Bangkok Bank: No internet banking for Thailand Elite card holder

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And any rule change that occurred in 2014 was when Thai banks had to become FACTA compliant and that is what I think sandyf got caught up with at TMB and their request for additional information

Nothing to do with FACTA, I am well aware of that legislation.

Every January the BOT issues amendments to the banking regulations which just passes by as it has little effect on our day to day lives. Nobody is prepared to accept that they may actually change something that would affect us.

I got internet banking from BKK bank on a tourist visa 2 years ago (Bangkapi branch). We all know what it's like here though, one day this is required and another day it's something else.

I would be disappointed if i was the OP though being a Thailand Elite Card holder and finding them unable to assist. Isn't that the whole point of their concierge service to facilitate long stays and make life easier for the member? I was considering Thailand Elite for myself however reading stories like this puts me right off the program honestly.

Does anyone know if you can open a bank account from another city? I live in bangkok but the bankers are a bit highly strung

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

You physically have to go to the branch you want to apply at...no can do via long distance. Heck, your chances of opening a bank account in Bangkok should be much higher than out in the provinces where farangs are much fewer in numbers and probably encounter more resistance in account openings. And since your address wouldn't be in the branch's general area that could very well throw-up red flags with the branch unless they are super farang friendly. But how hard or easy it is in opening an account can vary so much from branch to branch all over Thailand based on many ThaiVisa posts I've read over the years.

Edited by Pib

Does anyone know if you can open a bank account from another city? I live in bangkok but the bankers are a bit highly strung

You physically have to go to the branch you want to apply at...no can do via long distance. Heck, your chances of opening a bank account in Bangkok should be much higher than out in the provinces where farangs are much fewer in numbers and probably encounter more resistance in account openings. But how hard or easy it is in opening an account can vary so much from branch to branch all over Thailand based on many ThaiVisa posts I've read over the years.
I'm in jomtien, I might give them here a go. I didn't have much luck trying to open a second bank account on lower Sukhumvit on a tourist visa

If account is joint or they have you listed as a tourist you must visit a branch to open internet banking with Bangkok Bank - but it is easy once you file the application - but most branch offices do not know the rules so you my have to tell them.

You hold a tourist visa or non-immigrant visa e.g. ED, EX, F, IB, IM, M, O, O-A, R, RS, D, F, SE, MT, S

(except non-immigrant L-A visa)

1. Valid passport, and
  2. ONE of the following documents:

2.1 An identity card with your photo issued by a government institution or university as such as:

- Your driver’s license, Foreign Identification Card, University Student/Professor Card

2.2 A letter of recommendation from

- Embassy, International Organization, Customer’s home bank to Bangkok Bank via the SWIFT message, a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank (such as BBL staff, customer, government officer, company executive, private firms), or home country institutions (such as pension receipt)

2.3 Other documents issued in Thailand showing your name such as:

- Bank Statement, lease agreement, utility bill, documents showing owners of a fixed asset Condominium e.g. Sale/Purchase Agreement

Silly, to ask for a reasoning in TH, but for what is that point 2.2 about, Recommendation about, for what?

What should my Embassy write? rolleyes.gif

Simple you are who your passport says you are and that you currently reside at your Thai address should do it. Just something to link you with Thailand and your name.

"you are who your passport says you are" - That does my Passport confirm already 1 So double confirm!

TIT!

"that you currently reside at your Thai address" - my Embassy - they can only confirm what I tell them or/and what I can show them proof from the Amphoe-Police registration!

Not enough to bring such a document from my Amphoe!?

My Embassy - knows nothing!

Why do they have to double confirm what the Amphoe -police knows, not them!?

So they not trust their Amphoes? But accept the useless Embassy override- confirmation? Silly!

TIT!

Edited by ALFREDO

In the OP's position I would threaten to immediately close all my accounts with the bank. I say this cos i have lots of accounts, a bit of money and have been here yonks and I have always done something like that if faced with poor service. They will soon be running around for you. That will really lower your blood pressure.... Bad customer service and petty regulations is something you never have to put up with.

I used to be with the SCB bank, I asked them for a credit card, and they told me I needed a work permit, I then told them I had one, they said fine we will get back to you. The next day they phoned me at the school and told me my credit card would be ready in about two weeks.

After about four weeks when I did not hear from them, I went to see them. They then told me my credit card had been refused.

I told them there and then to close my account. I said I do not deal with people who offer such disgraceful service.

Not surprised at all, I had millions deposited in the bank and was refused a credit card too.... But they said I can have a visa debit only ....

But it's not the same thing is it? She smiled and said, it same same, can do online shopping... Jesus wept :(

Edited by Ks45672