bringing a car with me when we move.... hassle?

Papa Goose

Hello fellow pertolheads. If we complete on the sale of our house we may well move to Thailand and would import a few bits mainly computer stuff etc and clothes, not really anything else, but I would also like to research bringing my pride and joy a MB SL 500, but only if it's less complicated the the Space shuttle manual and isn't going to cost more than the car is worth.

Anyone got any tips or advice please

Forget it....

Was yes yes yes yes - all ok .....Until the day I went to get it - then a last minute decision was made that this type (suv) no longer could be brought into Thailand.....

I had had that car built from the ground up - someone saw it and wanted it.....

Don't know who has it now - not me....

Forget it....

Was yes yes yes yes - all ok .....Until the day I went to get it - then a last minute decision was made that this type (suv) no longer could be brought into Thailand.....

I had had that car built from the ground up - someone saw it and wanted it.....

Don't know who has it now - not me....

Check in the display garage on the right hand side of the drive towards parking at Nong Nuch Gardens, south of Pattaya. There's some pretty exclusive looking imports there. Loads of them in fact.

Wait a minute - that advice may be right for a used honda sedan - but it is probably wrong for a MB.

I left my CLK250K AMG behind and have regretted it ever since I got here and found out how ridiculously expensive cars are here compared to AUS - especially MBs. This may not be the same where you are coming from, but it is most certainly the case in AUS (almost double). Also there is DELETED all chance you will get a good used MB here - there are DELETED all consumer laws and the whole used car industry (and new a bit) is DELETED A used MB SL500 here will have been abused by a hi-so (youll find out about them) and probably not looked after in servicing too. And a dealer/seller will want a ridiculous price and will do all sorts to make it look better (including winding back clocks etc.) - this is the wild west here and the sherrifs are mostly all asleep.

There are exceptions and reductions for the taxes payable for one used private car being imported, all depending on how long you stay and personal circumstances. If I had my time again I would find a reputable car transporter and importer to Thailand and get a quote, and then decide if it is worth it (I think it would be). And from my limited knowledfe it would seem to me that it is better and much easier to do it from here after you have settled into a place and have learned about a few things.

Another good point to note, is that MB is the choice upmarket car of the well to do here. There are more MBs here than 10 times all the other premium brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus, etc) combined together. I see MBs all the time, but rarely see a BMW or Audi. The resale value is high, and there are service shops everywhere - get the MB dealer to recommend a local wherever you settle (they will want you to buy a new one there one day).

Edited by seedy
language

From the customs website:

"In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation."

The WP will be an issue for the OP.

Assuming the vehicle is say 12 years old with a value of 10,000 quid, you get a 25% discount for the FOB value, so call it 7,500.

Add shipping and insurance of say 3,500 and the landed CIF (taxable) value is 11,000 quid.

Then apply the various duties that total 328% and you come up with 47,000 sterling.

Plus there will be gratuities and agents fees and Lord knows what, so lets say 50,000 quid at a rate of .53 and you get 2,650,000 Baht.

I wouldn't have a clue what it would cost in Thailand, but the WP will still be the clincher.

I'm interested in this topic as I have a 2004 MB SL 500 just sitting in the USA doing nothing. How much would the perceived value on that thing be?

I spent $9,000 fixing it up a few years ago so it is pretty good to go, sad it is being wasted.

"In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation."

Assuming the vehicle is say 12 years old with a value of 10,000 quid, you get a 25% discount for the FOB value, so call it 7,500.

Add shipping and insurance of say 3,500 and the landed CIF (taxable) value is 11,000 quid.

Then apply the various duties that total 328% and you come up with 47,000 sterling.

Plus there will be gratuities and agents fees and Lord knows what, so lets say 50,000 quid at a rate of .53 and you get 2,650,000 Baht.

I wouldn't have a clue what it would cost in Thailand, but the WP will still be the clincher.

I did say personal circumstances - mine are that I have a non-immigrant Visa (retired) and have been here since 2012 (first visit was on standard Visa) - and I can see on that website that there are additional discounts and offsets available (Thai wife etc.). But I take your point - it will cost a bit to import it. The question is how much exactly will it cost - given a person's own circumstances now or in the future when they import it - versus the 'costs' of selling the MB and then buying another one here. Included in that is also the difference between the cars themselves and what 'value' one places on that - I know I would never get a decent well looked after used MB here.

Because I listened to the negative advice and only did a little research, and because I didn't know about the situation with MB here, I made the decision to sell the MB. I now regret that, and in hindsight I would definitely see a professional importer and get a quote - and then work out all the other actual costs - and then make a genuine comparison. I could do that now I am here - and I wish I had left the car with a friend/relative while I found out the actual costs and issues involved. PS: If I was to do it - I would get it to Bangkok only - drive it from there.

I am not saying it will cost nothing - what I am saying is that the OP should get the actual costs. For a decent well looked after used MB it may be worth it - versus buyng a used one here. Getting the car serviced here is fine, and its resale value will be high - those two things I didn't know - and there are others that also make it worth considering further. The only downside is costs - and a ship sinking of course - definitely the OP should insure for the transport as you said.

I was under the (probably mistaken?) impression that the import value was based on the perceived new price for the car which would make a big difference. Or is that just a potential interpretation of a Customs official?

How do we sort out what the costs will be? I understand it is 300% but 300% of what? Is there someone we can call?

If you read the website, for a second hand car they use the "Parkers Car Price Guide" to obtain the FOB value of the vehicle.

They then add the cost of Marine Insurance and Ocean Freight to get the CIF value. They then apply a discount to the CIF value based on the age of the car - there is a table on the website that shows this.

Then finally they multiply the discounted CIF value by the tax rates which (in total) range from 187% for a car less than 2 litres, to 328% for one in excess of 3 litres.

Parkers website http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/car-price-guide/

FOB = a shipping term meaning "Free on Board", meaning the cost of the vehicle plus any costs to load it on board.

CIF - A shipping term meaning "Cost, Insurance, and freight. This is the FOB value, plus marine insurance, plus ocean freight. CIF can include unloading charges at port of destination, but it depends on the goods and the contract. Regardless, there are nearly always ancillary costs that are paid at the port of discharge.

When I moved here 8 years ago I also considered importing my Merc, which was 9 years old but pristine.

Anyway, after much investigation I concluded it was not worth the hassle. I seem to remember you could only import acar on a temporary basis, apart from all the tax and backhanders that would clearly be due at the port of entry.

I flogged it and convinced myself it was the lack of air conditioning that finally persuaded me to ditch the idea.

To put in perspective. I sold in the UK in 2006 for 1,200 pounds. It was a 1996 Merc and that was the 'book' value.

IN 2010 I saw an exact same car on sale in Pattaya. Same year, model even colour - in fact I thought it was my old one for a moment. Cost 480.000 baht !! (9,300 Pounds) Cars don't depreciate here do they?

Currently, despite the Thai customs website information, No private car imports are allowed at all. Not even for a Thai person returning to Thailand. The actual total duty is normally 345% less any age and condition discounts which can be substantial.

The percentage is based on the CIF value so if its only £1000 it will be worth doing. Until the new government are voted in and this is looked at there is no chance at all thanks to all the crooks who cheated the system for a long time and paid under the table to get it done. My advice is to hang on to the car for a while and try again in a year or two. Keep it with a relative until things change again.

How do we sort out what the costs will be? I understand it is 300% but 300% of what? Is there someone we can call?

If you read the website, for a second hand car they use the "Parkers Car Price Guide" to obtain the FOB value of the vehicle.

They then add the cost of Marine Insurance and Ocean Freight to get the CIF value. They then apply a discount to the CIF value based on the age of the car - there is a table on the website that shows this.

Then finally they multiply the discounted CIF value by the tax rates which (in total) range from 187% for a car less than 2 litres, to 328% for one in excess of 3 litres.

FOB = a shipping term meaning "Free on Board", meaning the cost of the vehicle plus any costs to load it on board.

CIF - A shipping term meaning "Cost, Insurance, and freight. This is the FOB value, plus marine insurance, plus ocean freight. CIF can include unloading charges at port of destination, but it depends on the goods and the contract. Regardless, there are nearly always ancillary costs that are paid at the port of discharge.

Not all cars are in Parkers!

Bummer.... Thanks guys. Looks like it's bye bye SL, hello some Jap pickup?

To quote Gershwin, “it ain’t necessarly so…..

You will be surprised at the old vehicles you find ‘in the sticks’ around Thailand.

I recently was forced to see some Thai relatives in Nakon Sawan and passed a number of car lots selling old European cars. I stopped and looked at some old Mark 2 Land Rovers, and ancient Australian Holdens. They were complete, original, but had not been used for years.

I certainly have seen old MB SLK here.

I don’t think the locals understand how to fix them up or can afford to import spares.

Its a 2005 SL500, with all the toys and in almost showroom condition, I kind of viewed it as when I pop my clogs to have a towbar fitted and put my coffin on it lol, and my wife moans I spend more time and money on it that her (probably true). However, we will be retiring an want stress free, I have even considered a road trip to Thailand in it, but think my bum would give up long before.

Thank for all the info guys, very much appreciated

If you had that car for more than a year you can take it with you tax free and therefore it will be much cheaper despite the shipping than buying something comparable in Thailand!

Thats for Thai nationals that were living abroad and returning isnt it.

I don't think the OP is Thai.

I wanted to bring a Toyota Rav 4, 1997 low mileage. A nice little run-about as a second vehicle for us. I was advised that customs set the value when you get here and in many cases people walk away and leave the car in customs. E.G. in my case, A car that I think is worth 138,000 Bt they might value at 230,000 baht and charge 750,000 baht duty on plus other costs and shipping. I decided not to do it. I did not want to donate a perfectly good car to some civil servant's daughter to drive round in. The duty could even be charged on the freight as well but I was never able to nail that one down. It just looked like one i was not going to win.

Be very careful here. It could break your heart. Unless all the advice I have ever heard is completely wrong.

See if anyone (preferably several people) tell you they actually did it and what it cost, not what some TVF "expert " posts tell us about what some " friend-of-a-friend's-cousin" said he heard someone did.

Furniture & household appliances can have 80% duty charged If I remember rightly if they are too new. I brought 46 cartons and numbered each one and then itemized by age and value, every single thing in them, carton by carton. That is what they ask for! Everything I brought was multiple years old and therefore not dutiable.

They just thought of a number and said "pay X-baht duty." You cannot argue!!!!! So I paid and smiled through my teeth. This is a country without a comprehensive PAYE tax system so they cane imports and exports for all they are worth. (Yes exports!!!!!!!!!! I have a personal story on that too)

Edited by The Deerhunter

Not all cars are in Parkers!

Tell the Thai Customs Department.

A friend of mine bought out a 20 year old Mazda MX5 ragtop/hardtop. He paid $5000for it 2nd hand. I don't know the break up of the tax BUT by the time he picked his car up in BKK and paid the import tax based on the Thai valuation it owed him $21000 !!!!.. He had the money and was not concerned as he now has an MX5 in Australia and one in Thailand.. So if you are like him and attatched to it and have surplus money ok. BUT mathematically its bad value and a waste of money for most people..

I have heard that in the past if you move hear and get a retirement visa that first up you can bring your chattels out duty free. Friends of mine 7 years ago retired to Cha-am and bought all their furniture duty free from the UK. After 7 years they have since moved back due to health problems.. It would be worth it anybody knows if this also applies to your car. Good luck