how to stay 1 year in thailand

I used to get tourist visa for double entry that lasted me 6 months and then went to venetiane to get another double entry, so my tatal stay was approx 1 year then i came back to europe and do the same process again

i am 40 yo, what are my chances now....should i move to phillipines rather or cambodia?

Edited by parafareno

You could get a multiple entry tourist visa (METV) while you are back in the EU. Every embassy and consulate seem to have their own requirements. If you are fortunate enough that there is an honorary consulate in your home country they would be the best place to apply for it. The METV allows unlimited 60 day entries for 6 months. If you do an entry just before the visa expires you can get almost 9 months of total stay from it.

• As said your best option is the new METV.

9 months from the METV plus one SETV, with extensions of stay, would give you a year.

You can still get single entry tourist visas (SETV) from Vientiane and other local embassies/consulates. There is no overall limit but embassies and consulates have their own limits so you might need to apply in different locations to get three/four back to back.

At the very least you should arrive with a SETV so you only need to get three visas locally.

but that is double entry, same as I have before.....or do I get triple entry, I am not sure.....

yes each 60 days I have to go renew to BKK immigration and get 30 days....so that is 90 days....

and then I can do the same for another 90 days so that is 180 total and I think I get another entry if I am not mistaken...so totl 9 months, but I need to play the dates right

what is this METV, I think I used that for years, it is called double entry visa right?

ok I get it it is multiple entry tourist visa, that is what I have been using for the last 8 years.....in thailand

Edited by parafareno

so basically nothing changed, you can still get double entry in Venetiane, like I got one 4 years ago, or do they issues only single entry visa?

It has changed. You can't get a double entry tourist visa in Vientiane (or anywhere) anymore. You can only get a single entry tourist visa locally to Thailand.

• The METV allows you to enter as many times as you want within 6 months.
  • Every time you enter you can stay 60 days after which you have to apply for a 30 day extension or exit and re-enter.

so how to squeeze it to 9 months?

If it lasts only 6 months?

DOes it start when you arrive to Thailand?

Because I have to apply for this visa 10 days prior coming to Thailand.....so I will already loose 10 days....or am I thinking wrong?

• The METV is valid for 6 months from the issue date. So yes you lose 10 days. Thats why ubonjoe said almost 9 months.
  • If you enter just before the end of the visas 6 months end date ('enter before') you will be granted another 60 days which can be extended by 30 days giving you almost 3 months after the visa has expired. Total almost 9 months.

ok so that is the trick, yes the last time I was in Thailand, I missed that date, so I had to go to Venetiane to get double entry....

so in worst case I can go to venetiane 2 times and get 6 months total?

if I do that every year, will it be ok? Or will I be blacklisted?

nothing changed except you need spend a night in Lao every 3 months to pick up a single entry visa.

alternate Vientiane and Savanahket to make it less boring.

border run is finished , some towns are not going to be happy.

Edited by papayasalad

and now with this METV visa, do you have to go outisde to Camboidia after 3 months? And come back to get another entry?

yes, only privilege is you can leave and enter Thailand as much as you want without losing the visa during 6 months.

an advantage for people living close of the border, but for someone who want stay in Thailand, 2 or 3 entries visa was better and cheaper.

Edited by papayasalad

cambodia is done? no more poipet visa?

It has never been possible to get a visa in Poi Pet. You can only get a new entry from a visa or a visa exempt entry there.

and now with this METV visa, do you have to go outisde to Camboidia after 3 months? And come back to get another entry?

You still need to do border run every 60 days or 90 days if you get a 30 day extension. With the METV you don't have to do the 30 day extension since the number of entries you can do is not limited.

Because I have to apply for this visa 10 days prior coming to Thailand.....so I will already loose 10 days....or am I thinking wrong?

There is well over 30 pages posted about the new METV. Have a read. All your questions will be there. Along with lot a opinion which you can skip.

There is also another running with posts from folk who have recently obtained same

• Like 2

cambodia is done? no more poipet visa?

It has never been possible to get a visa in Poi Pet. You can only get a new entry from a visa or a visa exempt entry there.

You still need to do border run every 60 days or 90 days if you get a 30 day extension. With the METV you don't have to do the 30 day extension since the number of entries you can do is not limited.
yes but 30 days extension at 1900 bahts cost less than taking a plane and cross the border.

it all depends where you live.

what is this METV, I think I used that for years, it is called double entry visa right?

ok I get it it is multiple entry tourist visa, that is what I have been using for the last 8 years.....in thailand

Multiple entry means you can exit and enter as often as you like during the life of the visa.

A two or three entry tourist visa (no longer available) would allow you no more than two or three entries (without the use of re-entry permits).

Any visa starts its countdown to expiration from the date it is issued by an embassy or consulate NOT from the day you first enter Thailand ... as was true for the double entry visas you used to get. So a METV visa is valid for six months from the day the embassy issues it.

Edited by Suradit69

Tourist visa with multiple entry are not issued after November 15. You can only get 1 entry of 60 days and extension of 30 days. In USA the cost is $40.

The new 6 months visa in us $200 replaced the multi entry tourist visa.

The new 6 month visa in us $200 is the multi entry tourist visa.

Before that there was no such thing.

• Like 1

whistling.gif All double entry and triple entry tourist visas are no longer issued since 13 November 2015.

Only Single entry tourist visas is sued now.

Also the new Multiple Entry Tourist Visa or METV.

Look very carefully at the requirements for the new METV from your local countries Thai consulate.... and see if you think it is worth getting one.

Depending on your home country some of the restrictions are pretty restrictive and expensive. Read the requirements carefully.

Then decide for yourself if the METV is worth it or not for you.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Tourist visa with multiple entry are not issued after November 15. You can only get 1 entry of 60 days and extension of 30 days. In USA the cost is $40.

You are all mixed up between double / triple

Entry and multi entry.

There previously never was a multi entry tourist visa.

• Like 1

• Although the old 2 and 3 entry tourist visa allowed more than 1 entry they were not known as multiple entry visas. They were also, sometimes, valid for 6 months.
  • The new tourist visa is known as a multiple entry tourist visa (METV).

You are maybe correct with the name. But for som of us multi is more then 1 entry. Have used it previously got 60 days at arrival extended 30, left and came back got another 60 and extended 30.

But you are correct on the name on application it say 1 entry or 2 entry.

You are maybe correct with the name. But for som of us multi is more then 1 entry. Have used it previously got 60 days at arrival extended 30, left and came back got another 60 and extended 30.

But you are correct on the name on application it say 1 entry or 2 entry.

Multi entry means you can entry as many times as you like.

That is why the new visa is called a multi entry tourist visa.

A double entry means you can only enter 2 times

• Like 2