Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

I’ve found what works for me best, but your own needs and preferences certainly may vary.  

you continue to try to force your ideas of how things should be done on others.  you may deny this but some of us have enough intelligence to know what your words mean.  

in contract this man gave reasons why he uses an agent, but specifically adds that "your own needs and preferences may vary".  

you have stated more times than i care to count what your position is on this subject.  maybe you can just copy and paste all your previous posts .  that would save you time and energy....... but i do respect that your own needs and preferences may vary from mine.

AND.....he is Not in Bangkok.   He is Not in another province than CM.    And he is not renewing a drivers license .      

So why are you making reference to those things ??   

• Like 2

On 5/26/2018 at 10:25 AM, NigelKennedy said:

Best Friend Visa

Ok used to use G4T for yearly visa and they recently phoned me saying they are best Friend Visa and charge 9,200 to renew plus multiple exit and will collect and deliver to house. Anybody used them ?

Went to Tian at promenada and they want 12,000 and takes a couple of days as have to queue,just waited two hours ast year and all finished. Anybody know what is going on.

It seems to me that BFV has no priority contact in the Immigration.

Using the agent some months ago it take about 2,5 hours.

I arrived at their office at Pruksa Village at 12:30. I signed the papers and they take a picture.

Went to Promenada for some shopping. Got a call from the agent. Met her in the Immigration. But have to line up for three different counters: checking paper, taking picture, handing out the passport.

Finished at about 15:00.

G4T was better organized: going just to 1 person in the Immigration, taking the picture and handing out the passport at the time.

The delivery service  worked fine for my 90day-report. But for the extension I doubt you can avoid to be seen by an Immigration official.

Probably will take BFV next year again

2 hours ago, NancyL said:

It's fairly common for newcomers to use an agent because they don't have the time, inclination or confidence to apply on their own.  However, it isn't common for people who have been here 14 years to continue to use agents for annual extensions, at least in other provinces.  If you were still living in Bangkok, you wouldn't be using an agent for something that is as easy as renewing your Thai drivers license.  Or should be.  

Ask yourself why? And if you're helping to perpetuate the problem by continuing to employ an agent year after year in Chiang Mai?

Come on, show of hands!  How many of us use an agent to help obtain a Thai drivers license, at least beyond our first DL?  Then why are you continuing to use a visa agent?

You’ve completely lost me, NancyL...mixing apples and oranges.  Why the reference to renewing driver’s licenses?  Sorry, but your comments make no sense.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fore Man said:

I’d like to offer a humble opinion on the practice of using an agent (or not) to transact an annual visa extension versus DIY. I recall all too well those horrid conditions at the old immigration office, arriving before dawn to claim a place in the queue only to then wait in cramped conditions for my number to be called. Moving the procedure to Promenada eased the congestion issue but still meant a long wait in line and the need to get there unreasonably early. Then along came agent services in the form of G4T et.al. which made it all ridiculously easy for what seemed an acceptable price. They removed the anguish of that once-per-year visit and made it almost a pleasant experience. 

My my point is that I see three general groupings of expats who undergo their extensions:  first, those that doggedly insist on doing it themselves, no matter the cost in time, physical discomfort and energy, frittering away hours on end; a second grouping in those that have financial hardships and simply can not afford to pay what amounts to THB 420 to pay the THB 5,000 agent fee when amortized over 12 months; and a third group who either can afford the fee and/or who have decided to make it a completely painless experience.  Some like myself were also employed and could not waste an entire business day to the Immigration bureaucracy.  Using an agent made good sense.  Tian Visa, for example, offers a special rate of THB 5,000 that also includes filing of four 90-day TM-30 reports at no additional fee. Dealing with such agents is truly a blessing and extending my visa no longer causes angst as my due date approaches. I’m also of an age and with enough encroaching physical issues that well mitigates hiring an agent.

If every expat opted opted to use an agent the system would likely be quickly jammed, or these agents would undoubtedly be forced to increase their pricing to attract only the upper end of clients who would be willing to pay even higher fees with no regard for the value of services so rendered.  Right now I judge that their pricing is acceptable for what I receive in return. Life remains uncomplicated and I can enjoy other pursuits that are more productive or meaningful.

I am not trolling here and definitely not attempting to poll TV readers in Chiang Mai ...simply offering a reasoned opinion after undergoing my own 14 annual extensions, the first of which was done in Bangkok and which set me back THB 10,000 plus the required Immigration fees.  In comparison, shelling out THB 5,000 thirteen years later seems like a real bargain.  I’ve found what works for me best, but your own needs and preferences certainly may vary.  

Good luck no matter which method you decide to employ.

I can see your point with regards to using an agent for your particular needs if you were only charged 5,000 baht. For my needs (converting a tourist visa to a Non-O) , an agent (Tian) quoted me 18,000 baht.  I think that's an outrageous amount! 

Since I've decided to do this on my own (with a lot of helpful advice from people on this forum), I think the number of actual man hours required will amount to perhaps 4-5.  For an experienced agent with connections, I'd imagine much, much less time. 

18,000 baht for that number of hours?   C'mon!  Sounds like somebody is making a unreasonable killing!

Edited by Kohsamida

14 minutes ago, Fore Man said:

You’ve completely lost me, NancyL...mixing apples and oranges.  Why the reference to renewing driver’s licenses?  Sorry, but your comments make no sense.  

I think she made her point pretty clear; that much of what's involved in dealing with the Immigration Office in regard to renewing visas is not that much more involved than what's required to renew a DL.  At least, that's how I read it.  Not apples and oranges at all, really.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rumak said:

you continue to try to force your ideas of how things should be done on others.  you may deny this but some of us have enough intelligence to know what your words mean.  

in contract this man gave reasons why he uses an agent, but specifically adds that "your own needs and preferences may vary".  

you have stated more times than i care to count what your position is on this subject.  maybe you can just copy and paste all your previous posts .  that would save you time and energy....... but i do respect that your own needs and preferences may vary from mine.

Wow, take it easy!  You sound like you're gonna blow a gasket or something, and we all know how messy that can be.

Edited by Kohsamida

1 minute ago, Kohsamida said:

Wow, take it easy!  You sound like you're gonna blow a gasket or something.

you've gone from someone who knows absolutely nothing to an expert here on tv in record time.

congratulations

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

you've gone from someone who knows absolutely nothing to an expert here on tv in record time.

congratulations

Just observing how some people can get along with others and make their points in a positive and friendly way, and some can not.  Nothing to get huffy about.

Edited by Kohsamida

With G4T  plus whatever they are called now were faily priced

Tian are on the other hand are getting as much money as they can

Because when Immigration go back to the new building they may not exist

It is only a matter of time before people will stop pay that absorbent amount

Roll on the new building opening thats all i can say

17 hours ago, Sparkles said:

Well if you have been following this thread ,which I presume you have,there are no 2 days the same at Imm so doubt you will get a definitive answer it will be  purely speculation.Your options, that have been also well covered before on this thread, are either rent a line sitter or an Agent.The former will be far cheaper.

21 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Im wondering too.  Is this your first application for an extension or are you renewing an existing extension?  The post I read about arriving so early was referring to renewing an extension I believe.  Not sure if there’s a distinction in terms of how long the line is.  Just trying to sort out the facts because I am converting a tourist visa to non-O and will be facing this in a few months too.

This year was my 13th renewal, very familiar with the procedures and good friends with some of the officials, have never had any problems. But will soon be assisting a very fragile person to get her extension and don't want her to sit all night or strike out. The lines in my experience are far from random but go in cycles. I'll have to bring her about 6:30 I guess, see how it goes. I've never had need of an agent and see no advantage to it for anybody, but different strokes for different folks. If there's any serious problem I expect I'll get help, probably foolish of me to plumb the forum.   

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

This year was my 13th renewal, very familiar with the procedures and good friends with some of the officials, have never had any problems. But will soon be assisting a very fragile person to get her extension and don't want her to sit all night or strike out. The lines in my experience are far from random but go in cycles. I'll have to bring her about 6:30 I guess, see how it goes. I've never had need of an agent and see no advantage to it for anybody, but different strokes for different folks. If there's any serious problem I expect I'll get help, probably foolish of me to plumb the forum.   

You should apply to use the "Priority Lane" for your very frail friend.  Perhaps you can go out to Imm. in advance during the day and inquire as to how to access it.  The rules seem to change from time-to-time.  You may need a letter from a doctor, but in general, if someone looks very frail, in a wheelchair, very elderly, Imm. has been pretty understanding about letting a friend request the "Priority Lane" for them.  At least they have in the past.  Things seem to have changed since Songkran.  New sheriff in town at the office.

13 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I can see your point with regards to using an agent for your particular needs if you were only charged 5,000 baht. For my needs (converting a tourist visa to a Non-O) , an agent (Tian) quoted me 18,000 baht.  I think that's an outrageous amount! 

Since I've decided to do this on my own (with a lot of helpful advice from people on this forum), I think the number of actual man hours required will amount to perhaps 4-5.  For an experienced agent with connections, I'd imagine much, much less time. 

18,000 baht for that number of hours?   C'mon!  Sounds like somebody is making a unreasonable killing!

Think about it.  Do you think all of that 18,000 baht is going into the pocket of the Tian people?  Why do you think Imm. makes it so difficult to do a visa conversion when it's a breeze in other provinces?

1 minute ago, NancyL said:

Think about it.  Do you think all of that 18,000 baht is going into the pocket of the Tian people?  Why do you think Imm. makes it so difficult to do a visa conversion when it's a breeze in other provinces?

Oh I understand that.  I think it's reprehensible that Imm and these agents make life needlessly difficult for Farangs just so they can put a little money in their pocket.   

What I don't understand is how they can get away with it.  I mean, it seems that all the other regional Imm offices treat people pretty fairly without all of this nonsense of making people stand in lines at 2am!  Isn't there a higher authority over the regional offices that would find this to be improper?  I mean, people on retirement visas bring a LOT on foreign money into the Thai economy.  All this local nonsense at Promenada jeopardizes that.  You'd think the situation would be self-correcting, but I guess not.

When I first decided to change visa-types I was in Jomtien and people I talked to there who had dealt with Jomtien Imm office said it was a very straight-forward process involving minimal frustration.  Here in Chiang Mai, it sounds like a nightmare by comparison.

19 minutes ago, amexpat said:

At least he didn't tell you to go back to your home country.

That's the usual response when someone suggests a correction. 

LOL, yeah, as in, "Why don't you go back where you came from?"  Why do so many people feel compelled to say things in forums that don't advance the thread at all, and seem only mean-spirited in nature.  I don't get it.  Have they nothing better to do with their time?  And a comment like that, from a platinum member.  I REALLY don't get it.  Am I missing something here?

Edited by Kohsamida

8 hours ago, cusanus said:

Well you never originally made the observation that you were going to help a fragile person when I indicated that waiting times for others were pure speculation.

I used the priority lane last January.The interns downstairs were rather confused but finally found me  a washed out photocopy form whch I filled in and after being directed to the wrong place twice I finished up in thre TM 30 room.The questions asked were just standard stuff name ,address  ,phone no, reason for using the priority lane, ie age.

Took around 2 hours to get processed but sure beats an early start and/or hiring an agent/line sittter.

Whether this service is stil available I have no idea. If there's is a new man at the top things do tend to change.

Perhaps a phone call or vist will get some clarification

I think she made her point pretty clear; that much of what's involved in dealing with the Immigration Office in regard to renewing visas is not that much more involved than what's required to renew a DL.

Oh dear. So it's not apples and oranges. I guess, then, that I'll have to hire an agent to renew my DL, as I'm not prepared to queue out there at 2:00AM. But hopefully the agent can watch that worn out movie for me......:)

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CMsojourner said:

I REALLY don't get it.  Am I missing something here?   (quote from k...mita)

i think he has repeated this line or something similar many times.

the answer is YES.    and the problem is he keeps going on and on and on

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

I think she made her point pretty clear; that much of what's involved in dealing with the Immigration Office in regard to renewing visas is not that much more involved than what's required to renew a DL. 

37 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Oh dear. So it's not apples and oranges. I guess, then, that I'll have to hire an agent to renew my DL, as I'm not prepared to queue out there at 2:00AM. But hopefully the agent can watch that worn out movie for me......:)

Apparently it wasn't clear enough for You......:) 

She wrote:

" If you were still living in Bangkok, you wouldn't be using an agent for something that is as easy as renewing your Thai drivers license.  Or should be."

If you need further clarification, just ask.......:)

Apparently it wasn't clear enough for You......:) 

A little slow on the uptake, eh. Her equation that renewing your permit of stay and renewing your DL are both a walk in the park are where her argument falls apart -- at least in CM.  And we have 134 pages, from many sleep deprived non agent users, to substantiate this.

She wrote:

" If you were still living in Bangkok, you wouldn't be using an agent for something that is as easy as renewing your Thai drivers license.  Or should be."

If you need further clarification, just ask.......:)

Yes, please clarify that your realize this is the CM sub forum.

• Like 1