Saudi-Iran row deepens as calls for restraint grow

webfact

Saudi-Iran row deepens as calls for restraint grow

606x341_320343.jpg

PARIS: -- The rift between Saudi Arabia and Iran over the Sunni kingdom’s execution of a Shia cleric widened as Riyadh halted trade and travel ties on top of cutting diplomatic links on Monday.

Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir has blamed Iranian aggression for rising tensions saying things would only improve when Tehran acted like a normal country.

“We will also be cutting off all air traffic to and from Iran. We will be cutting off all commercial relations with Iran and we will have a travel ban against people travelling to Iran.”

Fears that the sectarian divide between the two Middle East powers might exacerbate other regional conflicts grew when Shia-ruled Iran’s Vice President Eshaq Jahangiri accused Riyadh of “assisting terrorists in Iraq and Syria”.

“I advise the Saudis to give up these acts of sabotage and illogical, hasty and emotional measures which are the result of mismanagement because they will be the one who will be harmed by severing ties with Iran.”

Washington meanwhile which is growing more anxious as it watches from the sidelines has called on both sides to de-escalate the situation.

“We are urging all sides to show some restraint and to not further inflame tensions that are on quite vivid display in the region,” said spokesman Josh Earnest.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-05

This is the tinder box that will guarantee the whole M.E. stays screwed forever.

So what else is new? coffee1.gif

In fact it might hasten some even crazier shit.....its worrying.....almost feels like someones moving chess pieces.....first you get all the superpowers involved in syria....next you get a huge shia sunni standoff....what next?

This is the tinder box that will guarantee the whole M.E. stays screwed forever.

In fact it might hasten some even crazier shit.....its worrying.....almost feels like someones moving chess pieces.....first you get all the superpowers involved in syria....next you get a huge shia sunni standoff....what next?

Tactical nukes.

If I have to chose between Iran and Saudi Arabia I would certainly chose Iran.

Comparing Iran to the Saudi's is like comparing the Persians against the fanatics.

Shia Islam is much more peaceful as their Sunni brothers that created AQ and ISIS.

Let the show begin as I put my money on Persia.

The Saudi can't even win against the Huttu's in Yemen and they should be careful about Iran. Iraq was backed by the West in the Iraq - Iran war and they couldn't win against the Persians.

It is just a matter of time before the house of Saud will fall and that will be the end of terrorism.

And it happened by chance....right?

For once it seems the Muslim world has a bigger problem to deal with than Israel. While some there are probably taking a small sigh of relief, the threat is perhaps larger than ever. Once passions are inflamed and religious fervour takes over, all it would take is a small nudge to set things ablaze. Right now calmer heads prevail (more or less) and while some would gleefully cheer an Iran/Saudi conflict, it is something that would draw in literally the entire Middle East as well as a large hunk of Africa and other nations.

At some point, someone would try to provoke an Israeli response as the ultimate goal of most in that region is still the annihilation of the Jews (note I said "Jews", not "Israelis"). That would of course draw in other nations.

Back in the 80s while the Cold War was still a thing, one WW III scenario that was popular was of a conflict not between the USSR and NATO/USA, but of a smaller conflict in a different area. Something like Syria (or at the time, Yugoslavia). Two sides start a fight, the West backs one side, the Soviets the other. One of them starts sending support. The other sends "advisers". Eventually it leads up to the 2 superpowers confronting each other on the battle field while the original conflict is forgotten about.

We've seen hints of that in Syria already but fortunately the West was a bit more cautious when it came to supporting the so called "rebels". Russia was already supporting the government and their support has lead to direct involvement while the West has turned most of it's attention to the ISIS situation. Even China is involved (though you'd hardly know it from what little coverage there is of their activities). Most of the major nations are now involved militarily to some degree or another and (obviously) they don't all have the same goals.

Remember that WW I started with a single gunshot. There was a lot going on leading up to that point but all it took to kick things off was a single shot.

I fully agree with Kerryd on this. The divisions will be huge, but primarily Shia/Sunni rather than geopolitical, but there are a lot of bit players that are going to get caught up in it.

I don't think Obama is willing to get deeply involved. But there will have to be a level of involvement to keep the oil moving out of the region and without that oil, much of the world economy is going to go pear shaped. The US has oil, but much of the rest of the world is dependent on ME oil.

If there is an attack on Israel, then the US will come to their assistance.

An extremely volatile situation.