Drunken state blamed for British woman’s fatal fall from Phuket tuk-tuk

Jonathan Fairfield

Drunken state blamed for British woman’s fatal fall from Phuket tuk-tuk

Tanyaluk Sakoot

1450874964_1-org.jpg

PHUKET:-- The man who was travelling in the back of the tuk-tuk with British tourist Elizabeth Corrigan when she fell and fatally struck her head on the road in Kamala early last Sunday morning says she was drunk, slipped and fell.

Ms Corrigan, 29, fell from a tuk-tuk while en route from Patong to Surin at about 3:30am. Rescue workers recovered Ms Corrigan from the road near the Muslim cemetery in Kamala and rushed her to Patong Hospital.

From there she was taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital, the main government hospital on the island, in Phuket Town, where she was pronounced dead.

According to a police statement by Ms Corrigan’s male companion in the tuk-tuk at the time of her fall, named by police as Paul Henry Fortuna, 30, Ms Corrgian was very drunk and fell accidentally.

“We took Mr Fortuna’s statement on Monday,” Kamala Police Chief Col ML Pattanajak Jakkapan told The Phuket News today.

“We had to wait as he was very drunk on Sunday morning, and even on Sunday evening he still tested positive for alcohol,” he said.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-24

......a big blank as to the proceedings....

...then a clean and clear conclusion.....

...had they been keeping the 'witness' in custody......???

..a serious lack of details.....

...drunk for 2 days....from Sunday....now we are Thursday......

..I wonder if we will ever get any more answers...

...was this guy threatened with charges...deportation....did they forbid/prevent him from seeing or speaking to anyone...

...did he have any counsel...

....I hope that someone checks....

...is he British....

...why all this absence of any details or facts....

I wonder why (some) members of this forum think that they have a right to all the details of a police investigation when they wouldn't get them in their own country? And then when they don't they make all kinds of unfounded suggestions or allegations! Yes, we know the Thai police are renowned for their incompetency but are the "super sleuths" on here any more competent?

How could someone so intoxicated provide a reliable account of the incident, let alone, remember it clearly a day later????

If you are involved in an Accident the shock can sit so deep you will not forget, no matter how drunk you are.

Thailand, as a country, is culpable because they do not require Tuk-Tuk's to have seat belts and then require the driver to enforce usage of that seat-belt. If they did, then it would clearly be the driver's fault. I still think the driver has a certain amount of fault here. He should have been aware of how drunk she was and should have known that she was standing or walking around inside his Tuk-Tuk and not continued to drive until she was seated, otherwise how could she have tripped and fallen.

Thailand needs to start taking responsibility for a complete lack of safety standards.

we knew the couple were drunk so nothing much changed since the initial report

So are the authorities going to ban drunken people from using these Tuk Tuks, that would seem to be the logical next step

Then half of all tuk-tuk drivers would be out of their job!

It is in the driver's responsibility to accept only passengers which are not at risk in his vehicle. Farang logic and the law in some civilized countries.

As we are looking at an accident here: Farang guilty, his fault, case closed - next passenger to overcharge, please.

Thailand, as a country, is culpable because they do not require Tuk-Tuk's to have seat belts and then require the driver to enforce usage of that seat-belt. If they did, then it would clearly be the driver's fault. I still think the driver has a certain amount of fault here. He should have been aware of how drunk she was and should have known that she was standing or walking around inside his Tuk-Tuk and not continued to drive until she was seated, otherwise how could she have tripped and fallen.

Thailand needs to start taking responsibility for a complete lack of safety standards.

Yeah, make it another nanny state and put warning labels on knives. I think it may be time to just let all the mentally-, emotionally-, and substance-challenged just sort it out themselves--a culling of the herd, if you will.

we knew the couple were drunk so nothing much changed since the initial report

So are the authorities going to ban drunken people from using these Tuk Tuks, that would seem to be the logical next step

as far as i know it's not allowed to use public transportation while intoxicated

Yeah, make it another nanny state and put warning labels on knives. I think it may be time to just let all the mentally-, emotionally-, and substance-challenged just sort it out themselves--a culling of the herd, if you will.

Can't happen soon enough, or in enough volume!

It was either extreme curiosity ordrunk or stoned. That was my first thought when I read this story.

I have ridden in many a Tuk tuk and found them to be a fast way to get around a short distance in Bangkok

or Phuket. Or a way to get back to Kata Beach from Karon when I had too many drinks and the

night was late.

Geezer

Or maybe if tourists didn't get so drunk they could take responsibility for their own actions!

Do you really think a tuk tuk driver is going to get out and check the passengers are buckled up?

I never use them, and sure as anything i would not wear a belt if i did.

You have lived in the wrapped in cotton wool world too long.

Culpable? How about deciding for yourself? Looks dangerous, i won't use it. Why must there always be someone trying to blame others?

I remember that many years ago it was ruled that (new) Tuk Tuks where only allowed to have side entrances to avoid this kind of accidents.

Not much changed over the years, as usual i have to say.

Other way around. Side entrances were stopped in case the tuk-tuk overturned.

It is impossible to accidentally go through the rear door if you are sitting down.

I remember that many years ago it was ruled that (new) Tuk Tuks where only allowed to have side entrances to avoid this kind of accidents.

It is impossible to accidentally go through the rear door if you are sitting down.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew they (tried to) ban one of the designs.

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew they (tried to) ban one of the designs.

Applies everywhere except Phuket Town.

When will visitors ever realise your 10 baht fare is more important than your life here. Did the driver claim the lost money ? Does anyone have a duty of care here? Just look around at how Thais treat Thais and you will understand how much they care about you !

When will visitors ever realise your 10 baht fare is more important than your life here. Did the driver claim the lost money ? Does anyone have a duty of care here? Just look around at how Thais treat Thais and you will understand how much they care about you !

Bit unfair in this case. Is the driver meant to stop every time a passenger gets up from their seat?

Why is it in this day and age that the term "personal responsibility" has gone out of fashion and that faults always lie with someone else?

10 baht? cheesy.gif This is Phuket, mate.