Having A Baby In Thailand

brinog

I want to ask about having a baby in Thailand. I have been here for 16 months and I have a Teachers licence and work permit. My girlfriend is also here and we are both from Ireland. She is pregnant and we want to have the baby in Thailand. She has had a teachers licence and work permit however now she is finished her contract so I'm wondering what kind of visa she can now obtain and if it's OK for a foreign couple to have a baby in Thailand. Also I want to find out what status the baby would have if Born in Thailand. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Brinog

If you are asking about citizenship of the child according to the Royal Thai Embassy web site in Washington the child of two legal aliens born in Thailand could obtain Thai citizenship regardless of legality of their relationship (they do not have to have a registered marriage). But if either party is not legal the child could not obtain citizenship. The definition of "legal" would be key here.

I thought one of the parents had to be Thai. Given that foreigners who are legally married to Thais, yet are still prohibited from jointly owning property, it would seem rather strange (to me anyway) that two foreigners could come here on a temporary visa and have kids who were deemed Thai. Presumably the parents could then apply for a yearly renewable O visa, to 'support their Thai family.' TIT!

Both of our children were conceived in Thailand but born at home the reason is this:

Thailand will not grant any citizenship to a child born in Thailand if both parents are foreigners.

The rights of the child to citizenship of the parents varies according to the nation, you need to talk to your embassy and ask if the child will automatically gain inailiable Irish citizenship if born overseas.

If there is any question about the rights of your child to Irish citizenship because of being born overseas your child could possibly become stateless.

One final point, it is very common that the child will be given the rights of its parents if it is born overseas but that the child cannot pass those citizenship rights to a child of its own if that child (your grandchild) is born overseas. Given the increase in travel and living overseas that is a likely sinareo.

If possible give birth at home and be sure of your child's rights.

Anyone can claim Irish citizenship, so long as they have one grandparent born in Ireland.

Absolutely. In this case both parents are Irish citizens. No chance of a stateless Irish child at all. Register the birth with the Irish Authorities. You may have to that at home through the mails. AFAIK Ireland does not maintain a diplomatic presence in Thailand. Perhaps your parents could get the relevant registration forms and passport application from the Irish Ministry of Foreign Affairs in St. Stevens Green Dublin, and send them to you to save time.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife is from the Philippines, I am an American. We have had two kids born here in Thailand. Neither are Thai citzens even though we were both here on work permits when the babies were born. What the embassy says is incorrect, the defintion of legal is misleading at best and incorrect at best.

In this case, the baby will be Irish and will need a visa for Thailand, never fear though, until the age of 7, there is no fine for overstay so even a 30 day stamp works. Also make sure you get the passport in hand before attempting a border crossing. The baby can't cross until he gets his passport.

My wife is from the Philippines, I am an American. We have had two kids born here in Thailand. Neither are Thai citzens even though we were both here on work permits when the babies were born. What the embassy says is incorrect, the defintion of legal is misleading at best and incorrect at best.

In this case, the baby will be Irish and will need a visa for Thailand, never fear though, until the age of 7, there is no fine for overstay so even a 30 day stamp works. Also make sure you get the passport in hand before attempting a border crossing. The baby can't cross until he gets his passport.

I was rather sceptical about the information on the website. Thanks for that advice.

As Thaigene points out, if the child was allowed Thai citizenship, a parent could extend Non-Immigrant visa's to care for a Thai child.

I should also add that the hospital should be chosen carefully. If you are on a teacher's salary, a government seems like a good bet, but forget it! Some government hospitals have insituted a policy to charge Foreginers double price. Our first son was born in a government hospital, nice service and a nice price, but when enquiring for our second son, we found out that the Prince of Songkla Hosptial in Hat Yai had decided to charge foreginers double prices. Nevermind, we found a small neighborhood hospital that charged a nice price and offerred nice service.

About Thai visa, I wish I could get one based on my sons. But forget it. After going ona visa run to Penang, I came back with my son and tried to enter. I wanted him to get the same time as my visa, but they said that even though he was born in Thailand, he still needed the 30 day stamp and that is all they could give him, but not to worry, there is no overstay fine for kids.

Absolutely. In this case both parents are Irish citizens. No chance of a stateless Irish child at all. Register the birth with the Irish Authorities. You may have to that at home through the mails. AFAIK Ireland does not maintain a diplomatic presence in Thailand. Perhaps your parents could get the relevant registration forms and passport application from the Irish Ministry of Foreign Affairs in St. Stevens Green Dublin, and send them to you to save time

The Consulate of Ireland.

48/20, 12th Floor, TISCO Tower, North Sathorn Road, Bangrak, Bangkok, 10500

Tel. 0-2638-0303

Fax. 0-2638-0304