2,140 vehicles impounded and drivers charged for drink driving

rooster59

2,140 vehicles impounded and drivers charged for drink driving

image-wpcf_551x413.jpeg

BANGKOK: The National Council for Peace and Order ( NCPO) says a total of 2,140 vehicles were impounded during the past eight days of its campaign against drink driving from December 25 - January 1.

NCPO deputy spokesperson Col Sirichan Ngathong said today that of the vehicles impounded, 1,952 are motorcycles, and 188 are cars.

During the period, she said 16,650 motorcyclists, and 6,565 drivers of public transport and private cars were charged with violation of traffic law.

Only in a single day yesterday (Jan 1), authorities found 6,091 violations of drink driving ban by motorcyclists, prompting the need to impound 740 motorcycles and charged 5,216 motorcyclists.

On Dec 31, there were 7,954 violations of the drink driving ban by motorcyclists. 665 motorcycles were impounded and 5,194 motorcyclists were charged with violating the traffic law.

Col Sirichan said authorities also found 2,667 violations of drink driving ban by drivers of public transport and private cars yesterday. Authorities have to seize driving licences of 238 drivers, impound 96 vehicles, and charged 2,242 drivers.

On Dec 31, there were 2,362 violations of the ban by vehicles for public transport and private cars. 27 cars were impounded and 2,104 drivers charged with violation of traffic law.

She said New Year celebrations last night by Thai people and tourists at several venues went on with funs and joys with no untoward incidents.

This was achieved through cooperation from the people and authorities to ensure safety during the festive season, she said and thanked all those concerned for the peaceful celebrations.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/2140-vehicles-impounded-and-drivers-charged-for-drink-driving

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-02

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good so far. They are impounding a tiny percentage of the vehicles. Why some and not others? I wonder what the total penalties are.

In the US, getting a DUI will cost you less than $20. That'll buy a 12 pack of beer, LOL. tongue.png

In the UK in the vast majority of cases it will get you a minimum 12 months driving ban, a fine, points on your license, a rise in insurance premiums, a criminal record and possibly named and shamed in the local press, if this is not your first conviction it moves up to multiple years driving bans and possibly prison time....

thousands caught for drink driving yet only a small percentage of the bikes/cars are actually seized, smells of backhanders to me. If they are drink driving all vehicles should be seized not simply some of them, its great they are actually doing something but they need to do it properly and not simply partially. If they seized all the drinkers cars/bikes then the results would be a lot better as the riders/drivers would think twice before doing it again as well as not being able to repeat it the next day. Just hope they have to pay to pick up the bikes/cars now and not get them for no cost, even bigger incentive to stop drinking and driving if it costs them more money

Good so far. They are impounding a tiny percentage of the vehicles. Why some and not others? I wonder what the total penalties are.

In the US, getting a DUI will cost you less than $20. That'll buy a 12 pack of beer, LOL. tongue.png

$20 for a DUI? It's more like 7-8,000 USD once you figure in the attorney fees, loss of license for 6 months, community service work, increase in insurance, etc. Yuck!

wai2.gif

We took taxis for new year's eve. And good thing. Even in the small back roads of Jomtien, police check points were setup. We went through one, 3 on a scooter taxi, no helmets, etc. Not stopped. Just breezed right past some 20 cops. Makes you wonder what they are really trying to do....

Those figures for drunk driving are absolutely astonishing.

Agree totally. In the UK, which has a roughly similar population as Thailand, the conviction rate for drunk driving averages about 150 per day over a year.

To have a rate measured in thousands for drunk driving arrests is both amazing and depressing for the utter contempt it shows there is for both the law and other road users.

We took taxis for new year's eve. And good thing. Even in the small back roads of Jomtien, police check points were setup. We went through one, 3 on a scooter taxi, no helmets, etc. Not stopped. Just breezed right past some 20 cops. Makes you wonder what they are really trying to do....

Things would be different should the three be foreigners...

Those figures for drunk driving are absolutely astonishing.

Yes indeed. It appears that 90% of those caught were poor folks driving on two wheels. It would indeed be astonishing other than that is the norm here. Don't get me wrong, it is good that at least they are enforcing the drunk driving laws. But clearly we see again that the BIB target the poor, just like the emphasis on helmet laws rather than speeding and other poor driving behaviors.

Must be a different U.S. than I grew up in. Getting a DUI incurs a serious fine, possibly suspension of license, higher insurance costs, etc.

I think the high percentage of motorbikes impounded correlates closely with the fact that over 80% of all road accidents and fatalities involve motorcycles.

Uncontrolled, unlicensed and uninsured motorcyclists are the most important problems to resolve in Thailand's endless vehicular carnage.

In the UK in the vast majority of cases it will get you a minimum 12 months driving ban, a fine, points on your license, a rise in insurance premiums, a criminal record and possibly named and shamed in the local press, if this is not your first conviction it moves up to multiple years driving bans and possibly prison time....

12 months is a mandatory minimum, normally 18 months for first offence, but then the limit is higher than most countries.

What's the law on drink driving in England and Wales?

In England and Wales, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or 107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine.

In most other European countries, the limit is less, usually 50 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood.

What is the drink driving limit in Scotland?

On December 5th 2014 the alcohol limit for drivers in Scotland reduced from 80 milligrams of alcohol in every 100 millilitres of blood to 50 milligrams of alcohol in every 100 millilitres of blood.

The breath alcohol equivalent reduced from 35 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath to 22 micrograms of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath.

The Scottish Government say they have changed their drink drive limit to bring Scotland in line with most other European countries, to save lives and make Scotland’s roads safer.

I expect the UK government will follow suit, (I expect the SNP will vote against).

If you read the Thai law then you would be chocked, if you have more than .05% alcohol in your system then you can get up to 6 months in prison and/or 60,000 Baht fine so it's a little more than the $20 you talk about... A friend of mine had an accident, he was drunk and crashed his car in to a tree, he had to pay 50,000 in fine but the judge spared from prison as he had to spend 3 weeks in hospital.

Edited by Kasset Tak

NeverSure, on 02 Jan 2016 - 14:52, said:

In the USA, you will find a DUI will cost you several hundreds of dollars in fines, more if you get a lawyer , along with higher can insurance rates. Usually the judge will require you to do 50-100 hours of community service...That's for the first offence...It get much worst on your second offence...

Unless of course, you are an untouchable. whistling.gif

"Traffic police have been ordered to memorize the license plates and faces of their superiors after Bangkok's police chief complained yesterday that he was asked to take a breathalyzer test despite his insistence that he was not intoxicated."

“Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticize them,” he told reporters yesterday. wai2.gif

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437029021

Must be a different U.S. than I grew up in. Getting a DUI incurs a serious fine, possibly suspension of license, higher insurance costs, etc.

I've seen people thrown in jail for DUI I think "Never Sure" must be drunk

"Traffic police have been ordered to memorize the license plates and faces of their superiors after Bangkok's police chief complained yesterday that he was asked to take a breathalyzer test despite his insistence that he was not intoxicated."

“Eventually, I had to tell them who I was and get out of my car and criticize them,” he told reporters yesterday. wai2.gif

Absolutely classic!!

This statement tells you everything you need to know about life in Thailand and epitomizes Thainess....

The fact this fella is so proud of his actions that he wants to tell the world speaks volumes about the mentality of the Hi-So's, crazy really....

I would find these figures impressive if they were for one day only, not eight. Or, if they were for one province, not the entire country As it is, it is just a small drop in a very large bucket, it will take a lot more than these figures to impress me. And they will have to continue it for another 355 days. THEN, I will be impressed. coffee1.gif

In America, all the "superior" would have had to do was flash his/her badge/ID. So simple. These people seem to have to make it complicated. facepalm.gifcrazy.gifcoffee1.gif