Pulled aside at immigration airport for questioning

There must be a story behind which is not told by the OP.

Money laundering suspicion sounds likely.

Maybe there is a (farang) informer/"squealer"/competitor with a strained relation to the OP?

Large (seven digit) cash deposits? Could trigger an automatic report mechanism by AMLO.

And when you are on watchlist then police (which immigration is part of) will quickly know about your assets.

Just today walked past a Bangkok Bank micro branch in the shopping centre and seein a poster ot the anti money laundering office (AMLO) in Thai language.

http://www.amlo.go.th/amlofarm/farm/en/index.php?lang=en

(English site is quite useless/buggy wink.png )

So, why do you have so much money in Thai bank accounts ?

If you'd ask me: because I live here and not nervously want to watch the collapse of the Euro.

Proofed a good decision over the last years.

Never been asked anything.

With the laughable some millions I am surely not a richman in smalltown.

The local electronics/homeware dealer changes between Porsche 9xx and Ferrari.

And behind the back there is rumor that there must be another source of wealth whistling.gif

Edited by KhunBENQ

There must be a story behind which is not told by the OP.

Money laundering suspicion sounds likely.

Maybe there is a (farang) informer/"squealer"/competitor with a strained relation to the OP?

Large (seven digit) cash deposits? Could trigger an automatic report mechanism by AMLO.

And when you are on watchlist then police (which immigration is part of) will quickly know about your assets.

Just today walked past a Bangkok Bank micro branch in the shopping centre and seein a poster ot the anti money laundering office (AMLO) in Thai language.

http://www.amlo.go.th/amlofarm/farm/en/index.php?lang=en

(English site is quite useless/buggy wink.png )

So, why do you have so much money in Thai bank accounts ?

If you'd ask me: because I live here and not nervously want to watch the collapse of the Euro.

Proofed a good decision over the last years.

Never been asked anything.

With the laughable some millions I am surely not a richman in smalltown.

The local electronics/homeware dealer changes between Porsche 9xx and Ferrari.

And behind the back there is rumor that there must be another source of wealth whistling.gif

Nice story bro ...

BTW, collapse of the Euro. I'm afraid you are going to wait long time for that and also I don't think THB is the best choice out there for safe and long term investment. Stop watching Russia Today and you will be all right.

Good luck

And how would immigration know, that you would be passing through Don Muang at that exact time, so your balances of your accounts were pre printed??

Regardless of whether the OP is a troll or not, I'm sure that immigration do know the names, nationalities and passport numbers of everyone on every incoming flight long before they arrive here, just as UK and US immigration knows the same info for incoming flights into their countries.

Whether they have the inclination to act on that is another matter. Getting bank balances would not be very hard if there was some prior suspicion.

And how would immigration know, that you would be passing through Don Muang at that exact time, so your balances of your accounts were pre printed??

You must be joking !! Twice I have been arrested back in the UK after leaving aircraft after flying in from Thailand... Both times UK Police knew my whereabouts and Boarding activity from ID/Passport...... What possible reason do you believe the Thais cant repeat the same scenario !

You must be joking !! Twice I have been arrested back in the UK after leaving aircraft after flying in from Thailand... Both times UK Police knew my whereabouts and Boarding activity from ID/Passport...... What possible reason do you believe the Thais cant repeat the same scenario !

Unless you are a wanted criminal, what other reason could the police/immigration for following your moves??

Not something that happens to the average traveller................coffee1.gif

Unless you are a wanted criminal, what other reason could the police/immigration for following your moves??

Once was a very minor incident with many crossed wires and I was "de-arrested" at the Airport. No further issues

First time was not so minor I will admit.

The point of the post was to make people realise they are being tracked all the time. In my case on both times Immigration provided the details I was out of the UK and immediately informed the Police the minute I checked in for both flights home. Met at Airport.

Now Thailands finest are not exactly the Sweeney but nor are they the Keystone Cops...... All the Agencies collate information Revenue, Immigration, Police, Customs, etc etc 24/7 you better believe it. The reason that the vast amount of cross border petty crime is ignored is simply lack of manpower

Edited by Chivas

Once was a very minor incident with many crossed wires and I was "de-arrested" at the Airport. No further issues

First time was not so minor I will admit.

The point of the post was to make people realise they are being tracked all the time. In my case on both times Immigration provided the details I was out of the UK and immediately informed the Police the minute I checked in for both flights home. Met at Airport.

Now Thailands finest are not exactly the Sweeney but nor are they the Keystone Cops...... All the Agencies collate information Revenue, Immigration, Police, Customs, etc etc 24/7 you better believe it. The reason that the vast amount of cross border petty crime is ignored is simply lack of manpower

Sounds like you're a "person of interest".

>>Immigration was curious to know why I had so much in my bank accounts in Thailand. They had the balances of all my accounts printed out. << Quote from the OP

Nice try, Mr Troll !! Change username, and try again........................coffee1.gif

Obviously they printed them while I was waiting to be questioned. U really can't be that smart to figure it out? U sound not so smart to have much money in your account anyway. You have nothing to worry about.

To the others who say immigration don't have access to your bank accounts, You are wrong. They showed me how much I had in every account under my name, most likely linked by the passport number.

Edited by shina

>>Immigration was curious to know why I had so much in my bank accounts in Thailand. They had the balances of all my accounts printed out. << Quote from the OP

Nice try, Mr Troll !! Change username, and try again........................coffee1.gif

Obviously they printed them while I was waiting to be questioned. U really can't be that smart to figure it out? U sound not so smart to have much money in your account anyway. You have nothing to worry about.

To the others who say immigration don't have access to your bank accounts, You are wrong. They showed me how much I had in every account under my name, most likely linked by the passport number.

if bank balances can be that easily printed out then can you please explain why does the same immigration Department force retirement Visa applicants to obtain a letter from their bank showing their bank balance at the date of application when according to you it's already at their fingertips at the press of a button?blink.png

I think I know the obvious answer of this one.

Not all farangs are "persons of interest". These statements should only be obtained this easily in some special cases, in suspicion of any wrong doing (money laundry etc.), probably with consent from a court.

Visa applicants are not in this category, I would think.

Edited by thaibreaker

Out of curiosity, how much is "a lot" anyway?

I have around 3MB here and no one has ever asked me anything about it, nor do I expect them to.

Probably coz it's not alot.

Indeed. I dont call it a lot either, though some would. Hence my question.

Haha referring back to me any of the Agencies can obtain it with Courts consent. Thailand exactly the same

I doubt it.

You're having a larf !!! Course they can and will and do !! Naivety in the extreme

On a side note, when I visit the country the little customs form or TM something asks what my income is. While I understand a country wanting to collect such information as it may help define some tourist policies or whatever, I see no reason to tell a lot of people that may have access to such information that one is worth or makes a lot of money. It seems like that could make targeting a person of means a bit easier.