Reason for visit to cop shop

recom273

Your 1st class insurance should cover it if he has none. And then your insurance will try to recoup the money from the ice truck driver. So it doesn't matter if you say it was your fault or his. The only difference would be that the truck driver has to pay something or the insurance swallows it. You'd get it repaired for free either way.

So asking if you want your car repaired or not doesn't make much sense, does it?

That is not what the policeman was suggesting. He was saying to leave the ice truck out of it completely and say it was my fault and claim on the insurance as the other guy did not have any.

More or less, take the blame myself, commit fraud and say I did it on the gate or whatever reversing out of the drive.

This was his solution to me getting it repaired as opposed to paying from my pocket.

The fact the other guy had no insurance, the policeman was NOT INTERESTED at all. He knew the guy!!

Would they have be interested if it was me with no insurance? And I was at fault? ............You guys all know the answer to that.

You cannot win with them and I knew from the responses I received I was wasting my time. Had I tried to make a report or anything, it would have been their usual answer " Why you want to make a problem ? "

Edited by Scouse123

Several months ago a guy pulled straight across my g/f on her motorcycle and she had to lay it down to prevent hitting his car.

As she lay on the floor he opened the drivers door and said 'sorry' before speeding off.

The bike was badly scratched down one side, but the g/f has scars where her flesh was peeled off.

Two weeks ago a lad on a motorcycle trying to beat the lights at a junction, turned right and smashed straight into a small kid on the pedestrian crossing.

He stopped momentarily, but as other pedestrians tended to the young lad he tried to do a runner.

Instinctively, probably with what happened to my g/f still in my mind, I grabbed him by the back of his neck and dragged him off his bike and held him until the Police arrived.

At least the OP behaved like a responsible person and didn't try to do a runner like many Thais seem to do.

Scoouse123,

Just curious why was he at fault as you were reversing out of your drive onto the main road. Where I come from that means you have to stop and let others pass. That is the way i have been taught anyway.

I must admit many years ago in the UK I was reversing out of a parking bay in a large hospital.

The aisle was clear as I started to reverse, then another car pulled into the aisle a few metres away. I stopped to see if he'd give me right of way but he was obviously in a hurry and went around the back of me, his rear panel catching my tow bar.

I was insistent he was at fault as I was static, but he wouldn't admit fault, so it went to insurers.

Within 24 hours my Insurer contacted me to advise I was automatically at fault because I was reversing from a parking bay and therefore my view would have been restricted (it wasn't). I was surprised and shocked to be found at fault automatically.

Scoouse123,

Just curious why was he at fault as you were reversing out of your drive onto the main road. Where I come from that means you have to stop and let others pass. That is the way i have been taught anyway.

I must admit many years ago in the UK I was reversing out of a parking bay in a large hospital.

The aisle was clear as I started to reverse, then another car pulled into the aisle a few metres away. I stopped to see if he'd give me right of way but he was obviously in a hurry and went around the back of me, his rear panel catching my tow bar.

I was insistent he was at fault as I was static, but he wouldn't admit fault, so it went to insurers.

Within 24 hours my Insurer contacted me to advise I was automatically at fault because I was reversing from a parking bay and therefore my view would have been restricted (it wasn't). I was surprised and shocked to be found at fault automatically.

Its one of the things we learn during our driving course, when your doing special manoeuvres (reversing is one of those) you must yield to all other traffic. If you don't your automatically at fault, seems its the same in the UK.

So they were right for faulting you.. its just one of the rules, I am sure you can find it in the UK traffic code.

For me it was in the Netherlands, but I am sure its universal.

Scoouse123,

Its one of the things we learn during our driving course, when your doing special manoeuvres (reversing is one of those) you must yield to all other traffic. If you don't your automatically at fault, seems its the same in the UK.

So they were right for faulting you.. its just one of the rules, I am sure you can find it in the UK traffic code.

For me it was in the Netherlands, but I am sure its universal.

In the UK I believe reversing onto a 'main' road is illegal. Smaller roads are ok though.

That is not what the policeman was suggesting. He was saying to leave the ice truck out of it completely and say it was my fault and claim on the insurance as the other guy did not have any.

More or less, take the blame myself, commit fraud and say I did it on the gate or whatever reversing out of the drive.

This was his solution to me getting it repaired as opposed to paying from my pocket.

The fact the other guy had no insurance, the policeman was NOT INTERESTED at all. He knew the guy!!

Would they have be interested if it was me with no insurance? And I was at fault? ............You guys all know the answer to that.

You cannot win with them and I knew from the responses I received I was wasting my time. Had I tried to make a report or anything, it would have been their usual answer " Why you want to make a problem ? "

You seem to miss the point that whoever gets the blame your insurance will cough up the money and you get it repaired.

What's the point of insurance if you have to pay yourself for an accident?

Whatever you say you will not have to pay from your pocket. You can only lose by saying it was your fault as you'd defraud the insurance company who could otherwise recover the costs from the truck driver.

Actually by saying it was yourself you will have to pay the deductible from your own pocket. Complete opposite of what you suggested.

Makes no difference whether she had tax or not, it's a separate issue. Same with a license. Not having these things doesn't take away your responsibility. And from what I've read here she did have them. Not displaying your tax doesn't mean the vehicle is not taxed, but like a said, that is a separate issue anyway.

IMO you under paid her. You caused an accident and actual injury to another person. An indicator glass and bulb is easily 2-300B, a new mudguard is around a thousand baht. Not to mention her now scuffed bar ends, brake levers, foot pegs and likely fairings, even though they probably looked ok to you, they would have been scratched somewhere.

If she were to replace all of these, it would have cost at least the 2000B you should have paid her not to mention the injuries you caused her. Then you come on here and almost boast about how clever you were.

I wonder if it had been the other way around and she hit you, would you be happy about getting 500B for your now scratched up bike and injured foot?

Thanks for your point of view, I can assure you I didn't come to boast, rather as the title say "why a visit to the cop shop"

I gave the woman two options, take it to my buddies place and we can fix it now or take it to Honda in the morning and I will sort out the bill.

Instead of behaving in a civilized manner, she screamed up an audience and persuaded the police officer to make a bigger deal than it could have been.

She was the person that decided the only damage to her bike was the indicator.

When he offered her the deal of sorting it out on the pavement, she jumped at 2000B because that's the number she thought she could extract from me, it wasn't in relation to the damage.

The whole incident was driven by her greed, she said that she didn't have private medical cover, and this is when I asked the policeman what exactly the PRB was for, I thought I had to supply her with my details so she could visit casualty .. Then I asked where her tax disc and PRB were, that's when the officer quickly TOLD her to take the 500B.

Interesting that you don't see that having a roadworthy vehicle ( it was in excess of 5 years old ) or a license relevant to the situation .. Others here may disagree with you and from what I can gather the policeman obviously considered it to be relevant.

The first incident this week was by a taxi driver who managed to drive into me while I was sitting static in a petrol station, he managed to gouge a deep scratch along my polished GIVI pannier - 17,000B - he denied even doing that, refused to provide any ID or accept any responsibility - arguing with the pump attendance who saw him do it. The police weren't interested in doing anything to help. So yeah, i do know.

Why you care if you have insurance just take pictures get the thai attended to talk to your insurance and job done you are in thailand 3 rd world country .

If you live there you just have to put up with the shit that comes with living there .

As for the bike thing I would have give her the 2,000 bht and walk what is $80 dollars not much .

All Thais care about is money and free money is the best money to them , you should have give her the money.

DELETED so great now any accident we should just fork out whatever..........no wonder nothing changes here....ah its only $80 TODAY tomorrow $100-$150-$200 etc

No you not get it you live in a place that all people care about is money money ok yes $80 is f??k all do some thing like that in your only country and see what happens.

$80 - $100 - $ 150 - $200 is still f??k all

Pay not complain and get on with life if you want to live in thailand.

Guys,

Without going into minute detail, the accident was the ice trucks fault in my and his opinion. My main reason for believing this is that I was pulling out of my drive and doing about 2 mph. He had come down the road at very high speed, seen me, but still thought he could manoeuvre around me, and as I said, it was a very quiet road until it was recently re-surfaced.

He had seen me clearly, which he admitted, and I agree with posters that I was blind, hence the speed of 2 mph,.He said himself he was at fault and made no attempt at denying this.

Anyway, that's how it ended. There are many things in Thailand driving wise that they interpret differently to the West.

At the end of our main road into the town, which is a fair sized two lane road leading to the town is a major very wide road ( double the size of our road leading into it ) which goes directly through the town centre. It is very obvious to anybody Western who has the priority right of way!!

However, they have recently re-surfaced and repainted the major road with white double stop lines and yellow lines. This now gives us priority access from the smaller road into the major road.

I always still give way as I have no wish to test this theory with a 14 wheeled sugar truck!

You seem to miss the point that whoever gets the blame your insurance will cough up the money and you get it repaired.

They way the Insurance company works is you will pay, your deductible, loss of your Safe Driver Bonus, and an increase in premiums. Agreed that if a big ticket repair then Ok to have, but a 20 or 30k claim will cost you in the long run.

They way the Insurance company works is you will pay, your deductible, loss of your Safe Driver Bonus, and an increase in premiums. Agreed that if a big ticket repair then Ok to have, but a 20 or 30k claim will cost you in the long run.

Which is exactly my point. By following the Police officers suggestion you actually have to pay a lot and the guy at fault can laugh his ass off;

Plus you commit a crime and fscked over a company that you work with.

No sane and halfway intelligent person would agree to do this.

Several months ago a guy pulled straight across my g/f on her motorcycle and she had to lay it down to prevent hitting his car.

As she lay on the floor he opened the drivers door and said 'sorry' before speeding off.

The bike was badly scratched down one side, but the g/f has scars where her flesh was peeled off.

Two weeks ago a lad on a motorcycle trying to beat the lights at a junction, turned right and smashed straight into a small kid on the pedestrian crossing.

He stopped momentarily, but as other pedestrians tended to the young lad he tried to do a runner.

Instinctively, probably with what happened to my g/f still in my mind, I grabbed him by the back of his neck and dragged him off his bike and held him until the Police arrived.

At least the OP behaved like a responsible person and didn't try to do a runner like many Thais seem to do.

There was an incident I still feel ashamed about a few months ago.

I was driving down a country road and saw a sudden cloud of dust a few hundred metres down the road. As I approached, I could see a motorbike had come off the road, hit a tree, and was a shattered wreck. The rider, a young girl, I think, had been flung down the side of the road a further 5 metres or so. She didn't have a helmet and wasn't moving. Her head was at an impossible angle to her body.

I debated whether I should stop to try and help. To my shame, what was going through my head was that I didn't speak good Thai, was by myself and might get somehow blamed for the accident. I thought the rider probably had a broken neck. I wasn't sure what had caused the accident, but there was no other immediate traffic and it looked like a solo mistake.

I had slowed down, but by this time some other traffic had come the other way and pulled up to help. I keep going. Now, in Australia, I would have stopped for sure. I feel pretty bad just recalling this.

There was an incident I still feel ashamed about a few months ago.

I was driving down a country road and saw a sudden cloud of dust a few hundred metres down the road. As I approached, I could see a motorbike had come off the road, hit a tree, and was a shattered wreck. The rider, a young girl, I think, had been flung down the side of the road a further 5 metres or so. She didn't have a helmet and wasn't moving. Her head was at an impossible angle to her body.

I debated whether I should stop to try and help. To my shame, what was going through my head was that I didn't speak good Thai, was by myself and might get somehow blamed for the accident. I thought the rider probably had a broken neck. I wasn't sure what had caused the accident, but there was no other immediate traffic and it looked like a solo mistake.

I had slowed down, but by this time some other traffic had come the other way and pulled up to help. I keep going. Now, in Australia, I would have stopped for sure. I feel pretty bad just recalling this.

For lost of reasons you probably did the right thing, but there's just that one nagging thought that says you acted inappropriately.

Unless you are a doctor, how could you have helped?

Which is exactly my point. By following the Police officers suggestion you actually have to pay a lot and the guy at fault can laugh his ass off;

Same thing happened me a few years ago, police arrived on the scene and and asked me to say it was my fault because the old man who hit me has no insurance and no money

If I take the blame we can both get our bikes fixed but if I don't.... We can't because he hasn't money to pay for my bike because it's expensive....

Same thing happened me a few years ago, police arrived on the scene and and asked me to say it was my fault because the old man who hit me has no insurance and no money

If I take the blame we can both get our bikes fixed but if I don't.... We can't because he hasn't money to pay for my bike because it's expensive....

What did you do ?

What did you do ?

I wanted to get to hospital asap to get an x-ray , but they said we have to go to the police station first.... Unless I tell the insurance guys it was my fault....

The old man couldn't afford to fix my bike or medical bills anyway so I had to swallow my pride and let my insurance take care of both me and him...

I wanted pain killers and a beer asap! My ankle was after getting a 215kilo bike dropped on it and after an hour we were still arguing about it at the scene and I could barely stand up

I wanted pain killers and a beer asap! My ankle was after getting a 215kilo bike dropped on it and after an hour we were still arguing about it at the scene and I could barely stand up

When in pain, lie down on the ground close your eyes, don't respond to anyone.

Gets you to hospital in a very short time. Works in almost every country.

Arguing gets you nowhere in Thailand.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Unless you are a doctor, how could you have helped?

I guess you would never know unless you stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk