled differently if the knee wielder had been a foreigner?

Without camera's this story would have had another ending i guess.

So his boss is happy to let him drive again tomorrow? And the passengers also still will use his service? Amazing Thailand.

"The suspect reportedly confessed to attacking Thai PBS reporter Bancha Eiammeechai on Monday after the reporter honked his horn at him."

"According to Col. Ekkarat, Anan said he reacted with a momentary flash of rage." wai2.gifwai.gif

Right. Ok then. Someone honks their horn at you and you temporally lose your mind, deciding to go after them with a 10 inch blade. Sounds reasonable. NOT.

And for those who don't bother to click on that little thingy, "Full Story";

"Anan was still fined 2,500 baht on counts of carrying a weapon into a residential area, attempted physical assault and behaving in an aggressive manner towards other motorists."

2,500B, not enough of course. No question he should be in jail. Especially given the fact that it's 3 aggravated offenses.

"The Department of Land Transport is also deliberating other possible punishments for Anan, Ekkarat said."

Edited by iReason

I never honk my horn in Thailand. Still alive.

I can believe that "balo". I guess you wai, bow, and bend over.

Honk your horn at the wrong person and you might never get a chance to wai, bow or bend over - plus you sound like a newby to Thailand, but live and learn while you can.

Firstly, I thought it was illegal to carry knives in Thailand.

Secondly, (and here come the groans) Would the incident have been handled differently if the knee wielder had been a foreigner?

I think the Japanese reporter who was wearing a bullet proof vest is still in custody...

Jesus. Talk about a nutty looking bloke. People would think after his latest performance that he doesn't know the difference between right and wrong, he doesn't even look like he knows the difference between right and left.

This dude needs some serious therapy / education. He is probably tooling himself up again for work tomorrow as we speak. Despicable outcome

Hmm! A guy pulled a hammer at me today for something similar. There was about five meters or less between my car and the one in front. He cut in (a Jazz) and slammed on his brakes. I almost rear-ended his car, so I changed lanes, rolled down and waved my hand at him. That was it. He flipped and cut in front of me again, sideways this time, brandishing a hammer. I believe he must have been watching too many movies.

I'm getting a dash cam asap.

When i just started driving motocy in BKK a minivan cut me off terrible on a backroad here in the neighbourhood. There was no need for that at all since i drove behind another car that he couldn't pass.

I have a carhorn on my bike and used it long.

At the mainroad i drove next to his window and looked at him for a while then i moved to the left.

Weeks after that many minivans who pickup kids here in the moobaans to bring to school all horned to me when they saw me driving.

I bet he told his mates about me. But i'm not scared for a knife like that neither, if people cut me off when there's no need for it then i horn.

Hmm! A guy pulled a hammer at me today for something similar. There was about five meters or less between my car and the one in front. He cut in (a Jazz) and slammed on his brakes. I almost rear-ended his car, so I changed lanes, rolled down and waved my hand at him. That was it. He flipped and cut in front of me again, sideways this time, brandishing a hammer. I believe he must have been watching too many movies.

Dask cams are wonderful.

Do you think a Thai male becomes even more aggitated when he is admonished by a farang or a fellow Thai?

Serious question...

Thanks

dashcam won't save you from a mad thai! they have no control because they know it's irrelevant if they kill you

Dashcams work great!

But what he did to you is normal for a Thai, everything at the very last moment. They have never learned how to drive safe.

Motobikedrivers are lesser humans for them, especially small bikes.

If you're a big guy that might also help to scare them off.

But look at this minivandriver's case, 2500 baht fine for what he did facepalm.gif .....in my homecountry he would loose his license and get a course in anger control which he would have to pay himself. His boss would fire him instantly and all his customers would rather buy a bicycle.

Dashcams work great!

But what he did to you is normal for a Thai, everything at the very last moment. They have never learned how to drive safe.

Motobikedrivers are lesser humans for them, especially small bikes.

If you're a big guy that might also help to scare them off.

But look at this minivandriver's case, 2500 baht fine for what he did facepalm.gif .....in my homecountry he would loose his license and get a course in anger control which he would have to pay himself. His boss would fire him instantly and all his customers would rather buy a bicycle.

your 'home country'? where do you come from? any country in Europe would JAIL someone for threatening with a hammer! it's disgusting and cowardly and no doubt he goes make merit next day as if nothing happened as he's a 'good thai'