Netflix is now available in Thailand

ghworker2010

works fine on most android boxes I have tired, i.e. MX, MXq, M8 but you need to update to the latest version

It will work on these boxes, yes, but it will be limited to 720P maximum resolution... which may or may not bother you I guess.

Approved boxes (AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, Chromecast) are able to support 1080P and in the case of Roku4 and FireTV, 4K.

Alas, best they will do is sd, so not even 720. I musts admit however that the stream does improve once buffer is full, not quite as pixelated as my initial impressions led me to believe.

They should be able to do 720P even through a web browser, no?

not on chrome at least, android when uncertified still identifies itself as a tablet/smart phone to the server and the video does not play, instead it tells you to view the show using the netflix app.

• Like 1

works fine on most android boxes I have tired, i.e. MX, MXq, M8 but you need to update to the latest version

It will work on these boxes, yes, but it will be limited to 720P maximum resolution... which may or may not bother you I guess.

Approved boxes (AppleTV, Roku, FireTV, Chromecast) are able to support 1080P and in the case of Roku4 and FireTV, 4K.

Nvidia Shield is 4K certified for Netflix too

I watched "The Ridiculous 6" in 1080P late the other night, great pic and no buffering. TV isnt 4k so I don't know if it would have streamed or not - traffic dependant I guess

Nvidia Shield is 4K certified for Netflix too

I watched "The Ridiculous 6" in 1080P late the other night, great pic and no buffering. TV isnt 4k so I don't know if it would have streamed or not - traffic dependant I guess

I did a lot of testing on it when they first released HOC in 4K around 2-3 years ago - before they had all the resolution/device/HDCP2.2 limits.. Back then, If you could watch 3x Netflix 1080P streams concurrently, you could watch 1x 4K stream, smoothly.

If the connection was only good enough to support 2x 1080P streams, 4K would stop and buffer a lot, but with all the changes to their tech since then more likely you just won't get 4K at all if it detects that.

On the VPN and proxies front, I'd sit tight and see what happens in coming weeks and months. There have been some warnings like this before, but they really didn't turn out to be much. However, that was before the most recent international expansion. I wouldn't bail out now, just based on those kinds of public statements.

However, on the skinny Netflix content in Thailand and other expansion countries, I think Netflix would have been smarter to have made some reference to those kinds of issues in their announcement, and then make a commitment to improve that over time. Instead, AFAICT, they were pretty silent about the issue of missing/lacking content vs. the U.S. Netflix standard, and now it's raising hackles when excited potential new international customers sign up and discover, it's not what they were expecting. Thailand isn't the only country where these kinds of complaints are being raised in the past week.

On the VPN and proxies front, I'd sit tight and see what happens in coming weeks and months. There have been some warnings like this before, but they really didn't turn out to be much. However, that was before the most recent international expansion. I wouldn't bail out now, just based on those kinds of public statements.

However, on the skinny Netflix content in Thailand and other expansion countries, I think Netflix would have been smarter to have made some reference to those kinds of issues in their announcement, and then make a commitment to improve that over time. Instead, AFAICT, they were pretty silent about the issue of missing/lacking content vs. the U.S. Netflix standard, and now it's raising hackles when excited potential new international customers sign up and discover, it's not what they were expecting. Thailand isn't the only country where these kinds of complaints are being raised in the past week.

I disagree with you. Im a new subscriber in LOS and impressed with the content available. Sign up boys and dont listen to johninbkk

• Like 1

As I mentioned above, complaints about the limited content and/or censorship on the new international versions of Netflix are arising elsewhere, not just here in Thailand.

From CNBC out of Singapore:

One thing about the article, though, is it really doesn't address how much of the missing content issue in Singapore is related to that country's particular censorship laws vs. how much is related to Netflix simply not providing, or being able to provide, certain content outside the U.S.

From the Netflix Thailand site, there's lots of regular TV show content from the U.S. that's simply not available on Netflix Thailand, and that's clearly not because of censorship issues, because most of the commercial network TV series shown in the U.S. aren't going to run afoul of censorship rules here in Thailand.

Some Singaporeans are pretty unhappy with Netflix

Video-streaming service provider Netflix, which launched in Singapore last Thursday, is already getting flak from some Singaporeans for limited content compared to its U.S. service.

Singapore's monthly pricing ranges from $7.65 (S$10.98) to $11.83 (S$$16.98), cheaper than rates in the U.S.

Reasonable as the Netflix monthly fees are, some customers are disgruntled about the fact that Netflix Singapore looks nothing like the U.S. Netflix.

House of Cards, Arrested Development, South Korean TV dramas and Chinese Kungfu movies are among the missing content in the Singapore version of the service.

Some took to social media to express their displeasure and complain about the city-state's tight censorship.

MORE:

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

As I mentioned above, complaints about the limited content and/or censorship on the new international versions of Netflix are arising elsewhere, not just here in Thailand.

From CNBC out of Singapore:

One thing about the article, though, is it really doesn't address how much of the missing content issue in Singapore is related to that country's particular censorship laws vs. how much is related to Netflix simply not providing, or being able to provide, certain content outside the U.S.

From the Netflix Thailand site, there's lots of regular TV show content from the U.S. that's simply not available on Netflix Thailand, and that's clearly not because of censorship issues, because most of the commercial network TV series shown in the U.S. aren't going to run afoul of censorship rules here in Thailand.

Some Singaporeans are pretty unhappy with Netflix

Video-streaming service provider Netflix, which launched in Singapore last Thursday, is already getting flak from some Singaporeans for limited content compared to its U.S. service.

Singapore's monthly pricing ranges from $7.65 (S$10.98) to $11.83 (S$$16.98), cheaper than rates in the U.S.

Reasonable as the Netflix monthly fees are, some customers are disgruntled about the fact that Netflix Singapore looks nothing like the U.S. Netflix.

House of Cards, Arrested Development, South Korean TV dramas and Chinese Kungfu movies are among the missing content in the Singapore version of the service.

Some took to social media to express their displeasure and complain about the city-state's tight censorship.

MORE:

It's all just licensing:

A check by Channel NewsAsia also revealed that some of Netflix's original shows are not available in Singapore - such as House Of Cards, Arrested Development and Sense8. The Netflix spokesperson said that for some of these shows, this is due to rights issues.

"Most of our originals content will be available globally," said the spokesperson. "However, with the likes of House of Cards, we didn't negotiate global licenses to the content and so the rights sits with other platforms."

"We may get them back in some of our new markets, but have nothing further to announce at this time," he added. "With regard to our fully owned and produced Netflix originals moving forward, these will all be available to every market and go live at exactly the same time globally."

Season 3 of House Of Cards aired on RTL CBS Entertainment HD in Singapore on the same day as its launch on Netflix in the US.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/netflix-becomes-global-tv/2405016.html

As a global broadcaster, I anticipate we'll see Netflix winning a whole lot more contracts as time goes on...

The question is: is it worth the asking price right now? For me, it's so cheap it's inconsequential, but if ~$10 is a lot of money to you, sure wait it out I guess.

• Like 1

Once you have watched House of Cards, Orange is the new black and a couple other original shows, you are done with Netflix…the rest is all old movies.

You can get the original netflix content from the usual sources…so why bother…..Hulu might be a better bet…at least theres some attraction in getting the latest tv series on demand.

Yeah, there have been a few scare articles like this. Just turn it on when you need it, off when you don't wink.png

When I'm using it, there's not a lot of bandwidth left for them to borrow tongue.png

I deleted the app when I found out about this….long time ago.

I don't subscribe to Netflix right now, though I have in the past. But if I were looking to do that, it definitely would be a U.S. account -- not the content crippled Thai version.

the content depends on where netflix "thinks" you are viewing from, not where the account was opened.

One other thing Netflix Thailand. If you have kids it's great because big selection for them.

Is anyone using HBO via a VPN? I'm thinking of sinning up for a few months for game of thrones and their back catalogue.

Make sure you have a US PayPal or Cc.

Yeah, there have been a few scare articles like this. Just turn it on when you need it, off when you don't wink.png

When I'm using it, there's not a lot of bandwidth left for them to borrow tongue.png

After using Hola for a year or so, I read about some of the stuff they are doing. I saw a CSS entry on one website that seemed to set Hola ads. So I removed it from Chrome.

After signing up for Netflix I tried Hola again. When watching one movie (PC connected to 48" Ultra LG TV), I saw significant degrading in the resolution. So I removed it immediately.

That bandwidth you think Hola are not borrowing ....

But, as Thais say, "Up to you."

For now I'm disappointing in content. For those who said the content is the same or almost the same with US, clearly you never used Netflix. Even when I was in the UK, UK netflix was nowhere near US. Here in Thai version, I'am shocked by hot little there is to watch and all the OLD movies like The Matrix, etc. I really hope this will change. I watched a few shows like Narcos, Daredevil and JC, so far I can't find anything more interesting to watch.

My worry now is, the gov and their censorship, only a matter of time. Maybe this is the reason behind this little content.

For now I'm disappointing in content. For those who said the content is the same or almost the same with US, clearly you never used Netflix.

lol.

8 pages into this thread and EVERYONE is saying the Thai Netflix content is nothing compared to the USA...

Clearly you did not bother reading this thread.