What's with all the Huskies?

Rob13

These dogs get on fine with the heat. Their coat is double layered so it helps to keep the heat out and they shed their coat 2-3 times a year !!

My 2 will sit in the sun for 30-60 minutes at a time if I let them. Great dogs but the hair everywhere is a nightmare!

and what breed of dog have you had in thailand ARONP1.

Haven't had any dogs in Thailand yet. I have had European German Shepherds. (That's the German breed not American).

if you do ever live permently in thailand and want a dog,think and choose very carefully,there are so many dangers here sometimes its a nightmare which is heartbreaking to witness.

having been a owner trainer of greyhounds for 20yrs.in the uk.i thought that looking after them was a dodle compared to owning a dog here.

no snakes,no ticks in clean kennels,no mossy's,no stray dogs.and no vets that will rip you off,only injuries and in warm weather you dont race them.

i am just glad i am with our boy 24/7.

as for huskies well everyone knows my feelings for them.

and what breed of dog have you had in thailand ARONP1.

Haven't had any dogs in Thailand yet. I have had European German Shepherds. (That's the German breed not American).

if you do ever live permently in thailand and want a dog,think and choose very carefully,there are so many dangers here sometimes its a nightmare which is heartbreaking to witness.

having been a owner trainer of greyhounds for 20yrs.in the uk.i thought that looking after them was a dodle compared to owning a dog here.

no snakes,no ticks in clean kennels,no mossy's,no stray dogs.and no vets that will rip you off,only injuries and in warm weather you dont race them.

i am just glad i am with our boy 24/7.

as for huskies well everyone knows my feelings for them.

If we do get a dog it won't be until we have a house. Also if we go that route I really would like to stick with the completely black shepherd. Still just a thought. Love them greyhounds.

Enough guess work. go read this http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed5.html, People, Google is your friend, it beats me why so many seem to post on TV, surely they know that many people will give an opinion but not based on much fact. This is sometimes the worst place to ask advise, as we know eventually it will lead to either Thaksin and Yingluck bashing or to a discussion on "qualified" or "unqualified" English speaking teachers.

Utterly useless link. For evidence about their ability to live in hotter climates it considers Florida - nowhere near at hot as Thailand. (Google tells me maximum temperature is typically in low 30s in summer there.)

Clearly in this case using Google has not been your friend.

I believe it also mentions Australia, which gets hotter than Thailand... maybe Google is your friend, only if you can read.

Enough guess work. go read this http://www.siberrescue.com/huskyed5.html, People, Google is your friend, it beats me why so many seem to post on TV, surely they know that many people will give an opinion but not based on much fact. This is sometimes the worst place to ask advise, as we know eventually it will lead to either Thaksin and Yingluck bashing or to a discussion on "qualified" or "unqualified" English speaking teachers.

Utterly useless link. For evidence about their ability to live in hotter climates it considers Florida - nowhere near at hot as Thailand. (Google tells me maximum temperature is typically in low 30s in summer there.)

Clearly in this case using Google has not been your friend.

I believe it also mentions Australia, which gets hotter than Thailand... maybe Google is your friend, only if you can read.

Let's try the actual quotation:

"Siberian Huskies are found all over the world, from the deep southern part of the United States, where it is very warm and humid, to South Africa, Russia, New Zealand , Australia, and Alaska. Literally all over the globe in every climate you can imagine. Even here in Florida!"

So, once again going back to Florida. Other references are to SA, Russia, New Zealand, Australia and Alaska - not a single country with a climate remotely resembling Thailand, and not one in SE Asia.

And yes, they may be "found all over the world". It doesn't mean they thrive in the climates concerned, or that they don't get brain damaged from overheating.

• 1 month later...

I guess this one didn't "acclimate" so well...

My friends husky in thailand likes to eat icecubes.

ours love them tooooooooooo,tell your freind to look up on google,FROSTY PAWS its ice cream for dogs,easy to make ours love it.

Nearly ALL dogs love ice cubes in hot weather. Just feed them slow enough not to arrive as chunks of ice in their stomach. I have two (ice loving) Spanish Mastiffs, and they are doing FINE in Thailand. How well Huskies fare is really just dependant on the master...

it is very common to get respond from people including OP that huskies are not suitable in hot climate.

It is not 100% true. Most husky have double coat fur. The purpose of double coat fur is to protect the dog from cold and it is also the reason why they survive so well in those crazy cold environment. But many people are not aware that the double coat fur also helps the dog to keep themself cool in a hot environment. I can't comment about whether it applied to all husky, but it definitely applies to my locally breed huskies .... 3 of my husky love sunbathing sleeping under the hot sun.

thumbsup.gif

Archived