'Whiteness Helps You Win,' whitening cream ad tells Thai women

webfact

Hilarious! And the western white women are lying in tanning booths and in the sun, trying to get dark!

People who feel the need to impress others by being someone and some thing they are not are dark anyway... they have a great big empty black hole running through the middle of them.

Blackfish you are right, I think the Thai girls with their natural colour are gorgeous, the ones with the white faces look like Coco the clown to me. As a former employer, my choice back in the UK would be a natural colour Thai girl, the most important quality would be the ability to speak and have a good grasp of English. If you are employed to answer the phone and assist in the business offices no one is going to see or care what colour you are. I guess this works both ways.

I don't think so " As a former employer, my choice back in the UK would be a natural colour Thai girl" would get you a discrimination case in a flash!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hilarious! And the western white women are lying in tanning booths and in the sun, trying to get dark!

People who feel the need to impress others by being someone and some thing they are not are dark anyway... they have a great big empty black hole running through the middle of them.

Blackfish you are right, I think the Thai girls with their natural colour are gorgeous, the ones with the white faces look like Coco the clown to me. As a former employer, my choice back in the UK would be a natural colour Thai girl, the most important quality would be the ability to speak and have a good grasp of English. If you are employed to answer the phone and assist in the business offices no one is going to see or care what colour you are. I guess this works both ways.

You had a preference of skin color for your former Thai employees in the UK, is that what you just said?

there is a group that professes the same thing... someone who is tan complected... looks like she is all alone in the world... then the other 1/2 of the pic, she is holding up a few bottles of 'balance 3' ligtning cream and she is so happy, dress to kill, and friends all around her...

those products are so expensive on thai living conditions... i inquired about the weight loss... you have to pay 1800 baht if you want to lose 3-6 kg's and 3600 baht for up to 10 kg's... i ask the Balance 3 rep and i asked i want to lose more... in breath he said ok, buy our 5000 baht one... and you can lose 10 more kg's... but then later when i asked for his/her name and where they are located.... and what guarantee's... he/she backed down and just said they only can guranantee 10 kg's if you pay 5000 b for the products...

they are on LINE advertising... "Balance" is their name. such a rip off...

Some of you need to stop and back up. Who are two of the largest purveyors of "white" products in Thailand?

Hint No.1 - They are international conglomerates. One is German and the other is Dutch.

Hint No. 2 - Who approves the local brand strategy that promotes the lucrative "white" segment? (Extra help, they are not Thai.)

Sorry to say, the greatest push of these products comes courtesy of holier tun though finger waving Europeans. Isn't it rather odd that those very liberal Dutch and Germans at corporate headquarters don't blush at all knowing that their products include "special extra strength whitening formula"? I think before anyone on this forum starts blasting the Thais, he or she should take a long hard look at the business ethics of some of their countrymen and "pillars" of the community.

Anyone for cruel forms of cosmetic testing on animals through third parties in China where EU ethical rules don't apply?

Start again guys. Why does no one wear a hat here? Because only peasants wear hats. So they use their laptop to keep the sun off themselves or drive a motorbike with one hand rather than wear a helmet.

Why is a dark complexion considered ugly? Because only peasants that work in the fields have a tan . This applies equally in Isaan where many peasants women apply more whitening than they can afford.

AND lastly: why do Farangs consider the application of thick layers of foundation, make up and lipstick attractive and acceptable in their own countries?

Just as stupid in my view.

A couple of dates I had looked forward to in my younger years were reduced to painfully chaste discussions about rubbish because of this incredible gunk that had been smeared on their faces. I dated the girls when they were gunkless.

This leads me on to (yuck) lady boys. They see all this stupid stuff going on around them, decide that this is what attractive means and smear even more gunk on their unkissable faces in order to make themselves even more feminine. . I won't get on to the clothes they wear.

come on, you have to be joking, whiteness does nothing for me at all, I much prefer my wifes natural skin colour. All this is, is a bullsh*t add to make the gullible thai women think it helps them get a husband and to buy these crap products. Skin colour makes no difference what so ever, it who the person is that counts, this appeals to those women that are self obsessed only, any with half a brain knows it is bullsh*t.

I like white skin that is tanned, but the yellow tint on dark thai skin does nothing for me. Looks dirty.

Even coal black the one on the right looks better.

in theory i agree with you. imo dark skin women can be better looking than white skin women; aka thers ugly white skin women and pretty dark skin women and vice a versa. naomi campbell was quite a stunner.

in the case of these 2 pics in the story, the facial expressions on the black face are different and do depict sadness (imo) and therefore i'd choose the white skin one as better but not solely on the white basis.

Jaywalker: I feel like a bit of Thai bashing right now!

Thai Media: Resistance is Futile.

(Been watching too much Star Trek recently).

Utterly despicable racist bastards!

From the article:

"The segment almost immediately prompted a torrent of negative comments online from users who feel the advertisement verges on racism and skin color-based discrimination. Apparently in response to the criticism, Seoul Secret disabled the comments section on the video Friday morning."

I'm pretty sure these negative comments came from Thais, most of whom are just as appalled as any of the posters here. So you can get off your high horse already.

according to a bkk newspaper with initials BP, most of the thai social media posters just asked where they could buy the product. most of the racist comments were from non thai's.

Coming from South Africa I see skin whitening in a unique light. In the darkest days of Apartheid there were many skin lightening creams that were popular in the so called black market. But at no time did they advertise themselves in such a blatant manner. In those days the code phrase was to help dark skinned people "gain complexion"! But very soon the medical regulators stepped in to ban the products because of the skin damage that they caused. And of course since the advent of democracy the perceived advantage of a lighht skin has disappeared.

What Thailand lacks is a collective respect for people irrespective of skin colour, or ethnic origin. This egregious advertising is not new. Remember Dunkin Donuts a couple of years ago?! Thailand is racially and culturally insensitive and will not lose this attitude in our lifetimes because there is no one dealing with this arrogance.

if it's any consolation, us fat, smelly, ugly, tattoo laden w a. nk e r s are perceived as "hansum" because of the white skin.

tattoo laden: no comment

hansum: yes

fat: no

ugly: no

smelly: no

young (-45), rich, in good shape, witty (even in thai language), hòm dee though a little blèèèk: yes

seems theres many an expat racist also. seems they discriminate against white skin thai women as you rarely see one with such a gf or wife.

guys, this racism has to stop!

Bang on point. In my opinion the fair skinned ones are far more beautiful, but that's my opinion only - and thank goodness that we are all different. I think a lot of TV posters are so -ve because of the 'circumstances' they have found themselves in. tongue.png

Yes, and Rhino Horn powder will make you a sexual dream.In the South Polynesian islands the girls used to put cow dung on their face at night to bleach themselves white( kiss me honey). Whiteness if at all is only temporary at best.In the western world the truth in advertising laws would not allow these ads.

Edited by sanukjim

It is appalling for a company to exploit the obsession with white skin and all the prejudice displayed towards dark skin.

However they are probably correct in their claim that pale skin helps some get what they want in any society that holds such views.

Such a depressing situation.

"It is appalling for a company to exploit the obsession with white skin and all the prejudice displayed towards dark skin."

How about exploiting the obsession to sport a tan?

92995922e5dc7f0169f69d92bef31dd2.jpg

Lighter skin is especially a big deal among Indians. In Dubai there was a TV commercial aimed at glamorous Indian woman. It showed a pretty, slightly dark woman going to a modeling agency, where the the boss took one look at her and shook his head with a disgusted look on his face. So she goes out and buys some whitening cream, gets lighter skin, returns to the agency and the boss is all smiles; suddenly she's the queen of all models.

Colorism is a fact of life for anyone who lives in a dark-skin community, like it or not. I don't think that it can be blamed on Western countries pushing certain cosmetics to lighten skin. If there weren't a great demand for them, those skin-lighteners wouldn't be there. If you've been to a Bangkok store where cosmetics are sold recently, you will notice skin-lightening soaps and creams from every imaginable producer, including Japanese and Korean. They wouldn't be there if they didn't sell. And in case you think that colorism was invented by the cosmetics companies for their profit, you need to read essays about colorism in African, Asian and South American journals. You wil find that colorism has existed for a long, long time and I don't think that it's going away soon, despite PC pronouncements that it should disappear.

Thais that use these skin whitening products should also be subject to duel pricing policies, expected to pay more then their darker counterparts and prohibited from owning land and working at certain jobs. No half measures, if Thais want to become Farlangs they should have to accept the responsibilities that comes with the package of metamorphosing themselves into full blown whiteys.

By Nature woman and homosexual men are often found to be vain.

Woman in Asia lacking PC culture will openly show thoughts concealed in the west.

It once amused me to witness my ( then ) teen age daughter in Krabi ( from a westerner marriage) applying fake tan after a shower heading out with us to dinner .

While my Thai partner was busy getting her skin whitener on.

Woman associate skin tone in feudal systems with class.

The idea of darkening your skin reduces your statues to a farm worker.

Or worse a immigrant worker .

They see pretty actresses onTv all of whom seem curiously pale.

Meanwhile my daughter back then wanted to be tanned as it was seen in mind as healthy and ( ironically) leisure lifestyle.

Worlds apart.

What is sad is the bleaching agents damage skin greatly and can cause mutation in pigments and cancers.

Rats were really messed up in tests and some countries ban these products.

I have seen Thai racism where a dark man was told by the airline to get out of the window seat and give it to me.

This was because a mix up prevented the business class I had booked ( double booking)

So they gave me a future credit and then on boarding tried shuffling someone out of their seat to make up for error.

She choose a dark skinned man .

I refused.

Another time I was ushered through the flight crew and diplomat gate at 7am in Bangkok by an official who dragged me out of a cue of twenty Indians .

She loudly said ""you don't need to stand with these people ...sorry"" and moved me to the empty gate and official .

I was wearing a suit as I was on business .

But this shocked me.

Thailand is racist and innocently so.

A dark woman will think herself lower than a Bangkok white woman.

This is telling in the political divide.

There is a link to higher levels of society.

Everyone knows how hard it was to convince a whitish skinned Thai to sun bake or swim in the sea at midday.

Meanwhile my country has the highest skin cancer levels in world ( Australia) so I can't fault their logic .

Even if its based in sheer racism .

It explains why the elites can always play the superior card so long as the cast themselves as unrealistically as the soap operas cast white actors .

The link with wealth is further increased with westerners being pale and richer too.

The reality is I guess their is some truth in their theory .

Ice age survivor ancestors tend to be more able to solve problems .

Evolution I guess.

Maybe their desire to be white is an evolutionary desire to simply evolve perhaps their successful thinking more?

i got me one of those dark skinned Thai beauties you hear about with me right now.

you know the ones with the real long black hair.

i have lookin' her over real good.

she don't need that fancy whitening cream that city folk use.

see has the most smooth and flawless skin in these here parts.

she is 43 and looks 35. i ain't seen no white women like that before.

and her teeth look good too. better than my horse.

she keeps telling me she does not like her nose. not sure why. cute as a button.

she is so slim and not a ounce of fat on her. i hope she is not sick.

i reckon i'll keep her. but i can't understand half of what she says.