Police say 1 killed at crowded US mall after argument

Jonathan Fairfield

Police say 1 killed at crowded US mall after argument

STEVE REED, Associated Press

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) — A long-standing dispute sparked a shooting at a crowded North Carolina shopping mall on Christmas Eve, police said, and an off-duty officer fatally shot a man who pointed a gun in his direction.

Police said no one else was shot and there were no other reports of injuries. The shooting was not a random act but rather the result of a feud among people who knew each other — though there was no indication it was gang-related, Chief Kerr Putney of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said.

During the fight, a weapon was brandished and shots were fired about 2 p.m. at Northlake Mall in Charlotte, Putney said. Shoppers who were crowding the mall for last-minute gifts hid in stores and locked themselves inside, officials said. Police could be seen blocking all mall entrances.

Jake Wallace, 24, of Boone, North Carolina, was in Dick's Sporting Goods when shots rang out nearby — about 30 feet outside the store, near Journey's shoe store on the lower level, according to police.

"I thought someone dropped something. It was extremely loud. Didn't think anything of it," Wallace said. "You don't think gunshots. But then I heard a rapid fire. Once hearing that, there was no mistaking it. It sounded like someone was unloading a clip."

Chaos erupted as shoppers dove for cover or tried to get out the door, Wallace said.

Don Willis, who works as a valet at the mall, said he heard gunshots, then saw a wave of people exiting the mall.

"It was wild. I heard the first shot and I thought, 'Wait. What was that?' And kind of like started turning around and walking and saw this huge line of people — wave of people coming — and I thought a bomb was about to go off, and I just took off," he said.

Putney said Officer Thomas Ferguson was working off-duty at the mall when he heard the shots and confronted the man who pointed a gun in his direction.

The officer then "fired his service weapon," Putney said. The suspect was given emergency aid, but medics pronounced him dead shortly afterward, officials said. Police identified him as Daquan Antonio Westbrook, 18.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-25

How can you be "working off-duty"?

It's not difficult. If you are off-duty as a police officer, but work a second job, such as a security guard, then you are working off-duty. You are working one job and off-duty from the other.

So an 18 year old thug with an illegal gun is shot by an off-duty policeman is an immediate reason for the gun control freaks to start screaming to take away all guns, even those legally obtained by following the 20,000 or so gun laws.

There is a little more to the story...

"CMPD says Thomas Ferguson, an off-duty officer, arrived on scene after hearing shots fired inside the mall. Witnesses tell WBTV the shooting was in retaliation to a shooting that happened last week involving the deceased suspect's brother."

You Aussies want to blame somebody, try blaming the 18 year old thug that was prepared to exact revenge in a public mall.

So an 18 year old thug with an illegal gun is shot by an off-duty policeman is an immediate reason for the gun control freaks to start screaming to take away all guns, even those legally obtained by following the 20,000 or so gun laws.

"CMPD says Thomas Ferguson, an off-duty officer, arrived on scene after hearing shots fired inside the mall. Witnesses tell WBTV the shooting was in retaliation to a shooting that happened last week involving the deceased suspect's brother."

You Aussies want to blame somebody, try blaming the 18 year old thug that was prepared to exact revenge in a public mall.

How does the saying go? "People don't kill guns... Guns kill people"?

As an Aussi, I don't feel the need, or see the reason, to blame anyone... The blame games needs to be done by the parties involved, including law enforcement, your courts and your citizens

Seemingly some Americans wish to follow Australia's gun law example.... Which is fine, we don't mind... But Theres no point in getting upset with Australians, because we don't care... It's your problem, not ours... We fixed ours

And while its legal for you all to own a mini Arsenal, I support that, because your following the law... Although I do believe that if carrying, they should, by law, be visible.... Concealed is like a snake in the grass.

Do most of my shopping online these days...

Example: Went to Best Buy Electronics Store to replace a computer battery...they wanted to charge me around $100 dollars...went home and ordered from the net...less than $50 including shipping...I had actually checkout the prices before I went to the shopping center...

The mall use to be fun...now I think their days are numbered...too many unhinged people roaming the malls these days...

Merry Christmas...too all of you who survived Christmas shopping!

As an Aussi, I don't feel the need, or see the reason, to blame anyone... The blame games needs to be done by the parties involved, including law enforcement, your courts and your citizens

Seemingly some Americans wish to follow Australia's gun law example.... Which is fine, we don't mind... But Theres no point in getting upset with Australians, because we don't care... It's your problem, not ours... We fixed ours

And while its legal for you all to own a mini Arsenal, I support that, because your following the law... Although I do believe that if carrying, they should, by law, be visible.... Concealed is like a snake in the grass.

Well said Farcanell! But it seems many non-Americans can't resist on weighing in on this issue. Even a story like this one often brings a flood of winging about US gun control. I wholeheartedly agree with you, and wish some of the other citizens of the Commonwealth would recognize THIS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Near as I can tell, the Australian's never had the right gun ownership specifically written into their constitution. As such, implementation of a gun confiscation (sorry,mandatory buy-back ) law was much easier. However, implementing similar laws in the US is a nonstarter politically, unrealistic, and, by the way, completely unconstitutional. If you not an American, be thankful that you don't have this bag of rocks to carry around,. Surely your country has their own problems to work out. Perhaps some of you should focus your problem solving skills on those issues instead.

Well said Farcanell! But it seems many non-Americans can't resist on weighing in on this issue. Even a story like this one often brings a flood of winging about US gun control. I wholeheartedly agree with you, and wish some of the other citizens of the Commonwealth would recognize THIS NOT YOUR PROBLEM.

Near as I can tell, the Australian's never had the right gun ownership specifically written into their constitution. As such, implementation of a gun confiscation (sorry,mandatory buy-back ) law was much easier. However, implementing similar laws in the US is a nonstarter politically, unrealistic, and, by the way, completely unconstitutional. If you not an American, be thankful that you don't have this bag of rocks to carry around,. Surely your country has their own problems to work out. Perhaps some of you should focus your problem solving skills on those issues instead.

100% correct... Australia does indeed have its own problems, and our government is duly elected to decide what is best for our country... That's why we elected them.... To deal with the problems.

We do have lobby groups..... And occasionally we do have referendums, when the government simply can't get it right.... But by and large, it's transparent government by the people, for the people, via what is generally fair elections, and to be the prime minister of Australia, you don't need to be a millionaire either.... Just have a demonstrable track record of good statesmanship and a commitment to the electorate.

Once upon a time, I actually had a run at changing our gun laws, because I wanted to set up a paintball business, but to no avail.... That said, ten or fifteen years later, someone did finally manage to either find a loophole, or get a change pushed thru parliament, as we now have paintball businesses in Oz

The law was that it was illegal to point a firearm at another person... And a firearm is defined as something shooting a projectile... A paintball is a projectile, ergo paint balling was considered illegal.

100% correct... Australia does indeed have its own problems, and our government is duly elected to decide what is best for our country... That's why we elected them.... To deal with the problems.

We do have lobby groups..... And occasionally we do have referendums, when the government simply can't get it right.... But by and large, it's transparent government by the people, for the people, via what is generally fair elections, and to be the prime minister of Australia, you don't need to be a millionaire either.... Just have a demonstrable track record of good statesmanship and a commitment to the electorate.

Once upon a time, I actually had a run at changing our gun laws, because I wanted to set up a paintball business, but to no avail.... That said, ten or fifteen years later, someone did finally manage to either find a loophole, or get a change pushed thru parliament, as we now have paintball businesses in Oz

The law was that it was illegal to point a firearm at another person... And a firearm is defined as something shooting a projectile... A paintball is a projectile, ergo paint balling was considered illegal.

Very few American presidents were "millionaires" either. Some became extremely wealthy after leaving office but most were solid upper-middle class strives of one sort or another.

Very few American presidents were "millionaires" either. Some became extremely wealthy after leaving office but most were solid upper-middle class strives of one sort or another.

I shall consider myself that much more educated... I suppose we simply all get caught up in the high profile presidents, like the kennedys and bushes... So can't see the Forrest for the trees

Thanks... And hope you have a happy new year