Prayut prefers to seize licences from drunk drivers

webfact

Indeed it's not fair to impound the vehicle. It's not the vehicles fault. Think about.

A fine of 400 Baht and a free sticker "Don't drink and drive" would be enough.

Better to name and shame all drunk drivers. Put all their ugly mugs on a website for everyone to see.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Gutterboy. The problem could be well on the way to solving if they actually tried to enforce existing laws and upgrade them as well. For drink driving over the limit of 0,05 impound the vehicle, send the culprit to the police station. (In Australia they have what we call booze buses at the checkpoints which take about 10 or 15 at a time to the station). At the station confiscate their license for 6 months and fine them 10.000 baht. Second offence 3 months jail and permanent loss of license. If those who are caught don't have a license, 3 months jail and 100,000 baht fine which can be paid off over a period of time depending on the income of the person. Have all check points under cctv coverage and breath anaylsis digitly recorded back to a central monitor.

Another procedure that could be adopted is recording by cctv cameras cars violating red lights and speeding.

These laws would be harsh on low income families with only one driver but that is better than killing people.

When Australia got the booze bus scheme under way in each state, the drop i road fatalities was dramatic. No Hi-so bribery, as tigermoth says, it's off to the police station for accurate testing of the alcohol level, and tough punishment.

Before the Nanny State doomsayers jump in, let me remind you that in some Scandinavian countries, drunk driving is an automatic jail sentence!

Indeed it's not fair to impound the vehicle. It's not the vehicles fault. Think about.

A fine of 400 Baht and a free sticker "Don't drink and drive" would be enough.

Better to name and shame all drunk drivers. Put all their ugly mugs on a website for everyone to see.

No, that don't work.

https://globalvoices.org/2013/04/23/thailand-photos-of-drunk-drivers-posted-on-facebook/

I agree with Gutterboy. The problem could be well on the way to solving if they actually tried to enforce existing laws and upgrade them as well. For drink driving over the limit of 0,05 impound the vehicle, send the culprit to the police station. (In Australia they have what we call booze buses at the checkpoints which take about 10 or 15 at a time to the station). At the station confiscate their license for 6 months and fine them 10.000 baht. Second offence 3 months jail and permanent loss of license. If those who are caught don't have a license, 3 months jail and 100,000 baht fine which can be paid off over a period of time depending on the income of the person. Have all check points under cctv coverage and breath anaylsis digitly recorded back to a central monitor.

Another procedure that could be adopted is recording by cctv cameras cars violating red lights and speeding.

These laws would be harsh on low income families with only one driver but that is better than killing people.

So just like other countries and nationalities, lets change Thailand into a "NANNY State" (like where we came from?). Why stay here? Why not just go home?

You can't buy land. too difficult to get residency, belong to a different pricing structure...... etc.

Not condoning drink driving, and there should be limits and the law should be upheld (which is the real problem). Make the penalties a deterrent, sure but I do think different people react differently to alcohol and a sobriety test is the ONLY real way of finding out, not BAC. IMHO

I do not think expressing concern for saving lives " any lives " is consider a Nanny State! Whatever way people want to conclude the stats Thailand is basically as close to being Number #1 in world for accidents and drinking and driving and killing people is one of them. That is a huge difference compare to buying land and being a resident.

Remember. we as foreigners weren't the one's to evoke Article 44, The Thai leaders did and it would assume doing so they understand there is a problem?

So you think life means anything here? That's all up to Buddha!! I would suggest that the drink driving is the smaller reason for accidents, not having a license (not one of the girls I have been with has EVER had a license ... until I insisted on it). But did they mess their hair up with a helmet...NEVER, license or no license!! That may be a considerable contributing factor in road fatalities in this country. An "ice cream bucket" doesn't work!!

how about using "Article 44" to make the laws already in place enforced, and on an equal and fair basis, do you think that would help?

Why is it up to the police to decide what the penalty should be? Isn't (shouldn't) that be up to the courts, to decide ? This is why they get away with corruption and bribery!! Their job is to apply and enforce, not decide penalties and whether they think you are guilty, or not... IMO!!

So just like other countries and nationalities, lets change Thailand into a "NANNY State" (like where we came from?). Why stay here? Why not just go home?

You can't buy land. too difficult to get residency, belong to a different pricing structure...... etc.

Not condoning drink driving, and there should be limits and the law should be upheld (which is the real problem). Make the penalties a deterrent, sure but I do think different people react differently to alcohol and a sobriety test is the ONLY real way of finding out, not BAC. IMHO

'... I do think different people react differently to alcohol ...' You mean, for the same quantity of alcohol, they are at different levels of being pissed? Hence, it might take one longer than another to find a pedestrian to run over. The idea is simple: drink, don't drive; drive, don't drink. It gets complicated by those who think they are different; and regretted by those who end up the victims of such arrogant assumptions.

Yep, different people react and perform differently to similar quantities of Alcohol. I was convicted (not by much) for 2 "Gold" (mid strength) beers once, there was no way I was incapable of driving!! But my BAC (according to a machine, which had knobs to set and calibrate it). not because I was a danger!! I have seen the other side of it too where some people are incapable of co-ordination on small amounts of alcohol. Everyone is different and I guess to some degree it depends on how regularly and how much you drink (everyday). They still use sobriety tests in some States in the US (I believe) for that reason. It's not so much what your BAC is but how you react..... I am sure they could put you in front of a computer these days and test reaction time etc, Without too much of an effort. Alcohol has a different absorption rate in different people too...

I live here because I can get away with things I would not think of doing back home, people need to be responsible for their actions, oh that's right there is no word for that in Thai, it's all up to Buddha.....

Fines, or penalties should be a detterent, you don't keep them low because people can't afford it!!! That's the whole idea. make life hard for them, it's a punishment!! But I think we have digressed a little, the majority of these people are Thai not Farang, it just costs Farang more, 2 tier pricing.....

It would probably only happen once if it was a cost hardship. And sadly it is often the low income earners who are the more prolific offenders. Daily!

A drunk can drive a car if they don't take it away from. Take his licence away and he can still drive his car. Sometimes I have to wonder about the logic in people's thoughts when they make the rules. Take the car and impose a fine of about 10,ooo bhat to get it back. Same with motorbikes.

'Under the NCPO’s order, lawbreakers are required to attend a behavior adjustment program for 7-15 days.' A better approach (hence one that won't ever happen) would be to go back to the beginning: they retake the driving exam; only this time, one that does actually test their driving ability - or not - and knowledge to an acceptable level. Preferably conducted by examiners who are, themselves, properly qualified.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

Simple answer is, If a driver does not have a licence, impound his vehicle and fine them 5,000B

If he has been band from driving throw him in the cells and let the courts decide their fate.

If a driver fails a breath test cancel his licence there and then, as he can not drive impound his vehicle and make them attend court where a judge or tribunal will decide how long the driving ban will be and and an appropriate fine, only after the fines are paid will the courts release the vehicle to a suitably licenced driver.

At present taking someone licences off them (if they actually have one), where the penalty for driving without a licence is laughable is no deterrent.

Edited by Basil B

But it wasn't a successful campaign…more people died this year than last. Furthermore the claim that drunk driving arrests were down by half is evidence that thr campaign is working is totally stupid. Drink driving arrests could be down because the police didn't make the arrests.

Taking people's driving licenses won;t stop drink driving…if you drink and drive with a license, you will also drink and drive without one.

The government seem unable to analyse any sort of data.

'We might have to return the vehicles and seize the driver's licences instead, so they can't go out and drink-drive again," he said.'

So, taking away driver licenses will stop them from driving? Give me a break.

In most states in the U.S. a first time DUI (driving under the influence) conviction causes the suspension of the license for EVERYTHING except getting to work. If you are stopped for any reason and you are not going or coming to work, the license is gone and you take public transportation or have someone take you. In addition, you have to go to driving school to learn about effects of booze on driving. If there the person is an alcoholic, they must go to treatment for this disease. Finally, the person must work free in "community service" at night or when they are not working for 90 days.

The about is for the first time. It gets much worse if a person gets caught a second time, including going to jail for 3-6 months. The penalties for drunk driving are automatic. The question of causing a hardship is NOT taken into account. It is not the police or the courts that caused the person's hardship; it was the person who decided to drink and drive a vehicle.

Now that Prayut has deemed it neccessary under article 44 to carry on with the purge on drink drivers, his real task has started.

He now faces an uphill struggle to actually mobilise the BIB to enforce his mandate.

Egg on face to come me thinks

I do not think expressing concern for saving lives " any lives " is consider a Nanny State! Whatever way people want to conclude the stats Thailand is basically as close to being Number #1 in world for accidents and drinking and driving and killing people is one of them. That is a huge difference compare to buying land and being a resident.

Remember. we as foreigners weren't the one's to evoke Article 44, The Thai leaders did and it would assume doing so they understand there is a problem?

So you think life means anything here? That's all up to Buddha!! I would suggest that the drink driving is the smaller reason for accidents, not having a license (not one of the girls I have been with has EVER had a license ... until I insisted on it). But did they mess their hair up with a helmet...NEVER, license or no license!! That may be a considerable contributing factor in road fatalities in this country. An "ice cream bucket" doesn't work!!

how about using "Article 44" to make the laws already in place enforced, and on an equal and fair basis, do you think that would help?

Why is it up to the police to decide what the penalty should be? Isn't (shouldn't) that be up to the courts, to decide ? This is why they get away with corruption and bribery!! Their job is to apply and enforce, not decide penalties and whether they think you are guilty, or not... IMO!!

Yes, I think life means something here! Although the majority of lives are Thai, just reading this forum each day will tell you there are many non-Thais dying especially tourist.

Yes, driving after you been drinking is just a small part of the problem here with driving. It is not rocket science. From my own experience whether they have a license or not accept from the violation of the law what is the really difference? They seem in general to drive all the same whether they have one or not?

As for Article 44, the times it has already been evoked there are already laws on the books but not enforced, as I noted earlier " each time it has been evoked it is like saying the BIB haven't been doing their job " Do I think that would help? No really, because here it seems to be all " show and tell " after the holiday it will go back to the same. The next time they will care again is Songkran, Solving the problem is 24/7 not just on holiday but I guess in theory one car seize is one less accident to the driver or others.

What is up with the police, Thailand isn't any different.. it starts with boots on the ground.. when it comes to drunk drivers it should be up to the courts, the only thing the police should do is make out the report and provide the case and evidence for it to proceed to the courts. But have you been to a Thai court, I have...there is not much different. These judges are doing the same thing coming from the same culture of learning. I just came back from a court case regarding a Thai man beating his girlfriend ( not the first time ) the judge again basically didn't apply the law and set him free? Even one of the Thai prosecutors, said after, if you want this taken care of properly the old fashion Thai way give him a call. I did, it was done quickly and end of story.

So let me get this straight...they impounded vehicles, fined drivers, put some drivers in jail and still, there were more road deaths this year around New Years, than the year before, when they did (almost) nothing.

Everytime, Thailand tries to copy the West, with law enforcement strategies, it backfires on them. Thailand used to have a prosperous hemp industry, until they bought into the US rhetoric about the "War on Drugs", burned all the fields and put 10s of thousands of people out of work, who used to live from hemp production and production of hemp products, like clothing, etc.

Meanwhile, a few years later, ,some States in the US legalized Marijuana and are making huge profits on taxes and less cost on crime prevention and incarceration.

I see the same thing with drinking and driving....

There are over 7 Billion people on this planet. over 82 million of them live in Thailand. Yes, some will die, due to drunk drivers, but that is a very small minority. More people die everyday, because people are stupid or don't know how to drive. They don't even know how to cross the road, when they are walking. I had people run out right in front of me before, in daylight.

Too many deaths get blamed on drunk driving and there are too many sheep, who just repeat anything they hear. The accident, I almost died from, back in 1990, I was sober. The 62 year old woman who was driving the car that cut me off, was sober. When my wife got cut off on her bike a few months ago and ended up in the hospital, she was sober. The stupid Bi&%h who cut her off, was sober, too, Texting while she was driving.

Just try to use your brain for a moment and think about any accidents you or people you know had. Were they drunk or sober?

Organizations like MADD, get millions of dollars in funding every year, which they use to brainwash the public. It makes me sick, when I think about it.

For example, if you are 0.5, in Canada, you are over the limit. That, for the average person, is one small beer. They will take your license for 90 days, seize your car for three month plus a fine and your insurance goes up. For having one small beer??? Grow up people. Quit letting everyone take away your freedoms and rights.

When I was young, we would drive to the pub, have a few beers and some food, listen to some live music or watch a hockey game and drive home. Today, if I did that, I would be considered a criminal, if caught.

I don't want Thailand to be a clone of the "political correct moral minority". I moved here, because when I got here in 2000, things were the way I liked them. It was like going back 50 years in time and it was great. Now, every year, they are introducing more Bullsh*t laws, copied from the West.

In Canada, they even take away your drivers license (if you have one), if you ride your bicycle drunk. Now where is the logic in that.

We are becoming a world of conditioned, brainwashed slaves, who are expected to be happy to live on next to nothing, working for people and Corporations who are filthy rich. We are trained to be peaceful, not to make waves and to think positive. As soon as you give someone a little dose of reality, the first thing they will say is.... "ohh, you are so negative". That or they will try to medicate you, telling you there is something wrong with you. There is nothing wrong with you, BUT there is plenty wrong with society.

The real hypocracy over here is, that the people making the drinking and driving laws are not even affected by them, because they all have their chaffeurs and motorcades to drive them around. They have lost touch with the reality of the average working person in this country....

The husband and wife, who work from the time the sun rises, until it sets in the fields. Sweating all day in the sun. They work all their lives but go nowwhere. They never get ahead. They will most likely be in debt all their lives. Then, when the husband stops for a few drinks (gongs) on the way home, to ease his physical and mental pain, he gets stopped by the police and gets a 20000 Baht fine for drinking and driving or his only mode of transportation taken away.

It is sad to see, what we have become. A bunch of people scared of their own shadows.

Now that Prayut has deemed it neccessary under article 44 to carry on with the purge on drink drivers, his real task has started.

He now faces an uphill struggle to actually mobilise the BIB to enforce his mandate.

Egg on face to come me thinks

Meanwhile, the BIB are licking their chops at the tea money opportunities.

The headline: i before e comes to mind.

Why introduce the subject of spelling into a serious discussion?

You must be referring to the word 'seize' when you say " ... i before e ...".

It mightn't be so bad if you were correct in your criticism of the spelling.

Edited by MartinL