Assaulted on Jomtien soi 14 last night

frozenpuck

Maybe in your view the OP should consider to stay in his room, with the door locked at all times, and just a small trapdoor through which he get his food delivered 3 times a day?

He could, I suppose. Sounds a bit daft to me though and it's certainly nothing that I would do.

I go out every evening but I simply dont carry things with me that I'm not prepared to lose. It's really not very complicated at all.

I always carry things I don't want to lose, everytime l go out. It's a wallet and cellphone and I need them, that's why l carry them. Not carrying them would make life far more complicated.

Edited by tropo

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they step over the line by that trying to dip your wallet or rob you, just smash them straight in the throat, no warning just do it. It may well save your life from

them if high on yaba.

Crush their adams apple causing death by asphyxiation...then spend your life in the bkk hilton...being someones butt boy.

I prefer the pepper spray idea but no one has mentioned where i can buy one.

Is the small gold chain some sort of status symbol for the O.P ?

Does he feel undressed without it ?

I think it is not too clever, anywhere in the world, to flaunt your bling.

It impresses nobody, except the occasional bar girl.

, or a would be mugger.

Maybe in your view the OP should consider to stay in his room, with the door locked at all times, and just a small trapdoor through which he get his food delivered 3 times a day?

He could, I suppose. Sounds a bit daft to me though and it's certainly nothing that I would do.

I go out every evening but I simply dont carry things with me that I'm not prepared to lose. It's really not very complicated at all.

I always carry things I don't want to lose, everytime l go out. It's a wallet and cellphone and I need them, that's why l carry them. Not carrying them would make life far more complicated.

Really?

You do know money doesn't HAVE to be in a wallet, don't you? You can put money in your pocket, leaving less of a bulge.

You could also have two phones. One a smart phone the other a 1000baht cheapie to be taken on piss ups.

Why O' why am I replying to these threads?

Get a small canister of law enforcement grade pepper spray. Mine is 4" x 1" diameter, with a belt clip. It has a safety which you can flip in a fraction in a second with your thumb. If any of them acts suspicious and gets within 10 feet of you, especially if they aggressively grope you after you tell them to f--- off, unload the whole thing into their eyes. Non lethal and not considered a deadly weapon. I carry mine at all time

I drove a taxicab in San Francisco for a good number of years and used both Mace and Pepper-Spray at least seven times that I can remember of and they appeared to work equally well. However, the advantage of Pepper-Spray is that no license is required to purchase or carry it in California.

Edited by oslooskar

Get a small canister of law enforcement grade pepper spray. Mine is 4" x 1" diameter, with a belt clip. It has a safety which you can flip in a fraction in a second with your thumb. If any of them acts suspicious and gets within 10 feet of you, especially if they aggressively grope you after you tell them to f--- off, unload the whole thing into their eyes. Non lethal and not considered a deadly weapon. I carry mine at all time

I drove a taxicab in San Francisco for a good number of years and used both Mace and Pepper-Spray at least seven times that I can remember of and they appeared to work equally well. However, the advantage of Pepper-Spray is that no license is required to purchase or carry it in California.

I think you will find, if you take your approach, whether you are right or wrong, you could end up with big problems.

We are not in San Francisco in your taxicab, we are in Thailand (or at least I am).

Best leave the showy bling at home, enjoy your night.

You can always dream about how you overpowered the numerous assailants, but you are not Thai.

Really?

You do know money doesn't HAVE to be in a wallet, don't you? You can put money in your pocket, leaving less of a bulge.
You could also have two phones. One a smart phone the other a 1000baht cheapie to be taken on piss ups.

Really, you shouldn't reply unless you understand what you're replying to.

I'm not talking about "piss ups". I don't do them.

Also I wasn't necessarily referring to cash - I never carry much of that. All I said was that i don't want to lose it and cash would be the least of my worries if I did lose it because I carry many items which I find necessary in my day to day life here. Most people do.

Smartphones are also a necessary item for most people to carry these days unless you're still living in the dark ages. Carrying them around is the point of having one.

I understand your predicament if you're careless enough to get so drunk that you have a hard time holding on to your stuff but you should really have a minder to help you through it and not go out alone. Losing your stuff could be the least of your worries.

Smartphones are not a necessity.

That's a futile argument.

They are if you require the benefits they offer - which are far too many to summarise here. You could also say that all that is required to sustain human life is bread and water. Everything else is not a necessity.

They are if you require the benefits they offer - which are far too many to summarise here. You could also say that all that is required to sustain human life is bread and water. Everything else is not a necessity.

I first came here 25 years ago. To call overseas you had to book an appointment for the next day at a telephone exchange.

So why is it a necessity ?

A basic mobile let's you call other numbers and send messages.

Oh, I am sorry, I forgot, you cannot take selfies with those contraptions !

Gold... Better leaving it at home, I mean home not a hotel room if you are coming for a two week holiday leave it at home, if it is not stolen you still have a high chance of loosing it.

Phones, buy a cheap second hand phone for the purpose of your holiday.

Wallets, only take out with you as little as possible, never ever take all your credit/debit cards with you, preferable none, think of hiding most of you money about your person in secure pockets.

Flout it, Lose it...

If they step over the line by that trying to dip your wallet or rob you, just smash them straight in the throat, no warning just do it. It may well save your life from

them if high on yaba.

Crush their adams apple causing death by asphyxiation...then spend your life in the bkk hilton...being someones butt boy.

Get a Stun Gun... For Dogs and LB's

Has the OP considered not wearing a gold chain, and not taking his phone and wallet with him?

I walk along Jomtien beach road every evening and no one ever hassles me, but I only have a couple of hundred Baht in my pocket. Everything else of value I leave back in my condo.

I also wonder did he report the incident? I'm not suggesting that the police would actually catch the miscreants but a report would at least indicate that there is a problem. No report means the problem does not exist.

He will, once it has gone!

Some people may be going out and in need of their wallet and whatever is in it. I also wonder whether the police officers would give a hoot about an attempted crime unless you paid them! If the police gave a damn they would be out patrolling the Beach Rd and spotting likely criminals.....

I think the OP was overly tolerant, and should have got offensive as soon as a finger was laid upon him.

Poor show when one can't walk along the Beach Rd for fear of robbery.

I first came here 25 years ago. To call overseas you had to book an appointment for the next day at a telephone exchange.

I don't want to be swapping over phones, the SIM card is tiny, and you need a pin to remove it.

I use data network based communication often and that is not available on basic phones.

I too first came here 25+ years ago and there was no concern about being assaulted while walking down Beach Rd, something that is quite easily achievable nowadays I would hope. Instead of tourists having to suffer assaults and robberies and having to remove all valuables before going out (and leaving them in a hotel safe where their thieves can get to them), why not address the current problem.

I've not had 1 problem in 8 years.... But then I've not been to Pattaya in 8 years !!!

Gawd! that Pasty looks good! now what was you saying?

I've never had a problem whilst buying a pasty either smile.png

When I get back to PZ i'm going to murder one, while looking out at St Michaels Mount.But definately not Gingsters, Warrens is pretty good though!

Tourists and residents , should be able to walk down Beach road

and Soi's in Jomtien with out being accosted by these disgusting violent male prostitutes.

I can remember when Jomtien had none of these robbers walking the streets about 10 years ago.

Now look what we have, what a shame the cops just let this go on day in day out. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

Amazing Jomtiem

Come on Cops , get the Scum off the streets. wai2.gif

Edited by onemorechang

I have a zippered [ocket sewn into the inside of my shorts and pants. If I need to take my wallet or extra cash, that is where it goes. I never wear a chain, and if I wear a watch, it is an inexpensive brand. Usually have to go to the restroom when I need something from that pocket, but have not lost a thing yet, though I know pickpockets have tried.

Bet ya don't go to the rest room very often.

If that is all you think smartphones are good for you're so out of touch I can't school you.

Did you fly to Thailand or take a slow boat?

Really?

Also I wasn't necessarily referring to cash - I never carry much of that. All I said was that i don't want to lose it and cash would be the least of my worries if I did lose it because I carry many items which I find necessary in my day to day life here. Most people do.

Smartphones are also a necessary item for most people to carry these days unless you're still living in the dark ages. Carrying them around is the point of having one.

I understand your predicament if you're careless enough to get so drunk that you have a hard time holding on to your stuff but you should really have a minder to help you through it and not go out alone. Losing your stuff could be the least of your worries.

Actually you are the one that doesnt understand.

All he was trying to say is a simple concept....mitigate risk.

You do that by not taking unneeded items when you are out and about in Thailand. Could be any other high risk area in the world also.

Take a single credit card (if even needed) cash and a cheap phone.

Do not wear jewelry when out.

Leave everything else in the safe or home.

Put nothing in back pockets.

Put in front pocket and keep your hand in it.

Wrap a rubber band around your card and/or cash.

Dont go out alone, always take a wing-man.

Dont walk in unlit areas

Read TV to learn techniques to keep yourself safe. There are some smart mamma jammas here [emoji2]

them if high on yaba.

Get a Stun Gun... For Dogs and LB's

Thats a bit extreme….the idea is not to electrocute (and possibly kill) someone and get a whole lot of law enforcement involved…the idea is th make the assailant reconsider his/her plans with the gentlest possible reminder.

Pepper spray fits the bill….where can i purchase in bkk or pattaya….and like most things thai, does it work or is it fake?

Is the small gold chain some sort of status symbol for the O.P ?

Does he feel undressed without it ?

I think it is not too clever, anywhere in the world, to flaunt your bling.

It impresses nobody, except the occasional bar girl.

I think wearing gold in thailand makes a man look sponsored.

Really?

You do that by not taking unneeded items when you are out and about in Thailand. Could be any other high risk area in the world also.

Dont walk in unlit areas

Read TV to learn techniques to keep yourself safe. There are some smart mamma jammas here [emoji2]
And the most important thing to remember is to enjoy your relaxing visit to our seaside town(s)!

So much for all the hype from the mayor and city council about increased everything, CCTV coverage, increased visual presence, etc, etc. Seems to have been in effect for a limited period only, following their crackdown formats.

But would have to agree with some posters OP, even though you didn't lose anything, and the hassle that is involved in doing so, you should have reported it.

Easy to say in hindsight I know (in your situation I likely wouldn't have done so) but the BIB should be aware of whats happening and be able to take steps to neutralize the threat to other potential victims who may not be able to do as well as you.

Things I learned over the years:

1) If you carry a wallet, carry it in front pocket and with minimal credit cards. I carry my cash in my other front pocket, opposite my wallet.

2) I used to carry my Altoid mints tin in my back pocket. It leaves a bulge like a wallet and if a pickpocket sees that bulge, will go for that and it gives you a couple extra seconds to get away while they steal your tin of mints. It worked when a LB tried to pickpocket me years ago near Nana.

3) Make a dummy wallet and carry it in your back pocket while you carry your money in your front pocket (see #1 above). Print out some generic credit cards from the internet, and any other fake wallet stuff you can put in it and carry that. Again, they will go for the fake wallet and it gives you a few seconds to escape.

I'd like to get some pepper spray. Can anyone recommend a legitimate place to get some? Not some street vendor, but a real place?

I'd rather not go toe to toe with some LBs and their crew. I will defend myself, but I don't want to risk it by fighting.

I think you will find, if you take your approach, whether you are right or wrong, you could end up with big problems.

We are not in San Francisco in your taxicab, we are in Thailand (or at least I am).

You can always dream about how you overpowered the numerous assailants, but you are not Thai.

thaiduncankk, you're perfectly welcome to challenge any ideas that I present here on these forums but be advised that it would be greatly appreciated if you would refrain from directing yourself at me personally. After all, neither you, or I, are intimates, nor have we ever met.

Dont walk in unlit areas

No, its you who became confused by my reply.

I was replying to a comment that I shouldn't take anything out (in Pattaya) that am not prepared to lose.

My reply is that I ALWAYS carry things I am not prepared to lose. I am not prepared to lose my 30k cellphone or wallet BUT I always carry both when going out in Pattaya because the risk of losing them is low whereas the inconvenience to my daily life would be too high if I left them at home. People don't buy expensive cellphones to leave at home.

Also, my wife wears expensive jewelry. There's no point having it if it is locked up in the safe. If you don't take out your cellphones or jewelry, there's not much point buying either. (That could be a discussion best dedicated to another thread)

I would heed your paranoiac advice only if I was one to walk around drunk, which I never do.

Over 17 years living in SE Asia, first Philippines and now Thailand have only produced one loss - a cellphone taken at gunpoint in Philippines about 15 years ago. This was 17 years of carrying stuff I was not prepared to lose.

Edited by tropo

I must be doing something right in 24 years here and in BKK ,never ever had any trouble .

You're probably not wearing a gold chain and walking late at night . I think OP just looked like an easy victim.

thaiduncankk, you're perfectly welcome to challenge any ideas that I present here on these forums but be advised that it would be greatly appreciated if you would refrain from directing yourself at me personally. After all, neither you, or I, are intimates, nor have we ever met.

duncan is absolutely right. What In Gods name does your sf adventures have to do with this posting who cares what you experienced while driving our taxicab in the states