Repatriated Yank nearing retirement; Thailand or Costa Rica ?

maxman71

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

What about the Madrid bombings....do you have a selective memory?

Depending on your finances, places like Spain are not expensive as well. Why not travel and rent 3-6 months at a time until you find your ideal?

It also depends on your ability with languages. Thai is not easy because it's tonal, and the alphabet is far more complex. For a native English speaker, languages in Europe and South America are easier.

IMHO, there are a lot of expats in Thailand who rob themselves financially and culturally every day, because they refuse to learn anything but the most basic Thai.

I am a retired Brit, started living in the South of Spain 2000.

4 years ago, met my now Thai wife.

We spend half the year in Spain and half in Thailand.

In the south East of Spain, there are some cities with very few expats, we live in such a city.

Truthfully, I prefer Spain for many reasons.

Health care, driving standards good (except for major holidays), drive on the right, I can own property, easy language lots of choices for food and wine plentiful and cheap.

The cost of living in Spain is similar to Thailand.

A couple of years ago we had Danish friends visiting and together we traveled as far as Gibraltar. Along the way stayed in a tiny mountain village and then in La Linea, the border with Gib.

Our friends said that they couldn't believe how safe they felt wandering the streets with us at 2 am, visiting Tapas bars or eating ice cream.

Copenhagen is apparently not that safe any more, especially with the influx of Muslim refugees.

As one poster suggested, flip a coin and see where that takes you.

You might get lucky. - I did!

Good luck

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also love the Thai sense of humour, and find the Thai soap operas very enjoyable!

just a note - some see third world - others see developing world

For me, the biggest reason to be here is that I enjoy Thai people and Thai culture and sense of humor.

But, to each his own - hope you find yours.

Thai sense of humour ????????

It's sometimes unconscious; however, can be very funny. My Thai GF blew me away when she pointed out an ad on TV for Air Asia, flights for 599 baht. I asked "Where to?" She said " I don't know - does that matter?"cheesy.gif

I also love the Thai sense of humour, and find the Thai soap operas very enjoyable!

For me, the biggest reason to be here is that I enjoy Thai people and Thai culture and sense of humor.

It's sometimes unconscious; however, can be very funny. My Thai GF blew me away when she pointed out an ad on TV for Air Asia, flights for 599 baht. I asked "Where to?" She said " I don't know - does that matter?"cheesy.gif

No comment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Madrid_train_bombings

What about the Madrid bombings....do you have a selective memory?

Depending on your finances, places like Spain are not expensive as well. Why not travel and rent 3-6 months at a time until you find your ideal?

It also depends on your ability with languages. Thai is not easy because it's tonal, and the alphabet is far more complex. For a native English speaker, languages in Europe and South America are easier.

IMHO, there are a lot of expats in Thailand who rob themselves financially and culturally every day, because they refuse to learn anything but the most basic Thai.

I am a retired Brit, started living in the South of Spain 2000.

4 years ago, met my now Thai wife.

We spend half the year in Spain and half in Thailand.

In the south East of Spain, there are some cities with very few expats, we live in such a city.

Truthfully, I prefer Spain for many reasons.

Health care, driving standards good (except for major holidays), drive on the right, I can own property, easy language lots of choices for food and wine plentiful and cheap.

The cost of living in Spain is similar to Thailand.

A couple of years ago we had Danish friends visiting and together we traveled as far as Gibraltar. Along the way stayed in a tiny mountain village and then in La Linea, the border with Gib.

Our friends said that they couldn't believe how safe they felt wandering the streets with us at 2 am, visiting Tapas bars or eating ice cream.

Copenhagen is apparently not that safe any more, especially with the influx of Muslim refugees.

As one poster suggested, flip a coin and see where that takes you.

You might get lucky. - I did!

Good luck

There are bombings everywhere for goodness sake.

Are you one of those folk who won't fly because of Muslim bombings?

Sounds like your nickname is spot on?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_2015

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/terrorism

If you think culture in the US is in a downward spiral (and I am not dosagreeing with you), then you have obviously not spent anytime in CR.

It would take 20 more years of spiralling before the US culture could go as low as the Tico culture ever ascended (and that was in the late 1970's).

Seriously, the culture is terrible.

Are you reading the Tico Times online newspaper at the very least?

Look up recent home invasions and murders. You think Thailand has no penalty for criminals? Don't even get me started. ;-)

Too late.

Before you reply read the OP. He has lived here for 6 years. He was here in 2010 when Thackson hired a mob to try and burn Bangkok down when they burned down civic centers in other cities. He knows what Thailand is like. Get your head out of where the sun doesn't shine. He has lived in the States for 4 years and seen the decline. He is wondering which is the best place. I vote for Chiang Mai. I don't remember being killed or broken into in the nine years I have lived here.

OP I hear Ecuador is another nice country to retire to. Take your time and look at the positives each offers you. Put it on paper. I find that helps me when I have a tough situation to resolve.

Yes, which is far more pronounced than in places such as good old UK, where everyone seems to walk around with a long face, particularly in the soggy winters - mind you, if I lived there I would I would probably find it difficult to have the permanent happy smiling face that I do here!

Ever watched the slapstick 'comedy' on television that they all find highly amusing, whatever age they are ?

Not funny in the slightest.

I was born and bred in a city known as 'the capital of humour', and the Thai's sense of humour is non existent in my eyes.

Now you are getting ridiculous alluding to an unknown capital of humor. Thai comedy shows are take offs from the masters of comedy Milton Berle and Red Skeleton. The best part is you don't even have to understand the language.

Yes, which is far more pronounced than in places such as good old UK, where everyone seems to walk around with a long face, particularly in the soggy winters - mind you, if I lived there I would I would probably find it difficult to have the permanent happy smiling face that I do here!

Ever watched the slapstick 'comedy' on television that they all find highly amusing, whatever age they are ?

I was born and bred in a city known as 'the capital of humour', and the Thai's sense of humour is non existent in my eyes.

Now you are getting ridiculous alluding to an unknown capital of humor. Thai comedy shows are take offs from the masters of comedy Milton Berle and Red Skeleton. The best part is you don't even have to understand the language.

I rest my case, take offs from American comedy.

Since I prefer hairless girls, I prefer Thailand.

Have you considered Chernobyl?

I was there in June. The only "girl" living there is this one! Allowed to return due to her age and live in the house her parents built. A bit nervous about eating the strawberries, but they were good....and no ill effects...so far! LOL

She wrote a poem in English and read it to us. And gave each of us a bunch of flowers. Very cool.

Sorry for going off topic!

wai2.gif

post-5869-0-48778700-1451006933_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-59746800-1451006939_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-64357000-1451006944_thumb.jp

I'd say bank in Costa Rica but live in Thailand.

:-)

Even better ...... Live and bank in Costa Rica. Thailand is well past it's sell by date and deteriorating all the time.

Really, so your just a bitter Thailand hater, so why follow this forum. Strange

In my experience it's two types... those who are stuck here (often with children) and those who can't let go of this place despite having moved on. And it's not a new thing, it's been around since the days of the alt.thai.whatever newsgroups... this type of back and forth 'discussion' about the positives and negatives of the LOS.

Since I prefer hairless girls, I prefer Thailand.

Have you considered Chernobyl?

I was there in June. The only "girl" living there is this one! Allowed to return due to her age and live in the house her parents built. A bit nervous about eating the strawberries, but they were good....and no ill effects...so far! LOL

She wrote a poem in English and read it to us. And gave each of us a bunch of flowers. Very cool.

Sorry for going off topic!

wai2.gif

Thanks for sharing the great photos and the story.

You are you. Nobody else is. Even if you had an identical twin who swore by Costa Rica/Thailand you might end up hating it. Decide for yourself. You sound like you aren't hurting for money. So here's what I would do.

Toss a coin, pick one country and go stay there for 6 months. Don't burn any boats. Then switch places the next 6. You'll have your answer. Good luck. Enjoy your retirement.

Sound advice. However, I would add some research just to give you some pointers and specifics to consider.

Google cost of living Bangkok vs. San Jose or Thailand vs. Costa Rica--you'll find in either, Thailand is cheaper.

Google retirement visa Costa Rica; then Thailand--you'll find the financial requirements a bit easier in Costa Rica if you have a fixed pension of at least $1,000/mo. However, if you have no fixed retirement, Costa Rica requires $2,500/mo for two years, or $60. Double the amount you need to show in Thailand, but it is for two years.

Google owning property in both countries--you'll find that foreigners have the same property rights in Costa Rica as do citizens; not so in Thailand.

You'll find more American expats and products in Costa Rica, if you need to be around your mob. Airfares to and from the US are considerably cheaper; perhaps more importantly, flight times are much shorter.

However, by far the biggest difference between the two is the people. Asians are not Latins and vice versa. The two peoples do not look, think, or act alike--that is good, but it depends on what you prefer.

I can never understand the point of these threads. Does the OP actually make up his mind based on these comments? I mean the opinions are so diverging and contradictory. Who is he going to believe? I've never been to Costa Rica, but it sounds like it's either paradise or a complete sh*thole. Good luck, OP, on trying to figure that one out.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

I live full time in a beach community in Phuket and can't imagine living anywhere else. It's a retirement community with beautiful women. Living in a small expat community, you get to know everyone in town after a while. Every day in this beautiful place is exciting. I'm never bored.

My Thai wife takes extraordinary care of me. I can barely lift a finger around the house so I work staying in shape with plenty of exercise with a daily routine.

I don't know anything about Costa Rica except that's it a whole lot damn closer to the US than LOS. Now, when I do get back to the US, I'm uncomfortable. After a few weeks of visiting family I look forward to leaving.

If I didn't know where I wanted to live, I'd try living both places on an extended basis. 3 months here, 3 months there. Why not? One place will eventually become home. Or not gigglem.gif

By the way I'd give Ecuador a look also.

I hope you're not considering buying a place in Thailand. That would be a mistake. Rent

PM me if you want additional info about this place. We can use another American in town. There aren't many.

I can only tell you what I've done. I've kept my home in the US and then I travel when I want to.

It's pretty hard for me to knock the US compared to 3rd world countries. The US is so big it's easy to find a climate you like, and you can choose rural or big city. I don't care for big cities but they make up a tiny percentage of the land mass.

I can't even imagine living full time in a third world country but to each his own.

Cheers.

I live full time in a beach community in Phuket and can't imagine living anywhere else. It's a retirement community with beautiful women. Living in a small expat community, you get to know everyone in town after a while. Every day in this beautiful place is exciting. I'm never bored.

My Thai wife takes extraordinary care of me. I can barely lift a finger around the house so I work staying in shape with plenty of exercise with a daily routine.

I don't know anything about Costa Rica except that's it a whole lot damn closer to the US than LOS. Now, when I do get back to the US, I'm uncomfortable. After a few weeks of visiting family I look forward to leaving.

If I didn't know where I wanted to live, I'd try living both places on an extended basis. 3 months here, 3 months there. Why not? One place will eventually become home. Or not gigglem.gif

I hope you're not considering buying a place in Thailand. That would be a mistake. Rent

PM me if you want additional info about this place. We can use another American in town. There aren't many.

He's trying to get a commission on rental.

Cheers.

Not many Americans there, might move there myself, I'm British ! (jovial banter).

Cheers.

What part o phuket?

I can never understand the point of these threads. Does the OP actually make up his mind based on these comments? I mean the opinions are so diverging and contradictory. Who is he going to believe? I've never been to Costa Rica, but it sounds like it's either paradise or a complete sh*thole.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and in that respect many places are indeed both paradise and complete sh*tholes at the same time.

I think the point of asking such questions here is that you will get opinions from people who know some places that you also know, and that should enable you to refine a comparison, even if what they like differs widely from what you like.

I read retirement/travel blog sites also, but I often find that the criteria used by the authors is not at all the criteria I use when deciding what would be a nice place to live.

You are you. Nobody else is. Even if you had an identical twin who swore by Costa Rica/Thailand you might end up hating it. Decide for yourself. You sound like you aren't hurting for money. So here's what I would do.

Toss a coin, pick one country and go stay there for 6 months. Don't burn any boats. Then switch places the next 6. You'll have your answer. Good luck. Enjoy your retirement.

Sound advice. However, I would add some research just to give you some pointers and specifics to consider.

Google cost of living Bangkok vs. San Jose or Thailand vs. Costa Rica--you'll find in either, Thailand is cheaper.

Google retirement visa Costa Rica; then Thailand--you'll find the financial requirements a bit easier in Costa Rica if you have a fixed pension of at least $1,000/mo. However, if you have no fixed retirement, Costa Rica requires $2,500/mo for two years, or $60. Double the amount you need to show in Thailand, but it is for two years.

Google owning property in both countries--you'll find that foreigners have the same property rights in Costa Rica as do citizens; not so in Thailand.

You'll find more American expats and products in Costa Rica, if you need to be around your mob. Airfares to and from the US are considerably cheaper; perhaps more importantly, flight times are much shorter.

However, by far the biggest difference between the two is the people. Asians are not Latins and vice versa. The two peoples do not look, think, or act alike--that is good, but it depends on what you prefer.

You might also want to Google happiest countries in world comparing LOS with Costa Rica. And you are spot on about the biggest difference is the people.

What do rentals go for in Phuket? Say a comfortable, not extravagant, two or three bedroom condo, apartment, or house.

A nice three bedroom condo with pools maybe 25-35k on a year lease. I live in an elevated 2 bedroom one bath house. Park the car and the bikes underneath. Nice area to hang out at night. It's party central with at least a couple of parties a month 13000 baht a month. thumbsup.gif

I lived for years at a nice condo for 25k a month. I love this place. Have made some permanent improvements, sink downstairs, curtains. I'll be here awhile.

Cheers.

Not many Americans there, might move there myself, I'm British ! (jovial banter).

I don't meet many Americans here. It's a looooong way from home. Pommies, Aussies and an assortment of others. No American sports on in the bars so I ignore soccer, cricket (OMG) and rugby. Thai women like Americans, probably because there are so few of us. Also our $ is worth something.

I purposely left out the name of my town but it's a Muslim community North of Patong. There's enough eurotrash here already. gigglem.gif

What do rentals go for in Phuket? Say a comfortable, not extravagant, two or three bedroom condo, apartment, or house.

A nice three bedroom condo with pools maybe 25-35k on a year lease. I live in an elevated 2 bedroom one bath house. Park the car and the bikes underneath. Nice area to hang out at night. It's party central with at least a couple of parties a month 13000 baht a month. thumbsup.gif

I lived for years at a nice condo for 25k a month. I love this place. Have made some permanent improvements, sink downstairs, curtains. I'll be here awhile.

Thanks for the information, it is appreciated, Pinot.

Do not set anchor in Thailand, the government will be as restrictive as N Korea one day very soon, the populace is being de-educated at an alarming rate and xenophobia is on the rise.

Costa Rica is a better choice and here's a good reason, a sensible energy policy- something Thailand will one day regret not adopting, preferring coal as it is profitable for a select few- environment be damned.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/costa-rica-renewable-energy-climate_56798c79e4b014efe0d6f524?utm_hp_ref=world&ir=World&section=world

Can't understand why you would want to leave the USA,

Unless it's for cheap women.

And at your age, I'd give them a miss.

Cheap hookers as a holiday treat ...... no problem.

But as a lifestyle it sucks.

I thought cheap hookers as available as a cold beer had some merit.

It seems to be a real basis on from which many think the nation is fantastic. However when one factors in the social ramifications of a rather large industry completely underground, paying no taxes and with workers marginalized as criminals, it becomes another reason to not choose Thailand.

Just FYI, when you Google "the capital of humor", Odessa, Ukraine comes up. cheesy.gif

I was born and raised in NYC, hometown of Larry David, Jerry Seinfeld, Tracy Morgan, Don Rickles, Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, George Carlin, Joan Rivers, Ben Stiller, Jerry Stiller, Anne Meara, Alan King, Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Jimmy Fallon, Keenen Ivory Wayans, Jon Stewart, Rodney Dangerfield, Jimmy Durante, Mel Brooks, Ray Romano, Rosie O'Donnell, The Marx Brothers, Whoopi Goldberg, and the Three Stooges, just to name a few.

In my opinion, Thais have a wonderful sense of humor. Slapstick is but a tiny slice of the Thai humor palette. If you take the time to learn the language, you will begin to appreciate this.

Edited by Gecko123