• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 36

60 Minutes blasted after replacing harris word salad…

2. 45

Reasons of change

3. 45

Reasons of change

4. 45

Reasons of change

5. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

6. 112

Thai Police Bust Multi-Million Baht Sex Toy Smuggling Ring

7. 45

Reasons of change

8. 45

Reasons of change

9. 6

Thai woman sends husband to prison for raping 13 year old niece

10. 45

Reasons of change

11. 10

Why Doesnt "Me Too" Apply to Democrats?

12. 123

Why Do You Even Drink?

13. 93

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

Illegal Chinese tour guide arrested at famous Phuket landmark

snoop1130

Illegal Chinese tour guide arrested at famous Phuket landmark
Eakkapop Thongtub

post-249866-0-98406600-1452518870_thumb.
Wu Daolin was arrested wile conducting a tour at Promthep Cape. Photo Ekkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A Chinese man was arrested at the famous Phuket landmark, Promthep Cape,this morning (Jan 11) for working as an illegal tour guide when he was seen conducting a tour of the area for 20 Chinese tourists.

Tourist police and Director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office (MoTS), Santi Pawai, led a team of officers and arrested 23-year-old Wu Daolin and seized from him a list of tourist's names, four tour programs offered by Fong Yun Travel Co Ltd, six receipts for tour programs, 42 entry ticket to Similan National Park, and a number of membership cards for shops across the island.

Mr Santi explained, “The arrest came after an officer doing a routine patrol of the area spotted a Phang-nga registered minivan with Fong Yun Travel Co Ltd sign writing parked in the area.

“They then noticed Daolin conducting a tour for 20 Chinese tourists,” he said.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/illegal-chinese-tour-guide-arrested-at-famous-phuket-landmark-55748.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-01-11

His name was on the list of tourists....I get it.

Other countries should also not allow Thai tour guides also. I was on such a trip to Australia last year. There was a Thai tour guide organising things, and we were taken here and there. Interestingly, another man, a Chinese guy, turned up at a number of restaurants we ate at for dinner. They got a nice little deal going there. Maybe that is allowed to happen in Australia; not sure of the laws there regarding foreign tour guides.

If Thailand wants to crack down on this, they need more Chinese speakers. But I think it more like Thais are missing their cut of the pie. That's the real issue.

His name was on the list of tourists....I get it.

Other countries should also not allow Thai tour guides also. I was on such a trip to Australia last year. There was a Thai tour guide organising things, and we were taken here and there. Interestingly, another man, a Chinese guy, turned up at a number of restaurants we ate at for dinner. They got a nice little deal going there. Maybe that is allowed to happen in Australia; not sure of the laws there regarding foreign tour guides.

If Thailand wants to crack down on this, they need more Chinese speakers. But I think it more like Thais are missing their cut of the pie. That's the real issue.

Thai Tour guide in Australia I'm sure would have had the correct status to work in Australia, or maybe the Thai is an Australian citizen.

The chinese tour guide on-the-other-hand in Thailand of course did not have the correct paperwork, and is prohibited from working in certain areas with regards to foreigner business act (The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281), and therefore quite rightly got arrested. Taking jobs away from Thais ia a serious offence of course.

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A:

1. Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming.

2. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade.

3. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B.

1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.

2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.

3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.

4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.

5. Land, water & i.e. Transport.

Category C.

You are allowed to do the following:

Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.