Swimming pool salt

Phone the TRS Salt sales office (google) and they will tell you the names and phone numbers of their suppliers in your part of Thailand. They will not know how much those suppliers charge though - you will have to do the finger or leg work.

As a reference point you can collect salt from the factory in Korat, Isaan (yeah I know it's a hell of a way from you by road) for about 85 baht a 25kg bag - minimum order 1 tonne or have it delivered on the mainland for somewhere in the range of 100 to 140 baht a 25kg bag, depending on distance (yeah I know you are on an island!) - minimum order 2 tonnes. October prices (the delivered price for me living in Sisaket about 300km from the factory was 113 baht a bag, it may have gone up since; prices have been static for at least 2 years but I find that many products that have been relatively static for several years have gone up in 2015.

Many pool shops (eg JD Pool chain) seem to sell it as high as 200-220 a bag

Edited by SantiSuk

I have tried various sources for salt to go in our pool and found that the cheaper salt ordered in bulk to be delivered left a brown ring around the pool wall. I now always buy food grade salt as i find it has less impurities. Price i pay for this is around 200 Baht for 25kg bag at the local pool shop. I can get it cheaper by buying in bulk 1000kg lots but thats a lot of solt to store when about 10 bags last me a year.

Heading towards fisherman's village, turn right to head back to Bang Rak,on your right there is a shop that sells salt at wholesale prices pool equipment. It has bikes bicycles for rent out front.

I find TSP pools to be super expensive at the best of times.

Heading towards fisherman's village, turn right to head back to Bang Rak,on your right there is a shop that sells salt at wholesale prices pool equipment. It has bikes bicycles for rent out front.

I don't quite understand your directions? Am I coming west from Chewang and turning right at the lights?

I don't quite understand your directions? Am I coming west from Chewang and turning right at the lights?

After the lights turn right towards Banrak before entering fisherman's village.

What is the salt for? I've never heard of that. Is it to increase PH? We use soda ash or industrial baking soda for that.

Sorry if I missed the mark on your question.

Evidently you don't know about salt-water-hydrolisis (SWH) pools. Using chlorine in pool is so 20th Century. Almost all pools in Thailand, Japan & Australia are now SWH.

SWH is more effective than chlorine, is much less work & maintenance, and is cheaper (in the long run). I've had a large SWH pool running 24/7 for 20 years and it works great and has saved me 1,000s of dollars. Also, you can swim all day without any eye irritation or hair drying out and color change. Also, a SWH pool does not have the smell of chlorine.

The salt (sodium chloride) in a SWH-pool is electrically hydrolyzed to produce chloride ions which kill every know bacteria, yeast, mold & virus.

Edited by HerbalEd

After the lights turn right towards Banrak before entering fisherman's village.

After I thought about this for awhile It did make sense. at 72 I am beginning to go a bit wacko. To all you young guys the golden years are not all they are cracked up to be.

Why would one want a tonne of salt ? The salt never leave the swimming pool unless you backwash/pump water out and refill with normal water. The replacement salt is +- 1 bag per month for a 12m x 6 m pool. With a tonne of salt you will have enough for 10 years. Many swimming pool guys will tell you to use 4 times that and make a killing.

Why would one want a tonne of salt ? The salt never leave the swimming pool unless you backwash/pump water out and refill with normal water. The replacement salt is +- 1 bag per month for a 12m x 6 m pool. With a tonne of salt you will have enough for 10 years. Many swimming pool guys will tell you to use 4 times that and make a killing.

Rain will dilute the salt and so it's necessary to occasionally add more salt.

One bag per month??? I assume you don't mean the 25kg.-size-bag that's been mentioned several times in this post.

BTW, 200 baht for a 25kg. bag of salt is very cheap and will last a long time. Only the cheapest of Charlies would go to the trouble to get it cheaper. You'll probably spend more on gas than you'll save on the salt.

Edited by HerbalEd

What is the salt for? I've never heard of that. Is it to increase PH? We use soda ash or industrial baking soda for that.

Evidently you don't know about salt-water-hydrolisis (SWH) pools. Using chlorine in pool is so 20th Century. Almost all pools in Thailand, Japan & Australia are now SWH.

SWH is more effective than chlorine, is much less work & maintenance, and is cheaper (in the long run). I've had a large SWH pool running 24/7 for 20 years and it works great and has saved me 1,000s of dollars. Also, you can swim all day without any eye irritation or hair drying out and color change. Also, a SWH pool does not have the smell of chlorine.

The salt (sodium chloride) in a SWH-pool is electrically hydrolyzed to produce chloride ions which kill every know bacteria, yeast, mold & virus.

have to disagree somewhat about your comments

a salt water pool is much more costly than just adding chlorine [correctly]]

first theres the chlorinator itself @ 20,000 baht [small one ]large one can be upwards of 100,000 ,plus install @ 5000 baht

then first salt dose for the pool maybe 1000 baht [small pool]

already 25,000 baht more than just starting with chlorine tablets

then theres the side effects of the chlorinator which raises the PH and needs acid to make it balanced on regular basis

so add another 200 baht per month [minimum]

with a long rainy season [this year ] dilutes the salt in the water so add another 1000 baht for extra salt for the year

total cost for starting with salt pool around 30,000 baht [small pool remember]

for same pool using chlorine tablet [1 tablet per week ] @ 32 baht per tabletx 52 weeks = 1664 baht per year for chlorine pool

times that by 20 years you get 33,280

your chlorinator wont last 20 years before being replaced

[average lifespan 5 years before repairs/replacement ]

if you chlorinate your pool correctly [CORRECTLY] with tablets/chlorine you wont get eye iritation or bleaching or chlorine smell

these problems occur when some lazy person overdoses the pool so they dont have to do it so often [normal occurance]

the one great thing about your salt water pool is that it saves you the hassle of chlorinating your pool manually

and for that its worth every penny

cheers

the pool doctor

first theres the chlorinator itself @ 20,000 baht [small one ]large one can be upwards of 100,000 ,plus install @ 5000 baht

then theres the side effects of the chlorinator which raises the PH and needs acid to make it balanced on regular basis

with a long rainy season [this year ] dilutes the salt in the water so add another 1000 baht for extra salt for the year

for same pool using chlorine tablet [1 tablet per week ] @ 32 baht per tabletx 52 weeks = 1664 baht per year for chlorine pool

if you chlorinate your pool correctly [CORRECTLY] with tablets/chlorine you wont get eye iritation or bleaching or chlorine smell

these problems occur when some lazy person overdoses the pool so they dont have to do it so often [normal occurance]

the one great thing about your salt water pool is that it saves you the hassle of chlorinating your pool manually

cheers

the pool doctor

I said it's "cheaper in the long run" ... but I did include the cost of the hydrolysis units in my cost analysis.

I can't speak to your experience, but after twenty-plus years of using salt-water-hydrolisis system I've found it to be much cheaper than using chlorine.

I had to replace the hydrolysis unit after 10 years (not 5) and the one I have now has so-far lasted more than 10 years.

BTW: 1,000 baht of salt per year?? Really? At 200 baht per 25kg. bag that 125kg. of salt per year.

Edited by HerbalEd

cheers

the pool doctor

I said it's "cheaper in the long run" ... but I did include the cost of the hydrolysis units in my cost analysis.

I can't speak to your experience, but after twenty-plus years of using salt-water-hydrolisis system I've found it to be much cheaper than using chlorine.

I had to replace the hydrolysis unit after 10 years (not 5) and the one I have now has so-far lasted more than 10 years. BTW, I cost analysis includes the cost of these units.

BTW: 1,000 baht of salt per year?? Really? At 200 baht per 25kg. bag that 125kg. of salt per year.

the salt usage is derived from more than 12 years of pool care

but easily 5 bags per year for most pools where theres average pool usage [splashing /spillage ]and average rainfall [over flow]and average backwashing [ wasteage ]

i manage a few pools both salt chlorinated and manually chlorinated

i go thru more than 50 bags of salt per year on 2 large pools alone

personally i prefer the salt pools for sure but not cost effective unless you account for your time saved[which for some is huge ]

cheers

Partially correct. Salt water hydrolysis produces chlorine just like addition of chlorine. However, it is more efficient than chlorine addition and also does not generate the same level of chloramines as addition. The salt present also helps stabilise free chlorine so much lower levels are sufficient.

I would be somewhat wary of claiming every known yeast, mold and virus are killed - giardia and cryptosporidia can survive in chlorinated water quite happily.

You're the second poster I've run into that has claimed chloride ions are the active agent. Salt ionizes 100% in water to sodium and chloride ions. If what you say is true, why would you need an electrolysis unit?

Partially correct. Salt water hydrolysis produces chlorine just like addition of chlorine. However, it is more efficient than chlorine addition and also does not generate the same level of chloramines as addition. The salt present also helps stabilise free chlorine so much lower levels are sufficient.

I would be somewhat wary of claiming every known yeast, mold and virus are killed - giardia and cryptosporidia can survive in chlorinated water quite happily.

You're the second poster I've run into that has claimed chloride ions are the active agent. Salt ionizes 100% in water to sodium and chloride ions. If what you say is true, why would you need an electrolysis unit?

Dissolving sodium chloride (salt) in water does not produce free sodium and chlorine ... i.e. it does not produce free sodium and chlorine ions. The salt dissolved in water is still salt which is why the water tastes salty.

Electrical hydrolysis separates the sodium and chlorine of the sodium chloride molecule. It also does the same to water by separating the water molecule into free oxygen and hydrogen. Fortunately here the free hydrogen doesn't create an explosion danger.

Edited by HerbalEd

Interesting. Can you give me some brands and prices?

Dissolving sodium chloride (salt) in water does not produce free sodium and chlorine ... i.e. it does not produce free sodium and chlorine ions. The salt dissolved in water is still salt which is why the water tastes salty.

Electrical hydrolysis separates the sodium and chlorine of the sodium chloride molecule. It also does the same to water by separating the water molecule into free oxygen and hydrogen. Fortunately here the free hydrogen doesn't create an explosion danger.

Your grasp of chemistry is faulty. Electrical hydrolysis of salt water produces hypochlorous acid and sodium hypochlorite, which then decompose to produce free CHLORINE.

Salt ionizes 100% in water to produce sodium and CHLORIDE ions, i.e. Na+ and Cl-. You can find this reaction in any basic chemistry textbook.

Salt tastes salty because it dissolves in saliva. Without saliva, it would have no taste. What's called a red herring.

Yes, electrolysis of water produces free oxygen and hydrogen. And the relevance to the chemistry of hydrolysis of salt water is?

Please state your formal qualifications in chemistry for the TV audience.