TM6. Arrival Card question

I'm about to fly into thailand with my non-imm o visa (will extend to marriage visa later) and noticed on the TM.6 Arrival card it asks country of residence....

Thailand is what I intend to write.

But I'm wondering can a non-immigrant visa holder be considered a resident of Thailand?

What is commonly called a "Retirement Visa" is a Non O visa to live your life in Thailand.

I think that the 2 forms in Thai that immigration fill out for you and make you sign for your extensions say something in Thai to that effect.

I always give my Thai address, because I am a resident of Thailand.

Based on marriage could be different......

• Like 2

I'm on a Non O extension marriage for many years now .....

Always been giving my Thai adress bcz I live here 365 days and my vacation are Canada/Usa seeing my family...

But yes by Thai law we are just a nobody bcz if my wife die even after 10-20 years you still a nobody lol

Edited by LburtonL
  • Like 1

• You don't need to complete the questionnaire on the back of the arrival card. If you do you should give your home country address.
  • A non-immigrant visa holder is not considered a resident of Thailand by immigration.

elviajero has answered your question, fully and perfectly.

Thanks elviojero, for clarifying, so succintly to the gentleman.

Cheers!

I am on a retirement extension. I live full time in Thailand so that is my country of residence. Immigration have not queried my TM6

Most likely because no one at immigrations bothers to read what anyone writes for county of residence.

I'm about to fly into thailand with my non-imm o visa (will extend to marriage visa later) and noticed on the TM.6 Arrival card

You may get an extension of stay based on marriage, but there's no such thing as a marriage visa and visas are never extended.

Edited by Maestro
Removed off-topic comment
  • Like 2

I am on a retirement extension. I live full time in Thailand so that is my country of residence. Immigration have not queried my TM6

Most likely because no one at immigrations bothers to read what anyone writes for county of residence.

I'm about to fly into thailand with my non-imm o visa (will extend to marriage visa later) and noticed on the TM.6 Arrival card

You may get an extension of stay based on marriage, but there's no such thing as a marriage visa and visas are never extended.

My bad. I meant the extension of stay.

But I'm wondering can a non-immigrant visa holder be considered a resident of Thailand?

He is not considered to be a resident in Thailand.

Interresting.....

Country of origin and Country of residence deemed to be the same in Thailand. Maestro, or do i miss a vital point of view?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text
  • Like 1

Ok i found an interesting article:

" Those who live in Thailand for more than half the year are considered to be resident in the country for the purposes of tax. If you are resident then you are expected to pay taxes on all income that you earn worldwide. "

So if I stay for 6 months or more I am considered a non-immigrant, resident of thailand.

• Like 1

Ok i found an interesting article:

" Those who live in Thailand for more than half the year are considered to be resident in the country for the purposes of tax. If you are resident then you are expected to pay taxes on all income that you earn worldwide. "

So if I stay for 6 months or more I am considered a non-immigrant, resident of thailand.

Don't believe everything you read... If you live and work here you pay taxes on income earned here, not elsewhere.

It has been so long since I filled in a TM6 form I am not sure what I might of put on it.

If I did one today I would put Thailand since it is my place of residence. You don't have to have to be a resident by immigration terms in a country to be a resident of it.

• Like 1

Does your home country recognize that Thailand is your legal residence? Do you still pay taxes to your home country?

"You don't have to have to be a resident by immigration terms in a country to be a resident of it."

I have a non-immi retirement visa living here since 6+ years and do not have an address in my home country any more which I could give on the card.

Here is my residency, however not in legal terms of "permanent resident" according to the Thai administration.

Therefore, I always wrote my address in TH on the arrival card, as I do not have any other address to give. I was never questioned about.

They don't ask for your address of the Country where you hold residency.

They only ask for the Country, so you don't need an address.

I am a British citizen and therefore have the right to permanent residency in the UK.

Next year when I return from a trip to the UK, I will put my Thai address on the front and on the back;

Country of Residence.........UK

Point of Embarkation.........Manchester.

Read the form in full before you fixate on one section and confuse yourself.

• Like 1

"I am a British citizen and therefore have the right to permanent residency in the UK."

I am not a native English speaker as you may have noticed wink.png and the Thai officers neither.

So it may depend on the definition of "residence" and its comprehension.

However, the "right of permanent residency" I do have in Europe, but I do not have any actual residence over there.

Do you think they ask on the arrival card and on other forms the "right of residency"? Or the "permanent residence"?

I guess they understand "residence" as "origin" or they want just to know where you have your (permanent) home.

As I do not have any home in Europe I am writing the Thai address.

Probably there a many variations of interpretation and misunderstandings as copmmon in LOS whistling.gif

Country of residence i always write Thailand, because that's where my only adress is. Point of embarkation depends if i had a non-stop flight or not. If i make an extension, they ask for the transport mode, the plane number has to be the one which i entered Thailand, so even if i came from Zurich, when i had a stop-over in Dubai, the embarkation point is Dubai and the plane number is the one from Dubai, not the one from Zurich. Same about birthplace; i'm born in Zurich, but i don't write Zurich, because that's not what's written in my passport. Place of origin in my passport isn't the same as place of bearth (i don't know what other countries it's handled like this). After my first visit here i didn't think about it anymore, never had problems. My country of residence is Thailand, despite not having a permenent residence visa or citizienship.

• Like 2

Country of residence i always write Thailand, because that's where my only adress is. Point of embarkation depends if i had a non-stop flight or not. If i make an extension, they ask for the transport mode, the plane number has to be the one which i entered Thailand, so even if i came from Zurich, when i had a stop-over in Dubai, the embarkation point is Dubai and the plane number is the one from Dubai, not the one from Zurich. Same about birthplace; i'm born in Zurich, but i don't write Zurich, because that's not what's written in my passport. Place of origin in my passport isn't the same as place of bearth (i don't know what other countries it's handled like this). After my first visit here i didn't think about it anymore, never had problems. My country of residence is Thailand, despite not having a permenent residence visa or citizienship.

The questionnaire on the back of the TM6 is collecting data about foreign visitors to Thailand, therefore, it's logical that they are referring to the visitors home country.

I queried this with a border IO years ago and was told not to bother completing the information, but to put my home country if I did. So I've never completed it.

Whatever is written on the back of the TM6 will not be questioned by an IO because they don't care, and are not ordered to ensure the information is completed or accurate.

• Like 2

I have a residence (legal) in Thailand.

I have a drivers license with my Thai address (legal in Thailand).

I reside in Thailand, year after year legally.

Am I a resident in Thailand? Yes!

Am I a legal permanent resident based on Thai immigration criteria? No!

• Like 1

I have a residence (legal) in Thailand.

I have a drivers license with my Thai address (legal in Thailand).

I reside in Thailand, year after year legally.

Am I a resident in Thailand? Yes!

Am I a legal permanent resident based on Thai immigration criteria? No!

Residence and Resident are two different entities.

Residence is your address, resident of a Country means you are under no Immigration control and have the right to remain.

Try buying a piece of land if your a legal permanent resident of Thailand then.

What is commonly called a "Retirement Visa" is a Non O visa to live your life in Thailand.

I think that the 2 forms in Thai that immigration fill out for you and make you sign for your extensions say something in Thai to that effect.

I always give my Thai address, because I am a resident of Thailand.

Based on marriage could be different......

Same same. Only ever put Thailand. Never been queried in 5 years

"You don't have to have to be a resident by immigration terms in a country to be a resident of it."

I have a non-immi retirement visa living here since 6+ years and do not have an address in my home country any more which I could give on the card.

Here is my residency, however not in legal terms of "permanent resident" according to the Thai administration.

Therefore, I always wrote my address in TH on the arrival card, as I do not have any other address to give. I was never questioned about.

Lol tricky definition. In my view I am a resident of Thailand (as I have deregistered myself from my home country) and I am coming to live in our family home in Thailand, however I know Thailand thinks of this residence term differently.

Exactly how they define it was of interest to me.

I think I may leave the back page blank this time.

Lol tricky definition. In my view I am a resident of Thailand (as I have deregistered myself from my home country) and I am coming to live in our family home in Thailand, however I know Thailand thinks of this residence term differently.

Exactly how they define it was of interest to me.

I think I may leave the back page blank this time.

How does one "deregister" from ones country ?

Which countries passport do you now hold ?