Travellers Checks

I got some Canadian travellers cheques before i came back to Thailnd and K Bank at the airport wanted to charge a 150 B surcharge for each cheque. SCB wouldn't even take them.

Has there been problems with TC's? I hope I can change them.

Im in Cha Am. Can anybody give suggestions?

Thanks in advance

The cashing fee for TCs went from Bt33 per cheque (Bt30 + Bt3 govt duty) over a year ago....new & improved fee is Bt153 (Bt150 + Bt3 govt duty). Yes, the Thai banks increased the fee 5 fold. Makes cashing small denomination TCs costly.

Hard to cash now in thailand and as already said went from 33 baht to 152 baht per cheque. Bangkok Bank usually will cash them.I went to american express in Bangkok a few years ago. they donot even honor their cheques here had to go to Bangkok bank to cash.

Avoid using traveller's cheques in Thailand as you'll get ripped off, and bank tellers don't like them either However, make sure you have a Plan B if your ATM cards get lost or stolen, if the ATM machine gobbles one up or if your bank "freezes" your ATM card for whatever reason. Traveller's cheques might still be useful as an emergency backup, especially if you're staying in Thailand for an extended period of time. Otherwise, try not to use them in Thailand, and convert them back to cash when you return to your home country.

I used to use travellers cheques (correct English spelling) all the time here. BUT, for what ever reason Thai banks basically boycotted them. You used to even get a better rate of exchange than cash. This was because they could hold the cheque until the got a better exchange rate at a later date.

I think it became easier for them to rip everyone off by charging 150 baht everytime you pull out of an ATM and back in your home country you get ripped off by your own bank on the echange rate...double Scammy whammy for Touris' (incorrect spelling of tourist in Thailand).

As mentioned only have them as a back up now.

Thanks everyone. I just got them so I wouldn't have to carry cash. As suggested I will take them back to Canada next year.

Thainess at it's finest. They say that the want tourist but rip everyone off once they arrive.

Thailand is loosing and they just don't get it.

I still have a few GBP Sterling ones tucked away for emergencies. Try to keep the purchase receipts as well, as I have found AMEX to require all sorts of information on a whim.

Sometimes real problems changing them, taking almost an hour. Other times same bank all goes smoothly.

My local K bank had a limit of £600/day. I have changed £1000 in BKK Bank. Having highest denominations saves money on the THB153/cheque.

Much less popular nowadays. In fact my local FOREX told me they are being phased out.