Immigration Promenada One Stop Service 2016-2017

Tywais

37 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Oh dear.  I really want to learn how Kohsamida's appointment tomorrow and attempt to convert his tourist visa to a non-imm O visa turns out tomorrow.  To refuse to return to tells us really is mean spirited, esp. after some TV members have made an attempt to provide useful information.

Edit:  Incidentally, Kohsamida, the way I read point No. 3 in the document you received from Imm. is that if someone is staying in a place owned by a foreigner and not paying rent, then the owner must supply a letter to Immigration explaining the status of the "foreigner", i.e. the applicant.  For example, if I bring my elderly father over to Thailand to live with me in a condo I own, then I have to supply a letter to Imm. explaining that he is my father, living in a condo I own and I'm not charging him rent because, well, he's my father, but he still needs his own non-Imm O visa and eventually a retirement extension.  He can't be carried as a dependent on my own retirement visa and extension, the way that Hubby could.

Because I respect you and the others who have helped me, I will follow up after my appointment tomorrow. It's only fair, and I'm more than happy to do that.  

THANK YOU for your read on what you think that "letter" is all about.  I think you are probably correct, and so it's nothing for me to feel concerned abut now.  I appreciate your input.

The condo owner sent me something in lieu of the House Book so keeping my fingers crossed IMM will accept it. 

I think more than anyone you understand my concern.  I am on a short timeline here.  If my appointment doesn't go off well tomorrow, I'd have an issue with the 21 day rule that only Chiang Mai Immigration imposes.  That's the only reason I posted these questions.  I really did not expect to get such a hostile response from certain forum members.

I am just weary of these ridiculously negative and personal exchanges with people like Dante99, Rumak and especially LordBlackadar, who actually goes as far as to follow me from one unrelated thread to another only for the purpose of posting snide and sarcastic personal comments that have nothing to do with the particular thread. 

It's OK if they want to do that but I'm just tired of seeing good threads get trashed by such nonsense, thus my decision to quit posting  So, for the people who have been caring and helpful, I hope you understand.

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

Welcome to the world of ThaiVisa.  Yes, if you put yourself out-there, you'll develop a "fan club" that will follow you from one thread to another with the sole intent of seeing if they can get under your skin.  It happens to me and actually I find it humorous, or really rather sad, that there are people here with nothing better to do.

Rather than feeling the need to respond to these jerks directly on the forum you can use the "report" function and ask the moderators to delete their posts if it appears the sole purpose is to stalk and flame you.  Usually it works and sometimes it can result in the offenders getting a little holiday from ThaiVisa.  Too many holidays and they have to go the trouble of finding another device and getting a new user name to continue to post to ThaiVisa.

Funny you should say that; in a way I find it humorous too, kind of sad actually, but funny at the same time.  I really don't take offense on a personal level; I'm not that thin-skinned, but I think it does a real dis-service to people who are searching a thread looking for information and instead they to wade through such silly nonsense.  Fact is, I've never visited a forum where this didn't go on, so, no big deal I guess.  Free speech and all that; no need to "report" them.  The only people they really offend is themselves.

23 hours ago, Kohsamida said:
23 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Ya know, if you guys who are replying in such a negative way don't want to provide any useful information, that's fine but please don't insinuate I should not be concerned by this information sheet that IMM gave me when I made my appointment.  It is DIFFERENT than what they told me and showed me while in their office.  So, naturally I am a little concerned!

All right, I've really offended you, not remembering your problem as thought it had been answered well. I've done the conversion several times myself, just not within Thai borders, but it shouldn't differ. Let us focus on the #2 and #3 of the Residence Document instructions that you seem to indicate is the cause of your confusion. First, if you're already in Thailand, you MUST have a TM30 stub stapled near the last page of your passport. Now I remember, been here, done that. Next, for a permanent visa more is needed. You MUST have a lease/rental agreement for a permanent residence, RIGHT? Get one if you don't. That will NOT necessarily suffice, so you MUST have a photocopy of the owners Thai ID card and owner's house book (his/her proof of ownership). Go to your owner and GET THOSE NOW. The owner should know exactly what they are and supply them readily. #4, the TM30 you're supposed to have, but if you don't the OWNER must accompany you ASAP to Immigration upstairs at Promenada and bring those same documents. Savvy? And if you don't have the TM30 stub stapled in your passport, you will pay I believe 1600 baht. This is abundantly clear in the instructions, so I'm not sure if I've done any better. Everybody has to jump through those same hoops. Try it now. 

Edited by cusanus
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, cusanus said:

snip......

First, if you're already in Thailand, you MUST have a TM30 stub stapled near the last page of your passport. Now I remember, been here, done that. Next, for a permanent visa more is needed. You MUST have a lease/rental agreement for a permanent residence, RIGHT? Get one if you don't. That will NOT necessarily suffice, so you MUST have a photocopy of the owners Thai ID card and owner's house book (his/her proof of ownership). Go to your owner and GET THOSE NOW. The owner should know exactly what they are and supply them readily. #4, the TM30 you're supposed to have, but if you don't the OWNER must accompany you ASAP to Immigration upstairs at Promenada and bring those same documents. Savvy? And if you don't have the TM30 stub stapled in your passport, you will pay I believe 1600 baht. This is abundantly clear in the instructions, so I'm not sure if I've done any better.

"First, if you're already in Thailand, you MUST have a TM30 stub stapled near the last page of your passport."

I don't have one. Never in 10 years.

"you MUST have a photocopy of the owners Thai ID card and owner's house book (his/her proof of ownership)"

Never had that but I did get a certificate of residency twice.

"if you don't the OWNER must accompany you ASAP to Immigration"

Nope.

I MUST be a lucky guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cusanus said:

First, if you're already in Thailand, you MUST have a TM30 stub stapled near the last page of your passport.

Since when has anyone had to have ANYTHING stapled into their passport.  Up to every individual how they control their various bits of paper.  If you are in BKK I am informed you need not even bother with a TM30.

Next, for a permanent visa

I don't think a "permanent visa", if there is such a thing (do you mean Thai Citizenship?) is under discussion.  I think we are talking about getting an 'O' in preparation for an "extension" based on retirement.

And if you don't have the TM30 stub stapled in your passport, you will pay I believe 1600 baht.

a) no staple required and the 1600Baht (at CM Immigration not BKK etc) is the responsibility of the landlord or owner, not whoever is renting the property.  If you own your own then it is you who are liable.

This is abundantly clear in the instructions,

What is clear in what instructions about what situation to which expat by who and where?

The basic rule in Thailand and especially CM Immigration is that the only rules that apply in any given situation are the ones applied/demanded by the Thai IO at that given moment.  I would suggest that BIG BOLD statements to newbies (in fact to all)  should be avoided.

So, as promised, here is Part 2 of Change of Visa (Tourist > Non-O): The Appointment (Part 1; applying for the appointment was covered in Post #2017).

Arrived at Prominada at 1pm today June 11, for my 2pm appointment.  Got my bank book updated at the Bangkok Bank Branch on the 2nd floor (must be done the same day as the appointment), and then went to the Copy shop on the sub-level next to the main IMM office to make two (2) copies of everything required by IMM for the appointment.

Note: The day you go and apply for an appointment, IMM gives you a two page instruction sheet (attached).  It is slightly different than the one they go over with you while you're in the office to make the appointment, and different than the one with the blue background that has been posted here on TVF. 

Go by the instruction sheets they give you and what they tell you verbally; forget everything else!  The only thing not on the sheet, and that's only communicated verbally is:

1) the Bank Guarantor letter must be dated no more than 7 days prior to your appointment date

2) the copy of your bank book must be made on the day of your appointment

The two specific differences on the instruction sheets, compared to what they show you and describe in the office are:

1) a copy of the owners "house book"...you definitely need it if you are renting. 

2) a letter from the owner (you only need this if you don't have a written lease agreement (for example: you're living there for free).

So, I showed up at the 2nd floor office a little before 2pm and was told to wait until my name was called.  Around 2:30 I was called to the desk.  The officer spoke very broken English and communication was quite difficult as she started pointed out issues with TM30 documentation, and with not having a House Book.

Actually I did have something similar to a house book and she finally accepted it, but not until about 20 minutes of phones calls, searching on the computer, and conferring with another officer

Next came the TM30 problem.  That was almost a deal breaker.  She wanted to see proof that a TM30 had been filed, not only for my current condo but my previous one! 

The thing is, I had moved to a new condo about 5 days after re-entering Thailand from a border run to get a new 60 day stamp.  Since the TM30 for my new condo was dated 5 days after this last entry stamp in my passport, I had to account for those five days which meant I actually needed a TM30 for the old condo as well as the new one.  My fault for sure, I just didn't think of this.

She said, I needed to contact the old condo owner and get his notification of filing and come back to IMM before they close today if my application was to go through.  The thing is, my old condo is in SuThep and there was no way I could get over there and back before IMM closed at 4:30!

Luckily, the guy who handles TM30's in the 2nd floor office is a really nice man who speaks perfect English.  He was sympathetic to my situation and used my phone to call the previous owner and spoke with him in Thai, got the owner's filing information right over the phone, and then looked it up on the computer.  Ten minutes later I had the stamped TM30!

His name is Mr. Beck BTW.  He's the only guy in the office that wears a Thai Police uniform.  While I was there I saw him approached by numerous Farangs with questions and confused looks on their faces, only to be smiling and walking away with answers a few minutes later.  So, if you have any problems int that office, he is the one who can help, and he seems happy to do so!

It still took another hour to get called back to the officer's desk, and have her stamp each page of my application (including the dupes) with 4 different rubber stamps, and then have me sign each one.  I think there was 30 pages in total.  She started laughing as my signature gradually started to look like a scrawl with so many pages to sign.  She also prodded me (in a good natured way) to hurry since they were about to close.  My last few signatures were just straight lines LOL!

I got the Visa approved at 4:28pm (with 2 minutes to spare before closing time LOL), and I go back on July 3 (2 days before my tourist visa expires) to get the official stamp for the 90 Day Non-O Retirement Visa ?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make a point that anything left to chance in the process will probably come back and bite you; even things you weren't expecting.  So, as many on TVF have said, a lot of the process is simply luck!

The thing is, since Chiang Mai has a 21 Day rule (your visa application must be approved 21 days before expiration of your tourist visa), that doesn't leave any leeway for a screw-up, especially if you're on a 30 day tourist visa!

I don't like the idea of using an agent but for future dealing with IMM I probably will, at least here in Chaing Mai.

Attached are the instructions pages.  Don't assume they are correct beyond the date of this post since things can and do change with IMM without notice, and even the instruction sheets are not complete so listen to everything the officer tells you at your 1st meeting to make the appointment.

Imm1.JPG

Imm2.JPG

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cusanus said:

All right, I've really offended you, not remembering your problem as thought it had been answered well. ...

Hi Cusanus,

I didn't really take offense at what you said, and perhaps I get a little too anal when it comes to trying to be prepared with stuff like this.  Forgive me, I was a commercial pilot by profession so I tend to sweat the details big-time by nature.  I'm learning that when it comes to Thai bureaucracy there's only so much control you can have over a situation. 

I found out big-time today when I went in for my appointment!  I knew the House Book was going to be an issue but was totally blind-sided by a TM30 issue that came up.  It wasn't that I didn't have one because I did.  I just didn't realize that I needed two of them; one for my new condo and one for my old one!  I won't go into the details ; if you want to know, I posted about it a few minutes ago.

As screwed as I thought I was at that moment since the officer was giving me no leeway, the issue was resolved by a another official in the office who was sympathetic to my plight and helped me resolve it on the spot.

My point being; I thought I was incredibly well prepared for the appointment, and I was, but still, it kind of blew up in my face anyway. 

In the end, I was simply lucky that somebody stepped in and helped me out.  It's kind of funny to realize that even in such a bureaucratic atmosphere as Chaing Mai IMM, there are still human beings that work there and are willing to act as such.

Edited by Kohsamida

8 hours ago, amexpat said:

"First, if you're already in Thailand, you MUST have a TM30 stub stapled near the last page of your passport."

I don't have one. Never in 10 years.

"you MUST have a photocopy of the owners Thai ID card and owner's house book (his/her proof of ownership)"

Never had that but I did get a certificate of residency twice.

"if you don't the OWNER must accompany you ASAP to Immigration"

Nope.

I MUST be a lucky guy. 

Read the instructions. So you don't have a TM30 stub? Many don't, and the law wasn't enforced 10 years ago, but now it is. Times have changed. I've been through the TM30 procedure many times. If the owner is registered such as a hotel, it doesn't need to be in person. For me and my friends, the owner (my wife in my case) had to go in person with their Thai ID and fill in the form as many have found out. Again, read the document, this is what he's being told to do. If you don't have the TM30 then you could be denied the visa and most likely will be fined 1600 baht. You're not a lucky guy, just arrogant and not very bright. The TM30 MUST be stamped within 24 hours. Read the law. So often as in your case it isn't, and many people don't bother, but when you're applying for a visa you are likely to be turned down if it isn't. The owner has to show proof of ownership. Read the instructions, then read Kohsimada's post, and maybe save yourself a hassle when you get your next extension. For him, the TM30 was required. But not for you, you're a lucky guy. Damn. 

Edited by cusanus

Looks like the turtle wins the race and all the smart alecks have fled into the night. Thank you Kohsamida for explaining so well what the instructions state and for having verified it with your experience. Congrats for making it through the hoops.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cusanus said:

You're not a lucky guy, just arrogant and not very bright. The TM30 MUST be stamped within 24 hours. Read the law.

Duh, de last time I reentered LOS was last spring. I've done a retirement permission to stay renewal and three 90 days since. Yup, I'm very proud to be so dumb. 

13 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

So, as promised, here is Part 2 of Change of Visa (Tourist > Non-O): The Appointment (Part 1; applying for the appointment was covered in Post #2017).

Arrived at Prominada at 1pm today June 11, for my 2pm appointment.  Got my bank book updated at the Bangkok Bank Branch on the 2nd floor (must be done the same day as the appointment), and then went to the Copy shop on the sub-level next to the main IMM office to make two (2) copies of everything required by IMM for the appointment.

Note: The day you go and apply for an appointment, IMM gives you a two page instruction sheet (attached).  It is slightly different than the one they go over with you while you're in the office to make the appointment, and different than the one with the blue background that has been posted here on TVF. 

Go by the instruction sheets they give you and what they tell you verbally; forget everything else!  The only thing not on the sheet, and that's only communicated verbally is:

1) the Bank Guarantor letter must be dated no more than 7 days prior to your appointment date

2) the copy of your bank book must be made on the day of your appointment

The two specific differences on the instruction sheets, compared to what they show you and describe in the office are:

1) a copy of the owners "house book"...you definitely need it if you are renting. 

2) a letter from the owner (you only need this if you don't have a written lease agreement (for example: you're living there for free).

So, I showed up at the 2nd floor office a little before 2pm and was told to wait until my name was called.  Around 2:30 I was called to the desk.  The officer spoke very broken English and communication was quite difficult as she started pointed out issues with TM30 documentation, and with not having a House Book.

Actually I did have something similar to a house book and she finally accepted it, but not until about 20 minutes of phones calls, searching on the computer, and conferring with another officer

Next came the TM30 problem.  That was almost a deal breaker.  She wanted to see proof that a TM30 had been filed, not only for my current condo but my previous one! 

The thing is, I had moved to a new condo about 5 days after re-entering Thailand from a border run to get a new 60 day stamp.  Since the TM30 for my new condo was dated 5 days after this last entry stamp in my passport, I had to account for those five days which meant I actually needed a TM30 for the old condo as well as the new one.  My fault for sure, I just didn't think of this.

She said, I needed to contact the old condo owner and get his notification of filing and come back to IMM before they close today if my application was to go through.  The thing is, my old condo is in SuThep and there was no way I could get over there and back before IMM closed at 4:30!

Luckily, the guy who handles TM30's in the 2nd floor office is a really nice man who speaks perfect English.  He was sympathetic to my situation and used my phone to call the previous owner and spoke with him in Thai, got the owner's filing information right over the phone, and then looked it up on the computer.  Ten minutes later I had the stamped TM30!

His name is Mr. Beck BTW.  He's the only guy in the office that wears a Thai Police uniform.  While I was there I saw him approached by numerous Farangs with questions and confused looks on their faces, only to be smiling and walking away with answers a few minutes later.  So, if you have any problems int that office, he is the one who can help, and he seems happy to do so!

It still took another hour to get called back to the officer's desk, and have her stamp each page of my application (including the dupes) with 4 different rubber stamps, and then have me sign each one.  I think there was 30 pages in total.  She started laughing as my signature gradually started to look like a scrawl with so many pages to sign.  She also prodded me (in a good natured way) to hurry since they were about to close.  My last few signatures were just straight lines LOL!

I got the Visa approved at 4:28pm (with 2 minutes to spare before closing time LOL), and I go back on July 3 (2 days before my tourist visa expires) to get the official stamp for the 90 Day Non-O Retirement Visa ?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make a point that anything left to chance in the process will probably come back and bite you; even things you weren't expecting.  So, as many on TVF have said, a lot of the process is simply luck!

The thing is, since Chiang Mai has a 21 Day rule (your visa application must be approved 21 days before expiration of your tourist visa), that doesn't leave any leeway for a screw-up, especially if you're on a 30 day tourist visa!

I don't like the idea of using an agent but for future dealing with IMM I probably will, at least here in Chaing Mai.

Attached are the instructions pages.  Don't assume they are correct beyond the date of this post since things can and do change with IMM without notice, and even the instruction sheets are not complete so listen to everything the officer tells you at your 1st meeting to make the appointment.

Imm1.JPG

Imm2.JPG

Your visa has not yet been approved, it is under consideration, all being well you will get the stamp of approval when you return in July.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Your visa has not yet been approved, it is under consideration, all being well you will get the stamp of approval when you return in July.

??

Edited by Kohsamida

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Thank you for reposting those four screens of data so we know your two line comment is about visa approval. 

• Sad 1

Thank you, Kohsamida for your detailed and helpful description of the process of converting a tourist visa to an non-imm O visa.  

I wonder how long it will be until "Mr. Beck" superior English language skills and helpfulness to customers is recognized and he's transferred to another post, like rounding up Burmese migrants along the border.  He's definitely a standout in that office.

It looks like you successfully navigated all the obstacles Imm. planted.  In the future, you don't really need to use an agent if you can handle a visa conversion by yourself.  However, you may not relish the need to turn up at zero-dark-stupid to get a queue number if they continue their current practice of one queue for everyone clutching a TM7 application.  This is a fairly new development and hopefully, they'll return to the "good old days" of separate queuing for retirement, student, marriage, etc extensions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, amexpat said:

Thank you for reposting those four screens of data so we know your two line comment is about visa approval. 

As my method of referencing a post is causing you such distress perhaps you could simply use the blocking system that is freely available to all members then you will not have to suffer such trauma?

43 minutes ago, NancyL said:

However, you may not relish the need to turn up at zero-dark-stupid to get a queue number

Go for the worst as usual.  Guess you forgot about the line sitter option for a few hundred baht.  Or do you find that unacceptable for some reason?

3 hours ago, amexpat said:

Duh, de last time I reentered LOS was last spring. I've done a retirement permission to stay renewal and three 90 days since. Yup, I'm very proud to be so dumb. 

I give up! You were born under the brightest star. We could never hope to be so bloody lucky!

42 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Go for the worst as usual.  Guess you forgot about the line sitter option for a few hundred baht.  Or do you find that unacceptable for some reason?

Well, Kohsamida seems to want to do everything himself and not pay anyone for something that should be free.  If they just go back to separate queues like they had before Songkran, there would be no need to show up at zero-dark-stupid for a retirement extension.  It's throwing the students with the retirees that has messed everything up.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Thank you, Kohsamida for your detailed and helpful description of the process of converting a tourist visa to an non-imm O visa.  

I wonder how long it will be until "Mr. Beck" superior English language skills and helpfulness to customers is recognized and he's transferred to another post, like rounding up Burmese migrants along the border.  He's definitely a standout in that office.

It looks like you successfully navigated all the obstacles Imm. planted.  In the future, you don't really need to use an agent if you can handle a visa conversion by yourself.  However, you may not relish the need to turn up at zero-dark-stupid to get a queue number if they continue their current practice of one queue for everyone clutching a TM7 application.  This is a fairly new development and hopefully, they'll return to the "good old days" of separate queuing for retirement, student, marriage, etc extensions.

Just what I was considering when I said I might use an agent or line-stander.  I don't like the idea of having to stand in line all night!  On the other hand,  these are pretty selfish solutions since they just make this situation all the more worse, especially for those who can't afford these options. 

I just don't understand why this situation seems to be so pronounced in Chiang Mai, compared to other offices throughout the Kingdom.  As I've said before, I know people who do this down in Jomtien and describe the process as a very causal and relatively trouble-free experience.  Why can't the powers-that-be establish a universal process throughout the Kingdom?

And as an aside, I've done long-term visas in other countries and never encountered such red-tape or long delays as here in Thailand.  Even my 6 month METV that I got in the States was crazy when I tried to do it through the DC or NYC embassy, it required 1-2 week turnaround.  Yet when I decided to fly out to LA and do it through that embassy, it turned out to be a piece a cake (1 day turn around!)

My point in all of this, it would just be nice if the Thai Imm process could follow universal guidelines instead of all of this localized nonsense.   I mean, seriously, in the case of retirement visa, these people are infusing a lot of cash into the economy, and I think they should be treated a whole lot better with this whole process than they currently are (forcing retirees to queue with students?...give me a break, how rude to the retirees!)

18 minutes ago, Kohsamida said:

(forcing retirees to queue with students?...give me a break, how rude to the retirees!)

Terrible isn't it.  Students are so clearly a lower class of people than retirees. <deleted>?

9 minutes ago, cusanus said:

Not the point. They aren't as durable is all. 

My point was (as I'm sure Dante realized), that retirees are infusing a lot of money into the economy and therefore should be shown a little consideration (a separate queuing line...a win/win for BOTH retiree and student).  And absolutely, many of them are not as durable and shouldn't be forced to endure standing in lines in the wee hours of the morning.  Dante just likes to play the devil's advocate ?

Edited by Kohsamida
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NancyL said:

Something about arriving early in the dark...

my post was removed because of the quote, oh well, but just how early were you talking about? And if a frail, elderly lady with a walker might get a break? Someone recently posted that he arrived at 6:30 and all went well. Khosimada went in the afternoon, I don't quite understand that, but it's a different route for visa conversions I guess. 

Edited by cusanus

I thought this forum was about  immigration information

Not about Hypertheticals

Some people need to keep to the information point

Not about other things

I think Khosimada did a good job posting about how it went at immigration

As other may need to go through this in the future

IMHO

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cusanus said:

my post was removed because of the quote, oh well, but just how early were you talking about? And if a frail, elderly lady with a walker might get a break? Someone recently posted that he arrived at 6:30 and all went well. Khosimada went in the afternoon, I don't quite understand that, but it's a different route for visa conversions I guess. 

I was there for an "appointment" to get a visa conversion.  Imm set the time specifically for 2pm.  I think the poster that talked about 6:30 was there to queue for a retirement extension (the queue that mixes students and retirees). 

Just a note about "frail, elderly", Imm seems to have "priority lines" for this (see picture of sign I saw at Promenanda).

Sorry your quote of my post got you busted ?

IMG_0528.JPG