British man found dead on Koh Tao

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the initial shock of the Facebook message from Laura Witheridge, and the sadness I feel for her and her family ,it's left me with some unanswered questions. I can't imagine how Laura must be feeling and having to deal with the threats and fear and the disgust with what's been said to her and the family.. I really couldn't imagine that the Thai authorities and Police would go that low and although I knew corruption is rife it takes some low life to intimidate and threaten the family like they did. The comments about she's dead already and go and make another one are despicable and quite honestly beyond belief but to try and buy them off ! with compensation shows them up for what they are. Sadly for Thailand Brits as a nation generally stand up and don't like wrongdoing and I'm not surprised that eventually this last murder/accident has triggered all that pent up frustration.. How difficult it must have been knowing your beloved sister has been murdered and yet your scared to speak out because of fear for your life and also told you be quiet and let it die down. I hope now that this is out in the open,and many on here including me thought it would come out eventually, that Laura and the family are able to expand on what happened to them in the course of trial and the various meetings with Thai officials and British Embassy.. This statement issued by Laura is equally as unbelievable as was the statement issued straight after the court case by the Miller family..I'm sorry but while Laura's statement totally rings true and is without doubt is from the heart and is believable I'm afraid the Millers statement still fills me with astonishment and makes you wonder how they could come out with such which was totally at odds with what we all learned from the court case and what we now know from the Witheridge family. I wonder if the Miller family are still so happy with the RTP ,the court proceedings and their statement !!

A pretty damning criticism of the RTP (and indeed Thailand) has just been posted by Laura Witheridge on her facebook page. It refers to this incident.

sorry, out of Likes .... thank you very much for this link !!!!

what a striking different to a David's bro statement !

(perhaps also an "explanation" _ reason, behind his shocking "satisfaction with a justice been served"?)

nope sorry I will still defend what the Millar family said, they are ordinary people who looked listened and believed, they don't know any better and have put trust in what they were told which if at home is very reasonable because most people believe police are actually trying to solve crimes and convict the correct people.

What I believe will happen going forward is that they will at some point discus this with people that have experienced in such matters who can actually explain what went on, at some point they will come to realise that they have in fact been somewhat premature in saying what they did, personally I think they have inadvertantly disrespected David which when push comes to .....was just down to pure ignorance and lack of knowledge ........nothing else

As with all these cases on Koh Tao, when it comes to actually producing hard irrefutable evidence (which you must do in the west) these cases consistently come up with nothing and leave huge gaping holes and more questions than answers - that should not happen in any criminal case - there should be no questions.....simple as that

By comparison in the UK (and most other developed countries) when police investigate and build a case for prosecution there are very rarely questions about the structure and material aspects of a case such as evidence, how it was gathered, protocols, procedures, rights etc, what defence lawyers will try to do is find issues with the procedures (which are set in stone) - errors in paperwork - handling of evidence - improperly conducted interviews and stuff like that, they generally look for admin errors and exploit them with the aim to derail what most people would regard as a solid iron clad case only to have it dismissed on a technicality or exploit a weakness to created doubt.

A fine example would be to claim you have DNA evidence but are unable to produce it and/or supported it with the proper legally required paperwork

cctv is another one, it has become a very useful tool in the west for investigating and building a solid case for prosecution - police cars, streets, buildings etc are all well covered with cctv, it also serves as a tool to protect people and make sure that people are not abused and stitched up and truth is always easy to establish and prove, that is all well and good until a cop claims the camera stopped working 5 mins before the guy fell hit his head and died.

edited after reading

Edited by smedly

The Isle of Wight is not small like koh toa has 1400 population and 140.000 plus Isle of Wight.

The population in Thailand us based on how many people have their house book on a certain address.

It does not count in guest workers from the mainland, Burmese or tourists.

After the initial shock of the Facebook message from Laura Witheridge, and the sadness I feel for her and her family ,it's left me with some unanswered questions. I can't imagine how Laura must be feeling and having to deal with the threats and fear and the disgust with what's been said to her and the family.. I really couldn't imagine that the Thai authorities and Police would go that low and although I knew corruption is rife it takes some low life to intimidate and threaten the family like they did. The comments about she's dead already and go and make another one are despicable and quite honestly beyond belief but to try and buy them off ! with compensation shows them up for what they are. Sadly for Thailand Brits as a nation generally stand up and don't like wrongdoing and I'm not surprised that eventually this last murder/accident has triggered all that pent up frustration.. How difficult it must have been knowing your beloved sister has been murdered and yet your scared to speak out because of fear for your life and also told you be quiet and let it die down. I hope now that this is out in the open,and many on here including me thought it would come out eventually, that Laura and the family are able to expand on what happened to them in the course of trial and the various meetings with Thai officials and British Embassy.. This statement issued by Laura is equally as unbelievable as was the statement issued straight after the court case by the Miller family..I'm sorry but while Laura's statement totally rings true and is without doubt is from the heart and is believable I'm afraid the Millers statement still fills me with astonishment and makes you wonder how they could come out with such which was totally at odds with what we all learned from the court case and what we now know from the Witheridge family. I wonder if the Miller family are still so happy with the RTP ,the court proceedings and their statement !!

I am wrestling with this like you and Smedley. How could the two families come to such different conclusions? I posted a while ago that I had met someone who works with Hannah's cousin and she told me the family never believed what they had been told by the RTP. This certainly confirms that. Now we hear they had been offered money and been threatened. Could this explain the Miller's response? The fact the Miller's statement was prepared before the verdict and parroted the prosecution's claims suggests something very dark has been going on.

Hopefully this is a long way from over and eventually we will all see the light.

I am wrestling with this like you and Smedley. How could the two families come to such different conclusions? I posted a while ago that I had met someone who works with Hannah's cousin and she told me the family never believed what they had been told by the RTP. This certainly confirms that. Now we hear they had been offered money and been threatened. Could this explain the Miller's response? The fact the Miller's statement was prepared before the verdict and parroted the prosecution's claims suggests something very dark has been going on.

Hopefully this is a long way from over and eventually we will all see the light.

Sadly I would agree with you as what's maybe gone on with the Millers statement. I know Smedley feels it's understandable for lay people to be carried along by what the authorities tell them and I can understand that for sure but their statement was very strong and like you feel pre prepared. I would also ,and am reluctant to say this,feel,that something dark has definitely gone on here..I too think there's so much more that's now going to come out and we might get the truth that's been denied up to now. Edited by Nigeone

enlightening new statement from witheridge family on koh tao murder.

http://www.andrew-drummond.com/2016/01/witheridge-family-breaks-silence-on-koh.html

Neither enlightening nor new but it will be removed from here very soon. What's it got to do with the drowning anyway?

It's not your right..and as for what is it doing here, attempts have been made to,open a dedicated thread and it's been closed straight away...not sure why ?

Interesting article,obvious that millers brother does not have the same feelings, she spoke well and it is related to Luke Miller as she mentions this.

so I hope they stand up for the B2 but seems they might be afraid to come near LOS again.

Laura Witheridge's statement has been published in full in today's Telegraph as well. The Telegraph is not some red top scandal rag either, it is a well-respected newspaper.

Sister of murdered British tourist Hannah Witheridge attacks 'bungling' Thai police

Hannah Witheridge’s sister Laura delivers powerful attack on perception of Thailand as a tourist idyll

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/12093087/Sister-of-murdered-British-tourist-Hannah-Witheridge-attacks-bungling-Thai-police.html

Please note that Laura Witheridge decided to speak out after hearing the news about Luke Miller. Laura's statement is both heart-breaking and disturbing.

..... and very necessary

Thailand knows no shame, but it now has the BBC and worldwide media embarasment thanks to a Brave Witheridge girl.

I hope that the Luke Miller case recieves justice and the truth comes out, if this was murder then some serious clean up work is needed in LOS, this can,t go on.

The families that run thesee islands are making fortunes from drug peddling and selling cocktails to tourists, and worse now they have immunity to any investigative process or prosecution.

after reading Laura's statement I can imagine why the Millers said what they said: being broken by threats and money

Understand that the Witheridge family's trips to Thailand, after Hannah was taken from them , was funded by public subscription raised primarily in the Uk.

In the light of the contrasting Miller ( David) post trial statements, can one be excused for wondering where the funding for their frequent visits to Thailand originated?

One has to have huge faith in randomness not to see a coincidence in events involving the tragedies of Nick Pearson, David Miller and now Luke Miller.

Understand that the Witheridge family's trips to Thailand, after Hannah was taken from them , was funded by public subscription raised primarily in the Uk.

In the light of the contrasting Miller ( David) post trial statements, can one be excused for wondering where the funding for their frequent visits to Thailand originated?

One has to have huge faith in randomness not to see a coincidence in events involving the tragedies of Nick Pearson, David Miller and now Luke Miller.

You can be excused. I had the same thought after their ridiculous statement.

after reading Laura's statement I can imagine why the Millers said what they said: being broken by threats and money

Yes sadly I think your right and as smedly has said one day they will realise what's really gone on and I can't help feeling they will,regret that statement so much..Laura Witheridge has been so brave and if she saves someone else from being murdered she can feel proud and justified in her stance ! And if her statement ends up meaning this case gets blown wide open she will deserve credit for that too....I so hope it happens Edited by Nigeone

“He didn’t look like someone who had been in the water for hours — there was still dried blood on his face.”

I know this is about Nick Pearson but.........

no wonder the speculation

We don't need speculation in any matter, each should be treated as an separate case, not running into or off another incident. The only common denominator is Koh Tao Island, so please let's stick with the subject at hand.

At what stage do you consider that the prevalence of tourist deaths on this tiny island should become an issue? 5? Check, 10? check. 100?

For my part, I share others concerns about this merry go round KT seems to be on. When my young relatives visit I warn them off the island as a matter of course. Samui and KPG, though not perfect examples of safety do not seem to suffer from the same high incidence of biting the hand that feeds them.

What are you on about. Any death is of concern but I am getting sick and tired of people speculating and putting up unrealistic scenarios and turning assumptions and innuendos into fact. So before you jump out of your tree, understand what I have written. if you have difficulty in doing so, then maybe you shouldn't comment.

Well good for you, warning people off, if that is you belief then do it, I don't think we need to know about it. Do you think this little bullish action on your behalf will have any bearing on the numbers who attend there, I doubt it.

Speculation is one thing, but there are a lot of coincidences involved here. Whilst I accept your defence of the case until facts are produced, you appear to be a staunch defender of KT. If that is true, shouldn't KT defenders be more interested in preventing this type of tragedy happening again?

Shouldn't there be more time given to safety on the island. Shouldn't there be more attention given to having all CCTV working. As no Thai would ever be involved in such cases, it would at least give everyone a clue to what those pesky Burmese get up to at night..!!!

Sorry to say that Michael Miller has been exposed as a pompish git, then maybe he is scarred and wants to wash his hands of all this and protect mummie and Daddy.

I think he should man up a bit, why let 2 innocent scapegoats die and Mon and his gang run free.

Sorry to say that Michael Miller has been exposed as a pompish git, then maybe he is scarred and wants to wash his hands of all this and protect mummie and Daddy.

I think he should man up a bit, why let 2 innocent scapegoats die and Mon and his gang run free.

That's maybe a bit strong but I understand why you say it..If he's been threatened with what had happened it's easy to see why they would be scared .Also if they did take money from the RTP as 'compensation' then he's in a hole that's not easy to get out off..If they have and it gets out can you imagine the outcry ! But your right..he needs to wise up, and then man up and hopefully between them all this murdering can stop..

I just checked my email and a message from Maria Miller is there via facebook, I sent her a message on facebook as many of you here are saying that her posts are a troll.

It is her and she just wants answers and justice.

She is also cautious about contacting TV members as she feels that there may be some on this site that may not be trustworthy.

I do not have her email nor does she have mine and I wish her the best of luck and my sincere condolences .

I just checked my email and a message from Maria Miller is there via facebook, I sent her a message on facebook as many of you here are saying that her posts are a troll.

She is also cautious about contacting TV members as she feels that there may be some on this site that may not be trustworthy.

I do not have her email nor does she have mine and I wish her the best of luck and my sincere condolences .

clap2.gif (out of Likes, again) ... thank you!

and thanks to Maria AND Laura for being smart and brave !!! ... their siblings up there are proud of them as much as all reasonable people up here.

Let's support them with all our might, trust, love and respect, as these two may bring some changes we have been only dreaming about

May God's Love be with you girls all the way and all the time!

We all hear you and won't leave you stand out there alone!

I wrote this immediately after Xmas and have sent to many I know around the globe;

Please spread the word.....don't go to Thailand.

It used to be a country with beautiful beaches and smiles that adorned every face but now too many of the Thais use Buddha as a means of absolving themselves from any wrong doing.

They feel no remorse when they do something bad because they don't possess a conscience as we do in the west. Its not naturally innate; a meme that we have that Thais and Buddhists do not. They also don't understand or respect consequence and accountability.

The majority of Thais are truly good 'down to earth' people having a genuine smile the country was once famous for but, the majority are too uneducated and oblivious to care about anything worth caring about anyhow.

Thais from a young age are taught to respect their elders and authority without question.

Boys are to walk a straight line, and girls to be pretty.

Their education system is substandard because their governing body and teachers are substandard.

They are never taught to ask "why", just do. Independence is rare and the people are too insular.

There is a rising middle class becoming more well informed with minds equipped to change but are unable to whilst the Military maintain power.

Article 44 of the Junta imposed constitution gives the leader of this draconian regime unchecked authority to do as he pleases. It prevents people speaking freely; a gag order, but most Thais don't care enough anyhow.

The legal system is corrupt to the core.

The police are corrupt and incompetent.

Until it changes, tell your friends and loved ones "don't go to Thailand".

You're money is all that is wanted, and should something happen whether it be right or wrong, you will pay. There is no common law or justice in this country as we know.

Greed and money is above all else.

The author could behind bars for an indefinite period of time.

You don't believe?

You in your home countries are not privy to how it really works.

Check the recent outcome of two Burmese lads sentenced to death for the murder of two British backpackers 15 months ago. The regime chose Christmas Eve for the court ruling because they know we westerners are not 'tuned in' at this time.

There was not one piece of tangible or DNA evidence presented by prosecution.

The police through incompetence, corruption, and torture didn't seek justice, they sought scapegoats.

The paid police tampered with, withheld, and changed evidence.

Hurry a conviction through, make it go away, keep the status quo, do whatever is necessary to keep the tourist dollar coming in.

People were paid off by those with blood on their hands and two sacrificial lambs took the wrap.

It's a <deleted> great miscarriage of justice to say the least.

What's more is, the victims families have been spoon fed bullshit by silver tongued Thais clouding the real facts.

No country is perfect but this one is worse than most.

Again, don't come here...not until it changes.

That's not quite right..only a couple have actually said that, and a few have asked for some sort of verification which you can understand. As far as I'm concerned Islandlover vouched for her and that will do me...but her case hasn't been helped as she only came on here basically,once with a statement and then nothing more...so,it's easy to see why some would be wary...did she give anymore information etc as there's been no news which is a bit strange when you consider the usual methods of RTP. Something doesn't sit right about Luke Millers death for sure..

I didn't ask her just wished her luck the BK post is silent on this case, have not read todays issue but that alone is a worry.

No the time gap from 5-30 to 7-30 is probably the key to this and whoever was with him .

I hope the truth comes out someone knows something.

I thank Laura Witheridge for speaking out finaly, I think that will rattle a few heads, hope the BK post starts reporting on this or maybe thay are told to shut up.

All posters should watch the You Tube anonymous account of the deaths on Koh Tao very well put together.

That's not quite right..only a couple have actually said that, and a few have asked for some sort of verification which you can understand. As far as I'm concerned Islandlover vouched for her and that will do me...but her case hasn't been helped as she only came on here basically,once with a statement and then nothing more...so,it's easy to see why some would be wary...did she give anymore information etc as there's been no news which is a bit strange when you consider the usual methods of RTP. Something doesn't sit right about Luke Millers death for sure..

I didn't ask her just wished her luck the BK post is silent on this case, have not read todays issue but that alone is a worry.

No the time gap from 5-30 to 7-30 is probably the key to this and whoever was with him .

I hope the truth comes out someone knows something.

I thank Laura Witheridge for speaking out finaly, I think that will rattle a few heads, hope the BK post starts reporting on this or maybe thay are told to shut up.

All posters should watch the You Tube anonymous account of the deaths on Koh Tao very well put together.

Sadly it's not been mentioned on Sky News or BBC live news feeds in the UK either..The thing is there's many good concerned and knowledgable people on here with many qualities and a lot of determination to see justice done. If she knows or suspects something and has information if she would share it there's many that can help and for sure will. Am sure that the silence is not a coincidence II and is controlled.

Scarred / scared or both?

Whichever, he seems to have been well compensated for his speech written by his speech writers that he delivered on the steps of the Koh Samui courthouse.

That's maybe a bit strong but I understand why you say it..If he's been threatened with what had happened it's easy to see why they would be scared .Also if they did take money from the RTP as 'compensation' then he's in a hole that's not easy to get out off..If they have and it gets out can you imagine the outcry ! But your right..he needs to wise up, and then man up and hopefully between them all this murdering can stop..

It would be par for the course that what compensation the Thai authorities offered the Witheridges, they also offered similar to the Miller family. In Laura's statement they rejected the offers, and were then subjected to ongoing indescribable abuse and death threats by THAIS. Logically then, the B2 could not be the killers (because why should the THAIS care?).

That didn't happen to the Millers. So, tell me what decision did the Millers make? Go with the flow. Keep an open mind. Suck up to the hand that feeds it? After all, the B2 were probably implicated, so what's the problem?

As to the murdering stopping, there's little chance of that until the killer(s) are caught - and that won't happen until the island is cleared by the Junta. In Luke Miller's case, the PM should have immediately sent no-nonsense (if any exist) BKK RTP to investigate, not rely on local RTP to fudge the truth yet again.

It would be par for the course that what compensation the Thai authorities offered the Witheridges, they also offered similar to the Miller family. In Laura's statement they rejected the offers, and were then subjected to ongoing indescribable abuse and death threats by THAIS. Logically then, the B2 could not be the killers (because why should the THAIS care?).

That didn't happen to the Millers. So, tell me what decision did the Millers make? Go with the flow. Keep an open mind. Suck up to the hand that feeds it? After all, the B2 were probably implicated, so what's the problem?

As to the murdering stopping, there's little chance of that until the killer(s) are caught - and that won't happen until the island is cleared by the Junta. In Luke Miller's case, the PM should have immediately sent no-nonsense (if any exist) BKK RTP to investigate, not rely on local RTP to fudge the truth yet again.

"That didn't happen to the Millers."

How do you know that?

I guess it was exactly the same that happened to them

Can someone put together a comprehensive timeline of all of the foreigner's deaths just on Koh Tao? You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.

Based on what. With (tens of) thousands of active people at any time seems to me the reported death rate is very low. Would expect several a year from accidents, heart attacks, illness, etc

I would laugh, except it isn't funny.

'You would think that for a small island the death of a visitor would be a very rare occasion, but here's another one.' True, not just that but perfectly healthy and young people are dying, ...... regularly.

I don't think there is a serial killer as such, I think there is a gang of serial Thai thugs who are targeting young innocent western women for sex and if they are rejected they are then resorting to rape and murder and also murdering any male farang that gets in their way or tries to interfere, that is what I honestly believe

Edited by seedy
Quote hidden post

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

She has heard that the best private investigators are to be found here on this forum. She does not trust the Thai police, not even the UK authorities and certainly not the media. She wants the Thaivisa forum's finest to work on this case!

Did you EVER, even for a second consider, that this might actually be his sister posting?

I know, we are not supposed to discuss posters personally, but you make me sick!

maria miller, on 09 Jan 2016 - 17:12, said:

This is my little brother luke that you're all talking about, an amazing brother, uncle, son and friend to so so many. Yes, he was a joker and yes he lived life to the full. . However, this wasn't an accident and believe me, I really wish it was. There are so many inconsistencies it's unbelievable. The police are trying to cover up so many things. First off, he wasn't even found in the complex where he was staying. There was no ccTV at the sunset bar it was conveniently not switched on or it was wiped. If he wasn't found until the next morning where the hell was everyone when this "accident" happened? How come no one heard or saw anything? Where the hell did his bruises come from? Especially the ones found on his arms. . We will get justice for you baby brother, I promise I will do whatever I can. Love you millions my darling baby brother. Xxxxx

If this is genuine please can you put the same on your Facebook page

She has heard that the best private investigators are to be found here on this forum. She does not trust the Thai police, not even the UK authorities and certainly not the media. She wants the Thaivisa forum's finest to work on this case!

Did you EVER, even for a second consider, that this might actually be his sister posting?

I know, we are not supposed to discuss posters personally, but you make me sick!

I agree with you absolutely. Quite a number of these rtp apologists have been guilty of sickening callousness in their comments, almost on a par with the scum who commited these crimes and roam free to do it again.

There's no accounting for human nature. How low would anyone stoop to protect their interests and those of their paymasters? Right down to gutter level and below apparently. It's not only Thais, as someone suggested, who have no concept of conscience.

Ignoring their sick fantasies is my preferred way to deal with them. Why give them the pleasure of being acknowledged as if their lies, digressions, obfuscations, deliberate baiting and general disregard for the obvious truth, apart from their overall disregard for human life.....as if any of this garbage was worth responding directly to them.

Luke's sister and Hannah's are indeed brave young woman who probably don't see it that way themselves. They just want justice to be done and seen to be done for their departed siblings. I think any of us would do the same if it was our brothers and sisters whose lives had been lost in such a meaningless way.They want people to realise the corruption and cover-ups involved and see the depths to which Kho Tao officialdom will stoop to protect their precious baht and save their worthless faces.

I hope the efforts of the decent-minded people who post on here can go some way to support them.