• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Phuket: No change in tuk-tuk safety regulations

webfact

No change in tuk-tuk safety regulations
Phuket Gazette

tt.jpeg
Tuk-tuk drivers say modifications, such as a gate or door, would be an inappropriate reaction to the tragic death of the 29-year-old British woman. Photo: Jeremie Schatz

PHUKET: -- There will be no immediate changes in safety regulations following a British woman's fall to her death from the back of a tuk-tuk on December 20.

“There will be no changes to our rules,” said Jaturong Kaewkasi, the chief policy adviser for the Phuket Land Transport Office (PLTO). “Tuk-tuks in Phuket are regulated by the Department of Land Transport. We are not ignoring safety measures in the public transportation sector; we just can't have a knee-jerk reaction and start changing regulations every time there is an accident.”

The sole witness to the incident, Paul Henry Fortuna, 30, told police in his statement that 29-year-old Elizabeth Corrigan was feeling sick from drinking and attempting to cross from her side of the tuk-tuk to his when she tumbled out of the back of the vehicle, explained Kamala Police Superintendent ML Pattanachak Jakkapan.

“We have found CCTV footage of the tuk-tuk after it had picked the pair up from Soi Bangla and started its journey to their hotel near Surin Beach,” said Col Pattanachak. “The video does not show the driver speeding or being reckless.”

Yongyuth Damkong, 44, told police that he was only going about 40km/hr as he ascended a hill between Patong and Kamala when Ms Corrigan fell out.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/No-change-tuktuk-safety-regulations/62752?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-12-30

>>We are not ignoring safety measures in the public transportation sector

Sure about that? No safety belts, no closing of openings, no specific safety tests that drivers have to undergo annually to renew their permits etc.

Safety sure could be stepped up, but it won't....................

>>We are not ignoring safety measures in the public transportation sector

Sure about that? No safety belts, no closing of openings, no specific safety tests that drivers have to undergo annually to renew their permits etc.

Safety sure could be stepped up, but it won't....................

Let's be fair......they can't improve safety when they have no idea what safety is all about......!

"Supap Pramkaew, head of the Karon tuk-tuk consortium:

"Having a gate across the entrance would not look nice. I think the customer would feel like he or she is in a pig cage."

OK then. Mind of a child.. facepalm.gif

Don't know about there but, in Bangkok they cage them up to keep the scumbag purse snatchers on motorcycles at bay.

wai2.gif

post-206952-0-58645800-1451461382_thumb.

Edited by iReason

“There will be no changes to our rules,”

...and there you go. Proof positive that in Thailand life is very cheap; zero respect...especially for a falang. Hey, TAT, you should put this in your promotions of Thailand.

The word "our" stands out.

Its their show and the rest can get stuffed.

First I was aware tuk-tuks operated to any safety regulations. Especially given Thai motorists in general don't.

The don't starts right at the issuing of the Driver license

When taking the test for the Driver license there is the Depth Perception test.

People who I know (several of them) can't see past the front of the hood of the vehicle so they have to use spectacles (glasses) which they wear when taking the Depth Perception test and the moment that test is over (specially women) the spectacles go back in their handbag (because they do not make you beautiful).When the Driver License is issued a photo of the person the Driver License concerns it shows a photo of the person without spectacles​.

I agree with them in this case. The one witness (who would presumably be sympathetic to the deceased) said that she was feeling ill from drinking and fell out of the back as she attempted to shift sides in a moving vehicle.

A seatbelt wouldn't have prevented that unless she was locked in by the driver until they reached the destination and the lack of a tailgate doesn't seem to be much of an issue in the big picture of all the 1000s of tuk-tuk rides taken by tourists daily/weekly/monthly etc.

The powers that be are right to not respond with knee-jerk regulations to one event, no matter how regrettable it may be.

Disclaimer: I dislike the tuk-tuk driver's mentality with a passion bred from years of hassle dealing with them and their stupid cartels, "business associations" or whatever other euphemistic moniker is given to the aggressive thug gangs that they are but legislation is not the correct response to a sad incident like this one

Is it not possible this woman was in the wrong trying to move around the vehicle as it negotiated steep hills and bends?

Particularly if she was highly drunk.

If she fell out of the back I do not see what could have been done, seat belts are not practical, a gate on the rear isn't either. A warning telling passengers to remain seated while moving and a review of grab handles perhaps. I may annoy the driver by remaining in my seat until the baht-bus has stopped, and we all know they are easy to annoy, but I too fear tumbling out onto the road after drinking.

The age old argument.

The west has too many rules and regulations to the point they drive lots of people nuts.

Thailand has practically no rules or regulations to the point they drive lots of people nuts.

Somewhere between the too many and not enough is perfection.

Let me know when you find that perfect place that everyone who lives or visits there agrees it is exactly the right mix of rules and "freedom".

Don;t get pissed and fall out seems to be the salient point.

Thousands use tuk tuks everyday.

One drunken woman falls, or is pushed from one, and everyone overreacts. Do some more checks on her partner...could be a similar case to the popular pattaya condo divers club.