Avoiding Girls

Get some work (I'm currently unemployed)

Your wife is Thai, she works (quite hard if I well understood) in Hawai and hence has no time to take care of you.

In the meantime, you are American, unemployed, taking care of the house and complaining about the fact that your wife is working,...

And now, to feel like a man again, you want to go to Thailand to find work (in Thailand, not in Hawai of course, only Thai people can find work in Hawai,...)

Jeez, the ladies must sure LOVE you,...

Am I missing something here? :o

Geez, you guys like to fight.

I started this forum and already said this:

1 - I am not unemployed yet (will be next week)

2 - The REASON I'm going to Thailand is I got offered a 4 month contract there. I'm not going because I think it will be easier to find work there than here.

My wife and I have been married 15 years and raised 2 kids. She gives as good as she gets. She WANTS me to go to Thailand and take this job - I'm the one with mixed feelings about it, mainly because I don't want to be away from my son that long, and the hot season isn't my favorite time of year.

I was KIDDING about the feeling like a man again (I never stopped feeling like a man) - I was just responding point-by-pont to the previous post (the smiley faces means I'm kidding.)

There seems to be a strong anti-male sentiment on this board. I've got a feeling that you guys are full of guilt because you have a history of abusing your Thai GF/wifes. I do not share in that history!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IT Manager
There seems to be a strong anti-male sentiment on this board. I've got a feeling that you guys are full of guilt because you have a history of abusing your Thai GF/wifes. I do not share in that history!

My hugest apologies. I was sucking up to Gisele. She will be starting her new job in LOS soon.

The board does not have a strong anti-male sentiment at all, and both women agree with me on that (actually there are more but two works for levity).

I will add the following, which I would like you to append to my earlier post, and then re-read it.

Ready?

Here goes.....

:D

Also my wife isn't Thai, and the only time I whacked her, it was her, who carried me, to the car, and drove me to hospital for treatment...

Oops almost forgot.

Ready?

:o

Allow me to suggest that very, very, very few members of this board abuse their Thai GF/BF/Wife. Want to know how I know that? We all have fingers still.

Geez, you guys like to fight.

I started this forum and already said this:

1 - I am not unemployed yet (will be next week)

2 - The REASON I'm going to Thailand is I got offered a 4 month contract there. I'm not going because I think it will be easier to find work there than here.

My wife and I have been married 15 years and raised 2 kids. She gives as good as she gets. She WANTS me to go to Thailand and take this job - I'm the one with mixed feelings about it, mainly because I don't want to be away from my son that long, and the hot season isn't my favorite time of year.

I was KIDDING about the feeling like a man again (I never stopped feeling like a man) - I was just responding point-by-pont to the previous post (the smiley faces means I'm kidding.)

My sincere apologies FarangYaayYaaw.

Quite happy you were joking actually because I read quite a few similar stories from farang who were NOT joking,...

Abusing our wifes? Never or it must have been long ago and I don't remember :o (the smiley face means I'm kidding, better specify with the strong feminist presence on this forum,...) :D

Wow 2 appolgies in a row! (You guys reall MUST feel guilty about abusing your wives - I was just guessing! :o )

That was a joke!

(I hope.)

I was just driving home from watching a movie expecting a few more attacks. I had already composed my sappy "I've got enought grief in my life - this is abuse I can do without. Goodbye forever" speach in my mind when I powered up my computer and found 2 apologies instead. I can't even make a decent martyr!

Thank you.

I always thought Farangset meant French, and khon Farangset meant French person, and Farang was just short for that. When other white people started showing up they just called them all Farang (Thais seem to have a slight alergy to being too precise.) Any Thai linguists out there?

I've never thought of Farang as a derogatory term, but living here in Hawaii, when someone calls me a Haole I get a little suspicious.

It's not particularly a Thai language issue. 'Farang' comes from 'Frank', the Germanic people who conquered Northern Gaul and then dominated the rest (subduing the Visigoth and Burgundian conquerors of the rest of Gaul, if I remember correctly.) 'Farangset' is a natural borrowing of French 'français' (the final 's' may even have been pronounced in French at the time of initial French-Thai contact), composed of the same elements as 'French', and meaning to do with the Franks, now more specifically to do with the country they conquered, France, which literally means the country of the Franks. (The part of Germany where Franks remained is called Franconia.) The Franks, possibly due to the empire of Chalemagne, were the most prominent people of Western Europe, and the Greeks came to call Western Europeans Franks. Thence the word spread Eastwards.

There are many interesting snippets on the word at How Widespread is "Farang". To me, the etymology seemed obvious when I first heard the word.

The Star Trek species name 'Ferenghi' is believed to be a derivative!

Turning to Thai, 'Farang' is an ethnic term rather than a geographical term. Its unqualified application to blacks living in clearly Farang societies seems to be hesitant. I suspect Greeks are galled to be called 'farang'!

I always thought Farangset meant French, and khon Farangset meant French person, and Farang was just short for that. When other white people started showing up they just called them all Farang (Thais seem to have a slight alergy to being too precise.) Any Thai linguists out there?

I've never thought of Farang as a derogatory term, but living here in Hawaii, when someone calls me a Haole I get a little suspicious.

It's not particularly a Thai language issue. 'Farang' comes from 'Frank', the Germanic people who conquered Northern Gaul and then dominated the rest (subduing the Visigoth and Burgundian conquerors of the rest of Gaul, if I remember correctly.) 'Farangset' is a natural borrowing of French 'français' (the final 's' may even have been pronounced in French at the time of initial French-Thai contact), composed of the same elements as 'French', and meaning to do with the Franks, now more specifically to do with the country they conquered, France, which literally means the country of the Franks. (The part of Germany where Franks remained is called Franconia.) The Franks, possibly due to the empire of Chalemagne, were the most prominent people of Western Europe, and the Greeks came to call Western Europeans Franks. Thence the word spread Eastwards.

There are many interesting snippets on the word at How Widespread is "Farang". To me, the etymology seemed obvious when I first heard the word.

The Star Trek species name 'Ferenghi' is believed to be a derivative!

Turning to Thai, 'Farang' is an ethnic term rather than a geographical term. Its unqualified application to blacks living in clearly Farang societies seems to be hesitant. I suspect Greeks are galled to be called 'farang'!

Richard W, thank you for the historical piece; it was very interesting.

You wrote that you have been married for 15 years and brought up 2 kids...Did you have them before you got married...or, dropped them off very early? Surely you're still "bringing them up"!

The oldest it 23 - he is my stepson. I've been maried 15 years, but lived with my wife 3 years before we were married - so he was 6 when we started living together. He is now married himself and has a 3 year old daughter (my wife was a grandmogher at 36!)

My younger son is 12, and yes we're still raising him. Sorry about the confusion.

• 2 weeks later...