Only themselves to blame

Snackbar

My Thai wife was asked by her employer to postpone her day off this holiday season because the Billion dollar hotel business she works at is 'busy'.

Instead of asking what's in it for me? Her and all of her colleagues said ok.

When will Thai workers stand up for themselves and say no?

Don't they realise they are being abused? And until they stand up for themselves, pay and working conditions will never change.

From a western point of view they are fools. They're getting nothing in return and clearly their employer is taking the p***.

I know plenty of "western" employees that have and would again do the same if asked of their employer.

Anyway she had a choice, so where is the abuse? She probably got paid for the extra day. Many "westerns" do overtime for no benefits.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the title of the thread and the info given in the OP, either;

1. You are outraged that the employer asked if your wife would swap a leave day at a busy time.

2. You are outraged at your wife and Co for "not realising they are being abused" and that they "only have themselves to blame"

3. You just like to be outraged at every non-troversy.

Whichever it is, Thailand probably isn't the best place for you if you are so outraged so easily.

Perhaps your wife is not suited to the Hospitality Industry.

The nature of the business is that weekends and holidays are the busiest...often requiring staff to "postpone" their holidays because of the business needs. She knew that when she started working there.

...I understand there are some great factory jobs available if that suits you her better. Less money, less favorable condition...but guaranteed hours...

So you think an employee must cancel 'their' plans because of the boss cash flow..?

That's not at all what I said.

But Hospitality is not a Monday - Friday, 9-5 job....if it was there would be no one there on the weekends, or Christmas Day or New Years Eve.

It's also random that sometimes the Hotel has unexpected peak times where staff are asked (note that word asked) if they can work at late notice.

They can decide to work, or not work, and take time off in lieu another time.

If that kind of job doesn't suit the OP's plans, then his wife can get a job with more regular hours.

It's pretty simple. What bit don't you understand?

I have known and worked with many Thai people over the years who work like this and never complain or look to blame anyone.

It is OP complaining and looking for someone to blame.

Who do we blame for that?

The OP is an example of why western society is c**p now. Everyone in it for themselves and everyone with their hand out. It's why as a rule only older people that grew up with a sense of service volunteer to help others, despite being treated like unwanted scum by the country's bureaucrats.

BTW, my wife works for a large Thai company, and I agree that the working rules lag far behind the west eg only 1 day off per week, but that's the way it is in LOS. If any woman in LOS doesn't like the working conditions, they are always able to go to Bangla and mint it for lying around.

My Thai wife was asked by her employer to postpone her day off this holiday season because the Billion dollar hotel business she works at is 'busy'.

Instead of asking what's in it for me? Her and all of her colleagues said ok.

When will Thai workers stand up for themselves and say no?

Don't they realise they are being abused? And until they stand up for themselves, pay and working conditions will never change.

From a western point of view they are fools. They're getting nothing in return and clearly their employer is taking the p***.

I know plenty of "western" employees that have and would again do the same if asked of their employer.

Anyway she had a choice, so where is the abuse? She probably got paid for the extra day. Many "westerns" do overtime for no benefits.

Many "westerns" do overtime for no benefits.

Too true. Many nurses in western hospitals do loads of unpaid overtime. I almost never got off work on time; lucky if it was only half an hour.

Think about that next time you are in hospital.

1. You are outraged that the employer asked if your wife would swap a leave day at a busy time.

2. You are outraged at your wife and Co for "not realising they are being abused" and that they "only have themselves to blame"

Whichever it is, Thailand probably isn't the best place for you if you are so outraged so easily.

Mandatory overtime for over 8 hours a day.

Mandatory 30 days sick days a year

Mandatory 30 days pay per month

Mandatory 15 paid holidays per year

Mandatory 30 days notice to terminate

Mandatory severance pay

Minimum wage has doubled in the last few years

I work for a pretty typical company compensation wise, and everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

Yes, working conditions here are hideous.

Mandatory severance pay

I work for a pretty typical company compensation wise, and everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

If that is in LOS, it applies to a miniscule number of workers. Most get NO paid overtime, though they do extra work at standard rate, no sick leave, paid only for days worked.

everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

555555555555555555555555555 What a laugh. Have you never gotten out of Bkk and talked to people in the villages and small towns where most Thais live?

15 days hols a year, my wife never seems to get that many days holiday- I'll ask her next time I phone her, 30 days notice ditto, severance pay ditto.

If you think the rice workers in Nakhon Nowhere get full minimum wage you need to get a out a bit more.

My wife is from a village in the far north east where they grow rice, so she should know. Now she works for a major Thai company.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Mandatory severance pay

Those would be your particular company work conditions, Not the Thai Labour Dept.

Mandatory severance pay

Those would be your particular company work conditions, Not the Thai Labour Dept.

They are all all labor department mandates, except for the last paragraph where I referred to bonuses specific to the company I work for.

Mandatory severance pay

If that is in LOS, it applies to a miniscule number of workers. Most get NO paid overtime, though they do extra work at standard rate, no sick leave, paid only for days worked.

everyone gets monthly bonuses and allowances, and an annual bonus of one to four months pay, this year it was 89 days pay.

555555555555555555555555555 What a laugh. Have you never gotten out of Bkk and talked to people in the villages and small towns where most Thais live?

15 days hols a year, my wife never seems to get that many days holiday- I'll ask her next time I phone her, 30 days notice ditto, severance pay ditto.

If you think the rice workers in Nakhon Nowhere get full minimum wage you need to get a out a bit more.

My wife is from a village in the far north east where they grow rice, so she should know. Now she works for a major Thai company.

I'm referring to what the law mandates, not what your poor wife earns picking rice.

Yeah nah... that is not what the law mandates.

The bonus and allowances are company specific, sick-pay, overtime, notice, severance, holidays and minimum wage are all mandated.

While there are employers that do not comply with the law, most do. If you are working people overtime, and they go to the labor department you will have to pay them. Same with severance & notice. There are exceptions, but not many.

The bonus and allowances are company specific, sick-pay, overtime, notice, severance, holidays and minimum wage are all mandated.

While there are employers that do not comply with the law, most do. If you are working people overtime, and they go to the labor department you will have to pay them. Same with severance & notice. There are exceptions, but not many.

15 days annual leave is mandated....

You have proof of that ?

You have proof of that ?

I said nothin about annual leave, I said holidays.

You have proof of that ?

ohhh ok.

So you are talking public holidays then... well that aint 15 mandated days either.

Edited by Don Mega

You have proof of that ?

ohhh ok.

So you are talking public holidays then... well that aint 15 mandated days either.

How many is it?

??

The ignorance is strong on this thread.

http://www.ilo-phuket.com/legal-documents/thai-labour-laws.html

It's actually 13 Thai holidays and not less than 6 days annual leave if the employee has worked for one year.

Bonuses are up to the individual company, and not mandated. My company paid 4 months bonus this year.

Other than the slight error on Thai holidays, Mogandave is accurate...although my company gives more than 15 days of annual holidays, so it varies by company.

If an employee is not getting these basic conditions, the labour court is very pro-employee and will help.

But listening to foreigners bitch and whine about the conditions of their wife is laughable. If it bothers you that much, give her a bigger allowance if you can afford it.