• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Teen dies kayaking in Phuket

webfact

Teen dies kayaking in Phuket
Phuket Gazette

k.jpeg
The recovered kayak had taken on too much water to properly float. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- One man died while kayaking with two friends in the Tah Jeen Canal in Phuket.

Unable to swim, 18-year-old Charnis Kilngklip died after his kayak began taking on water and sank.

"One of Mr Charnis's friends, 17-year-old 'Chai', told us that all three of them were in the same kayak when it flipped,” said Lt Col Suchart Meelampong of the Phuket City Police. “Mr Chai told us that he attempted to help support Mr Charnis, but that his 18-year-old friend slipped from his hands and disappeared into the water."

Police did not reveal the full name of Mr Chai or the other friend who was in the kayak at the time, naming him only as 17-year-old ‘Mitr’.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Teen-dies-kayaking-Phuket/62804?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-06

Those plastic air filled kayaks can sink pretty quick when they get a hole in them. I had to swim back with one which had sunk off the coast. The vendor still wanted me to pay full price for my 15 minutes of exercise. Lucky I was a strong swimmer or I would have been dead and would still have to pay for the missing boat.

In one line it flipped,

In another line it sank.

Not very sensible to have 3 people on a one person Kayak.

That can't swim and aren't wearing life jackets.

where does sensible come into the equation? Safety is a difficult concept involving visualising a range of possible consequences of ones actions. This is not part of the culture.

Lots missing from the story but this could have been a kayak from a rental company abandoned because it had a hole in it. They are difficult to repair. By the way, it is a two seater.

a most peculiar looking kayak to say the least in fact I have never seen one like that no doubt someone will enlighten me from the looks of that one I would say 3 men would be too many that was most probably why it was shipping water rip young man.

a 2 seater kayak from a reputable company can easily hold the weight of up to 3 adults... Kayaks are fully seal and hollow, very hard to sink, it sank because the kayak was most likely damaged therefore taking in water.

I think the stats for child drownings is 7 a day.

From the UK, every parents priority is to toilet train their kid then teach them to swim. To do so will enhance their life and avoid any chance of something like this happening.

Responsible parents also teach fundamental life skills such as road safety. Sadly when you are an adult, treated like a child, preventable accidents are inevitable.

Better luck next time.

yep any kind of water sport wear a life jacket, when i had my water- ski boat in the uk, a mate "jack the lad," i am a good swimmer, i said if ya get hit by a ski, which happens, you go down, by the time i turn the boat around you are a goner.

Those plastic air filled kayaks can sink pretty quick when they get a hole in them. I had to swim back with one which had sunk off the coast. The vendor still wanted me to pay full price for my 15 minutes of exercise. Lucky I was a strong swimmer or I would have been dead and would still have to pay for the missing boat.

But if you were dead, I don't think you would have cared about paying.