US embassy's notary service: how long to get appointment?

I have an insurance document from USA which I need to have notarized ASAP. I've been told the only place to do this us the us embassy and that the embassy requires an appointment for this service. How long does it take to get an appointment typically? I rarely go to Bangkok, but will be there all next week - alas I assume it takes weeks to get appointment with embassy?

Normally you can get an appointment within a few days of checking for one the website. Info here http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

Just checked and there are several available for next week by checking here: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acsappointment.html

Thanks so much, just opened that link but Alas it is fully booked through all of next week, as expected, :(

Good god, I made the appointment via mobile phone and thus could not print out the resulting document as required. Now moved to a computer and it can't open the appointment window. Who knows - digital technology never works. I managed to print out a photo of the screen of my appointment from another phone... hopefully that'll be acceptable. :(

I went a couple of months ago but did not have the print out as do not have access to one on a rear basis. The check in process is easier with the print out of your appointment. Recommend you arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of time as the lines at the street entrance are long for non-US citizens and even the US citizen line takes a while to negotiate. You must be on the appointment list then they check passport, etc. and move you into a smaller area for security checks. You should read the list of what is not permitted inside the embassy and they do take away cell phones which they return when leaving. I had a key fob for condo door access and they kept that as well as looked electronic. Once inside the rest goes pretty smoothly where you wait for your number than then give them the documents. I spent more time getting into the embassy than picking up my new passport and having a document notarized.

As an aside, parking is limited in the area and I parked at a hotel/shopping center just down the street. If you are driving in from out of town be sure to allow time for this and Bangkok traffic. A late morning or early afternoon appointment might be easier. I had a 9:30 time and driving into Bangkok and parking was unpleasant. Leaving town as a lot quicker around lunch time.

Hi, PM'ed you the number of a BKK lawyer who is also a notary,cheers.

I don't think a notary done by a lawyer here will be accepted for use outside of Thailand.

Technically I don't believe an American notary can notarize documents outside the state that appointed him/her, but a few years ago there was an American lawyer working in Pattaya who had an Illinois notary stamp which hadn't expired and he notarized something for me. He even advertised the service in his office window. Makes the whole notary system seem all the more dubious if the person guaranteeing your signature is bending the rules himself.

Sometimes businesses in the US will also accept a signature guarantee from a bank manager or someone with a notary appointment in foreign country. I once used a bank manager's guarantee when I was nowhere near any notary.

I went a couple of months ago but did not have the print out as do not have access to one on a rear basis. The check in process is easier with the print out of your appointment. Recommend you arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of time as the lines at the street entrance are long for non-US citizens and even the US citizen line takes a while to negotiate. You must be on the appointment list then they check passport, etc. and move you into a smaller area for security checks. You should read the list of what is not permitted inside the embassy and they do take away cell phones which they return when leaving. I had a key fob for condo door access and they kept that as well as looked electronic. Once inside the rest goes pretty smoothly where you wait for your number than then give them the documents. I spent more time getting into the embassy than picking up my new passport and having a document notarized.

As an aside, parking is limited in the area and I parked at a hotel/shopping center just down the street. If you are driving in from out of town be sure to allow time for this and Bangkok traffic. A late morning or early afternoon appointment might be easier. I had a 9:30 time and driving into Bangkok and parking was unpleasant. Leaving town as a lot quicker around lunch time.

I'm just about to help a friend book an appointment for his annual 'thingee' to say how much his pension is. Wow I see only early morning appointments in January ... last is 9am ... have things changed as last year I thought that I made an appointment mid morning for him.

If you were ever to be in an adversarial position in the USA with some claim in your favor being contested by others, and an important document in your favor had been notarized by you outside the USA by anyone other than a US Embassy or Consulate Officer, you might find yourself in BIG trouble.

• Like 1

Perhaps people that planned well ahead of time already grabbed the later appointments.

It does seem odd though that all later appointments (up to 11 am) are gone for the entire month and that includes the afternoon (1 to 2 pm) appointments.

I'm just about to help a friend book an appointment for his annual 'thingee' to say how much his pension is. Wow I see only early morning appointments in January ... last is 9am ... have things changed as last year I thought that I made an appointment mid morning for him.

I see a comment on the appointment listing that you can call the embassy and ask about other times. Worth contacting them as to why afternoon times are not regularly shown. If you do suggest you post their response.

My guess would be that these particular consular services are only offered near the crack of dawn; perhaps staff have other duties in the afternoon. A 7:30 AM appointment is really not so bad for a night owl, really easier to stay up till early morning than wake up late morning or noon.

Regarding the "adversarial" comment above: good point. However the insurance company simply waits for "proof" it's me before paying out, true, its unpleasant, and true, they get a few hundred more dollars in interest by delaying, but it would be a stretch to call it adversarial at this time.

The opening hours have not changed for many years. From: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acslocationhours.html

"The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassy’s Consular Section is open to the public Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m."

Just checked for appointments to get a passport to check what times were available. The days I checked offers appointments for 9 am and up. To report a birth they were for 1 pm. Interesting that notarial services are from 7:30 am to 9 am only.

The opening hours have no changed for many years. From: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acslocationhours.html

"The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassys Consular Section is open to the public Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m."

Just checked for appointments to get a passport to check what times were available. The days I checked offers appointments for 9 am and up. To report a birth they were for 1 pm. Interesting that notarial services are from 7:30 am to 9 am only.

Yes a big change

Now my friend needs the income letter ... he needs his wife to go in with him ... she has a doctors letter re his brain problem. HOW do I organize that as last year I didn't arrange for her to go in with him but they allowed it. I want to avoid the problem this time .... thanks

The opening hours have no changed for many years. From: http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/acslocationhours.html

"The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit of the U.S. Embassys Consular Section is open to the public Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m."

Yes a big change

Now my friend needs the income letter ... he needs his wife to go in with him ... she has a doctors letter re his brain problem. HOW do I organize that as last year I didn't arrange for her to go in with him but they allowed it. I want to avoid the problem this time .... thanks

At one time they had a notice on the appointment page saying only one person was allowed entry but I do not see that now. It seems they have dropped that rule. As long as she has an ID it should be a problem for her to go in with him.

I don't don't mind being there early but for me it is a problem because I have to travel from here in Ubon to Bangkok. Not being able to get an appointment after 9 am could be a problem for me. I have done an overnight train and flights down arriving the same day of the appointment before which would be a problem with a 9 am appointment.

Hi, PM'ed you the number of a BKK lawyer who is also a notary,cheers.

I don't think a notary done by a lawyer here will be accepted for use outside of Thailand.

Technically I don't believe an American notary can notarize documents outside the state that appointed him/her, but a few years ago there was an American lawyer working in Pattaya who had an Illinois notary stamp which hadn't expired and he notarized something for me. He even advertised the service in his office window. Makes the whole notary system seem all the more dubious if the person guaranteeing your signature is bending the rules himself.

Sometimes businesses in the US will also accept a signature guarantee from a bank manager or someone with a notary appointment in foreign country. I once used a bank manager's guarantee when I was nowhere near any notary.

http://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/judicial/authentication-of-documents/notarial-and-authentication-services-consular-officers.html

post-55970-0-96340200-1451392067_thumb.j