Property ownership question

robkey69

Just a quick question....I'm not a Thai citizen but my wife of 20 years and our 11 year old daughter are. We live in a foreign country but my wife has a house in Thailand which she stays in for about a month every year...Yea I know I can't individually own a house in Thailand...

My question is if my wife dies does the house go to our daughter? I'm not to worried about myself as I'll probably kick the bucket before she does....but I really don't want my wives grubby family to get their hands on it.

Any info would be helpful....

Never hurts to have a Will.....

You know Thai women....pretty selfish...they wouldn't want anyone to get their money or property not even their daughter... and especially not a farlang

I blame it on the way the Thai family view women...My wife's mother pretty much made all the girls finance their brother for years.....from cars to condos...while they chased women and drank and played golf.....All this gave my wife a case of not trusting anyone and being selfish.

If the property owner dies the property passes to next of kin.

In the event that that is you then you will be given a year to sell as you cannot own landed property outright (although you can own the house separately from the land but is not easy to do, especially after the house has been built). However, in some cases the authorities are not hard on enforcing the 1 year rule.

If your wife dies after you then the daughter would be next of kin, but if the daughter is under 21 then the property must be held and administered in a trust until she reaches that age. This can become tricky if it is a family member with not so good intentions is administering the trust.

Suggest you advise your wife to create a will that clearly define her wishes as far as the property is concerned, a simple visit to a lawyer would be to your benefit.

Never hurts to have a Will.....

You know Thai women....pretty selfish...they wouldn't want anyone to get their money or property not even their daughter... and especially not a farlang

I blame it on the way the Thai family view women...My wife's mother pretty much made all the girls finance their brother for years.....from cars to condos...while they chased women and drank and played golf.....All this gave my wife a case of not trusting anyone and being selfish.

sound like your not trusting anyone and being selfish.

would a solution in the future be, to put the house in your daughters name , when able to do so. depends on how soon you intend to peg out.

Both of you should have a will in Thailand, specifying that the daughter gets everything, since if you should both die in a car accident, there are going to be some Thai relatives coming out of the woodwork trying to get their "share" and you can name a foreigner to be the executor if there is no Thai your or your wife trusts