Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

A bit confused on this.  What if a person gets the TM30 for a specific residence, say a hotel, then instead goes and spends  a week or two visiting a friend. Is the owner of the visit place or the farang required to register a TM30 or a temporary stay? 

I'm a bit unsure about your confusion.  You have a TM30 filed for you at your current address and you've updated as required (this being evidenced by what you posted before).  Regardless of where you stay within Thailand, you obviously have nothing to do yourself (at least under current enforcement at CM Immigration).  As for your friend, yes, technically the friend is required to file a TM30 for you but, as was mentioned by others, I'm not sure why he would bother given Immigration is hardly going to know you're staying there for a week.   Theoretically your friend could be caught and fined if Immigration police came around to investigate but, given the odds of that happening (probably near zero), your friend probably shouldn't worry about it.  

Edited by CMBob

14 hours ago, Mapguy said:

Lighten up, people!!  

OK, this is an informal forum, but the back and forth silliness that permeates the 128 --- yep! --- 128 pages to date is not the least bit useful to anyone, especially newcomers, looking for up-to-date information on what is required and how to go about providing it to satisfy Immigration requirements. And that is what this thread hopefully should be. 

Agree!  Forum threads get hijacked with nonsense less on ThaiForum than on many other forum sites, and with a lot less nasty flaming, but it’s still annoying when you’re trying to get useful information and instead you have to wade through silly, unuseful nonsense.  It’s just human nature I guess, and here I am adding to it with this post ?

Edited by Kohsamida

What is up with Promenada. Two days I’ve gone for renewal (arriving an hour early and another time 2 hours early) of my Visa and came away with a sorry out of que spots.   I’ve done this 3 times in the past and it was no big deal to be seen on the same day.  There were some people that arrived at 3 and didn’t get in.   I am having the wife’s cousin go sit in line at midnight in the hopes that it is early enough.  It’s pretty disgusting the manner in which immigration renewals are being handled out of this office.  

7 minutes ago, sletraveler said:

What is up with Promenada. Two days I’ve gone for renewal (arriving an hour early and another time 2 hours early) of my Visa and came away with a sorry out of que spots.   I’ve done this 3 times in the past and it was no big deal to be seen on the same day.  There were some people that arrived at 3 and didn’t get in.   I am having the wife’s cousin go sit in line at midnight in the hopes that it is early enough.  It’s pretty disgusting the manner in which immigration renewals are being handled out of this office.  

What time of day did you go?  I heard that you must go as close to opening time (8:30am) as possible because only a few appointments are accepted per day, and only between 8:30 - 11:30 am.

12 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

What time of day did you go?  I heard that you must go as close to opening time (8:30am) as possible because only a few appointments are accepted per day, and only between 8:30 - 11:30 am.

Go back and read my post #1874 from last week. Use facts when posting advice, please.  Going "close to opening time" won't get you the opportunity to receive a que number at this time.  As to "only a few appointments are accepted" that is incorrect as well.

15 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Those hours could work for applying for a Certificate of Residence (or maybe making a 90-day report, TM.30 update/report, or securing a reentry permit), but not for applying for most non-tourist visa extensions.

3 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Go back and read my post #1874 from last week. Use facts when posting advice, please.  Going "close to opening time" won't get you the opportunity to receive a que number at this time.  As to "only a few appointments are accepted" that is incorrect as well.

No need to be testy!  I'm trying to piece all of this together as well.  People who seem to know A LOT about how all of this work gave me the information I relayed in my reply to your post (I.e.: NancyL, Ubon Joe), so I am using trusted sources.  Obviously, by your own words , "...came away with a sorry out of que spots..." they do, in fact limit the number of appointments per day

I'm just trying to get factual information as I guess you are.  Why not add something constructive in your posts instead of just being critical? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

No need to be testy!  I'm trying to piece all of this together as well.  People who seem to know A LOT about how all of this work gave me the information I relayed in my reply to your post (I.e.: NancyL, Ubon Joe), so I am using trusted sources.  Obviously, by your own words , "...came away with a sorry out of que spots..." they do, in fact limit the number of appointments per day

I'm just trying to get factual information as I guess you are.  Why not add something constructive in your posts instead of just being critical? 

You will find that some people get a bit testy

If you look back at a few posts this will give you a clear idea

But in saying that Immigration can be busy 1 day quiet the next for Visa Extension

Sometimes it is recommended for Visa Extension to go up to 2 hours Or more before the time they give out the Numbers sometimes it can be earlier nobody knows

II will be different from July when Immigration expect to go back to the new building at the Airport location

10 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

But in saying that Immigration can be busy 1 day quiet the next for Visa Extension

Sometimes it is recommended for Visa Extension to go up to 2 hours Or more before the time they give out the Numbers sometimes it can be earlier nobody knows

II will be different from July when Immigration expect to go back to the new building at the Airport location

My interest is not in getting an extension but in getting a Change of Visa (from Tourist to Non-"O".

53 minutes ago, Lizard2010 said:

My point was when providing advice, provide such advice based on personal knowledge or experience. Which I did and I believe that it is more constructive than offering info based on “I heard”. You made the statement “only a few appointments” which is incorrect. Re-read my post where I wrote:

“7am. There’s a sign posted by IMM that seems read that they’ll process only 60 retirement AND student renewals total per day- 25 in the morning & 35 in the afternoon. There’s now 80+ people in the retirement/ student visa que.”

So here you see it’s more than a few slots, but they are limited; and on my day those slots were gone by 7 since the number of people in line exceeded the number of slots what IM posted would be serviced. Which also provides my position that arriving as close as possible to 8:30 opening time is too late (at this time). 

I don’t know why the swarm of applicants at this time of year, but it was as such on the day that I arrived at 2am, and was so the week before when I tried the first time in early morning after IM opened, and others also are reporting extremely long ques.

This is my 5th year in obtaining my extension of stay based on retirement, and I have not seen so many people or had to get in line so early as I had to this year. 

So I’m not being testy. Let those in need of retirement or student visa extensions know the current status of IM’s services based on what you actually experienced or witnessed. Then they may decide what their strategy will be. 

No hard feelings here. 

Edited by jeffandgop
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

My point was when providing advice, provide such advice based on personal knowledge or experience. Which I did and it is more constructive than offering info based on “I heard”. You made the statement “only a few appointments” which is incorrect. Re-read my post where I wrote:

“7am. There’s a sign posted by IMM that seems read that they’ll process only 60 retirement AND student renewals total per day- 25 in the morning & 35 in the afternoon. There’s now 80+ people in the retirement/ student visa que.”

So here you see it’s more than a few slots, but they are limited; and on my day those slots were gone by 7 since the number of people in line exceeded the number of slots what IM posted would be serviced. Which also provides my position that arriving as close as possible to 8:30 opening time is too late (at this time). 

I don’t know why the swarm of applicants at this time of year, but it was as such on the day that I arrived at 2am, and was so the week before when I tried the first time in early morning after IM opened, and others also are reporting extremely long ques.

This is my 5th year in obtains my extension of stay based on retirement and have not seen so many people or had to get in line so early as I had to this year. 

So I’m not being testy. I’m endeavoring to provide my actual experience and not second or third hand info. Let those in need of retirement or student visa extensions know the current status of IM’s services based on what you actually experienced or witnessed. Then they may decide what their strategy will be. 

No hard feelings here. 

Sorry, I normally would not relay "hear-say" information but the people who provided this information to me are VERY well respected on here for being knowledgeable about Immigration matters (NancyL and UbonJoe).  Nonetheless, I appreciate what you're saying because this thread is littered with a lot of mis-information or conflicting details which is incredibly frustrating to me as well.

Maybe you can advise me;  I am actually applying for a "Change of Visa" from Tourist to Non-O, not an extension.  Do you think I am going to encounter the same issues as you described with the need to make repeated trips or be standing in line in the night before, just to get an "appointment".

Honestly, I've dealt with a lot of bureaucracy before but never heard of anything as convoluted or frustrating as this situation at Promenada.  I have read posts about doing the Visa Change down in Jomtien (Pattaya) and it sounds VERY straightforward and easy (2 days, start to finish) so what I am hearing about doing it in Chiang Mai is simply shocking! 

Edited by Kohsamida

31 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Sorry, I normally would not relay "hear-say" information but the people who provided this information to me are VERY well respected on here for being knowledgeable about Immigration matters (NancyL and UbonJoe).  Nonetheless, I appreciate what you're saying because this thread is littered with a lot of mis-information or conflicting details which is incredibly frustrating to me as well.

Maybe you can advise me;  I am actually applying for a "Change of Visa" from Tourist to Non-O, not an extension.  Do you think I am going to encounter the same issues as you described with the need to make repeated trips or be standing in line in the night before, just to get an "appointment".

Honestly, I've dealt with a lot of bureaucracy before but never heard of anything as convoluted or frustrating as this situation at Promenada.  I have read posts about doing the Visa Change down in Jomtien (Pattaya) and it sounds VERY straightforward and easy (2 days, start to finish) so what I am hearing about doing it in Chiang Mai is simply shocking! 

Over time I too have appreciated NancyL and Ubonjoe’s advice and postings. They’ve helped me indeed and I continue to follow their postings. 

As to your requirement I do not think you would be queuing up in the same lengthy line as retirement/student extensions. 

If at all possible go down to Promenada and find which que and office does the service you need. You may find you can get what u need as a walk-in provided all the necessary paperwork is in order. Good luck!

Edited by jeffandgop

16 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Over time I too have appreciated NancyL and Ubonjoe’s advice and postings. They’ve helped me indeed and I continue to follow their postings. 

As to your requirement I do not think you would be queuing up in the same lengthy line as retirement/student extensions. 

If at all possible go down to Promenada and find which que and office does the service you need. You may find you can get what u need as a walk-in provided all the necessary paperwork is in order. Good luck!

Thanks, appreciate your input ?

9 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Thanks, appreciate your input ?

Kohsamida, haven't you already obtained your appointment for your "change of visa"?  If so, the next time you will have to queue is when you go to apply for a one year extension of stay due to retirement and you'll be throw in with the masses competing in the new game of pitting the retirees against the students for a limited number of queue slots.

Geez, it actually had gotten better for a time until some bright bulb came up with this new twist.  Who would have thought to have the same Imm. officer process both student visa and retirement visa extension applications?  

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

Kohsamida, haven't you already obtained your appointment for your "change of visa"?  If so, the next time you will have to queue is when you go to apply for a one year extension of stay due to retirement and you'll be throw in with the masses competing in the new game of pitting the retirees against the students for a limited number of queue slots.

Geez, it actually had gotten better for a time until some bright bulb came up with this new twist.  Who would have thought to have the same Imm. officer process both student visa and retirement visa extension applications?  

No, I have not gone to apply for appointment yet.  Up until today I was pretty confused about the details.  I still am actually.  Please tell me if you think I finally understand this correctly:

1) Day #1:  I will get a copy of the TM30 by presenting the receipt given to me by my landlord (proof that he filed it) on Day 1.  I will be given an actual copy of the TM30.  I do this at Promenada on 2nd Fl. (I'm not sure if the actual TM30 is necessary or if the receipt that proves my landlord filed it is sufficient, but I need the TM30 anyway because I need a Certificate of Residency since I will also be applying for a Thai Drivers License.).

1) Day #2:  I return to 2nd floor office at Promenada by 8:30am to queue in line for an "appointment" to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-O.  At this time, if I am granted an appointment date, I will provide a completed TM86, a copy of the TM30, show my passport, and provide photocopies of all passport pages.  Bank letters are NOT required at this time.  I leave Promenada with a appointment date

3) On date of Appointment, I provide two banks letters (one a guarantor to verify I have an account with 800,000 Baht, and another letter that proves that the funds came from outside of Thailand.

At conclusion of appointment, my application will either be approved or denied.  If approved, I will leave Promenada with the Non-O Visa attached to my passport

Do I have this right?  Am I missing anything?

9 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

No, I have not gone to apply for appointment yet.  Up until today I was pretty confused about the details.  I still am actually.  Please tell me if you think I finally understand this correctly:

1) Day #1:  I will get a copy of the TM30 by presenting the receipt given to me by my landlord (proof that he filed it) on Day 1.  I will be given an actual copy of the TM30.  I do this at Promenada on 2nd Fl. (I'm not sure if the actual TM30 is necessary or if the receipt that proves my landlord filed it is sufficient, but I need the TM30 anyway because I need a Certificate of Residency since I will also be applying for a Thai Drivers License.).

1) Day #2:  I return to 2nd floor office at Promenada by 8:30am to queue in line for an "appointment" to convert a Tourist Visa to a Non-O.  At this time, if I am granted an appointment date, I will provide a completed TM86, a copy of the TM30, show my passport, and provide photocopies of all passport pages.  Bank letters are NOT required at this time.  I leave Promenada with a appointment date

3) On date of Appointment, I provide two banks letters (one a guarantor to verify I have an account with 800,000 Baht, and another letter that proves that the funds came from outside of Thailand.

At conclusion of appointment, my application will either be approved or denied.  If approved, I will leave Promenada with the Non-O Visa attached to my passport

I'm not always right, but suspect you're wrong about the conversion. I first did exactly that 13 years ago and believe the same rules apply. You couldn't then convert tourist to non-O in Thailand, you had to go across the border. I'm certain Penang (Butterworth) still does this, but the easiest is Vientiane. I'm just not sure now that Vientiane can do this still Now IF you've had a non-O previously, I'm pretty sure you can go to Mae Sot instead, a lot closer. I made a mistake on my retirement visa in 2008 and had to go through the procedure again, but was directed to just to go Mae Sot, cross over to Burma, and return with the non-O. As sure of all this as I thought I was, there are a lot of others here who might have a clearer understanding as of now, so let them speak up. It does appear that things have changed. Indeed, Siam-attorney dot com says you can convert in Bangkok, , and this prior Thaivisa thread on this subject says you can do it in Thailand, but only in Bangkok or Pattaya, so, somebody who's more up on this speak up....  

2 minutes ago, cusanus said:

I'm not always right, but suspect you're wrong about the conversion. I first did exactly that 13 years ago and believe the same rules apply. You couldn't then convert tourist to non-O in Thailand, you had to go across the border. I'm certain Penang (Butterworth) still does this, but the easiest is Vientiane. I'm just not sure now that Vientiane can do this still Now IF you've had a non-O previously, I'm pretty sure you can go to Mae Sot instead, a lot closer. I made a mistake on my retirement visa in 2008 and had to go through the procedure again, but was directed to just to go Mae Sot, cross over to Burma, and return with the non-O. As sure of all this as I thought I was, there are a lot of others here who might have a clearer understanding as of now, so let them speak up. It does appear that things have changed. Indeed, Siam-attorney dot com says you can convert in Bangkok, , and this prior Thaivisa thread on this subject says you can do it in Thailand, but only in Bangkok or Pattaya, so, somebody who's more up on this speak up....  

Well, there is absolutely no question that you can convert from Tourist Visa to Non-O from within Thailand, and specifically in Chaing Mai.  If you glanced at any of the other posts of this thread, that should have been obvious.  Thanks for the reply though.

24 minutes ago, cusanus said:

You can now convert a tourist exempt entry or tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa within Thailand.  The process has changed since you did it.

10 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Kohsamida, the receipt the landlord gave you is sufficient proof that you have a TM30 on file.  You do not need to need an "actual copy of your TM30".  So you don't need to do the activities you outline in "Day #1"

Instead, you should be hightailing it to the program of Day #2 and get that appointment scheduled.  As I've warned in previous posts, the number of appointment slots is limited and you have to have an appointment with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay.  I think you may find that when you request an appointment all the slots are booked and there will be nothing available until after your 21 days.  

10 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Kohsamida, the receipt the landlord gave you is sufficient proof that you have a TM30 on file.  You do not need to need an "actual copy of your TM30".  So you don't need to do the activities you outline in "Day #1"

Instead, you should be hightailing it to the program of Day #2 and get that appointment scheduled.  As I've warned in previous posts, the number of appointment slots is limited and you have to have an appointment with at least 21 days remaining on your permission to stay.  I think you may find that when you request an appointment all the slots are booked and there will be nothing available until after your 21 days.  

I agree it is best to be expedient but I am also trying to get a Drivers License so I really do need the TM30 (to get a residency certificate). 

My METV (6 month multi-entry tourist visa) Visa expires July 5 so I am figuring that my deadline to "apply for appointment to convert Visa" should be no later than June 15 (21 days).  Taking into account possible delays in getting appointment, I figured I should start "Queue for appointment" no later than June 1.  Would you agree with this?

Worst Case Scenario:  If I screwed up and could not get an appointment before 21 days of expiration of my METV, couldn't I apply for a 30-day extension to my METV, or can a request to convert visa only be done by expiration of the METV itself (not the extension)?  

Edited by Kohsamida

7 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

I agree it is best to be expedient but I am also trying to get a Drivers License so I really do need the TM30 (to get a residency certificate). 

My METV (6 month multi-entry tourist visa) Visa expires July 5 so I am figuring that my deadline to "apply for appointment to convert Visa" should be no later than June 15 (21 days).  Taking into account possible delays in getting appointment, I figured I should start "Queue for appointment" no later than June 1.  Would you agree with this?

Worst Case Scenario:  If I screwed up and could not get an appointment before 21 days of expiration of my METV, couldn't I apply for a 30-day extension to my METV, or can a request to convert visa only be done by expiration of the METV itself (not the extension)?  

Again, the receipt from your landlord is sufficient evidence that a TM30 has been filed on your behalf.  You do not need anything further to apply for a residency certificate.  

And, again, the time to apply for your appointment is NOW.  Do not wait until June 1.  I have heard of cases where appointments are booked 6 or 7 weeks in advance, so planning to get a 30 day extension doesn't help.  

11 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Again, the receipt from your landlord is sufficient evidence that a TM30 has been filed on your behalf.  You do not need anything further to apply for a residency certificate.  

And, again, the time to apply for your appointment is NOW.  Do not wait until June 1.  I have heard of cases where appointments are booked 6 or 7 weeks in advance, so planning to get a 30 day extension doesn't help.  

So, you are absolutely sure I need no documentation other than the notification of TM30 being filed and my passport to "apply for appointment"; no TM86, no photos, nothing else, just show up at 8:30am?

Edited by Kohsamida

13 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Really?  So for the certificate of residency, I just have to go to the office next to the Copy Shop at Promenada with receipt, passport, passport photos, and lease agreement, photocopies of passport...correct?

39 minutes ago, NancyL said:

You can now convert a tourist exempt entry or tourist visa to a non-immigrant O visa within Thailand.  The process has changed since you did it.

Great. But can you do it in CM? The prior thread says only Bangkok or Pattaya and Siam Legal seems to imply the same. 

1 hour ago, Kohsamida said:

Well, there is absolutely no question that you can convert from Tourist Visa to Non-O from within Thailand, and specifically in Chaing Mai.  If you glanced at any of the other posts of this thread, that should have been obvious.  Thanks for the reply though

So it seems to be the case now, but it wasn't always. The Immigration link wasn't clear on CM, so good to double check, thanks for the curt reply, you obviously know exactly what you're doing. Anyway, I'm concerned about the status of wait time for retirement extension and want to be monitoring that situation, so someone help me out. The last 3 years I've gone in about 6:30AM and been out by near 10:00, but recent posts indicate you're likely to strike out even if coming as early as 3:00AM. This isn't exactly my concern, but I'll be helping a disabled, very fragile person get this done in a couple of weeks. She uses a walker and I can't see her waiting all night. How long can we expect the traffic jam to last?  I suppose I could sit on a stool for her and arrange transportation for her later. Thanks in advance for any recent reports or suggestions. 

Edited by cusanus
clarification

2 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Great. But can you do it in CM? 

Yes.

[As a side note, 8-10 years ago when I was in Hua Hin on a Tourist Visa, I went to Hua Hin Immigration to switch to a Non-O Visa and ultimately the annual extension based on retirement.  HH Immigration cancelled my Tourist Visa, issued a Non-O Visa that expired 90 days later, and issued an annual extension based on retirement that started when the Non-O expired...and all this was done in about 35 minutes.  Unfortunately, it ain't quite the same up here in CM.]

11 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Great. But can you do it in CM? The prior thread says only Bangkok or Pattaya and Siam Legal seems to imply the same. 

Siam Legal is well known for having misleading or old info on their website.  And yes, you've been able to do visa conversions in CM for quite some time.

12 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

Really?  So for the certificate of residency, I just have to go to the office next to the Copy Shop at Promenada with receipt, passport, passport photos, and lease agreement, photocopies of passport...correct?

Yes.  Whether they'll issue a Cert. of Residency since you're on a visa and not an extension of stay is another matter.  I've heard reports that they'll do a Cert. of Residency only if you're on "something" that has been granted by the CM Immigration office and not somewhere else.  Perhaps having the TM30 on file in CM is sufficient.  You won't know until you try.

But one thing is certain -- none of us have an actual copy of the TM 30 application that was filed on our behalf in our passports.  What we have is a receipt, similar to the one you have or like the other one shown in another thread when your landlord files a paper application, not an online application.

It's just like the 90 day reports.  We put a receipt in our passports (well, technically it's a notice of when to file next) not an actual copy of the 90 day report application.

57 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Agree with everything Nancy said. While not trying to derail this useful discussion about visa conversion, you may want to consider the following in making plans for late June and through July -- CM Immigration has yet to announce their move dates to their new Airport Provincial Immigration building, however, as a precedent three years ago they shut down for nearly a whole week (around the beginning of July) when they made their last move to Promenada. Now that their new building is nearing completion, would anticipate some sort of similar temp shut down when many services move back. Of course, this is all speculation until we all hear of some sort of official announcement, but consider this possibility as a factor when making short term plans, especially within the next 6 weeks or so. It could cost additional lead time.

Edited by CMsojourner