Turbulence causes injuries on Air Canada flight

webfact

Turbulence causes injuries on Air Canada flight
By Phil Gast and Artemis Moshtaghian, CNN

(CNN)Twenty-one passengers were hospitalized after a Toronto-bound Air Canada flight from China was hit by turbulence and diverted, officials said Wednesday.

Flight AC088, which took off from Shanghai, made an unscheduled landing in Calgary at 5:23 p.m. ET.

None of the injuries -- possibly to the neck and back -- were life-threatening, said Stuart Brideaux, public education officer for the Calgary Zone EMS. Three children were transported.

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/30/world/air-canada-flight-turbulence/index.html

cnn.com.jpg
-- CNN 2015-12-31

Ineed. Seatbelt all the time and a pack of xanax or valium in my front pocket. Last time, and the only time, I hit bad turbulence was on a flight from Moscow to Bkk. Luckily I had already eaten 4 xanax to sleep so even if it was physically uncomfortable I really didn't care that much mentaly. Dangerous little pills, but can be very useful under the right circumstances!

Air Canada flight lands in Calgary after strong turbulence
CHARMAINE NORONHA, Associated Press

TORONTO (AP) — Air Canada says a flight en route from Shanghai to Toronto has been diverted to Calgary after emergency crews say heavy turbulence injured 21 passengers, including three children.

Emergency Medical Services spokesman Stuart Brideaux said Wednesday that those transported to Calgary area hospitals were in stable condition with non-life threatening neck and back injuries.

Air Canada spokeswoman Isabelle Arthur said that the Boeing 777 Air Canada flight AC088 was carrying 332 passengers and 19 crew members on Wednesday. She said the aircraft landed without incident.

Fire and other emergency crews were on hand when the plane landed.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-31

Ineed. Seatbelt all the time and a pack of xanax or valium in my front pocket. Last time, and the only time, I hit bad turbulence was on a flight from Moscow to Bkk. Luckily I had already eaten 4 xanax to sleep so even if it was physically uncomfortable I really didn't care that much mentaly. Dangerous little pills, but can be very useful under the right circumstances!

Suggest you try Dramamine with your Xanax. It's available over the counter and makes a nice cocktail for sleeping on aeroplanes. (Btw, 'h' missing from your nom we plume.)

Edited by goatfarmer

whistling.gif This is why an experienced air traveler ALWAYS keeps their seat belt fastened during a flight.

But still there are those who want to appear the cool, experienced flyer, and flick their belt off the instant the 'seat belt' sign is off.

You will pay the price eventually, and there may be no insurance cover if the flight crew have advised to keep it fastened, UNLESS you have a need to unfasten it, e.g. to go to the toilet.

Edited by F4UCorsair

You might not want to travel internationally with any valium with out a prescription.

whistling.gif This is why an experienced air traveler ALWAYS keeps their seat belt fastened during a flight.

But still there are those who want to appear the cool, experienced flyer, and flick their belt off the instant the 'seat belt' sign is off.

You will pay the price eventually, and there may be no insurance cover if the flight crew have advised to keep it fastened, UNLESS you have a need to unfasten it, e.g. to go to the toilet.

Chinese travellers often refuse to use seatbelts. I have seen one recently who laid down across 4 seats during take off and after the cabin crew had told him to buckle up. They gave up. (Thai airways) but of course this endangers other passengers in turbulence.

Walking around the cabin, shouting into phones and throwing baggage around during taxiing is also normal behaviour these days. Cabin crew used to get tough, but not these days.

The route across the Pacific is renowned for bad turbulence. They have had fatalities on that sector. I used to hate flying from Japan to Calgary for that reason.

And your source? Have flown that route for 20 years (maybe 80 or more flights) with only 2-3 instances of mild turbulence. Edited by Fookhaht

Xanax is wonderful. I take them too for flights, usually no more than 1.5 mg, but I can still only sleep in business class. If I take Xanax in coach I can only nod off fitfully even in smooth flights. Everyone's different. The pills are only dangerous if you let the dosage get out of control. One time when I was particularly, unusually exchausted, I switched the bottles with another med by accident and wound up taking 6mg Xanax. As Dr. Grant said in Jurassic Park III, "That's a very bad idea!" (I slept for 15 hours, then felt pleasantly woozy, had dinner and slept another 8 hours. Wasted an entire weekend I'd been looking forward to. My doc said What? You could have died!

I was at the Calgary airport when it landed. Heaps of emergency vehicles, ambulances and personal. Lucky there was no life threatening injuries. Good to see the emergency plans work well on Canada, not to sure how other countries would stack up.