Can I get married with my Thai girlfriend in Koh Samui?

Can I get married with my Thai girlfriend in Koh Samui?

Yes but you will need an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from your embassy which then needs to be translated before being certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

you can get an agent to do it all for you. If you were previously married you need the divorce papers as well. As your GF is Thai she only needs her ID card and Tambien Baan at the Amphur once you have completed all your things.

Edited by beano2274

Thanks for your replay Orac.

Can i sort this out by email? Or do i need to go to Bkk?

Thanks again.

Not sure on that as dependent on if your embassy requires you to be there in person.

Not sure on you nationality but if you are British the the affirmation must be made in person at the Consular Section of the British Embassy in Bangkok.

Information for British nationals intending to marry in Thailand https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/490147/Publication._Marriage_Guidance_-_Jan_2016.pdf

For other nationalities check you embassies website. if you are not Thai you will need a "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" to marry in Thailand.

Yes there is no problem. As already mentioned you will need a freedom to marry certificate from your embassy/consulate. Depending on your nationality this can sometimes be done on island.

This then needs to be translated into Thai by a recognised Thai language translator (the translator does not necessarily have to be Thai).

You should then visit the amphur office in Nathon and ask what other papers they will need from both you and your intended wife.

Good luck

Amphor office in Nathon, and should after saying be very easy.
I recall a post some years back (cannot remember where, think it was one of the local printed papers), about a tourist couple who thought it would be nice to get married at Koh Samui and asked a taxi driver about advice. He drove them to the Amphor in Nathon where they showed the office officials all their papers to check if everything was in order, and make an appointment to come back next week and be married. The taxi driver helped as translator, as the the officials did not speak English. At the end they were showed a Thai document and asked to sign, which they did, and the taxi driver then translated with a big smile: »Now you [are] husband and wife..!«

Wish you good luck... smile.png