Building a house-Advice needed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gave my Thai GF 600,000 baht ...........

Madness!

I look at it this way,

That would buy 1 'VIP Shower' a week for 7 years.

Possibly my values are different to yours.......

You would enjoy a "VIP shower" with a complete stranger and wearing a condom?

I'm beginning to think you are schizophrenic. Sometimes your posts are very sensible, other times it's <deleted>?facepalm.gif

I did a similar thing 10 years ago for my wife's family.
We ripped the old house down (was ready to fall down anyway), re-used some of the lumber, and built a new one in it's place.
I designed the house, and bought all the materials myself.
I was on the job site 90% of the time.
The 10% that I wasn't, was when things got screwed up.
The whole thing (100 sq mt) cost me about 250,000 baht.
That was 10 years ago, I imagine it would be a lot more expensive now.
I'm happy with the outcome although her parents have since died and he brother lives in it now.
But, we have a nice place to stay when we go up there. (once a year maybe?)

I'm not sorry I did it.

Was a good gesture on my part, and a learning experience all around>
I am still friends with some of the builders that I met through this.

In fact, they're my favorite people up in Issan.

I never expected it to be mine, and don't want to live there anyway.
but, you never know, and someday I could.

so, only you know your situation and most on here seem to expect the worst.
Life isn't always as bad as they tell you it will be.

I'm beginning to think you are schizophrenic. Sometimes your posts are very sensible, other times it's <deleted>?facepalm.gif

I don't think I've ever posted throwing money away is a good idea.

Which is effectively what building in a rural Thai village is doing.

Even the villagers wouldn't live there if they had a choice.

Any building there is valueless because,

No work, no money, no school, no medical, no roads, no buyers, no hope.

Now if you had posted, 'I gave her 600,000bht to build on her family land in Chiang Mai'

That would be a completely different matter, as it would benefit her and her children.

That property would have resale value, decent schools for her kids, good hospitals, good infrastructure & employment opportunities.

Now if you had posted, 'I gave her 600,000bht to build on her family land in Chiang Mai'

That would be a completely different matter, as it would benefit her and her children.

That property would have resale value, decent schools for her kids, good hospitals, good infrastructure & employment opportunities.

From experience, I totally agree with all of this.

Just how many erroneous conclusions can a person jump to in a single post? You might be setting a record here.

The village has a large school and a hospital. Paved roads, a market, shops, large hardware store, and restaurants. And a temple, of course. A haircut and beard trim costs me 50 baht, not that the barber has to work hard. Water, electricity and internet. Satellite TV.

I go there to relax when I feel like a break from CM. My Thai GF loves spoiling me. Think she beats VIP showers hands down.

Blocks of land there have great views. 10 years ago, you could buy a house block for 20,000 baht. Now, it's between 200,000 and 300,000 baht.

The village is surrounded by rice fields, plenty of work. Some of the men commute to Chiang Rai or to Pan on building construction.

As far as I'm concerned, it's money well spent. We can agree to disagree. Enough said.

If i was you i would do some resurrect on this site Some scary story's about. Take care of your Four children , if you cannot afford to look after them and build a house , don't do it, look after your four children . also you would never own the land or house ,

Hocuspocus: If you want to take care of everyone and not disinherit your children have you considered placing your savings into a trust to the benefit of your children. If the trust invests wisely the amount will grow. If you do this at least 7 years before you die your children will inherit free of inheritance tax. Then you can give the interest from the trust as income to your wife during her life time. This way everybody wins and everyone is protected.

Depending on the amount of your savings you could take a loan for your share of the house and pay off the loan with the interest from the trust. There are many workable combinations but they will depend on the amount of your savings. Wish you good luck.

You simply haven't known her long enough..

Have known her for 6 years - how many years is enough for you?

I think huawei's post was meant for the OP, it is his thread after all.......................................coffee1.gif

You simply haven't known her long enough..

Have known her for 6 years - how many years is enough for you?

I think huawei's post was meant for the OP, it is his thread after all.......................................coffee1.gif

You've brought into play one of my favourite expressions - "You may be right".

Building a house in village on Thai-family land, you cannot consider as your house, even you make a lease agreement and as foreigner can own a house. Contracts between husband and wife may not be legal in Thai court; and you probably never wish to stay in the house, if something goes wrong; and the house will represent no re-sale value for you. In case of divorce you may be entitled to half of the value of the house and perhaps land, if transferred to your wife’s name.

Concerning Last Will, to my knowledge, a Thai Will shall follow Thai Law and is handled by Thai Court, and foreign Will shall follow the Law in your homeland, UK; so wise to separate – if in accordance with UK Law – that your estate in UK shall only be inherit by your four children there, and let your Thai estate be inherit by your Thai wife only, so you avoid having a Thai Court handle foreign UK inheritance, and UK Court handle Thai a heir. Then you shall yourself arrange to split that 80% of your wealth remain in UK; and 20% – or whatever you wish to leave to your wife, including your share of the village house – moved into Thailand.

A village house can be extremely important for the Thai spouse for many reasons – even you may choose to live together somewhere else – so it shall not be considered as “don’t” only. However, regard it as spouse’s property, and not your investment or common property. Never put more financials into it, than you can afford to walk away from (loose), as other posters have already mentioned.

Wish you good luck with your house project...smile.png

OP - just curious about your four children back in the UK. Do they work? Or are they all living on SS waiting for you to die and get your money? serious question. I never, ever wanted any of my parents money and now that I have children of my own will certainlt provide for them but do not believe there is any such rule of law that I need to leave them a bunch of money. They are being raised to be self supporting, independant thinking little units. Have you set aside money for the mother/wife if your uk children. She deserves to be financially secure in her older days as well (apologies if she has passed away) or her immediate family or yours as they may have contributed to helping raise your children. My point is your grown children can certainly want your money but there is nothing saying they have an expectation to it. The money is for enjoynent you earned you should spend it. Leaving money behind for others to enjoy seems more wasteful to me then buying your wife a new house. Yes certainly help your children in times of need but cut the cord tell them tgey had better not be eyeing up a new car or house upon yoyr death....

I would say having the land put into your wife's name is the first step and make no move until that is completed.

You seem to have good intent on self protection but the reality is it will be hers all along, even if you have a lease on it, would you be in position to dispute it?

Take your time over this, do not dig into your savings beyond any share you already earmarked for her, it is all about transference of wealth, yours to her family.

There are various stages before even building can be considered, a rice-paddy will need to be filled, outer fencing, access road, utility supplies etc...

Both of you save towards these stages.... in the interim, just in case something happens to you before, make a Thai will for your Thai assets and have sufficient there to complete the arrangement.

Get back to us!

Take your time over this, do not dig into your savings beyond any share you already earmarked for her, it is all about transference of wealth, yours to her family.

Like I have said, "Render unto Ceasear what is Ceasear's..."

The portion allocated to her from your savings and future income.

The other portions not for her to remain in the UK, untouched.

Should the portion allocated to her from your savings is not sufficient, save part of her portion of future income till there is sufficient amount to build.

If she does not understand, then you need to relook at your relationship and its future path...

How you spent your money is of course your choice. But building a house in stages, is not a great plan. It ends up a lot more expensive than when you build it all at once , and keep the costs under your own supervision. When is the house finished? At what Point? and how will you get builders to do it in stages. or will you use different builders each stage? Just make a deal for the full costs of the build (labour) and provide materials yourself. This way it stay's easy to control and you don't need to be an expert yourself too.

Yes you should put the land deed in your wive's name if you don't want the family to have rights to all of it. You can make contract stating who paid for what, in cas of your wife passing away before you. You will have time and opportunity then to get your stuff in order and get your money back.

For the rest , if you decided already that you won't live there and you don't mind them keeping it. why do you need ownership papers, contract or whatever.?

Just build the house and let them have it.

I would never put in more than i can afford, into a project that basically gives me no right for myslef. So what you can lose is what you can afford.

Good luck to you

It is hard to give advise as i am sure you are the only man ever to be in this position.A chance to build a house in a

place you will not live, on land you do not own,with money you did not earn yet..555 ..I say do it...but i am a bit thick so you decide.

Make sure there are enough rooms for the family,,,

they will eventually move in.

Make sure you install a hot water unit,,,

Thais don't like washing themselves in cold water.

Make sure you buy a very big fridge,,,

Thais like to eat free food,,,

But this is my house

do you really think that ?

Keep a packed bag, you might have to exit in a hurry.

This is a very cynical view of Thai people. There are good and bad people in every country, it's a question of not rushing in.

I have built two houses in Thailand for my former and current wife, and in neither case did her family move in, use our hot water, eat out of our fridge.

Best advice is not to rush into anything but do your homework first and you can enjoy a happy life in your own home.

My advice in one word, ... Don't!

I did this several years ago. the house was supposed to take 6 months to build and cost 1.5 to 2 million Baht, ..... it took more than two years, did not quite get finished before I ran out of money, .... it cost me over 7 million baht. the land was in her mother's name and we were going to transfer the title to my wife, ...... the land was not properly registered with the Department of Land, so no transfer could be made or lease given until it was properly registered. They said we had to get permission from the three people that owned adjoining land, ... one lived outside Thailand and was impossible to contact, ... it also needed to be surveyed, ..... when they discovered a farang was involved the cost to survey shot up to 100,000 baht.

Take my advice, .... buy a condo in your name, ..... get a Thai will made and make your wife the beneficiary. You can live in it yourself or use it for rentl income and when you die ... she can sell it and go through the headaches of building in her village herself.

I've had the same question posed to me. Looked at many house plans and decided on one. Then the little issues started to creep in. First we had to build up the dirt, initial estimate was 20K, a month later 30K, now 50K+. In the middle of the increasing dirt cost was the 'need' to purchase a welding machine for the builder (didn't get a price), then we had to purchase something else, and then something else for the builder. Then she wanted to take me to the bank and get a loan for appx 3 million. Have yet to move on anything. Like previously said, you will pay for the house and you will pay for all the extras that the Thai in-laws, neighbors, friends, etc... want to kick in. Good luck. What I would do is have a will splitting up your life's savings between your kids and your wife. What she does with that then is up to her; however, I would highly doubt she would use the money to build a house!

if your having doubts, then why do so.... Taking advice from this forum, where im guessing 80% are burnt farang, is ridiculous.. go see a lawyer for advice.. I

If 80% of people have been burned on this escapade then surely that is a good indication for the OP of what to do.

Yea, ignore it, and go get proper advise, thats not biased..

How is it biased? People are free to post their experience if it is good or bad. If 80% of opinions are bad then how do you know that it is not a reasonable sample of opinions? This forum isn't exclusive to people who have been burned in the past.

But you say that going to a local business who you will pay to work for you will give you an unbiased advice??

Hmm, I would conclude that you are biased toward Thais and therefore should be ignored for any impartial advice this thread.

If i was you i would do some resurrect on this site Some scary story's about. Take care of your Four children , if you cannot afford to look after them and build a house , don't do it, look after your four children . also you would never own the land or house ,

Are the kids useless,why can't they look after themselves.Who is going to wipe the ops arse when he is past it,wont be the kids.

I've had the same question posed to me. Looked at many house plans and decided on one. Then the little issues started to creep in. First we had to build up the dirt, initial estimate was 20K, a month later 30K, now 50K+. In the middle of the increasing dirt cost was the 'need' to purchase a welding machine for the builder (didn't get a price), then we had to purchase something else, and then something else for the builder. Then she wanted to take me to the bank and get a loan for appx 3 million. Have yet to move on anything. Like previously said, you will pay for the house and you will pay for all the extras that the Thai in-laws, neighbors, friends, etc... want to kick in. Good luck. What I would do is have a will splitting up your life's savings between your kids and your wife. What she does with that then is up to her; however, I would highly doubt she would use the money to build a house!

Some of you blokes need to take control.Get a new builder,couldn't built much without tools.Did you look at his previous work.

My advice in one word, ... Don't!

I did this several years ago. the house was supposed to take 6 months to build and cost 1.5 to 2 million Baht, ..... it took more than two years, did not quite get finished before I ran out of money, .... it cost me over 7 million baht. the land was in her mother's name and we were going to transfer the title to my wife, ...... the land was not properly registered with the Department of Land, so no transfer could be made or lease given until it was properly registered. They said we had to get permission from the three people that owned adjoining land, ... one lived outside Thailand and was impossible to contact, ... it also needed to be surveyed, ..... when they discovered a farang was involved the cost to survey shot up to 100,000 baht.

Take my advice, .... buy a condo in your name, ..... get a Thai will made and make your wife the beneficiary. You can live in it yourself or use it for rentl income and when you die ... she can sell it and go through the headaches of building in her village herself.

What can i say,sorry i wasn't on the end of the line to get my piece of pie.2mill to 7mill.You gotta pool.