• Latest posts...

1. 45

Reasons of change

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

5. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

6. 45

Reasons of change

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

9. 45

Reasons of change

10. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

11. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

12. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Vehicles seized in Phuket during seven days of danger returned to owners

webfact

Vehicles seized in Phuket during seven days of danger returned to owners
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1452133495_1-org.jpg
87 vehicles were seized by police in Phuket during the seven days of danger.

PHUKET: -- It has been confirmed that all 87 vehicles seized by police in Phuket during the seven days of danger (Dec 29 – Jan 4) have since been returned to their owners.

Phuket Provincial Police Chief Col Teerapol Thipjaroen said, “We seized lots of cars and motorbikes during the seven days of danger and all of these vehicles were reported to the Phuket Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) Office.”

“We follow the same seven dangerous days of New Year as Bangkok and we really do not want drink drivers taking their vehicles on the road. Their vehicles are kept at a police station until the driver is in a fit state to take the vehicle back,” Col Teerapol said.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/vehicles-seized-in-phuket-during-seven-days-of-danger-returned-to-owners-55693.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-07

And nice to see they all showed up to claim their motorbikes with helmets in hand.

cheesy.gif

My initial thought also, but given the fact that is is dark in the photo and also this is on the road with the military involved, I think this is the primary incident.

That being said, as sure as eggs are eggs, I bet they had no helmets when they came to collect them.

No penalty or prosecution? Another gift? 10 years ago in the US it would run you at least $5000, classes, suspension, court fees....

I'm guessing it's more like $10,000 now? Here, they pay for the tow, and give you a ride home, or what?

Yup, a smack on the hand with the admonishment "don't do it again". Nothing learned apart from a short term inconvenience. No need to wear a helmet when collecting your bike - even though it is against the law to ride one without! No wonder nothing changes as far as reducing road trauma is concerned, despite all the rubbery statistics and Government pronouncements to the contrary. coffee1.gif